• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

Cwarrior

I don't understand the whole paceing issue rubbish people are talking about, we're being feed new information at all times, there something happening at all times and the individual characters story is progressing with each episode.

Last episode dealt with the story of palm's situation &killua feeling of helplessness , the one before that dealt with ikalgo resolve his confrontation with wolfin and wolfing back story.

It's clear the people who are having that issue are those who came in expect some sort of fair tail bs level story where it's the main character all the time nobody else matters & are moaning why someone other then the main character is having screen time and why haven't they flyed off into space to yell & shoot fire balls at each other.

Personally myself I love it even more then I did before this arc is one if not the best arc I've witnessed in anime.

Erigu

I will never get the pacing complaints. Is time moving slow? yes. Are interesting things still happening? absolutely. The amount of development that Gon, Killua, and pretty much most of the Ants went through during this time has been insane.
Yup. Still, I roll my eyes whenever Netero uses his too-fast-for-the-eyes ultimate move, and the staff decides that's the perfect time to use super slow motion. Not to mention the recaps.
I get that they want to end the episode at a specific point, I get that there's that damn 24 minute format, and I do think the narration matters more often than not (unfortunate, as that didn't create pacing issues, in comic form), but I still think they pick the slowest way out far too often. Get rid of the OP/ED/preview once in a while if you need to, but speed things up a bit, for fuck's sake.

Moaradin

I have no problem jumping between current events, because they are all good to me. Obviously I have the most anticipation for the Gon vs. Pitou and Komugi stuff, as well as the King vs. Netero fight, but I've been invested in all the other stuff too. And it seems like they are wrapping up most of the other events to focus more on the Gon and King fights, which should be worth the payoff.

It's clear the people who are having that issue are those who came in expect some sort of fair tail bs level story where it's the main character all the time no body matters & are moaning why someone other then the main character is having screen time and why haven't they flyed off into space to yell & shoot fire balls at each other..

I came here expecting not to see the issues that hurt Game of Thrones (tv series). The novels it doesn't bother me because I can read a whole chapter and end on a good point before it moves on to another event. Not like the tv show where it's the equivalent of "while Jon Snow prepares his sword the giant bear pul- while this was going on Bran was having a delicious breakfast...."

Cwarrior

I came here expecting not to see the issues that hurt Game of Thrones (tv series). The novels it doesn't bother me because I can read a whole chapter and end on a good point before it moves on to another event. Not like the tv show where it's the equivalent of "while Jon Snow prepares his sword the giant bear pul- while this was going on Bran was having a delicious breakfast...."

if you think game of thrones has paceing issues also then it's clear shows that have more complex muitlayered storys that handle several plot threads aren't for you, those type of shows will juggle & intertwine several plot threads within it's world.

Stick to something more simple less ambitious such as gitama simple episodic story or those anime original series with anime quality writing.

Have you tried kill la killa I hear that's easy to grasp for people allergic to quality written stories.

Won

I was always glad that I only started reading this arc in the manga when it was on it's last legs. Such a weird but cool story with a quirky narrative that you are better of going through the story on your own pace.

I was curious how they would execute the whole thing in anime form. I was hoping they would manage to show at least some of the stuff at it's "real" speed, but they went for an 1:1 adaption for the whole thing it seems and it just doesn't translate very well. :/

My man! Loved Komugi.

And where is Jigolo when we need his Gifs?
Man those episodes where they were just playing that game were ace. I loved how they made it so tense even though the times were never explained. I guess it gave them more freedom that way.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
if you think game of thrones has paceing issues also then it's clear shows that have more complex muitlayered storys that handle several plot threads aren't for you, those type of shows will juggle & intertwine several plot threads within it's world.

Stick to something more simple less ambitious such as gitama simple episodic story or those anime original series with anime quality writing.

Have you tried kill la killa I hear that's easy to grasp for people allergic to quality written stories.

Kill la Kill is awful. Aside from that, there are ways to have complex, multi-narrative events without dragging the pacing to shit. Here's ways it could have been done here: cut the narrator. Entirely. He's not needed and never has been needed. Every point he says something, it can be turned into mental exposition. Secondly, cut the mental exposition right to the bone. Is it obvious from a character's actions why something is happening? Do we need it explaining to us in the form of mental dialogue, or can we work it out from what the character is doing anyway? Is it even necessary for us to know with absolute certainty what they are thinking, or can we be left to a reasonable to fill the gaps in ourselves? Thirdly, work on sequencing. Do not jump around between different characters in a simultaneous scene for no reason. Before each jump, have a "mini-conclusion", so we feel like something significant has occurred or been achieved.

