• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

Somebody's gotta photoshop Netero's face on here.
pic_164.jpg

He sure did a number on that bug.

Everyone better recognize just how tough the King was that he didn't get completely disintegrated despite being at the epicenter of a nuke.

Soriku

Imho Fate Zero is better than Hunter x Hunter. And INFINITELY better than Attack on Titan. And I love both shows. Just be ready for a boring first episode since they have to info dump a lot of stuff on you because there are established rules to the war you need to know. If you have more questions over the show, be sure to drop by the Seasonal Anime OT. We can give you more info and answer all of your questions.

Yeah the first episode isn't very good and it's also 40 minutes long. But after that it gets way better and I do like it better than HxH. It's definitely in my top 5 animes, whatever they are lol.

Popnbake

Well, yeah, but I think he would try to go through with it before someone stopped him and brought him back to his senses

Knuckles knew that taking a hostage wasn't the right thing to do but he kept silent about mentioning anything that would change Gon's state of mind.

Similar to earlier when he didn't tell Gon about Youpi sparing his life due to fear of Pitou taking advantage of the moment.

With Pitou noticing how easy it would be to take Gon's head by moving towards him, any changes in his behavior could be costly.

Yeah the first episode isn't very good and it's also 40 minutes long. But after that it gets way better and I do like it better than HxH. It's definitely in my top 5 animes, whatever they are lol.

DvZ117q.gif

you know who has great taste?

he...he's pointing at you

either ways we've derailed the thread bad enough lol. Another topic of discussion for HxH.

How much more do I have to wait for Gon fight? Please. i need it in my blood.

Blades64

Banned
This episode was great as usual.

Gon's interaction with Pitou is just awesome right now. Serious Gon ain't taking crap from nobody. Even Komugi (yay, she's back) aint safe.

Seeing the King not disintegrated shows how powerful this dude is. Crazy!

Also, side stepping to recommend Fate/Zero as well. Short but sweet anime. The animation and style was just awesome to me. :)

Everyone better recognize just how tough the King was that he didn't get completely disintegrated despite being at the epicenter of a nuke.

I'm noticing a lot of people talk about the Rose being nuclear. I went back and read the manga chapters and after watching today's episode there was still no mention of any nuclear capabilities. That being said, the bomb may still be nuclear, and even if it's not it's still pretty impressive not to be incinerated completely after being hit point blank by an explosion that size.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Gon and the Humans ARE the bad guys. That's really the point of this arc with all the biological weapons and the nukes and whatnot.

Yeaaah, no. If anyone catches themselves thinking this, go back and rewatch the first part of this arc. Humans are acting in defense and have been this entire time. Now all of a sudden people started liking the ants and forgetting what they've done and "boo hoo, those humans are such meanies!"

I hope Gon rips Pitou's head off and spits down her throat.

Soriku

The nuke was just to show that humans and ants can be alike. Neither is necessarily better than the other.

The ants have killed a lot of people, but as the episode showed, the nukes have already killed millions and countries still want to use them.

The humans don't really have the luxury of killing the ants and maintaining any degree of idealism. And the ants are acting on the basis of a kind of biological imperative. Both sides can be grey, starkly immoral, sympathetic, etc. I think it's pretty strange to consider the humans as villainous in this particular conflict though when you consider the kind of threat they're responding to.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
WOOOO HOOOO! King
got legit shooked charred
!

EDIT: Dat scream!
Them tears! Someone needs edit Cartman licking the tears :lol This is sooo good! Cry MOAR!

EDIT 2: Watched that scene like 7 times. I don't think I've ever enjoyed this sort of scene in anime so much <3 SOO GOOD!

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
The humans don't really have the luxury of killing the ants and maintaining any degree of idealism. And the ants are acting on the basis of a kind of biological imperative. Both sides can be grey, starkly immoral, sympathetic, etc. I think it's pretty strange to consider the humans as villainous in this particular conflict though when you consider the kind of threat they're responding to.

I don't think anyone is acting immorally at all. Ants exist for humans to kill and we exist as a food source to them. Why you wanna make it sound like its wrong? Why you hate'in?

FluxWaveZ

You kidding? That's like the number one M.O. of every grey main character in anime.

