• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

upandaway

I kind of have some difficulty understanding why Netero won't just... talk? Talking and understanding one another is good. Better than fighting.

Guess it might have something to do with what he said about the King wavering between human and bug.
It's kind of going through the whole conversation but here's my take

Both the King and Netero know that humanity's gonna oppose the idea of King dictatorship, obviously. Netero knew from that phone call that humanity will be a lot more reckless than the King is probably thinking, and that negotiation is meaningless, i.e. humans aren't prepared for a ruler that isn't human.
When the King said Netero's "worth keeping alive", and talking about using "terror and power initially", he made the point that people who'd oppose him to their death weren't going to live. He specifically made the comparison to thriving rulers vs starving children to say that there's no difference between his proposed terror treatment and the current situation, justifying it.
Even a white flag from the King won't change any of this, and the King will inevitably resist his death with force even if Netero miraculously managed to negotiate with him on that spot. That's why Netero's only real choice is starting the fight as soon as possible and any talking is meaningless. If anything, them talking will only risk Netero sympathizing with the King who's being surprisingly philosophical in his face. It doesn't help that the King is speaking pure logic and all his points are understandable conclusions.

At first it seems a bit shallow how they make it out to be a forced battle thanks to some higher up phone call, but that phone call really did seal the outcome, that's why they showed it.

Man that whole situation is just crazy delicate. Netero's first strike tells the whole story above in a second.

It's kind of going through the whole conversation but here's my take

Both the King and Netero know that humanity's gonna oppose the idea of King dictatorship, obviously. Netero knew from that phone call that humanity will be a lot more reckless than the King is probably thinking, and that negotiation is meaningless, i.e. humans aren't prepared for a ruler that isn't human.
When the King said Netero's "worth keeping alive", and talking about using "terror and power initially", he made the point that people who'd oppose him to their death weren't going to live. He specifically made the comparison to thriving rulers vs starving children to say that there's no difference between his proposed terror treatment and the current situation, justifying it.
Even a white flag from the King won't change any of this, and the King will inevitably resist his death with force even if Netero miraculously managed to negotiate with him on that spot. That's why Netero's only real choice is starting the fight as soon as possible and any talking is meaningless. If anything, them talking will only risk Netero sympathizing with the King who's being surprisingly philosophical in his face. It doesn't help that the King is speaking pure logic and all his points are understandable conclusions.

At first it seems a bit shallow how they make it out to be a forced battle thanks to some higher up phone call, but that phone call really did seal the outcome, that's why they showed it.

Man that whole situation is just crazy delicate. Netero's first strike tells the whole story above in a second.

That's pretty much how I think of it as well. This just makes me even more sad that Togashi still hasn't continued the manga. I need some more of that story telling man.

Erigu

Ohh... they didn't use the exact phrasing that in the manga. Meruem has there one of the most badassses lines ever done:
"The only thing you can hope to trade with me... are words".
It's different and less epic in the anime.
Same line, different translations.
The manga's is the more accurate one, for the record.

Jigolo

A complex episode for sure but all i have to say for now is that Meruem is no fucking joke.

Will try to articulate what I think about all the dialogue on Thursday or something. School is killer right now.

edit: also the new va is definitely worse than the old one. he lacks the joking tone the old one had :(

Yonafunu

edit: also the new va is definitely worse than the old one. he lacks the joking tone the old one had :(

I'm not sure that joking tone is really what they're going for here. Netero can be very serious too, if necessary, like in this episode. I get what you mean, though.

kirblar

I'm not sure that joking tone is really what they're going for here. Netero can be very serious too, if necessary, like in this episode. I get what you mean, though.
He was trying to approximate the old VA in the flashbacks, while being dead-serious in the present.

Jigolo

Old VA could do both parts well. There was definitely a joke part in this episode when the King sat down (the first time), Netero was perplexed and began scratching his head. Didn't think he pulled it off well.

Loved Killua's baka in the end.

I dont really know where the story is going as the King just wants to talk while the old man just wants to fight. Since he is way past its prime its unlikely that he will be as strong as the just and newly born King who has suffered nary an injury thus far. Because of this it kind of feels like a pointless fight as the outcome seems crystal clear. Though if its is building up to an eventual Killua and Gon rushing in to save him kind of ordeal then it is a good direction.

icy_eagle

Loved Killua's baka in the end.

I dont really know where the story is going as the King just wants to talk while the old man just wants to fight. Since he is way past its prime its unlikely that he will be as strong as the just and newly born King who has suffered nary an injury thus far. Because of this it kind of feels like a pointless fight as the outcome seems crystal clear. Though if its is building up to an eventual Killua and Gon rushing in to save him kind of ordeal then it is a good direction.

