• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Gon can never pull this off again. Period.

It's made pretty clear that he wasn't gaining any new power or strength; he was simply taking a loan on his potential ability with sky-high interest rates. And the story has been incredibly strict about following the established rules of Nen so far, so it's not like Gon can break that so easily.
Man, awesome explanation.

The thing about why doesn't everyone else just do what Gon did is that, all Gon really did was forcibly age himself.

Someone like Netero who was already old as shit and past his prime would get negative effects from doing what Gon did, same for anyone else who has already reached or are near their "peak".

Gon got such a drastic increase because:
He's a young teen who doesn't even have a fully developed body, he's an enhancer who can make the most use of "pure raw aura", and he has an unreal amount of potential as said and seen constantly throughout the series.
A couple of reasons I'm assuming why people don't do this:
1) They would like to keep using nen.
2) They're already way too old / Don't want to die.
3) Opportunities to use this ridiculous power are very rare and involve being suicidal.
4) To use Silver's Analogy, whoever was in a position precarious enough to do use this power, probably would not get as big a loan due to lack of potential ie not worth it..
5) You probably have to be young/weak in order to use it to its full potential, since it's basically just a life-shortening mega hormone booster.
6) You can get strong enough by using crazy Nen Restrictions.

Noone else had the resolve that Gon did. Netero may have been sacrificing his life from the get go, but he still didn't particularly want to die. His hand was being forced. Gon just didn't care anymore. He didn't care if he lived, or died, all he wanted was to kill Pitou. At that point, there was nothing in the world he wanted more.

sorry if double post

Well yeah the only other character who we've seen that's shown such determination and rage to kill some specific person is Kurapica and he's already done his own crazy ass "I do this or I die" nen restriction.

Wow, so I really am not alone. I loved the dark tournament arc just as much as everyone else but I still enjoyed chapter black more.

we are friends.

Yay I have friends!

Well yeah the only other character who we've seen that's shown such determination and rage to kill some specific person is Kurapica and he's already done his own crazy ass "I do this or I die" nen restriction.

Kurapika doesn't actually want to die though, the restriction is there because he doesn't care or even really want to use his nen against anyone other than the Phantom troupe.
The restriction allows him to increase the power of his nen and accomplish his only goal. If he died before he finished I'm sure he would be upset.

Edit: that's how I see it anyway

Yay I have friends!

Kurapika doesn't actually want to die though, the restriction is there because he doesn't care or even really want to use his nen against anyone other than the Phantom troupe.
The restriction allows him to increase the power of his nen and accomplish his only goal. If he died before he finished I'm sure he would be upset.

Edit: that's how I see it anyway

If Kurapica only had one person to deal with and they were right in front of him it's very possible he would do what Gon did if he got pissed off enough.

He has to deal with an entire group so can't go as far as Gon.

the demon realm shit is so much more interesting than the dark tournament.

chapter black is the best arc

there i said it

Wow, so I really am not alone. I loved the dark tournament arc just as much as everyone else but I still enjoyed chapter black more.

That's way more fans I ever thought it had. Considering the other people I've heard who have said the same, you should open a fan club about demon realm.

It would have 3 members.

As to what happened on HxH it all comes down to Frieza syndrome. If the manga was far away enough I'm sure they'd introduce someone that's like "he's like the king. TIMES 10" making this change pointless. It's standard shonen manga people.

For all I know they did it, but I assume not as people keep saying it's a short arc.

Lulubop

That's way more fans I ever thought it had. Considering the other people I've heard who have said the same, you should open a fan club about demon realm.

It would have 3 members.

As to what happened on HxH it all comes down to Frieza syndrome. If the manga was far away enough I'm sure they'd introduce someone that's like "he's like the king. TIMES 10" making this change pointless. It's standard shonen manga people.

For all I know they did it, but I assume not as people keep saying it's a short arc.

But it's not standard. YYH was as formulaic as it gets but HxH has always been about not being standard. At least until this instances. Also it's pretty unlikely there will be a villain unpar with the king in terms of power, for this very reason.

Mortemis

Banned

It would have 3 members.

I haven't watched it since I was a kid and it was on toonami, but shit I'll represent that fan club any day.

