• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 5 Coverage! (expect spoilers)

I am so not going to watch any of the videos, but guys...how does the A.I. look? There were some doubts about this not so long ago, when a few videos surfaced, but how does it look and on what difficulty?

Watched a little of the GB & GS streams, they were good. The games look well refined and looks good for running on X1 @60fps (at least from the streams).

Have to say I am excited and will pre-order tonight. Looking forward to this one.

Edit: Also - dem cutscenes doe...

ironcreed

Banned
I am so not going to watch any of the videos, but guys...how does the A.I. look? There were some doubts about this not so long ago, when a few videos surfaced, but how does it look and on what difficulty?

It looks great. The game should definitely kick your ass on Legendary and put up a hell of a fight on Heroic. But I plan to start on normal as usual.

It looks like individual enemies have less health than, say, Reach (which seems to be out of a desire to make the entire weapon sandbox viable on any difficulty, as opposed to more or less being forced to stick to the noob combo to turtle through encounters on Legendary) but all of the enemies typically move around in groups, are extremely aware of their surroundings, and most of them are just as nimble as the Spartans themselves. Grunts will now die instantly if you shoot their methane tank (on Normal), but Hunters bat away grenades and will aggressively guard downed Spartans to prevent their revival, most Elites will no-sell straight-up charges into melee by switching to a backpacked Energy Sword, one-shotting you and then switching back to their ranged weapon (as opposed to Ultras just pulling it out when aggro'd), Jackals have jump-packs and will actively reposition to try and get better shots on you and find cover, etc.

Jackals also speak English on occasion.

The Friendly AI looked decent, I saw a few cases where it seemed like maybe they were confused.. but it could be based on orders given to them by the player.

Enemy AI seemed fine from what I saw.

RoKKeR

Here is a question: If one of your AI teammates gets downed, if I'm understanding the revive system correctly if they aren't revived (by either you or other AI teammates) then you reload a checkpoint?

Here is a question: If one of your AI teammates gets downed, if I'm understanding the revive system correctly if they aren't revived (by either you or other AI teammates) then you reload a checkpoint?

If they DIE (X mark over them) then they're gone until the next checkpoint, where they respawn.

Not sure how it works with actual co-op people, but assume the same.

You have a bit of time to revive them but if you wait to long it appears they're downed until the next checkpoint. OR if you're in a vehicle that blows up etc.

SterGaf

No, they are just out of the fight with an X above their body. Then after some times they get up. Like in Dragon Age for example.

Edit:Beaten.

Glass

Love how Promethean Knights armour breaks as you progressively wear them down, exposing places to shoot. The prowlers were always the most satisfying to 'pop' but the other enemy types didn't seem to have an equivalent (in terms of satisfaction), looking forward to the new versions.

The faces in the cut scenes look amazing, the story beats between mission 2 & 3 happened really fast though, need another watch to digest.

see5harp

Man even watching someone on normal just sprint through looked incredibly fun to me. Man that Mission 2 was super beefy as far as encounters, cutscenes, and sheer amount of gameplay. Compare that first level to the first level of Halo 4..such a huge leap forward in terms of quality.

The stuff I watched looked absolutely fantastic. Cutscenes, scale and story. Wow, 343 seems to be hitting it out of the park.

The only complaint I have is that Locke is even worse then I ever could have imagined. He literally serves no purpose so far except to say 1 or 2 lines in the most boring way possible.

I feel like Chief has spoken more dialogue then Locke with the footage I've seen so far. Like... why?

Solidsoul

Banned
My laptop crashed and I now for the life of me can not find my way back to the giant bomb stream. Any help out there? Sorry if I'm missing an obvious link, I'm sure I am.

Vire

Holy shit, I was at work and just got home and found out they showed three campaign missions today?!

Incredibly tempted to watch but hmmm...

see5harp

The stuff I watched looked absolutely fantastic. Cutscenes, scale and story. Wow, 343 seems to be hitting it out of the park.

The only complaint I have is that Locke is even worse then I ever could have imagined. He literally serves no purpose so far except to say 1 or 2 lines in the most boring way possible.

I feel like Chief has spoken more dialogue then Locke with the footage I've seen so far. Like... why?

It seems like they purposefully keep his back story to a minimum and keep him one dimensional and straight edge I think it's fair to assume that they'll flesh out that stuff and make him a better character throughout the game or series.

