• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

Kieli

He never took the time to either develop them or have Pitou whip one up for him.

I don't suppose he needs them, lol. Do you consider his nen-consuming abilities a "nen ability"? That shit is so hax on top of his already broken base nen, which is probably way higher than any human.

Lulubop

So what's this about him being able to take other people's abilities? Unless they go into more detail about it later on.

Pitou realizes Meruem's ability in the episode where they first arrive at the palace and are encountered by the guards, one of which has nen.

Chapter 217 in the Manga.

Kieli

I think you guys are way over-estimating Ging's abilities.

There's no doubt Ging is the real deal and at the highest possible echelon for nen-users within the HxH universe, but my gut feeling is that he may not even be as strong as current Netero (much less prime Netero). I'm just seriously struggling to think of what kind of ability Ging would need to have to deal with 100-type Guanyin Bodhisattva.

Netero is working at a speed not even Mereum can comprehend, and Mereum is quite possibly the only individual capable of tanking those hits (much less devising a strategy to overcome it).

Edit: After thinking on it a little bit, it's conceivable that Ging could be stronger than current Netero (but definitely not prime Netero, :p). However, there's still no way he could take on Mereum. That'd defeat the entire point of this arc, which was to illustrate that physiologically speaking, the animal/insect kingdom has humans absolutely beat pound-for-pound.

Erigu

In the picture, he is clearly not using the left arm and the right leg, those exact limbs he lost against Meruem.
Yes, because that screenshot of episode 7 that was posted earlier was flipped.

In reality:
khUxgi3.jpg
Same thing in the manga.

Kieli

I don't understand your reasoning. Please explain.

The whole point of the arc, I think, is to illustrate how inferior humans are, physiologically, compared to the animal/insect kingdom. Given our size, we aren't all that strong, pound-for-pound. We'd be fucking wasted by bears, lions, gorillas, etc... Insects can lift many times their weight and such.

If you think of nen as an extension of our physiological capabilities, then it's not surprising even the mookiest of the Chimera ants were laying waste to humans and that the strongest of the ants are absolute nen beasts.

Netero had to resort to a nuke to illustrate to the king that what got us to this point of properity was not some evolution of our physical traits/fitness (like Mereum), but through our intellect and ability to make tools to suit our needs. In essence, "Science mo'fuckas!".

Given all that, if there was a human stronger than King, who represents the pinnacle of evolution of a species who was already stronger than us to begin with (if we consider pound-for-pound wise), then it'd defeat the message behind the nuke. Indeed, it'd defeat the purpose of the fight between Mereum and Netero, who has mastered nen to an exquisite level and is among the best humanity can offer.

TL;DR: Mereum thinks evolution/fitness (Darwin's interpretation) is enough to stand at the top of the food-chain. Netero says, "lol nope".

Ultimatum

Banned
The whole point of the arc, I think, is to illustrate how inferior humans are, physiologically, compared to the animal/insect kingdom. Given our size, we aren't all that strong, pound-for-pound. We'd be fucking wasted by bears, lions, gorillas, etc... Insects can lift many times their weight and such.

If you think of nen as an extension of our physiological capabilities, then it's not surprising even the mookiest of the Chimera ants were laying waste to humans and that the strongest of the ants are absolute nen beasts.

Netero had to resort to a nuke to illustrate to the king that what got us to this point of properity was not some evolution of our physical traits/fitness (like Mereum), but through our intellect and ability to make tools to suit our needs. In essence, "Science mo'fuckas!".

Given all that, if there was a human stronger than King, who represents the pinnacle of evolution of a species who was already stronger than us to begin with (if we consider pound-for-pound wise), then it'd defeat the message behind the nuke. Indeed, it'd defeat the purpose of the fight between Mereum and Netero, who has mastered nen to an exquisite level and is among the best humanity can offer.

TL;DR: Mereum thinks evolution/fitness (Darwin's interpretation) is enough to stand at the top of the food-chain. Netero says, "lol nope".

well then it's flawed because meruem is smarter than everyone too, all this interpretation says is we were here first so we have had time to develop science to sustain our lead

Kieli

Ia Ging's nen even about combat? I don't remember the anime mentioning anything about his combat prowess.

We're given no mention of what his nen abilit(ies) are. However, I think it's safe to assume he has some (combat orientated) or can use them in combat given that he's caught dangerous individuals like Razor, who is certainly no pushover.

Mumei

I think you guys are way over-estimating Ging's abilities.

There's no doubt Ging is the real deal and at the highest possible echelon for nen-users within the HxH universe, but my gut feeling is that he may not even be as strong as current Netero (much less prime Netero). I'm just seriously struggling to think of what kind of ability Ging would need to have to deal with 100-type Guanyin Bodhisattva.

I don't recall if it was mentioned in the anime, but Netero claimed that he's less than half as powerful as he was in his prime. And Biscuit mentioned Ging being among the top five Nen users, whatever that actually means in practice.

