• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

Lulubop

I know the fight just started and everything, but I was wondering why the King hasn't even done anything yet? My guess was that he was trying to prove his strength by outright stopping Netero's attacks, but it doesn't seem like he can.

Unless the King is just toying around...

It might not be apparent but Netero's attacks are so fast he hasn't given Meruem the chance to do anything.

It might not be apparent but Netero's attacks are so fast he hasn't given Meruem the chance to do anything.

I loved that scene near the end where the you see the rocks falling and then everything just slows right down.
It lets you get a sense for how fast Netero is actually going.

Nibel

Nibel x Hunter 125

Very epic and impressive episode; one thing I have to repeat over and over again is how much I love that a lot of the battles in Hunter X Hunter are mindgames: everybody involved in the first half of the episode is a tough fighter who went through battles, yet they are all standing in the same room and try to gain mental superioty - trying to analyze each other to find weaknesses and so on. This is such a fantastic deconstruction of the usual shonen shit that I was used to see in several animes - well done

Now, what I want to say about the second half is that

im2dQq0Z37EvW.gif

and that

iWYWw2b6ujxVX.gif

while

iDQuLMXYltTsI.gif

Just one of the best second halves ever in the whole anime in my opinion - from the animation to the music, just wow

I loved that scene near the end where the you see the rocks falling and then everything just slows right down.
It lets you get a sense for how fast Netero is actually going.
That's something I wish the arc had been doing more. For all the talk from the narrator about how like 30 minutes or something has passed, it's sure as hell felt a lot longer than that. I feel like keeping the background elements in slow motion while everything else is happening at full speed would have given us more of a sense of how fast the characters are actually fighting.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
That's something I wish the arc had been doing more. For all the talk from the narrator about how like 30 minutes or something has passed, it's sure as hell felt a lot longer than that. I feel like keeping the background elements in slow motion while everything else is happening at full speed would have given us more of a sense of how fast the characters are actually fighting.

Alternatively, having the pacing of the show match the pacing of the fighting to at least a reasonable extent would be nice. If this is really 30 only minutes on, how come we're about 20 episodes into the attack? Even allowing for the fact this is split between a number of different 'theatres', the pacing is exceptionally bad. I blame the narrator. He wastes far too much time telling you what you can see happening in front of you anyway, and re-explaining character motivations that are patently obvious to anyone with any common sense.

I blame the narrator. He wastes far too much time telling you what you can see happening in front of you anyway, and re-explaining character motivations that are patently obvious to anyone with any common sense.

Either we have a narrator or we have twice as much inner dialogue during encounters that make us question if a person can think so much to themselves while all hell is breaking loose.

I liked the narrator's nuggets of info. Like Dr. Blythe's time table set by Pitou was for Komugi's sake and that Gon's forced "hour" was the actual time it would take to heal her wounds. Even more, DB's strength/skills/aura have increased to a point where it's possible that Komugi could be healed under an hour.

With HunterXHunter's fate up in the air, They can drag this shit out until Togashi picks up the pen again for all I care. Even at it's super slow worst, compared to other long running shows, HxH has more tension/suspense with it's mind games/drama than any other shonen series with the standard battle format.

Yonafunu

Yeah I dunno why they did the pink coloring here. It's just another hand formation like the previous ones...

The previous hand formation have been a symbol of some sort too though. For "99 Palms" he forms two nines with his hands, for example.
This is supposed to be a heart.

Kyuur

The previous hand formation have been a symbol of some sort too though. For "99 Palms" he forms two nines with his hands, for example.
This is supposed to be a heart.

Oh I get that it's a heart, but there's no reason for it to glow pink, when the rest of his nen is gold and previous hand symbols didn't have sort of nen around/inside them. Just a weird decision by the animators imo.

I thought it was a way to represent how grateful he is, although a bit silly.

You're most likely right. Definitely silly!

Alternatively, having the pacing of the show match the pacing of the fighting to at least a reasonable extent would be nice. If this is really 30 only minutes on, how come we're about 20 episodes into the attack? Even allowing for the fact this is split between a number of different 'theatres', the pacing is exceptionally bad. I blame the narrator. He wastes far too much time telling you what you can see happening in front of you anyway, and re-explaining character motivations that are patently obvious to anyone with any common sense.

I completely agree with you. This show has left me so salty in the last 10-15 episodes. The pacing is awful. It went from amazing to being steps away from entering my shit list. At this point I just don't know what to expect anymore.

Daingurse

I completely agree with you. This show has left me so salty in the last 10-15 episodes. The pacing is awful. It went from amazing to being steps away from entering my shit list. At this point I just don't know what to expect anymore.

Glad I simply accepted the show's pacing, around 114-115. Anticipating fights was ruining the show for me. I think you should be good now though bro, just glad I stopped being salty myself, because it was totally getting to me.

fertygo

Why would you expecting its gonna played out straight anyway, despite the premise of shounen flick.. people does rarely fight in this show lol

Like shown on Yorkshin arc, its pretty much only have one relevant fight for Kurapika, same to GI arc.. I'm surprised some of you can stick this long if really bothered with how HxH playing thing because its always been like this.

Although admitedly I like many episode when Komugi still playing chess with the King more than most of episode since this invasion starting, episode that involving Knuckle usually pretty stretched out for example.. jeez.