Why do you even bother to keep this facade up? lol

Why do you even bother to keep this facade up? lol

What? The anime has been in build up hype mode for too long and too many empty promises from folks that "next week its happening". Im ready for all characters to finally do something instead of the narrator having the leading role this arc. Killuas and Gon have been essentially in a backseat role all 2014. Good writing kind of suggests and implies that somehow both the lead characters would have a pivotal role in this King fight.

Popnbake

What? The anime has been in build up hype mode for too long and too many empty promises from folks that "next week its happening". Im ready for all characters to finally do something instead of the narrator having the leading role this arc. Killuas and Gon have been essentially in a backseat role all 2014. Good writing kind of suggests and implies that somehow both the lead characters would have a pivotal role in this King fight.

Even if they drop everything to rush and help fight the King, what are they going to do other than make things worse for Netero?

Not to mention the Royal Guards are headed for the King's direction as well.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Gon and Killua are no match for the king, DTL. They're probably not even a match for a Royal Guard. Just because this is a shonen doesn't mean the main characters get some kind of asspull broken power upgrade.

Good writing =/= making Gon and Killua Jesus and Mary Magdalene swooping in on a bald eagle to save the day at the end of every arc.

Jigolo

Ohh... they didn't use the exact phrasing that in the manga. Meruem has there one of the most badassses lines ever done:

"The only thing you can hope to trade with me... are words".

It's different and less epic in the anime.

SHHHII can anyone direct me to this page. I need to see this

Mortemis

Banned
Man, Meruem really is one of my favorite villains. Usually in shounen you'd never see a villain trying to talk it out. This episode was great as always.

Also Netero has a new VA? That would explain why I was weirded out by his voice in this episode. Well the parts when he's talking to Meruem were okay but when he was speaking on the phone he definitely sounded different. Seems like he can't get joking Netero down or something.

smurfx

get some go again
I kind of have some difficulty understanding why Netero won't just... talk? Talking and understanding one another is good. Better than fighting.

Guess it might have something to do with what he said about the King wavering between human and bug.
i don't know who told him to take out the ants but clearly they must be high enough to where netero has to complete his mission no matter what. sitting down and talking might end up with him liking the king and failing the mission.

I think its now clear to everyone why I keep saying the King is my favourite Shounen Villain, if I were Netero I probably would have fell for him and decide to join him on his world conquest.

Tobe

finally its here the best nen ability, goddamn!!!!!!

boss as fuck

1024.jpg

Ghost King

Neo Member
Man, Meruem really is one of my favorite villains. Usually in shounen you'd never see a villain trying to talk it out. This episode was great as always.

Also Netero has a new VA? That would explain why I was weirded out by his voice in this episode. Well the parts when he's talking to Meruem were okay but when he was speaking on the phone he definitely sounded different. Seems like he can't get joking Netero down or something.

Netero's previous VA died in January so they had to replace him.

He's already my favorite character and is only rising higher above everyone else.

I really enjoy him as an antagonist, because he isn't really evil. Even when he was more sadistic he wasn't evil, he was just doing what his instincts tell him, and now he's evolved to this point, where he could almost be considered human, which makes him even more dangerous. I don't know if he's my favorite character though. I really like Gon and Killua and a bunch of others.

finally its here the best nen ability, goddamn!!!!!!

boss as fuck

1024.jpg

This is great.

I think Knov's Nen ability is pretty great though. It's basically like teleporting.

Tobe

I really enjoy him as an antagonist, because he isn't really evil. Even when he was more sadistic he wasn't evil, he was just doing what his instincts tell him, and now he's evolved to this point, where he could almost be considered human, which makes him even more dangerous. I don't know if he's my favorite character though. I really like Gon and Killua and a bunch of others.

This is great.

I think Knov's Nen ability is pretty great though. It's basically like teleporting.

sucks that knov has no balls whatsoever.

Lulubop

Yea, I really love Netero's nene ability. It just looks incredible, and the idea of giant ethereal arms fucking shit up has always been appealing to me.

Soriku

Humans would never get to the point where they'd be accepting of the King as a world ruler. Also Netero seems like he wants to save face for the Hunter's Association.

I was more on the King's side this episode, but you have to understand where Netero's coming from. He's making the smart and quick decision, even if I don't really like it lol.

Jigolo

I've just watched the episode again and this is the way I interpreted this episode. First I have to correct myself when I said Netero was shocked when Meruem sat down. They were both actually standing and Netero became confused when the King insisted they have an open discussion.

Togashi kind of pulled a role reversal here which I love. Usually its the hero telling the enemy I'll give you a chance to give up before I have to take you down but Meruem was the one who used that phrase on Netero. Meruem makes strong cases in which why he would be a great ruler for the world and that actually struck a chord with Netero which is why he later says he must end this quickly before he has a change of heart ( get it? His shirt). Netero is kind of in the same situation with those guys who gave him that phone call (they would be the scum leaders that Meruem was refering to). Netero knows that the points the king made are absolutely true but the world being ruled by an ant is far from acceptable from a human perspective, especially by the use of tyranny which would inflict fear into the humans. Not to mention the bias that comes with who the king deems worthy of living. With that being said I still think Netero would have tried to negotiate something if it were not for that phone call and those organizations over him.

