• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 5 Coverage! (expect spoilers)

MacBosse

Is it a coincidence that H5 and the elite controller comes on the same day? I think not! I will optimize the crap out of the paddles. Aw yes Covenant (and everyone else who dares face me and my deathsquad), face my customizable wrath.

Any Swedish coop-players, hit me up! Lets play some MCC before H5. GT: Asylumkeeper

arhra

Is there a Destiny-esque control scheme?

Assuming there's no major changes since beta (beyond the change to how ground-pound works; now I think it's hold melee in mid-air rather than holding crouch), the defaults are actually pretty close to the Destiny defaults (and are basically an exact match for Destiny's Puppeteer alternate scheme):

ZkMC4Ot.jpg

The only major difference from the Destiny defaults (barring the stuff that's unique to one game or the other) is moving crouch from B to RS.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I don't like how the sword is help up in general... should be back to H2/H2A where it's out in front of you.

I think that's probably a big part of my issue. The prophet's bane in particular takes up so much damn screen real estate.

Madness

What is the significance of the date October 28, 2558. It's on the Halo branded console. I don't really want to know, but it seems like it's going to be a date that really is integral to the future of Halo? I hope it's not what I think it is. Only 9 days left, can't spoil myself now.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
is it just me or is the black/colour ratio a little extreme in the videos?

like you get glowing colours, bright and right beside the bright colours is a really dark shadow? (I don't know how to explain it better)

Beta footage.

Although having searched I see that the standard energy sword looks how it did before. It's only the prophets bane that looks different. I still don't like how it looks compared to the energy sword.

1606500_700947466685797_8336673646435873917_o.png
honestly the original sword is just incredible well designed. it must be hard for 343 to design a new energy sword.

Greye

is anything known about the ratio of Locke/MC missions? I've been on media blackout, but would like to know this if it's known. Also is ammo going to be as scarce as in 4? I would love to play mostly with the AR but limited ammo is always a problem

Random17

is anything known about the ratio of Locke/MC missions? I've been on media blackout, but would like to know this if it's known.
Warning: spoiler
12 Osiris: 3 Blue team, although the blue team missions are longer and the game is about them.

Madness

Warning: spoiler
12 Osiris: 3 Blue team, although the blue team missions are longer and the game is about them.

Are you serious? This is the ratio? I mean I knew it would be
Osiris/Locke majority of the time, but 12 missions vs 3 is just ridiculous. Doesn't matter if the game is still about Chief and his saga, I want to play as Chief, not as the new randoms, even if Buck is there. Disappointed with this for sure.

nekkid

Osiris/Locke majority of the time, but 12 missions vs 3 is just ridiculous. Doesn't matter if the game is still about Chief and his saga, I want to play as Chief, not as the new randoms, even if Buck is there. Disappointed with this for sure.

Yeah, that's a shocker. Quite disappointed, although I'm sure it will be mitigated somewhat by
Nathan Fillion.

Blues1990

This is the biggest problem that I have, as I was expecting the campaign to be split evenly between the two teams. I just hope there will be campaign DLC that has more Blue Team missions to even it out.

Marvel

could never
The sword looks a lot better when you look at someone else who has it in their hand than it does in yours lol.

nib95

Banned
Again, if true that also means there's only
two Master Chief missions we haven't actually yet seen, as one is one of the earlier missions that we've had videos and gameplay from over the last few days. That makes it even worse. Nathan Fillion's character is decent enough, but I'm really not a fan of Locke or the Osiris team in general. A Halo game is supposed to be about, and have you playing as Master Chief. What a stupid decision.

nekkid

two Master Chief missions we haven't actually yet seen, as one was one of the earlier segments that we've videos and gameplay from over the last few days. That makes it even worse. Nathan Fillion's character is decent enough, but I'm really not a fan of Locke or the Osiris team in general. A Halo game is supposed to be about, and have you playing as Master Chief. What a stupid decision.

That said, many people rate ODST and Reach some of their favourite campaigns of the series.

Thoraxes

two Master Chief missions we haven't actually yet seen, as one is one of the earlier missions that we've had videos and gameplay from over the last few days. That makes it even worse. Nathan Fillion's character is decent enough, but I'm really not a fan of Locke or the Osiris team in general. A Halo game is supposed to be about, and have you playing as Master Chief. What a stupid decision.

Ah, I think i'm going to downgrade my pre-order.

Madness

That said, many people rate ODST and Reach some of their favourite campaigns of the series.

That's different though. I'm not averse to playing as other characters. I loved Reach and I really liked Noble Team and Six. That last mission, 'there'll be another time' really affected me when I thought about it and the significance in the series and what it means to be a Spartan.
But if we're playing a game in the Chief trilogy, saga, and it's about him, let us play as Chief. We want to continue where we left off with Halo 4. We don't want to be thrown into some new randoms who will carry the universe forward because Sarah Palmer was a bust in H4. Even worse is, Blue Team is a Halo fans wet dream, and it's just 3 missions? You couldn't find some other way to tell the story where we have an equal breakdown for missions? The console is Locke branded, Nightfall was about Locke, he's clearly the star of the game, no matter if the story is still about Chief and what he means.

Coming from someone who's beaten the campaign: it's the story of Blue Team. You'll see when you play.

Random17

I had the exact same reaction.
Further spoilers:
The entire Sanghelios arc is Osiris. You know how Call of Duty has "Acts" right? Act 2 is entirely Osiris. Blue team have missions 2,7 and 14.

nib95

Banned
How have so many of you guys played the whole game already? :S

But yea, the above is reassuring. Still disappointing though.

The main question, though. Is the campaign amazing?

You'll have to wait for my review to find out. :p

Someone in this thread asked me to place Halo 5 in a ranked list with the other Halo campaigns. I didn't want to, stating that it'd be like saying which of my friends I liked best... And that in that metaphor, I'd definitely made a new friend in Halo 5.

Random17

Both, but probably moreso the former since they also had to drop splitscreen.
3 years isn't enough to make a Halo game?

Don't get me wrong, but this is in line with other franchises cutting down the amount of content in recent releases.

Is game development becoming harder in terms of resources/time spent? I know that's the case for graphics, but what about the other aspects of development?

No QTEs.

Also, people shouldn't freak out about any 'ratios'.

Can't say much more than that really. Playing through solo legendary now. Dat challenge!

Don't get me wrong, but this is in line with other franchises cutting down the amount of content in recent releases.

Is game development becoming harder in terms of resources/time spent? I know that's the case for graphics, but what about the other aspects of development?

i don't think it was resources so much as "we can't do this with this framerate and these graphics and this much happening on the screen."

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
No QTEs.

Also, people shouldn't freak out about any 'ratios'.

Can't say much more than that really. Playing through solo legendary now. Dat challenge!

GOOD.

maybe one question..AI..more like an Cortana intelligent AI or an human build AI..to say it in halo terms >>

Trup1aya

I'm no developer, but I can't help but notice that Dev teams are getting larger, and the average dev cycle seems to be getting longer... Halo is More complex than most games, yet is still being delivered within the average time frame.

GOOD.

maybe one question..AI..more like an Cortana intelligent AI or an human build AI..to say it in halo terms >>

I just had an enemy charge me with a Hydra launcher. I doubt he spawned with it, so that must mean he picked it up.

These guys are scary on Legendary.

Random17

I'm no developer, but I can't help but notice that Dev teams are getting larger, and the average dev cycle seems to be getting longer... Halo is larger in scale than most games, yet is still being delivered within the average time frame.
4 years between each release then? 2 per generation? Like GTA?

Spin offs with other developers?

Top Bottom