But I'll be damned if saying the high point like eps 111, eps where Gon rage and last two eps isn't fucking brilliant.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
The attack on the palace has 100% destroyed my enthusiasm for this show. Terrible pacing, terrible management of simultaneous battles, everything bogged down even further by unnecessary narration.

kirblar

The attack on the palace has 100% destroyed my enthusiasm for this show. Terrible pacing, terrible management of simultaneous battles, everything bogged down even further by unnecessary narration.
The next arc is the polar opposite of this one in terms of pacing, thankfully.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

Word.

MCD

I was enjoying the mental and verbal trolling between Gon and Pouf much more than the fight.

upandaway

Now I'm wondering if some of you would have been better off with the manga. Although the anime adapts it very faithfully, manga still reads faster, and the narrator feels less of an interruption when it's a square with text. I'm completely fine with the anime pacing though so I can't tell if it would have made a difference.

FluxWaveZ

I'm going to say I'm still loving the show very much. There was a period before the invasion and a bit after it had started where things were going real slow and I was into it less, but things are moving at a nice pace now and I don't mind that the focus doesn't linger on an individual battle since there's so much going on. The mind games are as exciting to see unfold (by the narrator, too) than the battles themselves (which are mind games in this show, except with fists).

New002

To be honest I feel the same way...yet I still look forward to the show every week? I know it doesn't make sense. Maybe it's because I'm not watching anything else at the moment.

Popnbake

Togashi went with a more narrative style for this arc and although it does slow things down, I still enjoy it.

I believe we don't have confirmation yet.

Due to how closely related both arcs are, I think it's a safe bet they are not ending it with the current arc and will continue to the next one.

edit: That and it gives us more HxH as we wait for the hiatus to end.

Rootbeer

Banned
I still really dig the show including the battles. The pacing for them works better in manga form though. I think the animation kinda makes up for the pacing in the netero/king fights

Ninjimbo

I've been following the show weekly for a little over a month now. I can't say anything about the pace bothering me at all: the narration, the story, the fights, the music are hitting on all cylinders. I start watching an episode and twenty-two minutes feels like five. Seriously, the intensity generated by this show on what has to amount to about a few seconds of real-time action is astounding.

This week's episode was awesome. To have kept this level of intrigue and surprises going for what has to be 50+ episodes, this arc has to be in discussions for greatest of all time despite whatever resolution it comes to. I so badly want to know what's going to happen but I've decided to not go back to the manga and let the show reveal the conclusion.

rexor0717

Yep. I'm trying to tell myself that I stopped watching so I could watch the rest in a big chunk, but I might just skip over most of it. It drags way to much.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Yeah, this definitely seems to be one of those sucks to be you moments. I was in the same boat as you, but I realized that this HxH. Fiending for battles is going to make the show leave a bad taste in your mouth. Since I changed my state of mind, I have been loving every episode, regardless of "action".

I am having a blast with the fight, but if Ikalgo has 15 out of the next 20 minutes, I wouldn't be too bothered. Enjoy the ride!

As somebody who hasn't seen both Attack on Titan and this, percentage wise this has less pacing issues as a whole, but episode count wise this has had way more episodes I've had issues with not giving a crap and wanting it to move along. It's Game of Thrones syndrome where instead of focusing on one thing and moving on, who cares if it's not chronological, they decided to jump around everywhere the second something happens. Which makes it annoying as the next time you meet up with somebody else you realize nothing has happened since you last saw them.

Yeah, this definitely seems to be one of those sucks to be you moments. I was in the same boat as you, but I realized that this HxH. Fiending for battles is going to make the show leave a bad taste in your mouth. Since I changed my state of mind, I have been loving every episode, regardless of "action".

I am having a blast with the fight, but if Ikalgo has 15 out of the next 20 minutes, I wouldn't be too bothered. Enjoy the ride!

My issue isn't the no fighting. Is that I've been waiting for the Gon battle since this thing started. I understand that yes it's what we've all been waiting for, but it's getting to the point where everything else doesn't seem like other fights going on, but they seem like outright filler/padding to infuriate me. The King's fight just got interesting too, lord knows they'll probably jump to something less interesting for the next episode.

Moaradin

I will never get the pacing complaints. Is time moving slow? yes. Are interesting things still happening? absolutely. The amount of development that Gon, Killua, and pretty much most of the Ants went through during this time has been insane.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I will never get the pacing complaints. Is time moving slow? yes. Are interesting things still happening? absolutely. The amount of development that Gon, Killua, and pretty much most of the Ants went through during this time has been insane.
This, too. This arc had more character development in 30 minutes than most shounen ever in their entire runs fucking combined.

The issue isn't character development. The issue is the jumping between current events that make it where nothing happened since the last time you saw a character, which might've been like 2 episodes ago. Then it jumps back to another character 2 episodes later, and they're in the same spot as before, so on and so forth. Not to mention people have been waiting for one or two major fights to happen. I've never had to wait 20+ episodes to see a fight I've been teased at the beginning of the end of an arc. I've watched plenty of shonen action before.

This show had a chance to fight in equal terms against Gintama for me, now it's gone downhill. I'm glad to hear the pacing is better for the next arc, lord knows I can't take more of this.

jgminto

I've still been enjoying it even with the slowed pace. I think the moments where the structure hurt my enjoyment was when it cut to a different story in the middle of another. Like when it was cutting from Knuckle and Shoot's battle against Youpi to Morel against Pouf or the other chimera ants. I enjoyed when it stuck with a set of characters until it had reached a good stopping point. Like with Ikalgo and Palm's segments in recent episodes.

Top Bottom