• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

Kieli

Did Biscuit say top 5 Nen users or Nen fighters? There is a difference.

It's a fair distinction. But I wouldn't be surprised if the top 5 Nen users also happened to be the top 5 fighters.

As cool as the ability that fortune-telling girl has, I don't think Biscuit would have even considered people like her when mentioning "top 5 Nen users", for example.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Meh. Gon'll get his shit stomped in. Kid is way in over his head...
yeah, cant see him doing anything to pitou, he might suprise her once or twice but while I love his characterization this arc, it ultimately means shit

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
What risk? I think Rexor is way-way-way overestimating Gon right now. I wouldn't be surprised if he needed to get bailed by Killua's Godspeed.
I don't actually know myself but I feel like the King didn't die from that explosion so I'm so hyper sensitive about having it spoiled that I put my own statement in spoilers :(

I don't actually know myself but I feel like the King didn't die from that explosion so I'm so hyper sensitive about having it spoiled that I put my own statement in spoilers :(

The best way to go about watching a anime that you haven't read the source material for is, to assume anything anyone ever says about the shows future events is bullshit until proven correct.

Kieli

yeah, cant see him doing anything to pitou, he might suprise her once or twice but while I love his characterization this arc, it ultimately means shit

Yep.

-----------------------

Pitou is so tense because she understands the strength of Gon's conviction. He is not joking around right now. It's certainly not because he's suddenly mega-strong, or anything.

As far as she knows, he would not hesitate to kill Komugi the instant he suspects anything of her. Obviously, we know Gon wouldn't do that, but she doesn't.

Fake edit: Currently, I think Gon and Killua are just strong enough that they are not a liability with regards to the mission. That being said, I still see Knuckle and Shoot as being where Gon and Killua will be in a few years time (2, 3?).

Popnbake

Edit: Biscuit being so strong seems kinda wrong to me. Lmao. I mean, I can buy that she's mastered her Nen given how old she is and will be a force to be reckoned with. But her only Nen ability shown so far is a massager. Meh, I'll have to disagree with Togashi on this one.

That's a confusing thing for me as well.

Then again...

HxH-72.png

22586727_192x318.jpeg

Have we seen her activate the massager nen while being in her true form?
There could be something more to the ability.

That doesnt mean anything, the HXH universe and a common japanese trope is that there are prodigies, we know that ging, gon, Killua, hisoka, chrollo, etc. are prodigies and if they had the same amount of training as much and as long as Netero then they would be way passed him

Yes, they have potential to surpass them with the same amount of training but as of now they can't compare to the King.

Kieli

Have we seen her activate the massager nen while being in her true form?

That would be terrifying.

Yes, they have potential to surpass them with the same amount of training but as of now they can't compare to the King.

I'm not so sure I agree with this. In the HxH world, it's never so easy as "x" amount of training leads to "y" increase in ability. Not everyone has limitless potential like Gon and Killua (so I'll have to rescind my previous statement; he's gonna surpass Netero too). I see people like Chrollo and Hisoka beginning to near the limits of their potential (wherein further increases in combat ability can be attributed to experience, much like Knuckle). They'll definitely feel the effects of dimishing returns sooner than our young 'uns.

FluxWaveZ

I feel like there's no one who was part of the invasion team who would take Netero's death particularly hard. Not even Killua's grandad would, and that's who he seemed closest to.

Kieli

I feel like there's no one who was part of the invasion team who would take Netero's death particularly hard. Not even Killua's grandad would, and that's who he seemed closest to.

Hrmm. Morel and Knov seemed to both highly respect Netero. I think they'll be sad too, assuming they survive and find out.

kirblar

Given his age and role in the mission, it's not the type of death where any great deal of mourning would be appropriate.

hipbabboom

Fox holes aren't the only types of holes to get filled when in the trenches... you know what I'm saying. Yo boi was tight with homie... you know what I mean? He heat of the battle makes you closer than family since you have the DEEPEST bonds with people you expose your life to. Every guy on that team will be crushed knowing they'll never have Netero again.

DTL can back me up on this.

Kieli

Given his age and role in the mission, it's not the type of death where any great deal of mourning would be appropriate.

Do most people/hunters even know he's on a mission? I thought it was supposed to be a highly secretive mission conducted by a fireteam (~4 people). Any more, and they'll risk sending nen fodder to upgrade the ants.

