• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

Daingurse

You know he's a dude right

Irrelevant, lol. Pitou still seems to be feminine, so regardless of his biological sex, he's pretty attractive. Too bad he's a fucking monster.

Hell, Zazan was technically male too right? Meh, would not matter to me, they'd both get it.

icy_eagle

Man, the pacing, just... why? And the ant arc is already the longest arc in HxH. I don't like it when it feels like a chore, an obligation, going through the episodes just because I liked the source material.

Official data book refers TO pitou's gender using the word he, though I do feel there are some big differences in Pitou's depictions in the anime and manga.

In addition IIRC the Ant Queen can only give birth to males. Although Togashi might have been inconsistent with this.

(Chimera) Ants are a bunch of males and a female queen. The human/mammal thing is bleeding through with the "worker/guard" ants, and some of them are showing up with feminine traits despite technically being male.

Hence..weirdness.

Yeah, there's no getting around the fact that the anime depicts Pitou as more feminine than the manga. I refer to Pitou as male usually.

Do you guys know the chapter # where they talk about the ant structure?

kirblar

Man, the pacing, just... why? And the ant arc is already the longest arc in HxH. I don't like it when it feels like a chore, an obligation, going through the episodes just because I liked the source material.
The rest of this arc is anything but a chore, and I suspect the almost-absurd length may have been intentional in order to magnify the emotional effect later events have on the reader/watcher.

Popnbake

You know he's a dude right

Pitou is a girl for the weekly shonen jump team.

There was a recent podcast where the series translator and editor talk about the manga and the question of Pitou's gender came up.
One of the translators talked to the animation character designer who stated that for him, Pitou was a girl.

This explains why her design is more feminine in the anime.

*edit: (WARNING: HxH spoilers in the Podcast since it's a catch-up for the manga's return)

http://shonenjump.viz.com/node/2109 (Pitou's gender question is at the 11:57 mark)

Had someone point this out to me on another forum since I thought that Pitou was a guy as well despite her anime appearance.

ReiGun

Spent the last couple weeks watching everything from the Zoldyck Family to the last episode. Overall, I really enjoy the show. I like that it's very cerebral (for lack of a better term) with its conflicts and often subverts the expectations of its genre. That said, the pacing has really been a problem with this Chimera Ant thing. So much internal monologuing and narration explaining the characters' thoughts at any given moment. Made the last arc a real chore to watch through.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Heh i could do it with a female cosplayer so i wouldn't feel guilty about it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

tumblr_mqotx5QcZv1r0h5wwo3_1280.jpg

Hopefully that isn't a dude.

Soriku

Completely agreed, wow @ some of the reactions

You guys are too deep in this pacing/padding stuff, can't even appreciate character development anymore

There wasn't much character development this episode. Gon's been having a breakdown for a long time now. They spent too much time with him in shock. Like, we got the point.

Also Evangelion 25 was pretty interesting and got its message across. It wasn't just a mindfuck.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Pitou is a girl for the weekly shonen jump team.

There was a recent podcast where the series translator and editor talk about the manga and the question of Pitou's gender came up.
One of the translators talked to the animation character designer who stated that for him, Pitou was a girl.

This explains why her design is more feminine in the anime.

*edit: (WARNING: HxH spoilers in the Podcast since it's a catch-up for the manga's return)

http://shonenjump.viz.com/node/2109 (Pitou's gender question is at the 11:57 mark)

Had someone point this out to me on another forum since I thought that Pitou was a guy as well despite her anime appearance.

Not canon. I only go by the official data book.

Finally had a chance to watch the last 2 episodes last night, the pacing is torture!

Probably not helping that I'm pretty keen to finally see Gon unleash and fight Pitou.

Mortemis

Banned
Gon's VA is doing a tremendously good job again, that whole scene was great just because you can get just how devastated Gon is from the voice. Too bad it was ruined by horrid pacing. I've been trying to be patient this whole arc but damn I'm losing it near the end. I'm sure next episode will not disappoint, plus I'll get to read a new chapter (yay!) the day after so all should be good.

Speaking of impressive (and androgynous) cosplays, this has to be one of the best I've ever seen:

8cb1852881f8cfd525f26fb574b86e68c6304821-740.jpg

Wow, that's probably the best HxH cosplay I've seen.

Popnbake

Not canon. I only go by the official data book.

Despite the gender confusion and the data book, the official translator of WSJ's Hunter X Hunter now considers Pitou to be a girl.
Takahiro Yoshimatsu, the character designer for the Hunter X Hunter anime, considers Pitou to be a girl and gave her more feminine appeal.

