• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

Tuck

Finally all caught up. Great show. Noticed the change in storytelling style during the attack on the palace, but didn't really mind it. Killua is goat.

I watched the first three episodes yesterday, it's nice so far but nothing special (very few shounen are at the beginning so I expected it), the three main characters are likable enough but I hope they tone down Kurapika's and leorio's arguing, it's exhausting, the scene in the back room elevator went on too long.

Cute little cliffhanger at the end of episode 3, who was disqualified? It has to be the guy who lost his arms (I'll find out soon enough, I'm starting episode 4 right after this post)

The exam stuff is obviously just a way to introduce the characters and world, I assume most of the characters that were named in episode 3 will become important. The evil clown guy will most likely switch sides and join Gon, he's too obviously evil at this point, I bet thats a ruse and he's secretly a nice guy (shounen nice, not nice nice, he's still going to take your arms but he won't stab you in the back like the Tonpa guy) and the opening already spoiled me on the white haired guy (Kullira?) as the fourth main character. I guess the computer nerd will be out soon, his computer knowledge won't help him if he doesn't have time to type and do research, he doesn't seem to be able to make quick decisions.
The three brothers are the first arc's villains, one is taken out soon and the other two blame Gon and friends and go after them, I bet that's when the clown comes to the rescue because the brothers are breaking an exam honor code or something.

Heh, you should come back to this post to see how many of your predictions are correct. I think you'll find this does not follow some standard shounen tropes.

Soriku

It's actually a track from the dub Yugioh soundtrack.
KuGsj.gif

Oh yeah...I didn't realize that. It's a good song actually.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNUeHmpPhY0

I watched the first three episodes yesterday, it's nice so far but nothing special (very few shounen are at the beginning so I expected it), the three main characters are likable enough but I hope they tone down Kurapika's and leorio's arguing, it's exhausting, the scene in the back room elevator went on too long.

Cute little cliffhanger at the end of episode 3, who was disqualified? It has to be the guy who lost his arms (I'll find out soon enough, I'm starting episode 4 right after this post)

The exam stuff is obviously just a way to introduce the characters and world, I assume most of the characters that were named in episode 3 will become important. The evil clown guy will most likely switch sides and join Gon, he's too obviously evil at this point, I bet thats a ruse and he's secretly a nice guy (shounen nice, not nice nice, he's still going to take your arms but he won't stab you in the back like the Tonpa guy) and the opening already spoiled me on the white haired guy (Kullira?) as the fourth main character. I guess the computer nerd will be out soon, his computer knowledge won't help him if he doesn't have time to type and do research, he doesn't seem to be able to make quick decisions.
The three brothers are the first arc's villains, one is taken out soon and the other two blame Gon and friends and go after them, I bet that's when the clown comes to the rescue because the brothers are breaking an exam honor code or something.

Hahahahaha.

Tuck

...haha. [Redacted] The show may grow on you - Killua, the best character, has yet to be introduced. His interactions and relationship with Gon is one of my favorite things about this show. Kurapika and leorio do stop arguing, and are (minor spoiler)
actually only present for two major arcs of the show, maybe 50 of the episodes out of 127 so far)

^ don't spoil him!

Can we switch places?? I want to watch HxH for the first time with virgin eyes again!

Pluto

Can we switch places??
Nope, sorry. For some reason this is one of the few shows that I don't got spoiled by carelessly reading forums and wikis or by osmosis from being around fans, I only know the following things:

It's from the guy who did Yu Yu Hakusho
He's married to Naoko Takeuchi
There will be an arc about an island of ants
The manga constantly goes on breaks
When it returns everyone (including the publisher) goes crazy with excitement

So really nothing about the story itself (except ants), but the fact that the constant breaks haven't killed the popularity is telling, it has to be good.

I've seen episode 4, lots of running in this one and I was right about the computer guy failing although it happened differently than I thought, he was simply exhausted.
I'm surprised Kurapika's and Leorio's backstories are already out of the way, but I think the show will elaborate on them later. They're also setting up arcs for both of them, I don't think leorio will ever become a doctor himself, if he becomes a filthy rich hunter he can hire 20 doctors and pay for countless operations, he's not wrong, you need money for a lot of things and if you have it you can achieve more than if you're a poor schmuck with ideals.
I like the friendship that's developing between Gon and Killua, they're going to be friendly rivals, that's obvious from this episode, I hope it stays that way and Gon doesn't become Goku and Killua his cheerleader.