It's a fair distinction. But I wouldn't be surprised if the top 5 Nen users also happened to be the top 5 fighters.

As cool as the ability that fortune-telling girl has, I don't think Biscuit would have even considered people like her when mentioning "top 5 Nen users", for example.

It's a possibility that Biscuit was thinking about fighters. Although we see those who use nen for fighting there are those who use them to tell fortunes, as you mentioned, or to appraise items, or something entirely else. In that regard, it is entirely possible that the list could be populated someone who is not a fighter at all.

He wasn't smarter than gungi-girl. :3

I'm not sure if they talked about this yet, but Komugi isn't smart

Her Gungi skills stem from a Nen ability. She's considered a Nen "genius" because she can use Nen without having any formal training, like Neon Nostrade from the YorkNew arc, or Zepile

Kieli

It's a possibility that Biscuit was thinking about fighters. Although we see those who use nen for fighting there are those who use them to tell fortunes, as you mentioned, or to appraise items, or something entirely else. In that regard, it is entirely possible that the list could be populated someone who is not a fighter at all.

You know, after thinking about it a bit more, I'm a bit more sure that Biscuit was probably referring to top 5 Nen fighters (it's just that Nen fighters sounds kind of weird).

If only because Hisoka's Nen abilities are so far removed from combat, but no one would argue he's fodder.

And also because an important part of Nen is simply just augmenting your physical capabilities to superhuman levels (aside from Nen abilities, obviously).

But yeah, I'm not disagreeing with you though. It's very possible for a non-fighter to be in the list simply because they are ridonk.

Kieli

Her Gungi skills stem from a Nen ability. She's considered a Nen "genius" because she can use Nen without having any formal training, like Neon Nostrade from the YorkNew arc, or Zepile

Agreed. I was just being silly because I didn't really know how to counter his argument.

You know, after thinking about it a bit more, I'm a bit more sure that Biscuit was probably referring to top 5 Nen fighters (it's just that Nen fighters sounds kind of weird).

If only because Hisoka's Nen abilities are so far removed from combat, but no one would argue he's fodder.

And also because an important part of Nen is simply just augmenting your physical capabilities to superhuman levels (aside from Nen abilities, obviously).

But yeah, I'm not disagreeing with you though. It's very possible for a non-fighter to be in the list simply because they are ridonk.
We're on the same level. I think Biscuit was talking about fighters as well

Hyun Sai

I'm not so sure I agree with this. In the HxH world, it's never so easy as "x" amount of training leads to "y" increase in ability. Not everyone has limitless potential like Gon and Killua (so I'll have to rescind my previous statement; he's gonna surpass Netero too). I see people like Chrollo and Hisoka beginning to near the limits of their potential (wherein further increases in combat ability can be attributed to experience, much like Knuckle). They'll definitely feel the effects of dimishing returns sooner than our young 'uns.

I disagree. Netero felt he reached the limits of his potential around age 40. We all see what he did after that.

rexor0717

Hmmmm.... I guess that's the risk of posting on this thread ;_;

What, do you not think they are building to having Gon not kick some kind of ass? It would be super anti climactic for him to get scraped across the ground yet again. Although, I have no idea how he'd beat the king, but someone's gotta do it.

Also, I haven't seen the latest episode, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Fairly sure she was beasting the King before her nen was awoken,,though he would probably have eventually beat her had it not.

hipbabboom

Fairly sure she was beasting the King before her nen was awoken,,though he would probably have eventually beat her had it not.

I don't think the king would have beat her by overtaking her in skill but maybe by just sheer attrition that would put her into a weakened physical state. This is something the kings pride would never allow. As far as the mental gap, the king is a genius but he's not a savant which is what I would liken her to. The king can learn to do things really fast to the point that we don't know his limit but he probably has one like all geniuses do but savants are hard-wired to work a certain way that defy the way the brain typically works. This is hinted at by the way the illustrated how she visualizes moves. Keep this in mind.

Now remember when (ep 104-105) the king had the genius epiphany of how to beat her only to find out she experienced that 10 years prior. She didn't come up with it while playing others but rather thought it up by herself and then immediately found its weakness. That's how strong her skills are. To put it into perspective, skill wise, he was as strong as the king is 10 years ago without the benefit of playing any strong players. The king 10 years later is only as strong as she was long ago because he had the benefit of playing someone as strong as her. The king needs her to become stronger but she doesn't need him so the gulf of their skill can only grow wider based on those fact.

