• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

Moaradin

So heard the news
HXH anme saved, speaking of which im several episodes behind but forgot the number, can someone remind me?
The episode I believe I left off on Morel almost died by Youpi but was rescued and youpi discovered honor and decided to let him live

Episode 121 I think.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Hunter X Hunter 2011 Episode 122
aw yeah, it started getting really hype at the end, we gonna see a real match.

Them throwing in the still frame of
Netero flipping the bird during the zero hand arm movement for the beam caught me a bit off guard in the middle of an intense fight.
Got a chuckle out of me.

I'm pretty sure that was the hand sign for Zero Hand and he wasn't flipping the bird.

Or it could be both.

FluxWaveZ

Science mo'fuckas!!!

I'll be honest, that conclusion kind of disappointed me, but then I read the reactions in this thread and I gained an appreciation for it, realizing I was overlooking the thematic relevance of what had happened.

All that came to mind before was that some bomb out of nowhere ending this long struggle felt cheap, but it makes total sense given their dialogue about evolution, collective efforts of a species and Netero telling Meruem that he knew nothing. Things were so intense that I didn't bother thinking about it until it was over.

Really looking forward to see what happens next. That was a great episode.

Akainu

One of the occasions where the weakness in Togashi's storytelling really come to light. Unfortunately by being confined and trapped by the expectations of general storytelling for the genre prevents anything truly grande from taking place leaving me with a rather unsatisfied impression from the episode. It would have been more interesting and pleasing if a different scenario played out. Hopefully the next episode or one after that gets us back on track.
Mainly the fact that Netero ended up losing after spending these numerous weeks moving and fighting just made it quite a disappointment. I imagine most imagined that he would lose and tragically he did. It would have been better if his one final laser attack had dealt damage or a true hi-ougi rendered instead of a low budget bomb. At least that would have enabled some lasting damage on the king instead of him escaping unharmed by moving back in time.

Battle choreography was really strange as well as the random scene to a laser beam fight in space made this feel more like a substandard mecha than an adventure series so I wonder if an alternative could have been pursued, it didnt make sense in context and out of context and took us out of the experience.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Hunter X Hunter 2011 Episode 123
I thought I was going to be disappointed since they teased me up and not show the big fight but I ended up liking this episode way more than I thought, it's all starting to come together now.

Tobe

you dont know how big my smile is right now. i told you guys you were in for a treat in the netero fight. and god did madhouse delivered. i guess the only way to make it better is the zero hand gesture aka the fuck you imma flip bitch ant, a bit longer is such maybe instead of the narrator to tell how the attacked worked, netero would do it but still, im fuckibg happy that you enjoyed the episode. :)

now just wait on to the gon stuff ohhh boy ohhh boy.

I'm pretty sure that was the hand sign for Zero Hand and he wasn't flipping the bird.

Or it could be both.

It likely wasn't meant to be within the confines of the story since I don't think that kind of thing is really within Netero's character but as a viewer it certainly appeared awfully middle fingerish which is why it caught me a bit off guard within that scene.

CwQWAo4.png

FluxWaveZ

I like the middle finger. A lot.

And also, I don't know about it being too out of character. Dude was getting pretty pissed at Meruem during the course of the battle.

Kieli

I'll be honest, that conclusion kind of disappointed me, but then I read the reactions in this thread and I gained an appreciation for it, realizing I was overlooking the thematic relevance of what had happened.

All that came to mind before was that some bomb out of nowhere ending this long struggle felt cheap, but it makes total sense given their dialogue about evolution, collective efforts of a species and Netero telling Meruem that he knew nothing. Things were so intense that I didn't bother thinking about it until it was over.

Really looking forward to see what happens next. That was a great episode.

For sure. I had the exact same thought process as you, :lol. Didn't like it at first, but gained an appreciation after seeing it discussed and appreciating what the author was trying to go for.

In the end, the animal/insect kingdom has us beat in physiological terms, so we compensate the only way we can. More dakka. :3

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
The narration, along with the constant pauses to facilitate it and the extensive internal monologues that largely lacked relevance (oh yay the king was able to infer Netero's training history) completely disengaged me from the events unfolding. This was a very important time to show, not tell. Too faithful to the manga in this case.

The narration, along with the constant pauses to facilitate it and the extensive internal monologues that largely lacked relevance (oh yay the king was able to infer Netero's training history) completely disengaged me from the events unfolding. This was a very important time to show, not tell. Too faithful to the manga in this case.

To be fair this whole arc has had the narrator as a protagonist and internal monologues. So it doesn't surprise me. Guess it didn't bother me since I was so pleased with the fact I wasn't jumping back and forth between people staring at each other and finally got to see a fight finish gloriously.

It certainly works better in a medium where it takes a couple of minutes to cover the same ground that multiple half hour episodes would be covering. When you are talking about watching something in video form you are a lot better off either skipping the explaining or having it happen in the aftermath of the major battle when not as much is going to be going on anyways.

I personally was still able to enjoy it but I can see how it could be immersion shattering for others. I think even just eliminating most of the narration and allowing the inner monologues to handle it all would be a far better solution then having to deal with both going on at once in a single battle.

fertygo

I won't say its irrelevant because its big set-up to made viewer think the King has Netero in checkmate, without the monologue its will cause Impression the King just overpowering Netero, plus some line like how King garnering respect for Netero is served to great contrast with how the battle end, I can understand your point though but I think they do it OK for this eps unlike some other episode.

Blades64

Banned

While I found this episode soooo awesome, I can still see why you would feel this way. Maybe when the events between Gon and Pitou unfold, we wont have that much narration. I hope so at least...

kirblar

This fight is really boring if you play it straight. SLAPSLAPSLAPSLAPSLAP. Didn't mind the narrration at all because of it.