Pitou giving subtle hints to Pouf was cool and Gon realizing that the real mission had succeeded was also cool but its now its the real waiting game for his personal mission. I do think that Pouf missed something and is misinterpreting the changes in both Pitou and Youpi because they way they changed is so different. Pitou went through a change because the King somewhat commanded her to heal Komugi. Youpi went through a change through his actual experiences with the battle with the Hunter's, he changed on his own. The king was not a factor first hand like Pitou but for Youpi it was only in his head when he was contemplating where he should use all his rage and how determined he became to control his power for the Kings benefit. The king was never physically there. But in the end for Pouf to question their loyalty to the king was where he got it wrong, the only reason Pitou is helping Komugi is because MERUEM told her to, she is not doing it because she wants to. I find it hilarious that he is pissed that all his colleagues are changing besides him, what a baby.

Netero was legit shook after the third hand technique and the King was unphased. I love that Meruem is fighting for his name though, Netero is a clever dude. I can't wait to see where this fight goes from here.

Jumbled thoughts written from a tablet. Hope its legible.

I really liked this episode. It felt like Netero was being the villain here, but there's still the danger of King's mindset weaving between Ant and human.

FluxWaveZ

Had to watch this episode again to gain a better understanding of the nuance of Netero and Meruem's confrontation. A lot of what you guys said makes sense but, yeah, definitely not a situation where I'm really rooting for the person who's supposed to be the "good guy."

Like Jigolo pointed out, it's an interesting subversion.

Nibel

That awkward moment when you connect to a antagonist much more than to the actual hero

But them crazy red eyes tho, damn

Popnbake

I hate how goddamn convincing Meruem sounds.

The King is idealistic about wanting to change things ("the concept of inequality won't even exist") but the issue would be exactly how he plans to make it happen.

He already notes that he will have to use violent measures as a way to enforce his goals.

Netero notices that he's between being an ant and a human and so far no side is showing dominance which is a dangerous mindset.
This world of equality the King is looking to create is not going to work if he wants to be seen as its ruler.

Blades64

Banned
Real nice episode! I always liked the King, but this episode has definitely solidified him as one of my favorite antagonist in anime, if not THE favorite.

The idea of the King being a better ruler than most was all over my mind while he was explaining his position, and then he actually offered for him and Netero to have a sit down, heart to heart. Totally unexpected for a "villain"!

Netero knew that if he actually did what the King wanted, he probably wouldn't have the desire or drive to kill the King, much like how Knuckle no longer has a desire to kill Youpi. So he upted to start a fight, which I'm very much looking forward to seeing as well. The only shame is that I pretty much have a good idea who loses in the end...

Man, this is just one awesome show!

Peco

Yeah, that's my impression as well.

Akainu

It's pretty clear the hunter associations hand is being forced.

Though if its is building up to an eventual Killua and Gon rushing in to save him kind of ordeal then it is a good direction.
Have you been watching this show? What makes you think that is going to happen?

Cliched writing kind of suggests and implies that somehow both the lead characters would have a pivotal role in this King fight.
Let me fix that for you.

sucks that knov has no balls whatsoever.
What? The man is a absolute wreck and he still went back into enemy territory to help. Hell the only reason anyone is even there now doing anything is because of him. A lesser man wouldn't have even made it that far.

Knov gets a pass from me because his portals were pivotal to the success of the mission. No portals = automatic mission fail.

And he did it all himself, without the benefit of a scouting mission and hinged largely on luck.

smurfx

get some go again
Knov gets a pass from me because his portals were pivotal to the success of the mission. No portals = automatic mission fail.

And he did it all himself, without the benefit of a scouting mission and hinged largely on luck.
knov took what was probably one of the biggest risks of the mission by infiltrating the palace and putting a portal at the staircase.

As much as Meruem seems to be making sense at this moment, the point is that it's only IN THIS MOMENT. Good on Netero realizing or at least sensing how volatile Meruem's evolution is. We've seen Meruem in one moment start to sympathize with Komugi, the next his epiphany is that violence trumps all and is ready to kill her, and still next he protects her - arriving at his current state. He's like a car weaving in and out of traffic - just because he's back on his side at this moment doesn't mean he isn't still drunk and about to ram into that bus up ahead.

Netero could talk to him all he wants and even think they've arrived at some mutual understanding but the next day, next week, next month, Meruem will have another "epiphany" and his values will shift yet again. Only now millions are dead and Netero missed his humanity's only shot at possibly stopping him.

Top Bottom