• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

Korosenai

SSJ3GIF.gif

Gon will go Super Saiyan 3 and eat Pitou alive confirmed.
Hehe

Pretty much a perfect episode. Loved the stylistic choices, and the ending music timing was great. Content wise, I love it, I can understand why some people will dislike it though. Personally, gonna rewatch this 5-6 times just like I did with Netero vs King haha.

Don't get me wrong. I love the musical and animation choices for the ep (the choir during the transformation was awesome), I just feels like the actual content and resolution of the fight was kind of a cop out. He shouldn't be allowed to do THAT!!

Kyuur

Don't get me wrong. I love the musical and animation choices for the ep (the choir during the transformation was awesome), I just feels like the actual content and resolution of the fight was kind of a cop out. He shouldn't be allowed to do THAT!!

Let's see the consequences!

I feel the same, it was over too fast and I didn't feel the satisfaction. But I gotta admit, the whole this is pretty awesome though.

Holy shit

HOLY SHIT

HOLY SHIT

That scene at the beginning... I totally forgive them for sacrificing last week's pacing so they could do this

I'm so confused right now?!?!?!?!?!?

That wasn't a fight, it was an annihilation!

I know there is a downside and a high cost to what Gon did, but this still feels kind of illegal and out of left field.
Yeah, that's why it was funny some people getting hyped for a epic fight, it never happens, it was a one sided carnage.

And as you say, it kind of feels a cheat, it came out of left field for me too. That didn't seem like the limiation and pledge system when someone develops a nen hatsu, but pure deus ex machina from Togashi.

andymcc

Banned
i thought the pacing was perfect. this episode was actually two and a half chapters of material instead of just one and a half!

maybe you guys are just used to how slow every other episode in this arc is.

Lulubop

Yeah, that's why it was funny some people getting hyped for a epic fight, it never happens, it was a one sided carnage.

And as you say, it kind of feels a cheat, it came out of left field for me too. That didn't seem like the limiation and pledge system when someone develops a nen hatsu, but pure deus ex machina from Togashi.

Agreed. I've always hated this.

Let's see the consequences!

I guess, I haven't read the manga so I don't know what comes next, but the difference between kurapika's special power up is that he knew about his special ability before hand,(its just that the audiance didn't) and used it in a smart and effective way. Gon just
lucks into a DBZ super saiyan time travel power-up and literally just punches pitou to death.

docbon

episode spoilers:

The two second fight and SSJ bit was definitely mega lame.

kewlmyc

fuck... FUCK.

Does seem like kind of an asspull though.
If he traded all of his potential for the strength to defeat Pitou then and there, then what was stopping Netero from doing the same during the King fight? Unless that was Netero's full potential and it still wasn't enough. What's to keep all the people in this operation from doing the same if they all are putting their lives on the line anyway?
Regardless, what a freaking awesome episode this was. All hail Gon-san.

andymcc

Banned
If he traded all of his potential for the strength to defeat Pitou then and there, then what was stopping Netero from doing the same during the King fight? Unless that was Netero's full potential and it still wasn't enough. Why not get all the people in this operation from doing the same if they all put their lives on the line.

i thought Netero DID sacrifice all of his power for Zero. After he landed the move, his body is completely in tatters.

kewlmyc

i thought Netero DID sacrifice all of his power for Zero. After he landed the move, his body is completely in tatters.

True. Still seems odd that more people who are on death's door don't do this, especially seeing how much Gon improved using it.

TalonJH

I have to thank Anime Gaf for suggesting Hunter x Hunter to me. I had always passed over it even though I had seen it on so many list just from seeing cover art. Now, whenever friends ask me for anime suggestions, it's the first one I say.

oh my god oh my god OH MY GOD

this episode captured the essence of the manga better than I could have imagined. Thank you MadHouse it was perfect. Killua was great this episode too. Shit. I need to watch this again.
"Now I'm the same that Kite was at that time" fucking tears man

Stulaw

fuck... FUCK.

If he traded all of his potential for the strength to defeat Pitou then and there, then what was stopping Netero from doing the same during the King fight? Unless that was Netero's full potential and it still wasn't enough. What's to keep all the people in this operation from doing the same if they all are putting their lives on the line anyway?
Gon is still young with plenty of potential, Netero was 110 and well past it.

Loved the episode, was as brutal as I imagined it to be, glad they picked up the pacing for it.