Kieli

I don't think the device of having an explicit "narrator" really translated well from the manga to the anime. You can very much read at your own pace and select what to process and what to ignore; here, you're very much at the mercy and whim of the director.

You gotta play ball, even if you think what is being expounded on either is too obvious (don't treat me like an idiot) or too insightful (doesn't leave room for ambiguity).

Edit: I guess what I said applies to animation adaptations in general. But I meant more in the sense of having the narrator actually explain (and often slowing down) stuff.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
In an adaptation from print to screen you lose some motivations, but preserve what you can through acting and convert some of the internal monologue to dialogue. It's not 1:1, but it shouldn't be, otherwise season 1 of Game of Thrones would be 100 hours long and entire episodes would be dedicated to Ned Stark sitting at a tree thinking about things. It's all important, but it's not right for the medium.

Anime adaptations of manga are a bit different, of course, since you essentially have amazing storyboarding handed to you and can often just fill in some of the spaces between panels and be good to go, but here, the narrator needed to be axed or minimized, the internal monologues needed streamlining, and the fight should have flowed instead of skipping forward multiple times straight to
flying appendages

Mortemis

Banned
In an adaptation from print to screen you lose some motivations, but preserve what you can through acting and convert some of the internal monologue to dialogue. It's not 1:1, but it shouldn't be, otherwise season 1 of Game of Thrones would be 100 hours long and entire episodes would be dedicated to Ned Stark sitting at a tree thinking about things. It's all important, but it's not right for the medium.

Anime adaptations of manga are a bit different, of course, since you essentially have amazing storyboarding handed to you and can often just fill in some of the spaces between panels and be good to go, but here, the narrator needed to be axed or minimized, the internal monologues needed streamlining, and the fight should have flowed instead of skipping forward multiple times straight to
flying appendages

While I do agree that the narrator got in the way at times, I didn't really see it as much of a problem as it has been in previous episodes. The narrator while interrupting certain moments wasn't a nuisance as he was before and the fight's tension and flow wasn't as choppy.

I noticed that Togashi tends to do break things up during big fights, this case it was with the narrator and the flashback and if we go back to Kurapika vs Uvogin there was that flashback right in the middle. Both moments were a bit unneeded but it didn't get in the way of my enjoyment.

flying appendages

Personally I still believe that one of the best manga to anime adaptations was FMA:Brotherhood. It didn't have anything particular to the manga medium that wouldn't translate too well in here, like say a narrator or a lot of internal monologues.

Nephtis

Wasn't this the last job Netero's VA did before his death? Because if so, this is one hell of a way to go. This is also probably why the studio spared no expenses in the creation of this episode.

phaze

When Netero said he's not alone I thought we'd finally get to see Ging. :(

Great episode even if the ultimate conclusion felt bit out of nowhere.
RIP Netero.

Soriku

Well damn. I'm glad Madhouse didn't cockblock us out of this fight finally lol. They put a ton of effort and variety into the visuals. Narrator dude didn't bother me...the episode went by fast as is. I think they could've given the limb loss more punch, particularly when he lost his arm, but that's my only complaint.

Netero looked super creepy with his gaping mouth at the end lol. RIP.

Next week, Pouf loses his shit. The aftereffects of this fight should be good.

It likely wasn't meant to be within the confines of the story since I don't think that kind of thing is really within Netero's character but as a viewer it certainly appeared awfully middle fingerish which is why it caught me a bit off guard within that scene.

Nah that was just his crazy Buddhist stance.

Nephtis

Nah that was just his crazy Buddhist stance.

I think that's supposed to be a sort of inside joke. The attack is supposed to envelop the victim in pure love, while the user's stance is basically just flipping the middle finger before the laser goes off.

remz

I think that's supposed to be a sort of inside joke. The attack is supposed to envelop the victim in pure love, while the user's stance is basically just flipping the middle finger before the laser goes off.

It is described as a "merciless attack from the most merciless goddess" in the English manga volumes so I think you're right. The enveloping hands of "love" are a joke compared to the actual attack- a completely hateful, desperate final blast. Netero's big Fuck You.

Definitely think it was meant to be flipping the middle finger.

Looking at the manga actually I'm glad they did this fight without interruptions. Holds the suspense much, much better this way.

Narration actually worked in the show's favor for the first time in a while. This episode felt more "yay humanity" than the manga, where it seemed like humanity's triumph came from a greater capacity for evil. Maybe I'm misremembering though.

remz

Narration actually worked in the show's favor for the first time in a while. This episode felt more "yay humanity" than the manga, where it seemed like humanity's triumph came from a greater capacity for evil. Maybe I'm misremembering though.
The episodes narration was definitely more "yay humanity" here with "Humanity can evolve also" as opposed to the written version's "You know nothing of the bottomless malice within the human heart" before the rose.

Malo

Banned
Holy fuck! That was amazing. You guys are in for a treat if you thought this episode was great.

Hunter x Hunter da GOAT

LogicStep

I felt it was perfect.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
The episodes narration was definitely more "yay humanity" here with "Humanity can evolve also" as opposed to the written version's "You know nothing of the bottomless malice within the human heart" before the rose.
The Ants getting more human-like traits like curiosity and respect for the enemy (see also Youpi) while Netero is all like "no, fuck you" is a clear role reversal on how both sides were presented at the beginning of this arc. The
nuke
just reinforces the idea that humanity can be as cruel as the man-eating monsters.

Jigolo

Any manga readers can let me know up to which chapters its safe to read? Haven't read in over a month due to the change in the order the anime was covering the writing

Top Bottom