• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

As much as it hurts me to say this, I can understand where people are coming from when they say that this was a deus ex.

Still the best episode ever IMO

Jex

Don't get me wrong. I love the musical and animation choices for the ep (the choir during the transformation was awesome), I just feels like the actual content and resolution of the fight was kind of a cop out. He shouldn't be allowed to do THAT!!

I actually feel that the piece of music used right in the middle of the episode was kind of bad. The rest was great though.

Still, as I've now delved into the manga, well, I won't say anything, but a handful of great episodes can't save this arc from being horribly bloated and unfocused. Even if these are some of the best episodes in the series.

smurfx

get some go again
its too bad we never got to see the chibi version of pitou. wonder if pitou could also give her power to the king.

Mortemis

Banned
Plot aside, the music in this episode was extremely pleasing to hear. The music, other than one track, was wonderful and fit the episode very well, something that madhouse had problems with on a few occasions (they've been doing good in this arc though). The actual fighting animation, while really short, was wonderful as well.

That ending had me shaking. I'm on my fifth watchthrough right now. Well I'm skipping parts but still, I can't get enough of this.

FleenerW

It's using those tropes in unusual ways and subverting them.
I understand some of where you're coming from, but at the moment I don't feel that this trope was used in an unusual way. Don't get me wrong -- I still like HxH a lot, but we'll have to agree to disagree for now!

Hulk Gon is ridiculous. It didn't really look aesthetically pleasing because his clothes didn't fit him and his hair just looked outrageous. I guess Togashi's intent was to show us Gon's true potential if he dedicates himself to training himself like Netero did. It also shows that Gon can do anything because of resolve to do so.

I actually feel that the piece of music used right in the middle of the episode was kind of bad. The rest was great though.

Still, as I've now delved into the manga, well, I won't say anything, but a handful of great episodes can't save this arc from being horribly bloated and unfocused. Even if these are some of the best episodes in the series.

Ehh. I can see why someone would use adjectives like bloated and unfocused, I'm not blind. there is a bit of that, but... it also could be said it was epic and grandiose.
The unfocused part could be discussed, it felt to me the plot followed a natural progression and the author just went wherever it had to go. There were some unpredictable stuff but real life also can be unpredictable.

Hunter x Hunter 131

saved anime.

And I don't think I've meant that since like Fate Zero. The best 20 minutes of a show I think I've ever seen.

There are tears in my eyes. This was beautiful. Everything.

It's like the shit pacing of the castle assault was worth it just for this moment.

I can die now happy.

Kyuur

With there being a community thread for discussing manga spoilers, I do hope some of you dudes cut down on the manga chatter. And the teasing. If not, ~rip~

Kind of makes me wish we would have had this earlier so there would be more untainted anime reactions for me to read. :( Good to see now anyways.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
See it through to the final episode of the (2011) anime. If you feel much the same, that's perfectly fine too.
This is depressing.

Also people complaining about Gon not having any nen, he lost his freaking arm too! Shit is not coming back(unless they return to Greed Island)!

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Hunter x Hunter has always hinted at how reckless and powerful gon can be. Going back to the fight with the bald head guy in the Hunter exam. He did not give a fuck about losing an arm back then. There's a reason Hisoka was fascinated by gon, and which other characters has Hisoka found fascinating?

Netero
Chrollo

Also Killua has already shown how much power you can gain by sacrificing things.

Lulubop

My hate for this power up aside, this upside was fucking fantastic.

And yes Gon has always been hinting at having amazing potential, much like every Shounen protag ever.

Jigolo

Hahahahah togashi you expect me to believe Palm, Meleron, Knuckle, and Ikalgo will take down the remaining ants....

I feel bad for the hunters, lol. damnit this fucking cliffhanger. next week needs to come now.

Should've specified. For the people complaining, it's almost like we're forgetting how Shonens have done this countless of times. If you don't like it that's a shame, but it's not like I wasn't expecting this to happen at some point.

Lulubop

Should've specified. For the people complaining, it's almost like we're forgetting how Shonens have done this countless of times. If you don't like it that's a shame, but it's not like I wasn't expecting this to happen at some point.

Well people like HxH because it doesn't do stuff like this. (Kurapika doesn't count.)

pelicansurf

There is a price to pay and it's heavy. He won't be switching it on/off like a light bulb.
Yeah, I think this is the part people aren't getting. I haven't read the manga, but the way Togashi does things, there's going to be a high fucking toll for Super Saiyan'ing. Something which no other shonen seems to do. To keep harping on it, we may even have a one armed protagonist moving forward (if at all).

It came out of nowhere, but Gon is fucked and his "career path" irrevocably de-railed. Way to go, Ging!

pelicansurf

But Yu Yu Hakusho did something similar, when it jumped the shark.
Are you sure you don't mean when it got awesome? I am kind of a sucker for completely out of left field, game changing events a la YYH or even Code Geass. Shit is cool. Since whatever vague future I thought HxH was heading to was completely obliterated.

Gon can never pull this off again. Period.

It's made pretty clear that he wasn't gaining any new power or strength; he was simply taking a loan on his potential ability with sky-high interest rates. And the story has been incredibly strict about following the established rules of Nen so far, so it's not like Gon can break that so easily.

The thing about why doesn't everyone else just do what Gon did is that, all Gon really did was forcibly age himself.

Someone like Netero who was already old as shit and past his prime would get negative effects from doing what Gon did, same for anyone else who has already reached or are near their "peak".

Gon got such a drastic increase because:
He's a young teen who doesn't even have a fully developed body, he's an enhancer who can make the most use of "pure raw aura", and he has an unreal amount of potential as said and seen constantly throughout the series.

I didn't really like it when Gon suddenly got the power of that of a king. That irked me.

But then you find out that he resolves to lose his nen and it gets a bit better...
But still, not a fan.

The thing about why doesn't everyone else just do what Gon did is that, all Gon really did was forcibly age himself.

Someone like Netero who was already old as shit and past his prime would get negative effects from doing what Gon did, same for anyone else who has already reached or are near their "peak".

Gon got such a drastic increase because:
He's a young teen who doesn't even have a fully developed body, he's an enhancer who can make the most use of "pure raw aura", and he has an unreal amount of potential as said and seen constantly throughout the series.

Noone else had the resolve that Gon did. Netero may have been sacrificing his life from the get go, but he still didn't particularly want to die. His hand was being forced. Gon just didn't care anymore. He didn't care if he lived, or died, all he wanted was to kill Pitou. At that point, there was nothing in the world he wanted more.

sorry if double post

Popnbake

Pitou got hit so hard his shoe flew off.
Damn Gon. :eek:

They did a great job animating the fight.

the demon realm shit is so much more interesting than the dark tournament.

The three kings had more interesting content going into the demon realm but it was ruined by the pacing. ):

Top Bottom