Newlove

I started watching a few seconds past the opening cinematic of IGN's 17 minutes start of the game and thought, nah, lets just wait.

Flipyap

I never get this line of thinking. The whole point is that he's an analog character to the Chief in that he's playable and draws a bunch of parallels with him. Chief's been an (albeit emotionally stunted) awesome McCoolBro DudeGuy Extreme(tm) Space Marine the entire franchise.
Makes perfect sense to me. The way he's been introduced to us so far made him look like a completely unremarkable, uninteresting person (albeit obscenely pretty) and the mission he's on is an obvious load of bullshit which no one actually wants to see carried out, so we're left waiting for his inevitable change of heart... while walking in his shoes.
Halo had its share of stoic soldier (and complete non-character) protagonists, but they at least had goals that were easy to sympathize with. Even the Arbiter's story was constructed in a way that didn't contradict the "main" plot.

IJoel

Aghh, fuck...you...all.

Jim-Carrey-Be-Strong-Dumb-and-Dumber.gif

Charlie-Sheen-GIF-I-dont-sleep-I-wait.gif

It seems like they purposefully keep his back story to a minimum and keep him one dimensional and straight edge I think it's fair to assume that they'll flesh out that stuff and make him a better character throughout the game or series.

I hope so. Because he's been an absolute bore in the footage of the three missions I've seen.

LordOfChaos

Oh, shoot, I guess I should have read to the end of the last Escalation before watching the first level stream. Ehh, no biggie.

I always suspected Halsey was still working with humans anyways, lots of people seemed easily swayed by one line from her, which was probably just to save her from Jul and co.

ironcreed

Banned
I hope so. Because he's been an absolute bore in the footage of the three missions I've seen.

You know there is more to him than that. What you are seeing is an early set up, where he is just focused on doing what he has to do. He will surely develop to the point of inner conflict and struggling with what he is doing until it reaches a climax and the full plot begins to unfold. We get to play his side for this reason.

You know there is more to him than that. What you are seeing is an early set up, where he is just focused on doing what he has to do. He will surely develop to the point of inner conflict and struggling with what he is doing until it reaches a climax and the full plot begins to unfold. We get to play his side for this reason.

I've seen the first three missions. I didn't see any of that. What I saw was a pretty player-template esque type character.

If what you say happens, great. He sorely needs it. But I'm not gonna bank on it.

ironcreed

Banned
I've seen the first three missions. I didn't see any of that. What I saw was a pretty player-template esque type character.

If what you say happens, great. He sorely needs it. But I'm not gonna bank on it.

They are obviously not going to spoil any of that. The game barely got going and he is there for a story reason that will gradually unfold. Wait and see.

I haven't been watching anything but I've been listening to people play and they all sound downright giddy about the first three missions.

Also has said anything about the complete lack of AF on the ground textures.

This kills me. Especially when I'm watching someone on youtube on their first playthrough of something. Immediately I consider their opinion on whatever they are playing completely void.

It's like my sister who plays on her phone during movies (at home, I would hit her if it was in the theatre) and then tells me she found the movie confusing.

Life is really tough sometimes!

If they are talking a lot and not paying attention to the plot yes it's horrible, but on my let's plays I need to talk just a little on the cutscenes to avoid copyright infringement specially if the game doesn't have an audio mixer for the music.

see5harp

He's had a handful of lines. Surely not enough to think he's a terrible character. I wouldn't worry so much about a product you aren't buying.

They are obviously not going to spoil any of that. The game barely got going and he is there for a story reason that will gradually unfold. Wait and see.

*shrugs* Three missions so far and it seemed like Chief had more dialogue then him.

His character so far is just boring. Story reason or not.

He's had a handful of lines. Surely not enough to think he's a terrible character. I wouldn't worry so much about a product you aren't buying.

Im a Halo fan, so I'm naturally pretty invested regardless of if I purchase it or not. With that said, I'll probably be picking the game around December when forge drops so long as there aren't other more pressing games I need to buy/play at the time.

My my my! the in-game cutscenes are AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep, cutscenes have been pretty fantastic so far.

And I'm really enjoying the take on the story. Hopefully the rest of the game is executed well enough on the foundation laid so far.

Edit: Ironcreed, I've been on the #BucknotLocke train for a looooong time. ;)

Can we get the expect spoilers removed from the thread title and just make this an impressions only. We need a place to chat about impressions.

Top Bottom