• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

FluxWaveZ

I thought the question was are they capable of it, which they most definitely are if it were to help Night Raid's cause. Doesn't mean they wouldn't feel bad about it though.

No, that's not what I'm talking about. Protagonists like Spike from Cowboy Bebop or Mugen from Samurai Champloo could probably sacrifice an innocent person if it came down to it. I mean one that has straight up threatened to, and who obviously would feel no remorse in doing so in the moment.

No, that's not what I'm talking about. Protagonists like Spike from Cowboy Bebop or Mugen from Samurai Champloo could probably sacrifice an innocent person if it came down to it. I mean one that has straight up threatened to, and who obviously would feel no remorse in doing so in the moment.

Well, it still kind of counts since there's two groups given the sympathetic point of view, despite one of them being pretty villainous while the other being anti-heroish.

FluxWaveZ

Well, it still kind of counts since there's two groups given the sympathetic point of view, despite one of them being pretty villainous while the other being anti-heroish.

I'm not familiar with your example, but are they the main protagonist in this case? I can think of several anime where a character other than the main character, who is supposed to be ''good'', sacrifices an innocent or threatens to.

Looking at TV Tropes, what I mean is basically ''Heroic Safe Mode'', except pushed to such an extent that the hero in question is willing to disregard their own previously established moral compass entirely to seek vengeance.

Philippo

Youpi and Pouf deserve an adaptation for next E3, can't wait for eventual total freakout next episode.

And man, Gon's transformation is so compelling to watch.

I'm not familiar with your example, but are they the main protagonist in this case? I can think of several anime where a character other than the main character, who is supposed to be ''good'', sacrifices an innocent or threatens to.

Well, it's kind of hard to pin down a MAIN main character. Technically the dude in the beginning is the main, but many members of the group he joins get an equal amount of screentime, while the titular character has a lot less screentime than she probably should. There are a few people in said group that would kill an innocent pretty easily if it jeopardized their operation (they almost killed the main character in the very beginning for that reason), while an opposing group that's also given a ton of screentime do it on a near daily basis.

Only recently have a straight up evil group been introduced that rape and kill people with no remorse, making the other two groups which are still populated by killers look good.

FluxWaveZ

Only recently have a straight up evil group been introduced that rape and kill people with no remorse, making the other two groups which are still populated by killers look good.

Yeah, I won't count it since I think the fact that it's really a main character, in Gon's case, is very important.

Attack on Titan anime spoilers:
Even Eren, who is absolutely obsessed about the destruction of Titans, is unable to kill Annie when it comes down to it because of "feelings".
This always seems to be the case with these main characters, and it's very refreshing to see things handled differently.

Jex

Now I'm caught up.

This arc has had shit pacing. Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

I've still greatly enjoyed the series overall but man, so much wasted time. Ugh.

Popnbake

Remember when Gon used to be so terrified of Hisoka? lulz. Dude would probably scoff at the mention of his name after this ordeal.

For some reason, I doubt it.

wDIC9rM.gif

Daingurse

Gon is definitely "ripe" enough at this point for Hisoka. Hmmm, that would be a good fight. Gon has enough raw power to kill him now, but Hisoka did think he could take Chrollo . . .

I think this current Gon would absolutely make Hisoka cum in his pants though, that much I do know.

Jex

I don't agree at all. So much has happened.
I'm not talking about density of content. I'm talking about pacing.

Much of what has happened not interesting e.g. battles between random scrubs that I don't give two hoots about (although obviously that subject to interpretation) but it could have been done in half the time.

I know when a show is dragging it's heels and numerous times throughout this arc the show has been padding like crazy, using every filler technique in the book right down cuts lasting noticeably longer than they needed to.
It's got that shonen thing where nearly every shot lasts five seconds longer than it should.

Right but it wasn't doing that earlier, and it's managed to avoid doing that for a long time.

That corpse looked funny. At first I thought it was Netero (missing arm) but I guess the face kind of looks like the King's? Not a lot happened this episode but it was awesome because Gon. It's nice to see a non-pussy shonen protagonist for once. It's even nicer to see that he's smart. There's no "Why are you trusting Pitou, Gon? She's lying!!" moments since Gon knows what he is doing. He even takes into account things I never thought of like Pitou taking Killua as a hostage. What a badass. Hisoka would be schwinging so hard right now.

LuffyZoro

That corpse looked funny. At first I thought it was Netero (missing arm) but I guess the face kind of looks like the King's? Not a lot happened this episode but it was awesome because Gon. It's nice to see a non-pussy shonen protagonist for once. It's even nicer to see that he's smart. There's no "Why are you trusting Pitou, Gon? She's lying!!" moments since Gon knows what he is doing. He even takes into account things I never thought of like Pitou taking Killua as a hostage. What a badass. Hisoka would be schwinging so hard right now.

That's what I thought too. Couldn't get a good look at it.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
My God.

That final scene was freaking... Scary, in a way. I honestly don't know how I feel about it. Kinda... Bad. But it's too good.

This series, man. I fucking hate that I dropped it all those years ago in the original adaptation because I thought the Hunter Exam arc was boring.

Edit: Uh oh. Just ran into some spoilers while searching for a wallpaper.

Lawd.

Pluto

I've never read or seen Hunter x Hunter but I assume it's good because I noticed people being excited about the manga being continued, I like other shounen stuff like Dragonball and One Piece so I want to check HxH out.

If I watch the current anime I get the full story, right? I don't have to watch the previous anime or any of the OVAs? What about filler arcs, are there parts of the new anime I should skip? Sorry if this was already answered in this thread but I don't want to read too much because of spoilers.

