• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 5 Coverage! (expect spoilers)

That's some seriously lazy ass shit. Not even attempt to justify or explain why Master Chief is suddenly with three other Spartans or who they are.

I'm actually upset about this now. :/

I'm remaining hopeful it's explained later on, but yeah it really sucks. And as great as that first Blue Team cutscene is, it just happens without (very minor spoilers for the cutscene they've shown plenty of times)
any setup at all. It just switches to Chief in a Pelican with some spartans he's on a first name basis with and that's that.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Well that's promising. Watching some of the video I couldn't tell. I genuinely hope that's the case. I really want this to be a good game.

The new Soldier type seems to be the most prominent type, leaving the Knights to be like the Hunters of the Prometheans. The Soldier's look fun to fight and (mild gameplay spoiler)
can commandeer Human vehicles.
Im still hoping Brutes show up at one point, not holding my breathe though since we know none of their stuff is in the MP.

Also, rewatched the launch trailer, nearly all of the gameplay footage in it looks to be from the first 3 missions.

Whole story hasn't been unleashed. There might be some later info dumps. Probably not, but y'know.
That'd be appreciated and welcome but these are the 3 Spartans most closest to the Chief, they're practically his family and hold a big presence in the Chief's conscience. You would think, and hope, that they get a substantial introduction, not thrown in real quick and possibly getting "info dumps" later in the game. The impact is lessened a great deal if the intro isn't standout.

Bsigg12

That's some seriously lazy ass shit. Not even an attempt to justify or explain why Master Chief is suddenly with three other Spartans or who they are.

I'm actually upset about this now. :/

I'm willing to bet it's in the 117 pieces of Intel placed around the game but there could always be something in the other 11 missions that covers them.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
That'd be appreciated and welcome but these are the 3 Spartans most closest to the Chief, they're practically his family. You would think, and hope, that they get a substantial introduction, not thrown in real quick and possibly getting "info dumps" later in the game. The impact is lessened a great deal if the intro isn't standout.

A lot of movies will throw you into it with characters you don't know then explain bits over the runtime. Hopefully this is that way.

No introduction to blue team? Ok this is bad, the hardcore fans of the game know
everything about them but the vast majority or players? nothing, nada :(

Vire

A lot of movies will throw you into it with characters you don't know then explain bits over the runtime. Hopefully this is that way.
I expected it to be that way for team Osiris since they are essentially new to everyone including Halo vets.

But I was expecting at least a somewhat in depth introduction to Blue team since they are established part of the lore that literally there isn't one mention of in the games themselves up until this point .

Unfuckingbelievable 343.

Arghh. So much for learning from the mistakes of Halo 4.

Bsigg12

No introduction to blue team? Ok this is bad, the hardcore fans of the game know

Calm down. There are 4 out of 15 missions out in the wild right now. How about we wait until we see the other 11.

Madness

That'd be appreciated and welcome but these are the 3 Spartans most closest to the Chief, they're practically his family and hold a big presence in the Chief's conscience. You would think, and hope, that they get a substantial introduction, not thrown in real quick and possibly getting "info dumps" later in the game. The impact is lessened a great deal if the intro isn't standout.

Remember, though the story revolves around Chief, the majority of our time will be spent with Osiris. So I'm assuming most of the camaraderie and character building will go towards introducing those new characters.

I've always felt Blue Team was kind of tacked on in this game once they decided to do a coop style campaign. Chief is the hunted, Locke and his team the Hunters. Who knows though. I think they took Halo 4 criticism to heart, they know how important it is to tell the story. They also said though, it's a standalone game, so no need to really read anything before.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I expected it to be that way for team Osiris since they are essentially new to everyone including Halo vets.

But I was expecting at least a somewhat in depth introduction to Blue team since they are established part of the lore that literally there isn't one mention of in the games themselves up until this point .

Unfuckingbelievable 343.

Yeah, the game isn't out yet, I won't lose my shit right now.

Unfuckingbelievable 343.

Arghh.

Just wait and see before getting so upset. Just because they are important to the lore outside of the game doesn't mean the game can't be self contained without a in depth look into blue team.

I hope.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
I just wanna know if the blue lady is in the game.

RqpnPuD.png

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Biiiiiit of spoilers there Dani...

EDIT:

As I watch more of this they talk about Halsey's arm, so I assume they talk about Blue Team at some point.

It's Halo 4 all over again. But really, I hope they have something there to help the player know Blue team.

If not, why would the player care about a bunch of spartans that shoot things with Chief?

chekhonte

The new Soldier type seems to be the most prominent type, leaving the Knights to be like the Hunters of the Prometheans. The Soldier's look fun to fight and (mild gameplay spoiler)
can commandeer Human vehicles.
Im still hoping Brutes show up at one point, not holding my breathe though since we know none of their stuff is in the MP.

Also, rewatched the launch trailer, nearly all of the gameplay footage in it looks to be from the first 3 missions.

Just got to the part with the Covies and it looks as good as it's always been. I'm hopeful now that this can still be a good game in spite of my previous misgivings.