The thing is that most people consider HxH not a standard shounen manga, and that's why people are mad by Gon's powerup, though I don't really consider it a cop out at all. As for your prediction for the next arc:
I don't wanna be a tease since I hate that shit too, so I'll stay quiet.

jgminto

Damn, that was amazing. I had avoided the thread because of the annoying teasing and spoilers so luckily I didn't know what to expect. If JoJo wasn't also this year that single episode probably would have won me over for the year. Even with all the pacing problems that totally made up for it.

Tuck

Super Saiyan Gon was super fucking stupid.

And this "Follow me to a new location so we can battle" is pure padding. Completely unnecessary, dull to watch and ultra cheesy. We saw it with the King, we saw it with Gon leading Pitou to Kite. Jesus fucking christ, just stop.

Killua remains awesome.

Pitou's fate was satisfying enough.

Second half of this arc has fallen pretty flat for me, I'm afraid. I still enjoy the show... but the pacing has been pretty terrible. Was it always that way? I don't think so but maybe its a case of rose-tinted glasses.

If Kurapica only had one person to deal with and they were right in front of him it's very possible he would do what Gon did if he got pissed off enough.

He has to deal with an entire group so can't go as far as Gon.

Yeah that's probably true. But that also validates it a little bit, I think.

And this "Follow me to a new location so we can battle" is pure padding. Completely unnecessary, dull to watch and ultra cheesy. We saw it with the King, we saw it with Gon leading Pitou to Kite. Jesus fucking christ, just stop.

Killua remains awesome.

Second half of this arc has fallen pretty flat for me, I'm afraid. I still enjoy the show... but the pacing has been pretty terrible. Was it always that way? I don't think so but maybe its a case of rose-tinted glasses.

what? all of those location changes were for legitimate reasons. Netero needed to separate the King from the Guards to have a shot at winning. Did you want Gon to take Kite with him to the palace and just drop him there like a rock and hope nothing happened to him?

granted, Gon wanting to lead Pitou out of the building was a little unnecessary, but even then, why does it matter that much?

How was HxH not standard though? I'm gonna need to see it. They had a system and kept expanding it.

This is like going from Dragon Ball to Dragon Ball Z.

You started with the kid with the starry eyes who wants to go and become hokage a great hunter. Then he continues to be tested as he meets stronger people than him, but everybody acknowledges how he's super special awesome in one way or another. He meets strong allies who grow with him or become another step in the ladder. He meets enemies that kill off friends and allies. There's plenty of training and the more the manga/anime passes the deeper and more complex the system of powers become. There's plenty of very strong villains in the world that they have met before but didn't defeat at first, but you know the main characters will fight and defeat them later. And now we have the scene where the protagonist gets so pissed off he awakens a super special awesome power that makes it obvious why he's the protagonist.

Yes I'm summarizing and oversimplifying the plot, but I'm doing the same for the other shows as well. These are shonen jump tropes. Hunter x Hunter isn't some holy grail of breaking writing barriers, as far as I have seen. It's very well done and arguably the better shonen action show to come out in ages. But it's not the second coming of Jesus Yamato.

If he continues the manga he'll probably go over the strongest hunters in the world and one who goes evil or something, and he's like so much stronger than the King ever was.

Tuck

Author has certainly written himself into a corner regarding power levels.

Ne has always been a really broad excuse of super-powers that look cool/advance the plot. But with this arc he really took it to another level, and I don't see how he won't end up regretting that.

Daingurse

I think what I find interesting is not Gon's potential itself, but that his potential for this power-up was always there. This kind of reckless behavior fits with Gon's personality, he has a track record of not caring about consequences.

When I first read the chapter with Gon's power up, I was all for it. It did not feel like an ass-pull, rather it felt like a logical course of action for Gon. Gon was under extreme emotional distress, is still a young kid, and has a history of impulsive, reckless behaviors. With the flexibility that Nen powers offer, I really had no issue accepting the power-up, frankly loved it. Fit the character perfectly. Can't wait to finally see this animated!

Edit: Absolutely loved it!

Tuck

Aside from going power-level insane, I didn't mind the idea of Super Saiyan Gon - when he was that black and white figure I was all for it.

But the final execution of him aging was just so stupid.

Was this what people were hyping up? Huge fucking disappointment.

what? all of those location changes were for legitimate reasons. Netero needed to separate the King from the Guards to have a shot at winning. Did you want Gon to take Kite with him to the palace and just drop him there like a rock and hope nothing happened to him?

granted, Gon wanting to lead Pitou out of the building was a little unnecessary, but even then, why does it matter that much?