I guess I haven't seen enough of them, because I really can't recall seeing a normally "good guy protag" who would straight up kill an innocent person to achieve his/her goals. I think there might have been a few occasions where the protagonist made a threat in a sly and not serious (to the antagonist) manner like Joseph in Jojo's part 2, but none resembling what Gon did.

If you guys want morally grey characters, there are plenty in anime. Just few shonen anime where it's the lead character.

If you play video games, perfect example is Witcher series.

This is the arc that really really showed that Gon wasn't your typical Goku/Naruto esque idiot hero.

Seeing a character like Gon threaten to kill an innocent was
whewobama6wsmk.png

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Decent episode this week. Gon's cold side really shows you how serious he is in making Pitou keep his promise. Pouf's evil stare was creepy as well and shows you he is the most corrupt and loyal one out of the entire royal guard. You'd think it would be Yuppi or Pitou, but no. It's him and it's great.

Next week's episode is going to be funny to read the reactions on here!!

Daingurse

The nuke was just to show that humans and ants can be alike. Neither is necessarily better than the other.

The ants have killed a lot of people, but as the episode showed, the nukes have already killed millions and countries still want to use them.

Yeah, the nuke shows humanity's capacity for cruelty. I don't even see the Chimera Ants as evil, they just have goals that impact the very survival of the human race. Hell the only evil I see in the ants, comes from their human characteristics. The Chimera Ants are a product of nature and evolution. I don't see nature as malevolent, but it can absolutely be brutal and cruel all the same.

Chimera Ants are the enemy, but they're not plain bad/evil/etc . . . which is what makes things a hell of a lot more interesting from a story perspective.

Also helps that Gon is not a normal Shonen protag, and has the same shades of gray, that makes this arc all the more interesting.

Mortemis

Banned
Good episode, I didn't expect much since it's an aftermath episode but I still enjoyed it. Gon is great, I love that he's not all good and friendship and all that shit most shounen protags are. Seeing Pitou cower over how cold Gon is, I can't help but like this Gon.

Oh, not sure what Gon would do in that case.

But to outright killer her? Can't see him doing that regardless of Pitou escaping.
In this state, I can see him doing it, but Killua or someone would stop him before it happens

If you guys want morally grey characters, there are plenty in anime. Just few shonen anime where it's the lead character.
Exactly why I said shonen protagonist. I can barely think of any who
would threaten to kill an innocent and possibly go through with it

Chimera Ants are the enemy, but they're not plain bad/evil/etc . . . which is what makes things a hell of a lot more interesting from a story perspective.
It's their biological nature to be like this. They're not twirling their mustaches or kidnapping, but they are an existential threat to all of humanity. They are something akin to alien invaders in War of the Worlds or ID4 or like the primates in Planet of the Apes. They are actual contenders for dominance over the planet and doesn't sit right with the protags (though Knuckle would like a peaceful solution to it all).

shira

Good episode, I didn't expect much since it's an aftermath episode but I still enjoyed it. Gon is great, I love that he's not all good and friendship and all that shit most shounen protags are. Seeing Pitou cower over how cold Gon is, I can't help but like this Gon.

Yeah we already got the climax, I feel like I'm done with this arc.

Daingurse

I'm actually struggling to come up with some myself, besides Gon. I don't think I've read a single Shounen series personally, that would have a protagonist do that. I only just started reading JoJo Pt. V, and I could maybe see Giorno threatening such a thing, but actually going through with it? An innocent life? I'm drawing blanks, but Gon does not give a fuck. Not a single one.

FluxWaveZ

Yeah, that's what I meant as well. Does anyone actually have any examples of this happening outside of HxH? It's pretty remarkable since it's apparently at least pretty rare.

FluxWaveZ

Death Note? ;þ

That's the first protag that would come to mind when one thinks of "villain protagonists" in anime, but no way does Kira fit the same mould Gon does. At least initially, Gon's pretty much the typical, impulsive shounen protagonist, and I feel that the transformation he goes through in this arc is another of HxH's various, smart trope subversions.

Is FZ similar to FSN ( i knew that its a prequel), because i didnt like FSN after watching more than half the episodes.