So I think it's alright if people want to consider Pitou being a girl in the anime thread.

As for the manga, that's another story... >.>

FleenerW

No need to, your previous examples did the job already. ^^
I'm merely saying that it could be meant to be a Japanese name, that the possibility exists, not arguing over probabilities.
Oh, I didn't intend to completely dismiss the possibility. In addition to being a little slow I guess I'm not very articulate, heh. Sorry for the confusion!

MCD

In the last episode they specifically referred to Pitou as "It".

They always do that or just use the ants' names. it really doesn't matter, they are monsters. They can have whatever down there and it wouldn't make any difference.

I'm actually more puzzled by their clothes to be honest. How were they born with clothes anyway? lol

Moaradin

There's definitely a lack of female characters in the main cast. It would make sense for him to be a girl just for variety sake.

kirblar

There's definitely a lack of female characters in the main cast. It would make sense for him to be a girl just for variety sake.
I mean, it's a series based on deconstructing Shonen tropes so...... :p

Kurapika being gay would make perfect sense given the femininity associated with him alongside it being the absolute most brutal dagger given his backstory (since it would all but rule out kids to re-start his Clan.)

I mean, it's a series based on deconstructing Shonen tropes so...... :p

Kurapika being gay would make perfect sense given the femininity associated with him alongside it being the absolute most brutal dagger given his backstory (since it would all but rule out kids to re-start his Clan.)

I don't think sexuality will ever really be a defining characteristic for Kurapika. Dude is all about revenge.

wildfire

Banned
I haven't watched the latest episode yet but as a huge HxH fan and a manga reader I want to know what are the anime only viewer expectations on the confrontation between Gon and Pitou.

I remember trying to figure out how the battle would ensure between the two when I read the manga and got me all excited when they released how it all folded out!

Sometimes I expect Pitou to offer make up sex.

But to be serious I find Pitou a bit confusing at this point. Once she received the call she got the murderous look back and I thought right then and there she was going to go all out. Instead she respects Gon enough to see where he was taking her and she points out she can't do anything about it.

Gon's reaction is almost more predictable. Him hanging on to hope when Pitou starts fixing her arm and him being confused makes sense. I just thought his initial reaction upon finding out Kite is definitely dead would be to go berserk.

Sure we saw and heard his internal anger but it wasn't and should have been visible to Pitou. I thought that lack of visibility was inappropriate and the animation director made a mistake for doing the opposite.

At this point this is what I sort of expect from each character.

Gon will lash out after Pitou fixes her arm. Pitou will test Gon demanding he live up to his end of his bargain. Gon will point out he doesn't want the hostage hurt but he does want to hurt Pitou.

Pitou will proceed to beat the shit out of Gon but she won't kill him.

Then there will be make up sex.

MCD

Sometimes I expect Pitou to offer make up sex.

But to be serious I find Pitou a bit confusing at this point. Once she received the call she got the murderous look back and I thought right then and there she was going to go all out. Instead she respects Gon enough to see where he was taking her and she points out she can't do anything about it.

Gon's reaction is almost more predictable. Him hanging on to hope when Pitou starts fixing her arm and him being confused makes sense. I just thought his initial reaction upon finding out Kite is definitely dead would be to go berserk.

Sure we saw and heard his internal anger but it wasn't and should have been visible to Pitou. I thought that lack of visibility was inappropriate and the animation director made a mistake for doing the opposite.

At this point this is what I sort of expect from each character.

Gon will lash out after Pitou fixes her arm. Pitou will test Gon demanding he live up to his end of his bargain. Gon will point out he doesn't want the hostage hurt but he does want to hurt Pitou.

Pitou will proceed to beat the shit out of Gon but she won't kill him.

Then there will be make up sex.

My fetish right here fucking fund it!

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I didn't mind this episode at all, though Gon's inner monologue lasted more than it should have imo. It's the only thing that sucked about it because it was just so lazily stretched out. Next episode looks awesome, omfg.

Jigolo

Apparently it's happening. /r/HunterxHunter got a hold of leaked screens from the next episode. Im not clicking the link(s) since I'm not a manga reader.

andymcc

Banned
Apparently it's happening. /r/HunterxHunter got a hold of leaked screens from the next episode. Im not clicking the link(s) since I'm not a manga reader.

judging by the images, looks like all of "it" is happening next episode too.

no blue balls.

Top Bottom