I think it's quite likely that he's stronger than Old Netero, though how he compares to Netero in his youth is another question.

Ging is in the top 5 of nen users as mentioned by Biscuit as well as the fact that Kite's nen abilities were taught by Ging.

We see how ridiculous Kite's nen powers are so Ging would be pretty up there in terms of power.

smurfx

get some go again
i think you guys are forgetting what makes hxh so great. you don't have to be physically powerful to be deadly. for all we know ging has an ability that is far more deadly than 100-type Guanyin Bodhisattva.

Jigolo

that Zero Hand webm is weak. It doesn't show Lady Guanyin holding Meruem with care.

fuck I wish I could make webms. they would run rampant in this thread if I could. in 1080p too

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
He wasn't smarter than gungi-girl. :3

Then wouldn't it follow that human potential for nen could surpass that of a beast. This is the argument of evolution we are talking about here right? Isn't it a logical fallacy to state that ant king is the strongest being on earth because he's stronger than Netero?

I don't recall if it was mentioned in the anime, but Netero claimed that he's less than half as powerful as he was in his prime. And Biscuit mentioned Ging being among the top five Nen users, whatever that actually means in practice.

I think it's quite likely that he's stronger than Old Netero, though how he compares to Netero in his youth is another question.

I think you are hitting on the most salient point which is we really don't know anything other than ant king was stronger than Netero as far as Nen goes.

Kieli

Then wouldn't it follow that human potential for nen could surpass that of a beast. This is the argument of evolution we are talking about here right? Isn't it a logical fallacy to state that ant king is the strongest being on earth because he's stronger than Netero?

Wait a second, you lost me here. I take nen as more an extension of one's "life energy". Moving aside from hippie speak, I take nen to represent (to a large extent) one's physiological strength. Insects, being much stronger than humans (p-f-p), will have a much greater quantity of nen to start with. This is illustrated by the Royal Guards and Mereum. This is a different discussion from the quality of one's nen (such as runny-nose girl, Komugi) or mastery over one's nen (i.e. Netero).

With regards to your very last sentence, that's what the Ant King wants to believe - that he stands at the top given his sheer ridiculous quantity of nen, which is a product of the evolution of his species. However, as we have seen with the end of episode 126, they have only recently gained such levels of intelligence and strength. It is, by itself, not enough to conquer humanity, who has prospered for many years due to their clever use of intellect (which is their greatest weapon).

well then it's flawed because meruem is smarter than everyone too, all this interpretation says is we were here first so we have had time to develop science to sustain our lead

That goes with the point of Netero remarking how naive the King was, Meruem had all the capabilities to be better than humans but because he was just a "child" he wrongly assumed that evolutionary superiority was centered around the strength of an individual(in his mind Netero would be the best of humanity, while Netero knows that the nuke is our true power as a species) instead of the collective working together.

There's more to this but I can't discuss it because spoilers, we should really come back to this after the arc is over.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Well, he has that "among the top 5 nen user" hype.

At one point Netero was concerned about whether or not Pitou was stronger than him based
on an aura observation. He also vastly underestimated how strong the King was after provoking a fight.
It took Netero decades to master his nen ability and the King commented that he had to
reach a point of near insanity for it.

So I think it should be a given that even Ging can't match up to the King but he should still be a
capable fighter.
That doesnt mean anything, the HXH universe and a common japanese trope is that there are prodigies, we know that ging, gon, Killua, hisoka, chrollo, etc. are prodigies and if they had the same amount of training as much and as long as Netero then they would be way passed him

Kieli

That doesnt mean anything, the HXH universe and a common japanese trope is that there are prodigies, we know that ging, gon, Killua, hisoka, chrollo, etc. are prodigies and if they had the same amount of training as much and as long as Netero then they would be way passed him

Woah, let's not get crazy here. Gon, and maybe (more likely probably) Killua, could be better than Netero after many years of training. But no way someone like Hisoka or Chrollo has such a high ceiling. They're among the strongest, but I don't think even these two will occupy the absolute top tier (i.e. top 5).

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Wait a second, you lost me here. I take nen as more an extension of one's "life energy". Moving aside from hippie speak, I take nen to represent (to a large extent) one's physiological strength. Insects, being much stronger than humans (p-f-p), will have a much greater quantity of nen to start with. This is illustrated by the Royal Guards and Mereum. This is a different discussion from the quality of one's nen (such as runny-nose girl, Komugi) or mastery over one's nen (i.e. Netero).

With regards to your very last sentence, that's what the Ant King wants to believe - that he stands at the top given his sheer ridiculous quantity of nen, which is a product of the evolution of his species. However, as we have seen with the end of episode 126, they have only recently gained such levels of intelligence and strength. It is, by itself, not enough to conquer humanity, who has prospered for many years due to their clever use of intellect (which is their greatest weapon).