Fate Zero is the prequel to FSN. But no. They're only similar in the fact it takes place in the same universe and one is a direct prequel. Fate Zero is a dark and moody seinen action with great adult characters fighting a war against each other. Fate Stay Night is a grimdark harem anime and cheesy as shit, it doesn't even compare.

FSN is to Fate Zero, quality wise, what Batman and Robin (the movie) is to the Dark Knight trilogy. Plus the FSN anime is crap because even if the source material isn't all that good compared to Fate Zero, it's way better than the Fate Stay Night anime.

In fact Fate Zero was such a huge success that the studio who did it is now making a reimagining of Fate Stay Night that'll be infinitely better. It starts airing this fall. So yes, way better. Fate Zero is in my top 5 if not top 3 anime. Fate Stay Night wouldn't even crack my top 200.
------------------------------------------
back on HxH topic, the way some of you are discussing Gon's change, you assume this'll be permanent. I think it'll go away once this arc ends. Assuming Kite's situation gets a resolution.

Mortemis

Banned
Is FZ similar to FSN ( i knew that its a prequel), because i didnt like FSN after watching more than half the episodes.

Depends by what you mean by similar. If you don't like the premise behind the whole thing (the holy grail war) and things like that then I doubt you'll enjoy FZ. If you mean things like animation and overall enjoyment FZ has it really beat. F/SN anime is known as shit to most of the fanbase, but F/Z has top tier animation, and pretty good direction and writing, good enough for me to really enjoy. Don't let shitty ass F/SN stop you from watching F/Z. Luckily there's a remake for fsn made by the same people that made fz coming out later this year.

Edit: Admiral beat me to most of the stuff but yeah let's take this convo to the anime ot since it's off-topic.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Something doesnt look right(referring to the very end of the episode)
did he get like burnt so fast he turned into rock or something?

Daingurse

Wow this episode was pretty good. I only read the manga like last week, and I can say I enjoyed this more than I did in the manga (and I REALLY enjoyed that).

Also Gon is coming across like a fucking cut-throat. I told yall he would not play.

Yeah, that's what I meant as well. Does anyone actually have any examples of this happening outside of HxH? It's pretty remarkable since it's apparently at least pretty rare.

Akame ga Kill and Code:Breaker come to mind. There's probably a bunch of others that I can't think of off the top of my head.

upandaway

Just watched it. Not surprised that it was amazing again! I love the way they moved scenes around, much better.

This episode is pretty much the conclusion of the theme of the arc about who's the humans and who's the ants. It's been going ever since the King started playing with Komugi and we're now all the way in. With Komugi's blindness, from her perspective there's absolutely no difference to her between ants and humans.

Q8D3vil

Fate Zero is the prequel to FSN. But no. They're only similar in the fact it takes place in the same universe and one is a direct prequel. Fate Zero is a dark and moody seinen action with great adult characters fighting a war against each other. Fate Stay Night is a grimdark harem anime and cheesy as shit, it doesn't even compare.

FSN is to Fate Zero, quality wise, what Batman and Robin (the movie) is to the Dark Knight trilogy. Plus the FSN anime is crap because even if the source material isn't all that good compared to Fate Zero, it's way better than the Fate Stay Night anime.

In fact Fate Zero was such a huge success that the studio who did it is now making a reimagining of Fate Stay Night that'll be infinitely better. It starts airing this fall. So yes, way better. Fate Zero is in my top 5 if not top 3 anime. Fate Stay Night wouldn't even crack my top 200.
------------------------------------------
back on HxH topic, the way some of you are discussing Gon's change, you assume this'll be permanent. I think it'll go away once this arc ends. Assuming Kite's situation gets a resolution.
FSN main character is one of the worst character i have ever seen, FZ seems to be much better.
Will start watching later today, thnx

Blades64

Banned
FSN main character is one of the worst character i have ever seen, FZ seems to be much better.
Will start watching later today, thnx

First episode isn't all that good (lots of information dump), but after that it hits the ground running. Excellent anime.

daniels

Would be awesome if the king had survived but is now in a crippled state and wheelchair bound.
He loses all his arrogancy, becomes more down to earth/humble and komugi takes care for him and they live their days laughing and playing gungi :3

Top Bottom