• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Hunter X Hunter 2011 Episode 125
OMFG the animation, the budget, the epic netero monologuing, the music dear lord the music fdjkbfjkfjkdbfkdsjksdjk

Philippo

I don't think it was planned since then, it's just a simple pose, there is no foreshadowing of
missing arms
At the very best it could only be a reference.

Did anyone notice this reference to the Hunter exams?

I think that's just a coincidence.

One dude in here spoiling the King's name without tag before this eps too lol

That was me and I made sure it was said prior to this episode. And it's not like his name is a huge revelation that changes the way you think about him. It's a made up name like Pitou and the others and have no meaning behind them.

upandaway

I don't think it was planned since then, it's just a simple pose, there is no foreshadowing of
missing arms
At the very best it could only be a reference.
Not referring to the pose, it's referring to the fact that in the game, Netero said he won't be using his left arm or right leg.

Of course it wasn't planned over more than a decade obviously, but it just has to be a reference.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Not referring to the pose, it's referring to the fact that in the game, Netero said he won't be using his left arm or right leg.

Of course it wasn't planned over more than a decade obviously, but it just has to be a reference.

AjFDz.gif

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

Holy fucking shit TOGASHIIII

Both work, which is why a lot of Japanese readers have long been confused as to whose line that was exactly: Netero's or the King's? The animated adaptation has finally clarified that.
The fact remains that the line says "you were in checkmate from the beginning", so the English translation messed up.

The manga translates it a bunch of different ways. Regardless, it makes sense whatever way you put it. Both of them were in checkmate.

Damn, son, I never even noticed that. Shit's over the top cray. Togashi GOAT storyteller.

That was me and I made sure it was said prior to this episode. And it's not like his name is a huge revelation that changes the way you think about him. It's a made up name like Pitou and the others and have no meaning behind them.

Actually, the name Meruem does mean "the light that shines over all" (according to the queen). But it still doesn't affect the story.

Edit: Also, all the Royal Guards names are references to Egyptian Gods combined with the names of characters from some french book, and Meruem comes from something in arabic. (Bonus points to Pitou's abilities Dr. Blythe and Terpsichora which are also references to the Blythe doll and a Greek Muse respectively)

My ignorance should cost me an arm and a leg

Actually, the name Meruem does mean "the light that shines over all" (according to the queen). But it still doesn't affect the story.

Edit: Also, all the Royal Guards names are references to Egyptian Gods combined with the names of characters from some french book, and Meruem comes from something in arabic. (Bonus points to Pitou's abilities Dr. Blythe and Terpsichora which are also references to the Blythe doll and a Greek Muse respectively)

I learn something new about this anime every day. I kind of figured that PItou's was vaguely Egyptian, but I didn't know about the others.

Erigu

He didn't say he would only use an arm and a leg, it's Killua who realized he was barely using an arm and a leg all along.
Also, it actually was the right arm and left leg that Netero almost wasn't using in that game, i.e. not the limbs he lost this time around.

But yeah, one arm and one leg.

foxuzamaki

Yo. im legit shook.

foxuzamaki

Some discussion on lore from the series but spoilering just in case folks haven't seen the episode yet.

Remember, Netero is really old. He's probably at the pinnacle of current humans in regards to Nen but he hasn't been at HIS pinnacle for more than what, 50 years? It may have been a different encounter if he was a younger, more powerful version of himself. The twist with the Mini-Rose was amazing though and harkens back to the discussion of Nen levels in a way. Just because someone's maximum is higher than yours doesn't mean that they are fighting at that level at the time and it doesn't mean they're invincible. Netero might not have been strong as the King but he still won in the end. =P

Oh, you'll see.
Yeah would love to see netero at his prime, that makes me excited to se how strong Gon's father is, I wonder if he is weaker than netero overall or maybe even stronger then him.

TheChits

Yeah would love to see netero at his prime, that makes me excited to se how strong Gon's father is, I wonder if he is weaker than netero overall or maybe even stronger then him.

I can't imagine anyone else being close to Netero or the King. Those dudes seemed pretty godlike in power lol

Blades64

Banned

I imagine Ging would be pretty strong sure (certainly above Kite, Razor, etc), but I just don't see anybody else being at Netero's level...

Talents

Banned
I imagine Ging would be pretty strong sure (certainly above Kite, Razor, etc), but I just don't see anybody else being at Netero's level...
I dunno, I honestly reckon someone like Ging would be able to deal with Meruem, he's been hyped up to be one of the most powerful Nen users so I wouldn't be surprised if he was above Netero and maybe even Meruem.

I've always thought that the way Meruem would be beaten would be by someone like Ging.

Philippo

Wasn't the point that there is no human on Meruem's level, no matter what?
I mean, that's exactly why they're using a mass destruction weapon.
So i guess even Ging couldn't win against him.

kirblar

Wasn't the point that there is no human on Meruem's level, no matter what?
I mean, that's exactly why they're using a mass destruction weapon.
So i guess even Ging couldn't win against him.
You'd need someone with an ability that he would have a difficult time defending against and who could withstand an assault from the King long enough to pull it off.

Potentially doable, but incredibly difficult to pull off.

I liked how in the anime, imo, they pointed out a bit more than the manga what the fight represented really:
yes, Meruem is the pinnacle of evolution of his race, all the dna evolved from cells to little insects and improved from generation to generation until his current being, but it's beaten by something that humans also improve and maintain generation to generation: technological progress. To make a nuke, you don't just need the scientific knowledge of of the twentieth century, but that knowledge is possible because the knowledge of the XIX century, whose base is the XVIII century, which comes from the XVII century... etc. He isn't "beaten by a cheap bomb": he is beaten by the collective strong point (intelligence) of the humanity and the accumulated results over millenniums. Fuck yeah humans!

What if Chrollo was able to steal Mureum's Nen? Does it only steal abilities?

Only abilities.
He, theoretically, could steal the 100-Type Buddha, but I suppose it wouldn't really work because you need a super huge base amount of nen as "fuel" to use it (and without the super speed of Netero, it wouldn't be as good).

Salih

I've noticed that it looks like he punches with his right arm but switches to his left, unless it was the other way round.
the gif starts with a right punch already thrown. it just misses the frames of the left punch thrown which basically transfered in the episode as a direct hit at the King.

shira

.gif-tribute to a simple, poor man

http://i.imgur.com/Q0jBp45.gif[/IG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/ES76egn.gif[/IG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/VOtJvV5.gif[/IG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/4eU1vQ4.gif[/IG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/1SNC3U2.gif[/IG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Hsb404u.gif[/IG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/9PZdK2M.gif[/IG][/QUOTE]
webm please, why you spamming 50mb at us?

Popnbake

I'll give you that we don't know just how powerful Ging is, but I'm pretty sure you're vastly overestimating him.

Well, he has that "among the top 5 nen user" hype.

At one point Netero was concerned about whether or not Pitou was stronger than him based
on an aura observation. He also vastly underestimated how strong the King was after provoking a fight.
It took Netero decades to master his nen ability and the King commented that he had to
reach a point of near insanity for it.

So I think it should be a given that even Ging can't match up to the King but he should still be a
capable fighter.

Hyun Sai

Also, it actually was the right arm and left leg that Netero almost wasn't using in that game, i.e. not the limbs he lost this time around.
In the picture, he is clearly not using the left arm and the right leg, those exact limbs he lost against Meruem.

Top Bottom