Its super cheesy (Why did the King go with them? Seriously, he had no reason to). Its also terrible padding that just delays the inevitable fight as a poor way to "build up" to the awesomeness of the fight. It serves no purpose other than to extend the length of the episode.

I'll give you the one about Gon leading her to KIte though.

I like to think this isn't true, otherwise it would defeat the entire purpose for the Chimera Ant Arc in the first place.

But the point of the Chimera arc wasn't that they'd send the world's strongest hunters. It was that there was an immediate threat to the world that was growing, and they sent a tactical squad team to deal with it before it became a bigger issue, as sending every hunter to attack would alert the world. Chances are the world's strongest don't even respond to the council or w/e exists.

It was even acknowledged that Netero wasn't any longer the world's strongest Nen user among the humans.

Tuck

But the point of the Chimera arc wasn't that they'd send the world's strongest hunters. It was that there was an immediate threat to the world that was growing, and they sent a tactical squad team to deal with it before it became a bigger issue.

It was even acknowledged that Netero wasn't any longer the world's strongest Nen user among the humans.

I thought that was him being modest?

Einhander

Hunter X Hunter 131

I knew something big was going to go down in this episode, but I most certainly wasn't expecting that. It would've been nice to see
Pitou land some blows and keep the fight interesting. When he used his cut off arm to pierce it through Pitou's chest like a machete, it was gruesome. Sadly, I think this will be the first and only time we'll ever see Gon grown up. I suspect that this ability permanently affected his body in some way, shape or form, like shortening his life expectancy. About his lost arm, maybe he can get a robotic arm, if such a technology exists in the world of HxH. Even a cyborg arm where it has artificial skin over the mechanical parts.

Good lord.

there's no way we'll ever get a human character that's stronger than the King
that's what I think too

But the point of the Chimera arc wasn't that they'd send the world's strongest hunters. It was that there was an immediate threat to the world that was growing, and they sent a tactical squad team to deal with it before it became a bigger issue, as sending every hunter to attack would alert the world. Chances are the world's strongest don't even respond to the council or w/e exists.

but the point was also that the Humans can't surpass the ants in a purely physiological way, which most likely means we'll never see a
human
character nearly as strong as the king. I don't think Gon will ever transform again either.

Its super cheesy (Why did the King go with them? Seriously, he had no reason to). Its also terrible padding that just delays the inevitable fight as a poor way to "build up" to the awesomeness of the fight. It serves no purpose other than to extend the length of the episode.

I'll give you the one about Gon leading her to KIte though.

That's what Zeno's Dragon Dive was for though. It was supposed to help them separate them. I get what you mean about the King not needing to go with them, but he was trying to solve this without fighting at that point and he thought that complying with the enemy would help get on their good side I guess. Idk though, that one is up in the air.

edit: I think if Knov hadn't been such a wuss this wouldn't have been as much of a problem

point? That wasn't a "point", it's just something they did.

The "point" of the battle between Netero and the King is that despite the natural physical advantages the Ants have over humanity(that would normally give them the win in the animal kingdom) it doesn't matter as we have overcome our physical limitations via our collective knowledge as a species.

Netero is still likely the most powerful human during the time of the invasion.

How would you know that? All the evidence provided says that he wasn't at his prime and that yes at one point he was the strongest user. But he himself acknowledged he wasn't the strongest any longer.

That's the set-up. If the manga had been running from this entire time you bet jurassic that with what they provided that there'd be a huge arc that shows how there's a group of hunters that don't play by anybody's rules that are super strong, but they keep to themselves or something.

How strong is Gon's dad anyways? Do we even know?

Jesus Frieza was the strongest being in the universe. And when they beat him Cell appeared out of nothing and he's like 20 friezas, and everybody in the main cast is stronger than him. Shonen action has to keep one upping itself, look at what made Bleach crash and burn. I think some folks here are too innocent if they think it won't end up going this way eventually.

All this talk about who is strongest and we forget about one of the core tenets of HxH: unless the gap is immensely insurmountable, the strongest is not always the winner. Case in point: this very episode.

