• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

shira

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
Dat ending. Holy fucking shit, I didn't even need to see the preview.

smoking.gif

This and the manga is back on! What a day!!!!!

Mmmhhh!

What I can say, that you didn't say already! Beautiful animation, direction, execution, great understanding of the key moments of the manga perfectly translated to the anime, what an episode.

The hundreds attack of Netero vs the King, the admiration, the pattern being discovered by the King, the "you pray with your heart!" moment, the malice of humans and the knowledge of true fear in the end... perfect.

upandaway

That final part was everything I wanted. Netero looked so scary.

The whole episode was amazing, I need to calm down now haha. phew!

Netero looked just as terrifying as he did in the manga in his last moments, they captured it perfectly.

I love how the King kept talking about how he was the apex of evolution and then he gets done in by the true power of the human race, it wasn't our physical attributes that put us at the top of the food chain, it was our ability to develop tools and weapons that led us to conquer the earth.

Daingurse

Netero looked just as terrifying as he did in the manga in his last moments, they captured it perfectly.

I love how the King kept talking about how he was the apex of evolution and then he gets done in by the true power of the human race, it wasn't our physical attributes that put us at the top of the food chain, it was our ability to develop tools and weapons that led us to conquer the earth.

It is really ironic . . .
that the physical pinnacle of our species was just the detonator for mankind's true potential: Science. Fucking Togashi is the man, lol.

I'm guessing Mereum is simply too powerful to be killed in a straight up fight by humans. After seeing Netero give his all, and still do no real damage, I can't see any human beating him in a a traditional 1v1 throwdown, period. After all he has his entire specie's motivation behind him. Now let's see if this dude is nuke proof, I'd believe it.

nasax

I love how in this episode, the build up and the chat between Netero and the king was about the overall fight between humans and beasts/ants but in the last few minutes before the climax, Netero's death eyes were dark, huge almost like a bug while the king's eyes were full of fear, almost human like.

That's so fucking deep and Madhouse are gods! The imagery is incredible. Best anime I've ever seen.

Trevelyon

I fucking love this arc.

Thankfully we've come a long, long way from the, what the hell is this throw away Island of Dr. Moreau Cell rip-off etch-a-sketch arc? where the fuck is Kurapika already mindset.

Glad it's finally getting its due, a decade or so on, lol.

Yeah, it was most definitely one of the best episodes I've seen of HxH and probably the best of the current arc.

Really though. How strong is the King eh?
Those giant palm attacks and he just shrugs them off. And then Netero's zero hand and it only gives Mereum a few cuts and a scruffier looking appearance. Those last few shots of Netero made him look scarier than the King himself! But what a badass way to go out, and if this attack doesn't work then how the heck will anybody stop him?

Thankfully we've come a long, long way from the, what the hell is this throw away Island of Dr. Moreau Cell rip-off etch-a-sketch arc? where the fuck is Kurapika already mindset.

Glad it's finally getting its due, a decade or so on, lol.

Hahhah. I remember years ago when the arc started in the manga, being a little salty because it wasn't continuing the Ryodan/Kurapica plot (even after Greed Island advanced it in the background). And at first I thought "this arc seems to be a bug hunt, I suppose it will be a short arc with a clear enemy to show off the new powers of the characters".

Famous last words eh?

Hahhah. I remember years ago when the arc started in the manga, being a little salty because it wasn't continuing the Ryodan/Kurapica plot (even after Greed Island advanced it in the background). And at first I thought "this arc seems to be a bug hunt, I suppose it will be a short arc with a clear enemy to show off the new powers of the characters".

Famous last words eh?

Ha! Luckily, I got into the manga after catching up with the show in the summer. A lot of people were saying that the Chimera Ant arc was godly so I read it and was blown away by all of the stuff that happens in it. This arc has been going on for almost a year and we still have at least five more episodes, IIRC. Perhaps more.

Shouta

It is really ironic . . .
that the physical pinnacle of our species was just the detonator for mankind's true potential: Science. Fucking Togashi is the man, lol.

I'm guessing Mereum is simply too powerful to be killed in a straight up fight by humans. After seeing Netero give his all, and still do no real damage, I can't see any human beating him in a a traditional 1v1 throwdown, period. After all he has his entire specie's motivation behind him. Now let's see if this dude is nuke proof, I'd believe it.

Some discussion on lore from the series but spoilering just in case folks haven't seen the episode yet.

Remember, Netero is really old. He's probably at the pinnacle of current humans in regards to Nen but he hasn't been at HIS pinnacle for more than what, 50 years? It may have been a different encounter if he was a younger, more powerful version of himself. The twist with the Mini-Rose was amazing though and harkens back to the discussion of Nen levels in a way. Just because someone's maximum is higher than yours doesn't mean that they are fighting at that level at the time and it doesn't mean they're invincible. Netero might not have been strong as the King but he still won in the end. =P

WHAT? How can you top THAT?!

Oh, you'll see.

Popnbake

Well if you can't beat 'em, nuke 'em. :p

Crazy episode and the "oh shit!" look made by the King and the ending animations was just perfect.

Yeah, it was most definitely one of the best episodes I've seen of HxH and probably the best of the current arc.

Really though. How strong is the King eh?
Those giant palm attacks and he just shrugs them off. And then Netero's zero hand and it only gives Mereum a few cuts and a scruffier looking appearance. Those last few shots of Netero made him look scarier than the King himself! But what a badass way to go out, and if this attack doesn't work then how the heck will anybody stop him?