The fact that 30-minutes of real time has been turned into over 20 episodes of narrative time is not indicative of complex or layered show. I mean, while Hunter x Hunter is perhaps relatively more complex than other shonen, in the grand scheme of fiction, it's really not very complex at all. I can name a number of shows with far greater narrative complexity than Hunter x Hunter that have not engaged in this level of diabolically bad pacing; it's just not necessary. Yes, Hunter x Hunter isn't about fights, but at the point the arc is explicitly set up in such a way as to promise at least one fight (Gon x Pitou is the key motivator behind this particular arc), setting that fight up and then doing nothing with it for 20 episodes is the perfect way to kill all suspense and excitement.

daniels

Can someone explain Netero's exact thoughts while punching the shit out of the king? The subs I used confused me

I think its more or less that he got used/bored fighting because no one had chance of beating him. I think he is gratefull that he has finally found someone where he needs to fight with everything he has.

smurfx

get some go again
Can someone explain Netero's exact thoughts while punching the shit out of the king? The subs I used confused me
he started remembering being the one waiting for others to attack since he was always the most powerful one. what he truly desires is going all out against somebody who he thinks might be able to actually defeat him.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
When comparing Hunter X Hunter to similar (shounen) series, I really don't mind the pacing at all, because 1. there are almost no filler/backstory episodes that disrupt the story, 2. they're keeping slapstick/dumb comedy out of it. Maybe that's me having low standards, but after a number of shounen series with people fighting Hunter X Hunter is like a relief.

MilkBeard

When comparing Hunter X Hunter to similar (shounen) series, I really don't mind the pacing at all, because 1. there are almost no filler/backstory episodes that disrupt the story, 2. they're keeping slapstick/dumb comedy out of it. Maybe that's me having low standards, but after a number of shounen series with people fighting Hunter X Hunter is like a relief.

Yeah, I mean, people talking about Hunter X Hunter being slow must not have watched Naruto at all. I mean, that show is the epitome of long and drawn out. However, there are some great moments so I put up with it, ha ha.
Hunter X Hunter is relatively brief compared to that. And this big conflict has been going at a more intimate pace but I find it to be pretty steady. I'm always intrigued and the episodes fly by.

Nibel

I think its more or less that he got used/bored fighting because no one had chance of beating him. I think he is gratefull that he has finally found someone where he needs to fight with everything he has.

he started remembering being the one waiting for others to attack since he was always the most powerful one. what he truly desires is going all out against somebody who he thinks might be able to actually defeat him.

Ah okay, thanks guys :)

Mhmm...

HxH return, incoming?
the HxH text says there'll be a reprint of all HxH's 32 volumes with each volumes having its own "wrapper - this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obi_%28publishing%29" and that this is usually reserved when a big announcement is made for series. Speculation of either new movie or manga coming back to Jump.

Nibel

HxH return, incoming?

TOOOOOOGASHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

JF7LIgy.gif

JF7LIgy.gif

The big announcement: the manga is finished publishing...

But Togashi will make sure the story is continued in anime form!

I wish. Isn't the anime not doing so hot ever since it got the late night timeslot? Though maybe it has good DVD sales, I don't know.

kirblar

The big announcement: the manga is finished publishing...

But Togashi will make sure the story is continued in anime form!

I wish. Isn't the anime not doing so hot ever since it got the late night timeslot? Though maybe it has good DVD sales, I don't know.
This really would be the perfect way to continue the series without stressing him out.

I think it would stress him out way more. Instead of doing one chapter per month he'll write the storyboard for 2-3 chapters' worth every week.

Prefacing this by saying I know absolutely nothing about anime production, I would see his hypothetical role in the anime as something more like "Here's what I came up with for story. Here are some character designs I made. Let me talk about some possible fights." But if Togashi is having difficulty continuing the manga because he has trouble writing the story and NOT because he hates drawing, then this hypothetical scenario is a moot point anyway!

Wiseblade

Now I'm wondering if some of you would have been better off with the manga. Although the anime adapts it very faithfully, manga still reads faster, and the narrator feels less of an interruption when it's a square with text. I'm completely fine with the anime pacing though so I can't tell if it would have made a difference.
I hate both, so I doubt it would make a difference. If anything, I hated it in the manga more, since I felt the narrative style change was more pronounced and less justified.

Yonafunu

Prefacing this by saying I know absolutely nothing about anime production, I would see his hypothetical role in the anime as something more like "Here's what I came up with for story. Here are some character designs I made. Let me talk about some possible fights." But if Togashi is having difficulty continuing the manga because he has trouble writing the story and NOT because he hates drawing, then this hypothetical scenario is a moot point anyway!