Remember what I said about savants, their brain can work like solvers so imagine a calculator in your head that was capable of handling numbers with 25000 significant figures versus a real life calculator that can handle maybe 11. Savants like this exist in real life and they just see the world differently than people who use logic, memory and other standard mental faculties to find answers. I believe the author based her on the characteristics of a savant and you'd have to imagine if nen had something to do with her already abnormal abilities, even insane intellect like the kings would probably have to bow out to her.

Philippo

Seeing as Netero was already prepared to die during the fight, he could have placed some crazy condition on himself to power up his nen.
But then again he could only do so little damage even with his full aura that probably even a 2x power up wouldn't even change anything.

So i basically set up a point and countered it myself, whatever.

As soon as that episode started the way it did with the jumping between scenes, I knew it was going to be something special.

There is just so much stuff in this fight.. I mean, the King represents ultimate Nen power and Netero couldn't really harm him with regular attacks - and all this time we are believing that the Ant King is the strongest being on earth; a monster that can't feel pain or can't be harmed.

There are so many animes where characters with uber strength can't be damaged by anything and we have been conditioned to believe this fact by dozens of other mangas and shounen stories when the reality is that humans already created technology capable of wiping out entire landscapes in mere milliseconds. All this time the Ant King thought this was a one-vs-one fight with fists and power, that he can rule the world with his incredible physical strength; a illusion he unconsciously created for himself since he doesn't know anything of the world or humans and how far these have already advanced. There is a much bigger power than physical strength, and it was created by humans themselves.

Netero always respected the power of the King, but the fight was already decided from the beginning. He knew that there is something more dangerous than Nen or martial arts, and keeps looking down at the Ant King; to him, that King is nothing more than a mere peasant, a little child with no real knowledge.

That short moment of fear that the Ant King felt was a wake-up call: there is something worse and more cruel than Chimera Ants, and that's humanity.

And the fact that the bomb used was being called 'Rose' and used by 'dictators of small countries' was the almost best thing in the entire episode to me; that message in this information is just soooo huge, I could write another paragraph about it

Togashi is a amazing guy

Thank you for this, what an amazing post to sum up the ending.

I don't recall if it was mentioned in the anime, but Netero claimed that he's less than half as powerful as he was in his prime. And Biscuit mentioned Ging being among the top five Nen users, whatever that actually means in practice.

I think it's quite likely that he's stronger than Old Netero, though how he compares to Netero in his youth is another question.

There is no evidence for it, but my impression was always was that yeah, Netero was even stronger in the past when he was at his prime, but even then, the actual Netero was still the number 1 Nen user in the world.

remz

Seeing as Netero was already prepared to die during the fight, he could have placed some crazy condition on himself to power up his nen.
But then again he could only do so little damage even with his full aura that probably even a 2x power up wouldn't even change anything.

So i basically set up a point and countered it myself, whatever.

His Nen ability already has a crazy condition set on it- he has to pray before every strike.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Yeah, he HAS to pray. Just helps that whenever he prays time compresses, lol.

I think it's more like... he's done the motion so many times, that he can perform it at light speed, which ends up "feeling" like time compression, when in reality it's SUPER FREAKING FAST.

hipbabboom

I think it's more like... he's done the motion so many times, that he can perform it at light speed, which ends up "feeling" like time compression, when in reality it's SUPER FREAKING FAST.

So its a little different than Kirula's electric response ability that allows him to react reflexively really fast in set patterns. Netero's bound his attack ability to an action, kind of like a condition for his nen beast to attack which is the specific movement formed by praying but he used the unnatural but non-nen ability of fast movement through repetition to make the attack unbelievably fast. Correct?

Yonafunu

There's nothing 'special' about Netero's prayer. It's just a motion that has crept into his style through repetition. Because he has done it so often, he's able to do it extremely fast, at speeds so fast it appears time is being compressed. It has nothing to do with his Nen, it's not a condition. It's just a habit.

There's nothing 'special' about Netero's prayer. It's just a motion that has crept into his style through repetition. Because he has done it so often, he's able to do it extremely fast, at speeds so fast it appears time is being compressed. It has nothing to do with his Nen, it's not a condition. It's just a habit.

It's just part of his spirituality; he's enlightened. It's sign of gratitude.

Top Bottom