• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

Peter Jackson
Tim Burton
George Lucas
M. Night Shyamalan
Yoshihiro Togashi

Togashi isn't the one that turned 2 pages into 5 minutes. Whatever pacing problems the manga had, the anime has increased them exponentially. Unless you're complaining about something other than the padding.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Pacing issues since the attack on the palace began have absolutely murdered this show. What a shame.

fertygo

Yup, I blame the seemingly motivation to get certain amount of episode than just doing what the best for the show.

Its still good show, but its hampering the potential.

upandaway

I think I would be more fine with the filler this episode if I understood it, but it just confused me. They brought flashbacks to scenes that had nothing to do with what's going on. That's a bummer because I really liked that scene.

bronk

Banned
Pacing issues since the attack on the palace began have absolutely murdered this show. What a shame.
Im dying over here with the pacing. I wish I would have caught on to the show a little bit later. This is rough, hope it pays off.

Nephtis

The pacing killed me, and I didn't like that they stretched this ep out.

However, one has to recognize they did an amazing job with it. The quality of the voice acting on Gon's part was top notch. That bit of seeing his mind break down was very Evangelion-esque.

Pouf really, seriously annoys me.

I really hope this is the last horribly unneeded filler ridden episode for this arc. More then anything I can't wrap my head around why Madhouse is doing it. Since there is no chance of the show continuing past where the current hiatus left us due to various reasons (with Togashi only once in the past 8 years able to give us 30 chapters before going on a hiatus tops the list). It's just really sad that these choice they have made are hurting the show.

Moaradin

Most episodes since the attack on the palace have covered 2-3 chapters from what I've heard. This is the only time I could understand the pacing complaints. How many chapters did this episode cover? Probably a lot less than the majority of this arc so far.

fertygo

Most episodes since the attack on the palace have covered 2-3 chapters from what I've heard. This is the only time I could understand the pacing complaints. How many chapters did this episode cover? Probably a lot less than the majority of this arc so far.

They beginning to cover 1,5 chapter or something, last 3 eps or so.. ugh.

Soriku

This was bad One Piece level pacing lol. Now all the hype GIFs just look silly.

I had more feels when Pouf and Youpi cried over the King. Unfortunately I don't really care for Kite.

Anyway, going by the preview the fight will start next week, but I bet they'll show scenes of everyone else and drag it out till the episode after.

kirblar

Next arc is super fast paced though. Kinda hard to screw it up.

They've definitely mistimed the episodes leading up to certain events though, leading to a few episodes that are stretched out because they didn't squish things earlier.

Moaradin

Just got around to seeing it. I went in with low expectations, but I ended up liking it a lot. Gon's scene was done amazingly and the actor did a fantastic job. More than made up for the slow pacing.

I'm ready for the fight now. Bring on next week!

Hisoka

Welp, there's really too much pacing going on in the last couple of weeks.

I honestly ask myself if this is a stretching issue, due to the fact that the manga starts again after this big (BIG) hiatus,
so they won't have to pause that much or something alike, but it's just me i think

Still, the last episodes really killed my mood after watching them.
I'm always like "hey.. nothing really happened in this episode".

I didn't mind the pacing too much of this episode. I enjoyed how they had Gon feel so broken and not really knowing what was happening. Would not have felt right if Gon had found out Kite was already dead and then BANG go straight into a fight. Gon is after all still a child and the emotions of him really touched me, especially how naive and innocent he is in believing she would fix her arm and then heal Kite.

Although it still blows that the episode was hyped in here and i was looking forward to a fight.

Mael

Blue x Balls

Seriously I didn't expect we get everything this week but goddamnit at least give use SOMETHING!
The cliffhanger on this one is waaaaaaaaaaaay worse than what we got when we read it at this point!
I knew I couldn't wait for the next chapter but at LEAST it left us in a satisfying note to end an episode.
Otherwise really good episode.
But seriously at the Pufu was laughing at us who were watching the show.
Seriously put that in gif form and that's really the summary of this episode.

Next week better be
Shit x Got x Real

I also totally get that they wanted to make this part coincide with the return of the manga but in that case it would have been better if the manga resumed this week.
I mean we would have gotten HxH one week earlier as a bonus!

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
We have reached the beginning of the chimera ant arc; where everyone was complaining massively about "where are the fights!!!". I even fell victim to it, but the amount of complaining is kind of mind blowing. It would've been awesome, but felt weird, if they started fighting this episode.

Enjoy the ride! We'll be in hiatusville soon.

Yonafunu

Looking at the rest of the arc, there's about 14 chapters left for the remaining 5 episodes. The pacing will have to go back to normal.

Looking at the rest of the arc, there's about 14 chapters left for the remaining 5 episodes. The pacing will have to go back to normal.

14 chapters left of the arc? I really have no idea where this arc is going? I remember people on here saying that they explain what happened to all the characters like the koala tuxedo ant. I just hope this arc is not left open with the King staying alive.
I feel like this is going to happen :(

Episode was eh.
Didn't really care for Kite. They should have interspersed some flashbacks of him throughout the show to get you invested in the character.