It's definitely not because he "doesn't like drawing". At this point in the manga, it seems much more likely that he's having a harder time setting up the next arc(s) and the direction of the plot in general. As people have said before, the next-to-last chapter so far could have been a good ending to the series (and felt like an ending too), but the last chapter starts an entirely new, potentially huge arc.

Nibel

Berserk continued on April 11th

Apparently hell froze over, so I think HxH might continue in one way or another (#TeamAnimeOnly here)

Mortemis

Banned
Pacing issues for this arc have always been brought up by manga fans too, I for one enjoy it since it adds tension to the whole arc. Though I still much prefer the Yorknew arc and even the next arc.
HxH return, incoming?

What are you talking about. Chapter 339 was a great ending to the manga, it's over.

Fuck me I'm getting hyped again. If this turns out to be fake I don't think my heart can take it. D:

Peco

The issue isn't character development. The issue is the jumping between current events that make it where nothing happened since the last time you saw a character, which might've been like 2 episodes ago. Then it jumps back to another character 2 episodes later, and they're in the same spot as before, so on and so forth. Not to mention people have been waiting for one or two major fights to happen. I've never had to wait 20+ episodes to see a fight I've been teased at the beginning of the end of an arc. I've watched plenty of shonen action before.

This show had a chance to fight in equal terms against Gintama for me, now it's gone downhill. I'm glad to hear the pacing is better for the next arc, lord knows I can't take more of this.

To be honest the next arc is nothing special compared to the Chimera Ant arc. Still a ton of stuff going on tho.

MCD

Question: is Hunter popular in Japan? And what about the anime? Was/is it a hit in sales?

I'm a recent believer in this series so curious to know more.

Real mature to scoff at me and tell me I like simplistic and pandering media because I have a legitimate complaint over pacing and it's an issue many have brought forth before. I'm complaining about X and you're insulting me over Y. I implied I have read the novels and enjoy them because they know when to cut out and move on to the next character, instead of doing it mid-action like the tv show. I understand it's a tv show and it can only do so much, hence why I'm more forgiving of that over how Hunter x Hunter is handling it. Assuming the jump in between scenes was the same in the manga. I was just told by somebody else that when they read the manga they found themselves skipping pages because of it, let's not pretend it is not an issue to discuss considering plenty of fans have shown their distaste.

I thought GAF was meant for discussion, not for baseless condescension.

I don't understand the whole paceing issue rubbish people are talking about, we're being feed new information at all times, there something happening at all times and the individual characters story is progressing with each episode.

Last episode dealt with the story of palm's situation &killua feeling of helplessness , the one before that dealt with ikalgo resolve his confrontation with wolfin and wolfing back story.

It's clear the people who are having that issue are those who came in expect some sort of fair tail bs level story where it's the main character all the time nobody else matters & are moaning why someone other then the main character is having screen time and why haven't they flyed off into space to yell & shoot fire balls at each other.

Personally myself I love it even more then I did before this arc is one if not the best arc I've witnessed in anime.
I really really like hunter x hunter overall but I kind of understand where people are coming from regardless of whether or not I agree with it. Arcs last a longggggggg ass time on this show and if the focus is mostly on characters you aren't really into, it really drags.

No different than A song of Ice and Fire books to me. Sometimes they focus on characters that I'm just not into and it drags and feels like nothing is really going on (sometimes literally nothing but that's another story).

I really really like hunter x hunter overall but I kind of understand where people are coming from regardless of whether or not I agree with it. Arcs last a longggggggg ass time on this show and if the focus is mostly on characters you aren't really into, it really drags.

No different than A song of Ice and Fire books to me. Sometimes they focus on characters that I'm just not into and it drags and feels like nothing is really going on (sometimes literally nothing but that's another story).

Whichever book it was, either Feast for Crows or Dance With Dragons, that like took away focus from a lot of characters that people loved and focused so heavily on the Greyjoys which are almost consistently disliked for multiple reasons, is a neat example of this. Yes it expanded on the world and its customs and it was interesting to learn more about the Greyjoys, but I personally didn't need what was practically a whole book focused on them.

Soriku

HxH overall is pretty good (though a bit overrated), but I do feel this arc has some pacing issues and parts where nothing that interesting is happening. So it's far from amazing IMO. On the contrary, I think I like Greed Island more than most people...

I still feel the Yorknew arc was HxH's pinnacle.

Top Bottom