• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

Pluto

I'm taking everyone's advice and will avoid this thread for the most part from tuesday to thursday due to episode spoilers, so this will be a hit and run post. I'll look a little bit closer at some posts starting on friday.

I wrote about every episode after I watched it

Episode 6: Cooking! The first female examiner and the first example of the typical tits and ass shounen anime woman, oh Japan. ;)
I liked Menchi and that she was willing to admit her mistake, although to be fair, the candidates really put zero effort into cooking, as soon as they all started roasting the pigs I knew they were in trouble.
Hisoka carried Leorio all the way to the finish line, another sign that he's not so bad. :)
I liked that Kurapika initially failed too, so far he figured a lot of things out and is very smart but this time he fell flat on his face, dressing his roasted pig up was not the way to pass.
I almost forgot, we met Netero, the chairman of the hunter exam, wise old grandpa who can probably kick everyone's ass and likes to check out men chi's breasts.

Episode 7: Hisoka has an affinity for darkness ... huh, if he makes the examiners nervous he's probably quite strong.
Uhm, did Hisoka jerk off in the scene with the house of cards? I swear he looked and sounded like he came after it collapsed, I like destroying them as well but not that much.
What exactly is Killua? He's not a normal human, he kinda transformed when the two guys attacked him (are they dead? I bet they are). And I wonder if he was serious when he said he would have killed Netero to get the ball. I guess when he transforms he becomes stronger but strong enough to beat Netero? it also looks like he's not in full control of his powers or instincts, he had to retreat before the urge to kill would have become too strong.

Oh, Tonpa is still an ass, what a loser, his plans aren't even original but he acts like he's some genius rookie crusher.

Episode 8: Tonpa pisses me off, he's in this just to fuck with contenders. Hate him!
Not much else happened i this episode but of the 42 contenders on the airship only 40 arrived at the tower, so Killua really killed those two.
Of the four fights still happening the group has town three, they will obviously win so the real question is who will lose his fight or not have to fight because they already have three wins when it would be his turn. It could be Killua, if he's afraid of showing his power he might choose to go last. He's also very strong so it might be more interesting to see what Leorio does to win.

Episode 9: Okay, so not all fights are physical, the candle stuff was okay but not so exciting. i was more interested in Kurapika's reaction to the Phantom Troupe symbol, he's really screwed up if he reacts to it like that although he knew it was fake. It's understandable, his entire clan was murdered after all.
It wa interesting that Tonpa voted with the others when they had to choose a candle, I thought he'd vote the short one on principle.

Episode 10:Thank god they showed a bit of Hisoka, the others being stuck in the same place is starting to get boring, he chopped that guys head off, not so nice but once again someone was trying to kill him first.
I understand why Kurapika didn't want to kill the blue guy but why did they have to make the bets to check if he's alive, unconscious or conscious? If his match wasn't over than Kurapika should have gone back to check himself.
I now believe Leorio will lose his match, they gave him a half win by proving the bluy guy was conscious and ending Kurapika's match so he can lose and Killua wins his match, I hope they get out of this tower soon, this begins to remind he of Yu Gi Oh with all the talking they're doing from their sides of the arena.

Episode 11: That really turned into Yu Gi Oh for a moment with all the explaining if the Rock, Paper, Scissor rules and tactics and I was right, Leorio lost, if he doesn't learn to keep a cool head he'll never make it as a hunter.
Killua's match was pretty cool, he's a beast, and now they spend 50 hours in that room, I guess that means the next episode is about several other characters before the show returns to the main cast.

Episode 12: Half an episode in that room, that was really boring except for Tonpa successfully getting into Leorio's head, I would have preferred to see some of the other contenders challenges.
I liked the final challenge of the five, I knew they'd pick the long way but I assumed it was a trick by the examiners, that choosing to leave no one behind would actually be the only right choice and picking the short way would get them all stuck. The way they all got to the finish was awesome, I would have never thought of that.
They cleared the tower, finally!

I still don't know who was disqualified, are they really waiting until the final exam before they tell me?

I'm surprised how many people are casually killed off in this series, here a murder, there an animal eating a contender and then someone just drops dead. Why is taking the Hunter exam so polar that millions want to do it, half of this years contenders were eaten in the swamp, who signs up for that?

I don't think i'll write about individual episodes when I watch more, I think I'll give general impressions about all of them like I did for episodes 1-3, much easier.