Here's to hoping.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
The banter between Osiris is revealing character details. I'm guessing Blue team will be similar. I am impressed so far. Storytelling between characters actually.

The Intro Cutscene hasnt much weight into it either :/ I was expecting a bit more for people who dont read comics/Books

It's just a follow up to Halo 4

This is like saying that in Halo 3 MC falling down to earth starting made no sense. The game is still a sequel and the cut scene ties into Halo 4
The big thing anyway

As for the teams, maybe there will be something, maybe there won't be. We have only seen one blue team mission. Also, the only reason we have this reaction is because we actually know about the Blue Team. Not explaining why they are together doesn't mean the story line itself can't be self contained.

There is a lot of chatter during missions between members, there is alluding to the history of the characters.
Example, a small part of 1st level let's us know how Vale knows the Elite language. Provides us some background.

It's Halo 4 all over again. But really, I hope they have something there to help the player know Blue team.

If not, why would the player care about a bunch of spartans that shoot things with Chief?

Is it that much of a game breaker for you. The information is two clicks away from you. Or read the books.

LordOfChaos

Aw, Chief has friends 4 lyfe

And it looks like some of the stuff from Sprinkles book is showing through
re: AI death, and Rollands involvement. If BB gets any screen time in H5 I'll squeal.

Ug, first level is almost all
promethean fighting

They were my least favorite part of halo 4. This may be the first halo game I skip.

Prometheans behave completely differently than in 4. Weapons act differently as well, and weak points were made to the Knights. Fret not.

Totally forgot about the blue team intro. Seeing them in action kind of made me forget that they just show up outta nowhere in the footage. Vire is right. No introduction or anything like that.

But I think it should be somewhat fine if they do what they're doing with team Osiris. A lot of banter in the actual missions to add to the characters.

Granted, I haven't seen the entirety of every mission but I do recall seeing some stuff about team Osiris like that so I'm hoping it carries over for Blue team as well.

I'm not talking exclusively about me. Do you honestly think that every Halo fan reads the books or wants to go outside the games?

Obviously I don't know how argeous it is, and I'm not trying to be a dick, but if the story means that much to people then do a little reading on the side.

Madness

Prometheans behave completely differently than in 4. Weapons act differently as well, and weak points were made to the Knights. Fret not.

Sweet. I wonder if that's because of the criticism about engaging Prometheans in Halo 4, hard to gauge when Knights' shields would pop, having watchers just flitter away, etc.

Seems a bit late which makes me nervous but I'm guessing they want halo reviews to be front and centre when people go to work Monday morning.

Unrelated question, I'm going on a long flight next weekend and was going to pick up a couple halo relates books for the trip... Any suggestions where to start? I was thinking the fall of Reach sounds the most interesting.

Fall of Reach is awesome but since we'll get that comic that tells the story, you should read another one maybe??

Totally forgot about the blue team intro. Seeing them in action kind of made me forget that they just show up outta nowhere in the footage. Vire is right. No introduction or anything like that.

But I think it should be somewhat fine if they do what they're doing with team Osiris. A lot of banter in the actual missions to add to the characters.

Granted, I haven't seen the entirety of every mission but I do recall seeing some stuff about team Osiris like that so I'm hoping it carries over for Blue team as well.

Yes, there is a lot of talk about characters between the characters.

Buck talks about ODST
Vale talks about how she learnt the Elite's language
Locke talks a little bit but not much about his history
That other AI program talks about Cortana
All talk about Hasley's arm

And because streamers kept talking while playing I am not even sure what I missed in the chatter.

The game is looking gooood

But yeah, Blue Teams 'Introduction' is laughable - oh hey look, 3 more Spartans and one mentions knowing Chief during bootcamp. The sequence is cool - but it needed more setup and payoff.

Kibbles

Wasn't one of the biggest complaints about Halo 4 is how the story didn't explain who/what all these things were and expected you to have read the books? Why would they follow that up again.... can't just go from the end of Halo 4 to woah he's in a ship now with some spartans, where did they come from?

Anyway, I just got home, what's the best stream and/or archive of stream to watch?

Velikost

Watched like 1 minute of the first mission from GiantBomb but I had to dip out. Cool to see Jeff and Dan excited about the game though.

This wait has been rough

Lingitiz

The game is looking gooood

But yeah, Blue Teams 'Introduction' is laughable - oh hey look, 3 more Spartans and one mentions knowing Chief during bootcamp. The sequence is cool - but it needed more setup and payoff.

Hopefully the mission dialogue fills it in a bit. I feel like you get a better sense of who Osiris is just because they're more talkative at least.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Unfuckingbelievable 343.

Put your knickers in the fridge. The characters and their relationship with chief is explained in and throughout the game. It's in cinematics, vignettes and frequent meaningful character dialog, over several hours. But the escalation to abject freak out in zero seconds without context is why I might retire from the Internet for a couple of weeks. Getting too old for this.

Top Bottom