Episode 5: Holy crap, they killed a lot ot candidates, death by tortoise was probably my favourite. I still think Hisoka is a Piccolo/Vegeta type, he killed people in this episode but they attacked him first and planned to kill him so I'm okay with that. He easily beat Gon and Leorio but didn't kill them so he's not just murdering people for fun.
I was confused for a moment, did Hisoka just play examiner or is he an examiner? He seemed to have the same kind of cellphone that Satotz had or was he just in contact with an ally among the candidates? (Please don't answer that).
Nice episode, the only moment that fell flat was Gon and Killua being eaten by the giant frog, as if they were going to die at that moment.
They still haven't revealed who was disqualified, it can't be one the dead guys, why call attention to it if the person in question is no longer there when it's revealed? If they drag this out and tell someone at the end "Congratulations, you passed the exam ... but you were disqualified right at the start so it doesn't count, lol" the examiners are the biggest trolls in the world, I now want that to happen.

Is it okay if I keep posting about the episodes I've seen or would that derail the thread too much?

Is it okay if I keep posting about the episodes I've seen or would that derail the thread too much?

It's fine, impressions from newcomers are nice. However, I would be very careful in this thread. There are unmarked spoilers for episodes before the most recent one everywhere, and that is likely to continue. I'd say try to get caught up as fast as you can (unfortunately phsyically impossible before the next episode) and avoid posts in the thread that don't quote you.

Pluto

It's fine, impressions from newcomers are nice. However, I would be very careful in this thread. There are unmarked spoilers for episodes before the most recent one everywhere, and that is likely to continue. I'd say try to get caught up as fast as you can (unfortunately phsyically impossible before the next episode) and avoid posts in the thread that don't quote you.
Thanks for the advice, I'lll be extra careful.
I'm having the week off so I could start binge watching but there are a lot of things to do around the house, I guess the most I can do at the moment is 4 episodes per day.

It's always fun to read impressions of something new that doesn't know the series!

Alas, as cosmic said is you who should be careful. Expect impressions of the new episode (128!) on Tuesdays/Wednesdays. Personally, I think the most spoily bits should be written in spoilers tags, because even people who are watching it currently sometimes won't watch it until some days later if they are busy with other stuff or whatever.

Soriku

I'm having the week off so I could start binge watching but there are a lot of things to do around the house, I guess the most I can do at the moment is 4 episodes per day.

I'd recommend not reading back in the thread.

Zabojnik

Currently in the middle of the Chimera Ant arc. They should've temporarily changed the name to Exposition x Exposition. Jesus Christ.

Currently in the middle of the Chimera Ant arc. They should've temporarily changed the name to Exposition x Exposition. Jesus Christ.

Yeah no kidding. The first half of this arc had me so baffled and bored i stopped reading for a while. The plot starts so disconnected and inconsequential to the HxH world at large it seemed like filler. On top of that it's just fight after fight with goofy zoo animals that I couldn't care less about.

Upside you're heading into the second half which is gud. It's pretty gud.

Personally I'd keep the heck away from the thread if I were you. Everything up till current episode spoilers don't tend to be spoiler tagged, so you could come here to post an impression and end up reading what happens in the latest episode.

Nibel

Cutest post in the entire thread

Stay safe, from tuesdays to thursdays you should try to avoid this thread

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The ending really did make it seem like
there were other Hisokas, I had that same impression going through the series last September.

I would like updates, as well, but be careful. Just post and then leave until caught up or catch all the way up and then post your impressions.

kewlmyc

I'm baffled that this hasn't been licensed yet. I can understand why Jojo would have a hard time getting licensed, but HxH? Jump on it already Funimation. One of the only long running shounen anime I would buy BD sets of.

I'm baffled that this hasn't been licensed yet. I can understand why Jojo would have a hard time getting licensed, but HxH? Jump on it already Funimation. One of the only long running shounen anime I would buy BD sets of.

It's greatest asset is also it's worst enemy for dubbing purposes. An extensively long series would need a good amount of ads & merchandise to back it. This the same reason why we see more dubs of short series of 12 or 25 eps more these days.

Then again I could be wrong and when it shows up again in shonen jump maybe that'll propel it into dubbing but who knows.

faridmon

Holy shit at the latest episode. The emotion and the feels were through the roof. Gon doing a hard-boiled business was really cool to see.

I really couldn't see the body Pitou was holding, is the King dead or not?