And Pitou? Gon was having a mental breakdown. Just chop off his head already.

Episode was eh.
Didn't really care for Kite. They should have interspersed some flashbacks of him throughout the show to get you invested in the character.

I felt the same way about Kite. Its hard for me to care and if it wasn't for the fact that I read on here about his past relationship with Gon, I would struggle to find a reason why Gon cared so much.

Pitou, Youfi and the King have all evolved over the arc. At the beginning of the arc, I am sure she would have killed Gon as soon as she discovered Komugi was 'safe', but it seems now she has gained respect for Gon and wanted to tell him the truth and fight him honourably.

andymcc

Banned
I felt the same way about Kite. Its hard for me to care and if it wasn't for the fact that I read on here about his past relationship with Gon, I would struggle to find a reason why Gon cared so much.

really? it's the closest link he's had to his dad. that's pretty much him projecting a familial-esque relationship on him.

upandaway

really? it's the closest link he's had to his dad. that's pretty much him projecting a familial-esque relationship on him.
Kite is much more of a dad to Gon than his real dad is, irrelevant of Kite's link to Ging.

Say Kite was switched with Ging for the entirety of the ant arc, I can't say that Gon would have reacted like that. He'd take a hit, but it won't reduce him to a dependent baby like it did this episode.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I don't understand why they felt the need to change Kite in the anime. He should've showed up in the beginning like in the manga.

The way they handled the character makes this whole arc feel cheaper.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I don't understand why they felt the need to change Kite in the anime. He should've showed up in the beginning like in the manga.

The way they handled the character makes this whole arc feel cheaper.

When does he show up in the Manga ?

When does he show up in the Manga ?

I think near the start. He is meant to save a younger Gon from a wild animal in the forest or something. They then develop a friendship. I am sure one of the manga readers know beter.

Would have made it so much better to have had that context in the show. Even if it was just flashbacks when Gon first meets Kite after Greed Island.

shira

Episode was eh.

Kite saved his life and was his best teacher.

Episode was eh.

They really messed this up in this adaptation. In the manga and the original anime, Kite appeared way earlier in the story and was one of the primary reasons why Gon decided to take the hunter exam. In this adaptation, there was no mention or appearance of Kite until the end of Greed Island and the beginning of the Chimera Ant arc.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
First chapter I think. Yup just checked it.

Oh well, thats explains everything even though they had the anime flashback later on.

I think near the start. He is meant to save a younger Gon from a wild animal in the forest or something. They then develop a friendship. I am sure one of the manga readers know beter.

Would have made it so much better to have had that context in the show. Even if it was just flashbacks when Gon first meets Kite after Greed Island.

Okay...when they meet for the first time in Chimera Ant Arc - are their differences between the Manga and Anime ?

Oh well, thats explains everything even though they had the anime flashback later on.

Okay...when they meet for the first time in Chimera Ant Arc - are their differences between the Manga and Anime ?

I think Kite is meant to be the reason why Gon wanted to be a Hunter in the first place, but the anime doesn't mention that. I think Kite also told Gon at that time about his dad as opposed to the first meeting in the anime.

andymcc

Banned
I think Kite is meant to be the reason why Gon wanted to be a Hunter in the first place, but the anime doesn't mention that. I think Kite also told Gon at that time about his dad as opposed to the first meeting in the anime.

Kite was the one that told Gon that his dad was still alive. He gave him Jinn's hunter license at their first meeting iirc.

andymcc

Banned
He was supposed to chase after Ging and give him his hunter's license back, the same way Kite did when he became Ging's apprentice.

i didn't watch the first bit of the anime (as I read the manga/seen the original series) and jumped in a little before the Black Spiders arc but I can't believe they botched this part so badly. lmao

FluxWaveZ

It seems the parts they omitted from the anime adaptation would have been essential for better understanding Gon's rage and despair throughout this whole ordeal.

kirblar

It seems the parts they omitted from the anime adaptation would have been essential for better understanding Gon's rage and despair throughout this whole ordeal.
On the flip side, they would have made the opening episodes miserably boring. Given that the materials there early in the Manga, I think they made the right call.

On the flip side, they would have made the opening episodes miserably boring. Given that the materials there early in the Manga, I think they made the right call.

Couldnt they have just done it as flashbacks when the first met in the anime? They could explained their relationship to Killua. Or would it have still be boring?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
tumblr_n0wtbtP3j21s3dnjro1_r2_500.gif

tumblr_n5quyx5yWX1shcpmyo1_r1_250.gif
tumblr_n5quyx5yWX1shcpmyo6_r1_250.gif

tumblr_n5quyx5yWX1shcpmyo2_r1_250.gif
tumblr_n5quyx5yWX1shcpmyo8_r1_250.gif

tumblr_n5quyx5yWX1shcpmyo4_r1_250.gif
tumblr_n5quyx5yWX1shcpmyo5_r1_250.gif

tumblr_n5quyx5yWX1shcpmyo3_r1_250.gif
tumblr_n5quyx5yWX1shcpmyo7_r1_250.gif

tumblr_n5w4l5ZTtq1qenvj9o1_500.gif