• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

HxH overall is pretty good (though a bit overrated), but I do feel this arc has some pacing issues and parts where nothing that interesting is happening. So it's far from amazing IMO. On the contrary, I think I like Greed Island more than most people...

I still feel the Yorknew arc was HxH's pinnacle.

That arc broke so many shonen rules; it was just so unpredictable.

This arc is awesome but I feel that I would like it better if I marathonned it. It's not as bad as One Piece, though. I marathonned like 500 episodes and was amazed at how little filler it had. When I started watching it weekly, I realized how unbearably slow it moved.
My solution: only watch it after an arc has finished. For those of you who can't handle Hunter x Hunter's pacing, I suggest waiting until it's over. You'll like it a lot more.

fertygo

I think the Yorknew arc and the opening of Chimera Ants arc were the best parts of HxH.

Nah, the middle part where Komugi and King playing gungi and the crew preparing attack was better.. the slow pace actually working magnificently in that part, with I also engaged so much with the cast from both sides.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Kite parts were the absolute best. Everything after...

If Gon doesn't go full ham on Pitou then this arc can go fuck itself.

3h3WRAl.png

fertygo

Eh I don't really care for the Kite part aside for the climax and its effect for current Gon, this adaptation kinda ruin his relationship with Gon anyway.

Ninjimbo

For some reason, I have a feeling Gon isn't going to fight Pitou. Either that, or the fight is going to underwhelm. It just doesn't feel like its building up towards a traditional showdown. Something is going to get in the way of that, I believe.

I wouldn't mind a twist like that to be honest.

Nah, the middle part where Komugi and King and the crew preparing attack was better.. the slow pace actually working magnificently in that part, with I also engaged so much with the cast from both sides.
This, Yorknew and Gon yelling at Pitou were the best parts of the series. Netero vs King is going pretty well too.
Kite parts were the absolute best. Everything after...

If Gon doesn't go full ham on Pitou then this arc can go fuck itself.
I'm pretty sure Gon has no chance against Pitou, unless he cheats like Netero is against the King.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
For some reason, I have a feeling Gon isn't going to fight Pitou. Either that, or the fight is going to underwhelm. It just doesn't feel like its building up towards a traditional showdown. Something is going to get in the way of that, I believe.

tumblr_n3425hHYg91reges0o2_250.gif

Nibel

Yup

Anyone who thinks that Gon will back off or that the fight won't be intense is a moron - just look at the last episode: even Pitou is now willing to kill him since it realizes what danger Gon might be to the king; heck, Pitou even tries to come up with a quick solution

Both sides want to kill each other off, and I assume there will be a fight

Look at what I found!

KwpkCKm.jpg

Not sure if #TeamCG, #TeamReal or #TeamNenDouble

MilkBeard

Personally I think the beginning of the Chimera Ant arc was one of the worst moments in the series. However, the arc has transformed into one of the best moments of the series, in my opinion.

The way it transitioned was so clunky and random that it made me question if it was a filler arc or a real one.
One of my favorite moments was the Yorknew arc, with the auctions and Kurapika's fight with his new abilities. I hope one day Togashi returns to that storyline. I also really, really want to see Hisoka fight Chrollo for real.

MilkBeard

Bleach has solid more than HxH? Ack. Christ.

Also don't worry guys about Gon vs Pitou. It'll happen.

Yeah because it's way longer. It's also a good series for the most part, the fights are awesome. Hunter X Hunter is pretty awesome, and probably would have sold more if it were continuously released on a regular schedule.

Tuck

Just started the greed Island arc.

So... Kurapika and Leorio aren't sticking around? Weird - I'm surprised. That said, I definitely prefer Gon/Killua on their own, but it just seemed like those four were the main characters of the series, yet thats apparently not so. Kurapika at least had a big role in the Yorknew arc, but Leorio still hasn't done really anything useful, besides being somewhat funny.

Just weird that the show is dumping two major characters just like that. But so long as Gon and Killua are together, I guess it'll be ok.

Blades64

Banned

So... Kurapika and Leorio aren't sticking around? Weird - I'm surprised. That said, I definitely prefer Gon/Killua on their own, but it just seemed like those four were the main characters of the series, yet thats apparently not so. Kurapika at least had a big role in the Yorknew arc, but Leorio still hasn't done really anything useful, besides being somewhat funny.

Just weird that the show is dumping two major characters just like that. But so long as Gon and Killua are together, I guess it'll be ok.

Abandoning Kurapika and Leorio is one of the only disappointments I have with this show. Leorio especially I wanted to get some character development (or even develop some Nen abilities).

Soriku

I need my Leorio doctor-focused arc. Or something like that.

fertygo

)itou is might be my favorite ant, the fact the animator always drawing him/her in extra detail is helping I guess lol
seriously the facial drawing for pitou is damned good since the attack.

Decided to watch this show on a whim after getting a crunchyroll free trial. I thought t he series was off to a great start but this chimera ant arc is bumming me out. I can't quite put my finger on it...

vareon

Yorkshin is my favorite arc in a shonen manga ever. You might notice that from my avatar Neorice masterfully drew!

Chimera Ant is SUPER LONG that I treat it as a whole second half of HxH. All the previous arc was a training for Gon and Killua's first real job as a hunter.