Stulaw

Holy shit at the latest episode. The emotion and the feels were through the roof. Gon doing a hard-boiled business was really cool to see.

I really couldn't see the body Pitou was holding, is the King dead or not?
That wasn't Pitou, it was Youpi, and yes, he was holding the King.

Love seeing this animated, they've changed the order of when some of the events happen compared to the manga, but it makes sense, can't wait for tonight :).

Jigolo

I think we will. Only show from my usual week that there was no episode for was Naruto. OP aired and I think HxH will too.

Peco

I know manga spoilers are taboo in this thread but Jesus Christ, I fucking hope today's episode is that episode.

upandaway

Man, usually these Tuesdays just pop up suddenly, but this time it feels like it's been a month since the last episode. I can't wait!

faridmon

That wasn't Pitou, it was Youpi, and yes, he was holding the King.

Love seeing this animated, they've changed the order of when some of the events happen compared to the manga, but it makes sense, can't wait for tonight :).

Yes, Youpi. Sometimes I get really confused about the the 3 Royal guards and their names

FleenerW

Don't know if you decided to avoid the thread, but if you see this post I'd also like reading more of your impressions and predictions. Very entertaining!

upandaway

I'd say do a hit and run tactic, just post and bookmark if you wanna read our replies after you've caught up, then go out of the thread. Staying in here is way too risky.

Philippo

To the guy who just started it: oh boy, are you in for one hell of a ride.

It's so entretaining to read impressions and speculations from those who just started the series.

TheChits

Man Pouf is crazy as hell. Great villain though. The animation in this show is so damn good.
I have no clue how this is gonna play out. I feel like the remaining group at the palace is going to get BODIED by Pouf, Youpi, and the King unless something crazy happens. Hopefully the King realizes Pouf is scheming and ends him with the swiftness. That would be so satisfying

upandaway

Hahaha that first half of the episode. They went all out!

Something I thought about from the first time the King's ability was revealed, was what would happen if he ate an ant that knew nen, and hell a Royal Guard at that. If he only got some scratches against Netero, and now that he knows about the bombs, there's nothing left in the short term (and by the time it gets to long term he'll be completely established). It's crazy.

The memory twist caught me off guard too. Never expected that.

Mother Fucker

The king's still alive and shit is bout to get real at the palace. I'm quite bummed that the old man's sacrifice was in vain.

God Youpi and Pouf are such livid fanboys for the king. Its more psychopathic devotion that unconditional love.

Mother Fucker

The king's still alive and shit is bout to get real at the palace. I'm quite bummed that the old man's sacrifice was in vain.

God Youpi and Pouf are such livid fanboys for the king. Its more psychopathic devotion that unconditional love.

Technically,
not in vain, as Yupi has sacrificed 99% of his force, and Pouf 85%. Given how fucking strong are the RG, at least it's something.

Technically,
not in vain, as Yupi has sacrificed 99% of his force, and Pouf 85%. Given how fucking strong are the RG, at least it's something.

True, also the temporary amnesia from the blast will no doubt come into play.

Hahaha that first half of the episode. They went all out!

They play the first half 100% straight, without the slightest bit of self awareness or any type of winking at the audiance and how batshit crazy in love with the king the guards are. They may as well had been having orgasms. All three of them.

Pouf is one scheming basterd and I love him for it.

Yonafunu

Yeah, but Meruem got a huge power up. Even if the RGs got nerfed, Meruem is an even bigger problem now

I don't think so. The gap between Meruem and everybody else was already inconceivable large. The power up he just got doesn't make him any more of a problem than he already was, since, apart from Netero dying, nothing has changed. They never had any chance of beating him, and they still don't.

dan2026

Oh God knowing what happens before this arc ends and not being able to say anything is torture.

My anticipation is so fucking high.

I don't think so. The gap between Meruem and everybody else was already inconceivable large. The power up he just got doesn't make him any more of a problem than he already was, since, apart from Netero dying, nothing has changed. They never had any chance of beating him, and they still don't.

Of course, but I was arguing that Netero died in vain since
Meruem survived and got a huge power up even if the RGs were nerfed. Meruem was able to survive an explosion that big and powerful, even though it was low-budget. It stands to reason that he might be able to survive an even bigger one, one that humans might not deploy because that would mean mutually assured destruction. Shit, what am I saying? I do not know the depths of humanity's malice. Let's burn the shit to the ground.

Top Bottom