Kyuur

I guess, I haven't read the manga so I don't know what comes next, but the difference between kurapika's special power up is that he knew about his special ability before hand,(its just that the audiance didn't) and used it in a smart and effective way. Gon just
lucks into a DBZ super saiyan time travel power-up and literally just punches pitou to death.

Gon would have developed this the same way Kurapika did. Kurapika didn't have a chance to test the Chain Jail / Chain Judgement technique until his first fight with Uvogin, given the restrictions.

fuck... FUCK.

Many people on this mission are prepared to die, but it's not like they want to if they don't have to. For everyone but Netero and Gon, the mission was distraction.

Thing is, Kurapika's condition for his power is "if I use it on a non-spider I diw". Gon's might as well be
"and after this I will die I don't care anymore"
given what he says and Pitou's analysis.

Kurapika can still use other nen, Gon
will never be able to ever again if he even lives after the power up finishes.

No manga spoilers, just going by what's been said in the episode.

fuck... FUCK.

There's no point for Netero, he already accomplished what Gon did but it took him decades.

VariantX

fuck... FUCK.

I dunno if that was his full potential though, Netero was 100+ years old at the time of his death.

andymcc

Banned
Many people on this mission are prepared to die, but it's not like they want to if they don't have to. For everyone but Netero and Gon, the mission was distraction.

Morel and Knov both have said things like, (paraphrasing) "in a fight, you can't automatically assume you will lose" and I think, the difference for both Netero and Gon, is that they intended to lose from the offset.

Gon is still young with plenty of potential, Netero was 110 and well past it.

yeah, but like kewlmyc said, why isn't this something everyone does at the end of a fight. Nen conditions were properly introduced and made sense, and we've seen it used plenty of others like knuckles, cheeta, and even someone as powerful as chrollo.
This just feel s like instant power-up for Gon and I find it super unlikely the author will stick to him never being able to use Nen again. But who knows, I might be wrong

yeah, but like kewlmyc said, why isn't this something everyone does at the end of a fight. Nen conditions were properly introduced and made sense, and we've seen it used plenty of others like knuckles, cheeta, and even someone as powerful as chrollo. This just feel s like instant power-up for Gon and I find it super unlikely the author will stick to him never being able to use Nen again. But who knows, I might be wrong.

Gon sacrificed all his future potential for the condition "I don't care if I die I just want to kill this person in front of me". You'd have to have a huge grudge and a bunch of untapped potential to do such a thing.

Gon sacrificed all his future potential for the condition "I don't care if I die I just want to kill this person in front of me". You'd have to have a huge grudge and a bunch of untapped potential to do such a thing.

I guess I should just say that in this universe it might be possible, but in no way is it satisfying for me from a storytelling perspective.

SamVimes

I only read the manga but i find this thread pretty entertaining (except for the asshats that tried to ruin this episode), any gif of
the punch
?

Kieli

Not everyone can do this...

Gon is in complete, 100% "I don't give a shit let me kill this fucker and I'm going to die for it mode" AND he has essentially (along with Killua) unlimited potential.

How many others have both his psycopathic determination AND his insane potential (HE'S ONLY 14).

andymcc

Banned
I guess I should just say that in this universe it might be possible, but in no way is it satisfying for me from a storytelling perspective.

it totally is a subversion of a normal convention in shonen manga though. how many times have you seen protagonists power up for lesser reasons in universally loved series?

Yu Yu Hakusho spoilers (cuz, Togashi) for comparsion:
Remember when Yusuke went to 120% because he thought Kuwabara was dead? This wasn't really explained prior to it happening and a supporting/friend character death is pretty much the de facto reason for a main character's power-up in shonen. We see this sort of thing in Dragon Ball Z, Bleach, One Piece, etc.

for those claiming deus ex machinas... this isn't even the most egregious of Togashi's.

Further YYH spoilers:
Yusuke literally dying and then the next chapter we find out he has demonkin blood and he's revived. He still can't beat Sensui even in his revived state and his dad's spirit possesses his body to win the fight...

fertygo

Lately the anime had serious problem, but you must admit they fucking deliver at essential episode like this, simply great episode.

The music and its use, sakuga, black and white scene.. Glorious.

FluxWaveZ

Enhancers, amirite?