Edit: Wow, that's a long post and it's at the top of the page, so no threat of spoilers for me, I'll better run before that changes. :)

Busaiku

Honestly, this didn't live up to my expectations.
This was the episode I was waiting for since the series began though.

nasax

What a weird episode. Lots of yapping, orgasming and the plot didn't progress until they moved from the spot where they were literally yapping for fifteen minutes.

FluxWaveZ

This episode, at least the first half, was really weird.

Also, it's pretty obvious that what happens next will rely on
a dramatic change of heart. The revived king is more powerful than how he was previously? He can grow wings and crap out of nowhere now, too. If subsequent events don't rely on him being "confused" and somehow going against the chimera ants' previous objective, I guess everyone will just be killed immediately and there never was a next part to HxH.

Stulaw

I still don't know who was disqualified, are they really waiting until the final exam before they tell me?

It was the guy who had his arms cut off, he can't compete, therefore he's disqualified.

Current Episode.

Great episode, though they're really stretching it out, it's about 1 + 1/2 to 2 chapters worth from the manga.

Daingurse

Episode 112 has become my most watched episode by far. I can't believe I initially disliked it, I must have really just wanted Gon v Pitou lol. Seeing Gon so willing to go in against Youpi, Shoot's epiphany, the King's reaction to Komugi's injury, and simply the fact that everything and everyone is reacting so quickly.

My appreciation for this episode only seems to increase as time passes, one of my favorite set-up episodes in Shounen history. Gon was simply on-point and focused.

Welp, judging by the comments in here I can tell what was covered this episode. Can't wait to watch it when I get home.

RoyalFool

Banned
What a shitty episode, felt like they were recovering from the animation budget of Netero still. 15 minutes of ant orgasms, nobody wants that.

wildfire

Banned
What a shitty episode, felt like they were recovering from the animation budget of Netero still. 15 minutes of ant orgasms, nobody wants that.

I understand your frustration. Hisoka orgasms are better.

Goddammit, that cliffhanger and preview, shit just got realer than real.

And LMAO the first half are so random

It wasn't random. We've been seeing constantly ants eating to evolve and the taste of organisms got better the more evolved it was.

Also the season from the start was about how the Ants are a monolithic species being corrupted by human individuality. This episode puts into better context what makes the Royal Guards special but why that episode with Palm being an experiment was even brought up in the first place.

This was a great character arc for Pouf who was pretty unlikeable or hard to respect up until this point.

Really slow episode offering really less than a second of a good scene, while everything else was hard to focus on. I don't think there is really interest in seeing Youpi for the umpteenth time nor Pouf again and again do nothing to write home about. Perhaps he will get a second fight this arc to somehow give a memorable moment, but otherwise, performing just like all the other nonhumans in this arc, just really terribly.
Also was disappointed that Togashi couldn't actually do something unique for a series in JUMP and go all the way with having the major antagonist off'd in the arc by a non major character. It sad that even he is trapped by the laws of the genre exhibiting this here with the unsurprising reveal that the King did survive the powerful bomb in a way that made him capable enough to breathe on his own.

At least Killua saved the episode.
Bm_UFD-CAAECDgY.png

Wow that was the most hilarious episode of the arc by far...

Am I misunderstanding the subtitles or are Pouf and Youpi "queens" now? I am so confused...

VariantX

Really slow episode offering really less than a second of a good scene, while everything else was hard to focus on. I don't think there is really interest in seeing Youpi for the umpteenth time nor Pouf again and again do nothing to write home about. Perhaps he will get a second fight this arc to somehow give a memorable moment, but otherwise, performing just like all the other nonhumans in this arc, just really terribly.
Also was disappointed that Togashi couldn't actually do something unique for a series in JUMP and go all the way with having the major antagonist off'd in the arc by a non major character. It sad that even he is trapped by the laws of the genre exhibiting this here with the unsurprising reveal that the King did survive the powerful bomb in a way that made him capable enough to breathe on his own.

Bm_UFD-CAAECDgY.png

...in a reaction shot... at the end...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Vague spoilers.

If I wasn't spoiled on the King's fate I'd be shitting my pants right now. Very interested to see how this all plays out as that, and a part of Gon's fight, are the last things I was spoiled on.

Protip, kids: don't read wikis.

Tuck

Pouf's moans were a little much...

Seriously, what a fucked up guy.

EDIT: Oh look, its Youpi's turn now.

EDIT 2: It was probably not necessary to spend ten minutes on all that, but I guess it got the point across. Enjoying the episode, though its certainly slow.