Is this absolutely the case. I admit I don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of HxH but at the same time we saw that Gon when he was a child was kicking the ass of large wild beasts without any knowledge of Nen. Can we make the assumption that in that universe that strength is gated by species or that theirs other components of Nen (conscious or subconscious) that play into overall amount other than physical strength?

Kieli

Is this absolutely the case. I admit I don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of HxH but at the same time we saw that Gon when he was a child was kicking the ass of large wild beasts without any knowledge of Nen. Can we make the assumption that in that universe that strength is gated by species or that theirs other components of Nen (conscious or subconscious) that play into overall amount other than physical strength?

Forgot about that. Welp.

foxuzamaki

Woah, let's not get crazy here. Gon, and maybe (more likely probably) Killua, could be better than Netero after many years of training. But no way someone like Hisoka or Chrollo has such a high ceiling. They're among the strongest, but I don't think even these two will occupy the absolute top tier (i.e. top 5).
you caught me, I was throwing a bone to hisoka and chrollo though they're built up to be better than average nen users, especially chrollo who has a special ability and gave old man Z a run for his money, if only slightly.

Jigolo

Narrowing down the top 5 nen users in the HxH universe up to my knowledge is pretty simple. Haven't read the manga but I'm pretty sure 2 possibly 3 spots are filled so far just from the anime.

Ging

Top floor master

possibly number 2 floor master

Whether to place Meruem in the top 5 or not, I would certainly put him there according to all we've been shown so far. Again, whether he's #4 or #1 strongest, who the hell knows? But I do think Ging is more powerful than Oldman Netero. I think he'd be more a challenge to the King than Netero was. As where prime Netero ranks amongst all this, I'd probably place him at #1

The actual rules of the HxH universe does not make it impossible for a human to become stronger than the King, what I'm saying is that a human being stronger than the King would undermine the fight he had with Netero and the conflict between the two species.

foxuzamaki

I believe Netero fought the king because he was one of a few hunters available in a short amount of time , hunters can do whatever the hell they want so he probably wouldnt be able to get hunters like ging and bisquit without going out looking for them which would take time which they did not have.

Kieli

Ging

Top floor master

possibly number 2 floor master

I know Togashi is probably never going to revisit the tower again, but I really want to see these floor masters (at least, the top ones). I forget, but did one automatically become a floor master by winning 10 times on floor 200, or did you need to challenge and win?

Also, I don't think they'll be in the top 5 because I can't see the top-tier confining themselves to such a restricted setting given the world that they live in. I envision them as more at the level where they'll give people like Hisoka and the Spiders a run for their money (though if I had to bet, I would take the latter).

Edit: Biscuit being so strong seems kinda wrong to me. Lmao. I mean, I can buy that she's mastered her Nen given how old she is and will be a force to be reckoned with. But her only Nen ability shown so far is a massager. Meh, I'll have to disagree with Togashi on this one.

Jigolo

The actual rules of the HxH universe does not make impossible for a human to become stronger than the King, what I'm saying is that a human being stronger than the King would undermine the fight he had with Netero and the conflict between the two species.

Nvm. I understood what you said.

EDIT:mad: above if you win 10 times at floors in the 200s you get to challenge a floor master starting at floor 230

The actual rules of the HxH universe does not make impossible for a human to become stronger than the King, what I'm saying is that a human being stronger than the King would undermine the fight he had with Netero and the conflict between the two species.

Pretty much. There is a decent chance one of the top Nen users could of taken down the King if they were sent instead of Netero (who is 50 years past his prime). But as you said would of made all the themes and issues about the Ant's nature and raw power almost pointless.

"does not make impossible"? You're kind of contradicting yourself or maybe I am misunderstanding.

Let me get this straight. You are saying that according to the HxH universe nobody should be stronger than the King, right? Why do you say that? Are you under the assumption that the Hunter Organization would've hired the strongest Hunter for the job?

If that is the case what makes you think anyone wants to work for them. I think Netero was the best they had under their belt.

Did you not see the 2nd part of my post?

I said a human being stronger than the King would undermine the themes of the fight between Meruem and King.

The rules of the universe allows for a human to be stronger than the King, the themes of that fight means that it shouldn't ever happen.

Lulubop

Pretty much. There is a decent chance one of the top Nen users could of taken down the King if they were sent instead of Netero (who is 50 years past his prime). But as you said would of made all the themes and issues about the Ant's nature and raw power almost pointless.

Yep, pretty much.

As for Biscuit's list I can only think of three characters who are a lock for it.

Kieli

Nvm. I understood what you said.

EDIT:mad: above if you win 10 times at floors in the 200s you get to challenge a floor master starting at floor 230

Ok, I may have underestimated them. I was working under the assumption that you automatically became the lowest tier floor master (not sure why; that would necessitate bump all the existing ones up).

rexor0717

I'm all down for power rankings, but after Gon beasts on Pitou, he better also beast on the king. These two things will elevate this arc to greatness.

Top Bottom