I've never read or seen Hunter x Hunter but I assume it's good because I noticed people being excited about the manga being continued, I like other shounen stuff like Dragonball and One Piece so I want to check HxH out.

If I watch the current anime I get the full story, right? I don't have to watch the previous anime or any of the OVAs? What about filler arcs, are there parts of the new anime I should skip?

Yeah, this is a remake. You don't need to watch the old one at all, though it did do a few things better. I'd still call this the definitive anime since it covers more of the manga.

Einhander

Much of what has happened not interesting e.g. battles between random scrubs that I don't give two hoots about (although obviously that subject to interpretation) but it could have been done in half the time.

I know when a show is dragging it's heels and numerous times throughout this arc the show has been padding like crazy, using every filler technique in the book right down cuts lasting noticeably longer than they needed to.

I disagree with that. The fact that they're showing fights between minor characters is nice because for once, it isn't always a show highlighting all the fights that involve the main characters and just that. The filler was intentional in this arc showing what everyone was doing at the same exact moment, because events were unfolding quickly.

I was not expecting Gon to take a hostage!

Kinda glad he did otherwise it wouldn't have made sense for Pitou to do what Gon tells him to.

Right but it wasn't doing that earlier, and it's managed to avoid doing that for a long time.

Yeah this was my complaint. People think that content=pacing but it's not always the case, this being one of them.

And yeah it's largely part to me not caring about what the side characters are doing. It doesn't necessarily have to focus on Gon and Killua, but I didn't care for 60% of the fights so far.

jgminto

If I had to rank my interest in all of the events so far in the palace it would be...

1. Netero vs Meruem
2. Gon vs Pitou standoff
3. Killua's confrontation with Palm
4. Knuckle and Shoot vs Youpi
5. Ikalgo's misadventures
6. Morel vs Pouf

Morel vs Pouf was definitely the worst part of this final encounter. It totally sucked the excitement out when it would cut to Morel standing in a dome of smoke while Pouf was in his cocoon. I guess there was some other pointless stuff too, such as the government guy. I don't know why anyone would care about what he's doing.

Yeah this was my complaint. People think that content=pacing but it's not always the case, this being one of them.

And yeah it's largely part to me not caring about what the side characters are doing. It doesn't necessarily have to focus on Gon and Killua, but I didn't care for 60% of the fights so far.

Then you aren't complaining about the pacing, you are complaining of not like several characters and their plot threads.

Kenai

The image of Netero's toothless smile before he goes down, I think I'll remember that for the rest of my life.

Seriously.

Out of all the gruesome and horrible scenes from this arc (and there's been some reall bad ones, Pitou picking at Pokkle's brain made me wince), that one with his jet-black mouth and eyes was a cut above everything else. Downright terrifying.

This is an interesting comparison. How so?

The insects aren't exactly evil are they? They just believe that they are at the top of the food chain, as shown from Meruem's constant passing remarks of letting some humans live.

It is just in their nature to do so. In fact the insects; especially the king and his Royal Guards were shown in a somewhat sympathetic light after the dragons fell down from the sky. In fact it's the humans who are seem to be acting more like villains; Gon and Netero as an example.

It just reminds me of the Cuckoo in that Sandman arc, who was painted as a villain, but Morpheus refused to punish him because what the Cuckoo was doing was simply in his nature.

PranooY

Exactly why I said shonen protagonist. I can barely think of any who
would threaten to kill an innocent and possibly go through with it

You are right.
Code Geass and Death Note has really rash protags, but they are seinen anime.

This is the arc that really really showed that Gon wasn't your typical Goku/Naruto esque idiot hero.

Seeing a character like Gon threaten to kill an innocent was
whewobama6wsmk.png

It was awesome...
Really great episode too..

You are right.
Code Geass and Death Note has really rash protags, but are seinen anime.

Togashi plays so much with the limits of shonen, twisting and expanding the stereotypes and subverting expectations with the tropes, that I wonder if it would be even better he would work on a seinen magazine with total freedom to do what he pleases.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
I was not expecting Gon to take a hostage!

Kinda glad he did otherwise it wouldn't have made sense for Pitou to do what Gon tells him to.
Gon never had any intention of harming Komugi, in my opinion. He's just playing Pitou since he knows that letting any harm come to Komugi is absolutely out of the question for her. Notice that he didn't give any instructions to his partners regarding what to do with Komugi in case he didn't come back from his trip with Pitou. If he really was serious, he would have told them to kill Komugi in case he didn't return, for extra intimidation value.

Popnbake

The insects aren't exactly evil are they? They just believe that they are at the top of the food chain, as shown from Meruem's constant passing remarks of letting some humans live.

The ants are generally evil.

The reason why they are so violent is because the Queen consumed humans from the criminal
organization (NGL) and ants take their traits from the food source.

Yonafunu

If I had to rank my interest in all of the events so far in the palace it would be...

1. Netero vs Meruem
2. Gon vs Pitou standoff
6. Morel vs Pouf

I really really like the Youpi fight. His evolution throughout the invasion is so cool to see.

Einhander

1. Netero vs Meruem
2. Gon vs Pitou standoff
6. Morel vs Pouf

Morel vs Pouf was definitely the worst part of this final encounter. It totally sucked the excitement out when it would cut to Morel standing in a dome of smoke while Pouf was in his cocoon. I guess there was some other pointless stuff too, such as the government guy. I don't know why anyone would care about what he's doing.

I would hardly call Morel vs Pouf a fight. It was merely posturing.

Top Bottom