Rootbeer

Banned
VIZ is reporting the news http://shonenjump.viz.com/node/2076

4/28 please come fast!

Practice your happy dance because Hunter x Hunter is coming back! And not only coming back, but joining the Weekly Shonen Jump lineup! You'll be able to read Gon's adventures as a Professional Hunter every week! We're planning a bunch of coverage leading up to the event!

Looks like I'll be subbing to shonen jump :)

(okay, this isn't anime related, so I won't post anymore about it... just thought fans would like to know details)

Cbajd5

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-04-22/hunter-x-hunter-manga-to-resume-in-june

Yes!!! Hopefully he'll get an arc or two done and the anime returns in a couple of years.

VIZ is reporting the news http://shonenjump.viz.com/node/2076

4/28 please come fast!

Looks like I'll be subbing to shonen jump :)

(okay, this isn't anime related, so I won't post anymore about it... just thought fans would like to know details)

ipnMq3ivJo7yC.gif

also yay for the league of people guessing it was this in response to the original "announcement of an announcement" tweet

FluxWaveZ

If this means that the anime gets to continue in a timely fashion, great (and great without that too, I guess, but greater with the possibility).

TheChits

Just incredible. Easily my favorite shounen now.
Netero is the baddest old dude I've ever seen. What a beautiful fight between him and Mereum. I loved the focus on tactics and strategy here. Seeing Netero dismembered and frail was heartbreaking at first, but then THAT happened. What a swerve. Mereum realizing he had been checkmated from the start was an amazing moment. Just superb. The urge to read ahead is stronger than ever.

BobLoblaw

Banned
Netero is the baddest old dude I've ever seen. What a beautiful fight between him and Mereum. I loved the focus on tactics and strategy here. Seeing Netero dismembered and frail was heartbreaking at first, but then THAT happened. What a swerve. Mereum realizing he had been checkmated from the start was an amazing moment. Just superb. The urge to read ahead is stronger than ever.
This. GODDAMN!!! Plus it's great to hear the manga's finally coming back.

The feelings of admiration, awe, determination, and shattering of confidence.

That fight to the death was a thing of animated beauty. *sheds tear*

This was a damn good episode and even though I knew what was coming, I still got excited.
Netero going nuclear and seeing Meruem afraid for the first time was perfect.

I also loved the imagery in this episode. The needles against the background of a galaxy to catch the thread of fate and the roses, of course, hinted at the nuclear device Netero had within him.

And "Ant King, you believe I cannot pray with a single arm?"

Daingurse

This was a damn good episode and even though I knew what was coming, I still got excited.
Netero going nuclear and seeing Meruem afraid for the first time was perfect.

I also loved the imagery in this episode. The needles against the background of a galaxy to catch the thread of fate and the roses, of course, hinted at the nuclear device Netero had within him.

And "Ant King, you believe I cannot pray with a single arm?"

I also unfortunately learned about the nuclear device as well, prior to this episode. Still, knowing that one detail was not enough to spoil this. This episode was fucking amazing. Easily one of my favorite episodes in a shounen anime to date. The sheer overwhelming strength of the Meruem boggles the fucking mind. This dude is either dead, or coming back even stronger thanks to the radiation, on some straight Godzilla shit. Mereum likens himself to the ultimate biological lifeform, and it's hard to argue against it.

Netereo however has to be one of the finest examples the human race has to offer in this universe. He spent soooooooooo much time acquiring his powers, only to be dismembered in quick fashion by the King. Even that INSANE Zero Hand did only cosmetic damage, that attack had every bit of life Netero had. Yet still, from the very beginning he was willing to die to take Mereum out, and he definitely had the last laugh at the moment. Netereo was scary as fuck in his last moments, extremely intimidating despite his body.

I haven't seen a character go out that bad-ass in a loooong time.

Even knowing what was going to happen this episode, holy shit that was fucking amazing. The animation and music were absolutely top notch. This is why the Chimera Ant Arc is probably the best shonen arc I've ever read/watched. Thank you, based Togashi. Hopefully the new arc in June will live up to this one!

I also unfortunately learned about the nuclear device as well, prior to this episode. Still, knowing that one detail was not enough to spoil this. This episode was fucking amazing. Easily one of my favorite episodes in a shounen anime to date. The sheer overwhelming strength of the Meruem boggles the fucking mind. This dude is either dead, or coming back even stronger thanks to the radiation, on some straight Godzilla shit. Mereum likens himself to the ultimate biological lifeform, and it's hard to argue against it.

Netereo however has to be one of the finest examples the human race has to offer in this universe. He spent soooooooooo much time acquiring his powers, only to be dismembered in quick fashion by the King. Even that INSANE Zero Hand did only cosmetic damage, that attack had every bit of life Netero had. Yet still, from the very beginning he was willing to die to take Mereum out, and he definitely had the last laugh at the moment. Netereo was scary as fuck in his last moments, extremely intimidating despite his body.

I haven't seen a character go out that bad-ass in a loooong time.

I only knew because I read the manga, not because I was spoiled. I'm sorry you were spoiled on that detail, but even knowing it, the episode was still great

Top Bottom