It's crazy how the King was just born with such power.

He even accepted the handicap of not being able to kill Netero in the fight.

Daingurse

Some discussion on lore from the series but spoilering just in case folks haven't seen the episode yet.

Remember, Netero is really old. He's probably at the pinnacle of current humans in regards to Nen but he hasn't been at HIS pinnacle for more than what, 50 years? It may have been a different encounter if he was a younger, more powerful version of himself. The twist with the Mini-Rose was amazing though and harkens back to the discussion of Nen levels in a way. Just because someone's maximum is higher than yours doesn't mean that they are fighting at that level at the time and it doesn't mean they're invincible. Netero might not have been strong as the King but he still won in the end. =P

Man, a Netero Prime may have been able to push Mereum even further, possibly put true pressure on him. After seeing Zero Hand do so little damage . . . man I just don't know what kind of power is needed to get past the King's durability. You're right though, at the end of the day it looks like Netero has won. Humanity has seemingly triumphed.

I'm watching this episode again. Best HxH episode ever?

It's up there, this is Kurapika vs Uvogin level shit, if not better. Some of the best I've seen from the genre. I'm also very fond of 112. One of the best set-up episodes I've ever seen in a Shounen. I still watch that shit.

Ha! Luckily, I got into the manga after catching up with the show in the summer. A lot of people were saying that the Chimera Ant arc was godly so I read it and was blown away by all of the stuff that happens in it. This arc has been going on for almost a year and we still have at least five more episodes, IIRC. Perhaps more.

Possibly, I'm one of the oldest non-asian hxh readers here.

I happened to start read scanlations just as the scene was forming. I remember when Naruto wasn't that famous...

Them throwing in the still frame of
Netero flipping the bird during the zero hand arm movement for the beam caught me a bit off guard in the middle of an intense fight.
Got a chuckle out of me.

One of the occasions where the weakness in Togashi's storytelling really come to light. Unfortunately by being confined and trapped by the expectations of general storytelling for the genre prevents anything truly grande from taking place leaving me with a rather unsatisfied impression from the episode. It would have been more interesting and pleasing if a different scenario played out. Hopefully the next episode or one after that gets us back on track.
Mainly the fact that Netero ended up losing after spending these numerous weeks moving and fighting just made it quite a disappointment. I imagine most imagined that he would lose and tragically he did. It would have been better if his one final laser attack had dealt damage or a true hi-ougi rendered instead of a low budget bomb. At least that would have enabled some lasting damage on the king instead of him escaping unharmed by moving back in time.

Battle choreography was really strange as well as the random scene to a laser beam fight in space made this feel more like a substandard mecha than an adventure series so I wonder if an alternative could have been pursued, it didnt make sense in context and out of context and took us out of the experience.

Naruto had so much potential. It should've ended after the Pain arc.

That was the perfect end for Naruto, but then Kishimoto had to keep making more.

Mainly the fact that Netero ended up losing after spending these numerous weeks moving and fighting just made it quite a disappointment. I imagine most imagined that he would lose and tragically he did. It would have been better if his one final laser attack had dealt damage or a true hi-ougi rendered instead of a low budget bomb. At least that would have enabled some lasting damage on the king instead of him escaping unharmed by moving back in time.
Like someone else said earlier,
the nuclear bomb shows that humans do not only rely on Nen to get by in the world. The reason humans are so devastating is our grasp of technology and knowledge. And who says he lost?

I thought the way the fight ended was actually great storytelling. If Netero's zero hand wound had profoundly hurt the king it would have betrayed the themes of the arc and pretty much the whole show as most of the epic battles in HxH have been won thanks the human ingenuity and not raw power. If Netero had beaten the king in a straight, head to head fight it would be a slap in the face to this arc's constant touting of the King's power. No human could've beaten the King in a fight, but the collective human ingenuity that made that nuclear bomb could. That's why to me, Netero's flippant confidence in a fight that he is losing is so great.

Mortemis

Banned
Incredible episode. I love the way that
they were able to get Netero's dying face just right. It really helped the mood of the whole episode
. It was a near perfect adaptation of the fight, couldn't have asked for better Madhouse.
Knov's portals, someone set him up the bomb, KABLOOEY, end of arc.

There's an explanation to why he couldn't really just bomb him outright in the beginning but I think(?) it would be spoilers so I'll just answer this. There's no way in hell Know could've put Meruem in a portal. Dude lost all his hair and is still shitting himself just by getting close to Pouf, there's no way he could've gotten close enough to put him in a portal. Also I really doubt anyone other than Netero could have done anything, it's been said Netero is the pinnacle of what a human can accomplish with Nen, there may be people that could best him in a fight but no one could have gotten any better results going up against the King. He's just too much to handle without having to use other alternatives, which they showed here.

Kieli

Utterly ridonkulous. Netero and Mereum straight up beastin'.

Feitan can eat turd, lmao. These two monsters are in a completely different tier of speed.

That episode was insane.
I am speechless.

I never thought that anyone (human) would be able to beat Meruem, and that they should probably just drop a nuke or something on him. I didn't know if the world of HxH had that technology, though.
i thought there were innocent civilians in the vicinity of the mansion?
Yeah, I thought that was one of the reasons they wanted to isolate the King away from the palace and city.
To a former bomb/weapons testing site, no less.

One of the points of the mission was to minimize the number of human casualties, after all, or maybe that's an assumption I made.

Top Bottom