Edit: I wasn't into
the whole super nen aging thing Gon was doing until it was emphasized that there has to be a cost for that power, like Kurapika's. If the cost ends up being significant enough, I'll be okay with it. Dude lost his arm, anyways, and he's not in Greed Island anymore.

Blair

Banned
Been looking forward to that for some time.
The transformation being born out of a culmination of rage and sadness saves it being a lame 'super power up', the fact that he has sacrificed all his potential to achieve it is a great way of tempering the viewers hype at seeing the enemy utterly demolished. The black and white sequence at the end was brilliant. A perfect balance of melancholy and destruction.

it totally is a subversion of a normal convention in shonen manga though. how many times have you seen protagonists power up for lesser reasons in universally loved series?

Remember when Yusuke went to 120% because he thought Kuwabara was dead? This wasn't really explained prior to it happening and a supporting/friend character death is pretty much the de facto reason for a main character's power-up in shonen. We see this sort of thing in Dragon Ball Z, Bleach, One Piece, etc.

for those claiming deus ex machinas... this isn't even the most egregious of Togashi's.

Further YYH spoilers:
Yusuke literally dying and then the next chapter we find out he has demonkin blood and he's revived. He still can't beat Sensui even in his revived state and his dad's spirit possesses his body to win the fight...

I know this is a shonen show we're talking about, but out of nowhere powerups are in general are lame, and something similar has been done in this arc much better with netero and the king. It wasn't a power up per say but it was an insta-kill move that comes out of nowhere (for the audience not the character). Looking back, you see that this was his plan all along and the pieces fall into place. This feels like being written into a corner and just saying fuck it
Gon gets a powerup and kills pitou like nothing, and then saying "but it came at a great cost" to mitigate the damage.

What I've liked about the shows fight is their cerebral nature. Granted, Gon is as dumb and simpleminded as a rock but even that is used in interesting ways (ie the candle fight or the fight with the ninja in the hunter exams). I think I'd be a little ok with it if there was an actual fight,
Gon just punches pitou to death,
and that's it (although it was pretty). This doesn't feel like a subversion to me personally, just a writer in a corner. And even if it was, subversiveness in and of itself is not enough.

Jigolo

Enhancers, amirite?

Edit: I wasn't into
the whole super nen aging thing Gon was doing until it was emphasized that there has to be a cost for that power, like Kurapika's. If the cost ends up being significant enough, I'll be okay with it. Dude lost his arm, anyways, and he's not in Greed Island anymore.

I feel the same way as you.

I actually don't really have anything to write this time. The episode was again one of the best of the show and was extremely awesome but I guess it didn't hit as hard because I had already spoiled myself (by mistake) and the HxH world (including HxHGAF) was hyping this up to be the greatest episode ever. I think that was the main thing that reduced the impact for me.

Netero vs. Meruem is still the best episode ever. And if I remember correctly no one on here even hyped that up. lol

Talents

Banned
Holy shit. I can understand why people might dislike what happened, but DAMN. That ending though, I am so tempted to read the manga but I really don't want to. What the hell's gonna happen to Gon though, I just wanna see next weeks episode.

Further YYH spoilers:

Well, I consider YYH an early work of Toagashi and his craftsmanship was still not fully developed.
One thing I always liked of HxH is how things made sense, how the world acted based on actions and consequences, how atypical for a shonen is HxH (there is no big confrontation at the end of the Yorkshin Arc, for example), so saying that it's normal for a shonen doesn't cut it here.

In fact, the true problem I have with this development is what it happens at the end of the Election Arc (full manga spoilers, don't read if you haven't read all the manga!)
Not only Gon goes SSJ, at least he pays up a price for it. But that price is nullified in the end, that's the big problem for me. Gon is healed "for free", Nanika's ability was another deus ex machina, one even bigger. I like how in HxH the big powerful abilities have conditions and restrictions to work, it's like when you build a rpg character, you pay positive points with negative points, so it's fair. Nanika's power was super breaking powerful but at least it had consequences, you had to pay the price in lives. FMA equivalent exchange, if you want to see it like that. But because Killua asked it... no price to pay! I know nen is basically magic but it felt like the laws of thermodynamics were broken and someone did an infinite energy generator. Ummph.

Jigolo

Guys up to what chapter is it safe to read? You might have to be specific on the page as well because the anime covers 2 1/2 sometimes 2 2/3 chapters

Top Bottom