Jigolo

gonna keep it short today since I'm recovering from surgery but that won't stop me from watching my favorite show.

good episode a little slow at first but I like the direction its heading. don't know how the crew is gonna deal with meruem. the only thing I can see is them using komugi as a shield/hostage. also that was unexpected way for the king to be revived hehe

btw the RG reactions to feeding the king were freaking hilarious.

Soriku

Killua saved the episode while only appearing at the very end for not even a second.

Never change DTL.

LOL

Anyway, OK episode. The orgasms lasted too long. I liked the end though where Knuckle just comes out of nowhere and punches Pouf. Didn't expect that.

Vague spoilers.

If I wasn't spoiled on the King's fate I'd be shitting my pants right now. Very interested to see how this all plays out as that, and a part of Gon's fight, are the last things I was spoiled on.

Protip, kids: don't read wikis.

What did you get spoiled on? Shoot me a PM

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Wow that was the most hilarious episode of the arc by far...

Am I misunderstanding the subtitles or are Pouf and Youpi "queens" now? I am so confused...
I think it's more like they developed unconditional love for the king, so they're like the Queen/Mom. Them being "queens" is also a possibility, definitely for Pouf.

At this point in the game, is it possible for Togashi to subvert his own subversion of the shonen genre, just to keep us on our toes? I thought the king would stay dead, so this threw me off.

Sweet episode; pretty hilarious, but I was sad that Youpi had an orgasm scene. The way Pouf was going at it; I can't blame him for giving it a shot. Next ep is looking dope.

This latest episode was like if somebody said "you know that speech of Hisoka where he was orgasming over Gon? Let's make 12 full minutes of that, then the 8 minutes of clean-up"

I need my Gon x Pitou.

fun fact: this was the first chapter of HxH that I ever read, I had heard about it and just looked at what the latest chapter was, I was so weirded out that I didn't bother with the series again until much later

Blades64

Banned
Pretty wierd episode there with the orgasms at the start. Was so uncharacteristic of Youpi too. o_O

I want pouf to just die already. He really is an evil bastard with his scheming and such.

Eagerly anticipating Gon vs. Pitou right now...

fun fact: this was the first chapter of HxH that I ever read, I had heard about it and just looked at what the latest chapter was, I was so weirded out that I didn't bother with the series again until much later

lol i feel like i would react the same way if this was the first chapter i had read

pretty decent episode, it was a great adaptation of the manga. Can't wait for the coming episodes either. It's gonna be great.

Einhander

HxH 128

First half of the episode was like watching an orgy gangbang scene between
Pouf, Youpi, and Meruem.
I better see a good fight next episode.

Akainu

10 minutes in and MAD FEELS JUST LIKE I REMEMBER!!!!

Also was disappointed that Togashi couldn't actually do something unique for a series in JUMP and go all the way with having the major antagonist off'd in the arc by a non major character.
Oh please. This coming from the guy that got angry gon didn't beat hisoka? Togashi has been doing pretty interesting stuff and you'v been complaining about. You aren't fooling anyone.

Blades64

Banned
10 minutes in and MAD FEELS JUST LIKE I REMEMBER!!!!

Oh please. This coming from the guy that got angry gon didn't beat hisoka? Togashi has been doing pretty interesting stuff and you'v been complaining about. You aren't fooling anyone.

I've come to the realization that DTL is a mastor troll. Lol.

Awful awful episode, I understand taking it slow as to not catch up with the manga but it's getting kinda ridiculous, 10 minutes of sex noises from ants???

I can understand not liking the first half because of wanting to see what happens next already, but personally I thought it was glorious

Okay. That was so goddamn over the top that I couldn't help but laugh for 10 minutes straight after the
orgasms
and everything. A+ Togashi. A+.

Next week looks fun though.

Pluto

It was the guy who had his arms cut off, he can't compete, therefore he's disqualified.
WTF? I didn't want to know that. It's not the biggest spoiler in the world because I assumed it anyway but it's still fucked up. I come here to ask that people please don't send me spoilery PMs and to be sure I really read it you post it here too? Why would you do that?! I thought the posts quoting me were save to read, apparently not.

WTF? I didn't want to know that. It's not the biggest spoiler in the world because I assumed it anyway but it's still fucked up. I come here to ask that people please don't send me spoilery PMs and to be sure I really read it you post it here too? Why would you do that?! I thought the posts quoting me were save to read, apparently not.

Pretty sure they said he was disqualified right away.

Top Bottom