Jesus Frieza was the strongest being in the universe. And when they beat him Cell appeared out of nothing and he's like 20 friezas, and everybody in the main cast is stronger than him. Shonen action has to keep one upping itself, look at what made Bleach crash and burn. I think some folks here are too innocent if they think it won't end up going this way eventually.

when does it ever say that anyway

also whatever heliosRAzi said

Lulubop

How would you know that? All the evidence provided says that he wasn't at his prime and that yes at one point he was the strongest user. But he himself acknowledged he wasn't the strongest any longer.

That's the set-up. If the manga had been running from this entire time you bet jurassic that with what they provided that there'd be a huge arc that shows how there's a group of hunters that don't play by anybody's rules that are super strong, but they keep to themselves or something.

Netero never said he wasn't, just that he was 50 years past his prime. without getting into spoilers it's never implied that he isn't still the strongest. Gon used his entire potential to be on par with the King, something that is never going to happen again. This Freeza scenario is not going to happen. Period. Not just because of that either. HxH has always been notable for not following shounen conventions and when it does, it happens in ways like it did with Gon's transformation (which is one of the only instances this happens). This is why people like it, if you can't see that then I don't know what to tell you.

Tuck

All this talk about who is strongest and we forget about one of the core tenets of HxH: unless the gap is immensely insurmountable, the strongest is not always the winner. Case in point: this very episode.
But... Gon did win? Entirely because of his power boost?

bruh I've seen damn near every action shounen under the sun, it doesn't matter how they do things, it has no bearing on HxH or any other show.

if anything you are way too cynical, judge the show for what it is, not for how some other show did something.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Holy fucking shit I'm speechless. Just fucking beautiful. Madhouse did such an incredible job animating this, even surpassing the manga by a lot. I mean, Gon looked already intimidating in the manga, but on the anime he's intimidating x 100. Absolutely stellar episode and worth the fucking wait. They delivered. Bravo.

Kieli

Bleach power levels is just all over the place (literally).

----------

With regards to those saying why others couldn't do what Gon did, well... I don't think everyone has a complete lack of self-preservation like Gon.

Moreover, say Leorio does decide to sacrifice his life-energy to become stronger. Look at his potential... at best, he's going to become 35-year old Leorio. Big whoop.

Gon and Killua are a part of a special breed; Pitou even comments on this as she's dying...

So yeah.

But none of you are telling me what exactly it is that makes the show fresh or unique. You're just telling me that it is and that, besides evidence to prove otherwise from every other Shonen anime including the authors previous work, you believe it won't follow these tropes. Even though it has done many others. I'm judging the show based on good writing and world building and a great power system, but it has followed tropes nonetheless.

I understand if you love the show. I like it too. But this is like asking a The Wire fan what makes the show so great and they just scoff at you and tell you that it is because they know it is and critics tell them that it is.

RangerBAD

I didn't really expect what happened in episode 131.
It was a pretty dramatic change to me at least, but it's pretty short lived.
I don't read the manga (what's the point with all the current and incoming hiatus), so I don't really know what's going to happen next.
Sort of feels like Yu Yu Hakusho stuff in a way. It changed dramatically after a point just like this.

K1LLER7

Just finished the latest episode, was not expecting that :O

The whole build up to the moment and the music just before & during Gon's
transformation
was perfect (not a fan of the hair(?) though). Animation was awsome, thought the fight would be a little longer lol, but the ending and overall episode were great. One of the best in the series imo. Wonder how things would've turned out if it was Gon vs The King instead.

No idea what will happen now. Can't wait for next week!!!

Daingurse

If it were not for Killua Gon would be dead..... even though he was stronger than Pitou. Her nen was used in a creative ass way after her death.

We were told of nen's power to transcend life itself, and persist after death, it was stunning to see. It came across as terrifying in the manga, but I really loved the way it was adapted here too.

Kieli

If it were not for Killua Gon would be dead..... even though he was stronger than Pitou. Her nen was used in a creative ass way after her death.

I doubt Terspichora Pitou could have killed Gon. He knew she was gunning for him, and let her cut off his arm.

Jigolo

I doubt Terspichora Pitou could have killed Gon. He knew she was gunning for him, and let her cut off his arm.
He was ready to die. He knew she was coming but he wouldn't have moved and Pitou would've pierced through Gon's chest. He didn't care

when does it ever say that anyway

also whatever heliosRAzi said
He was the emperor of space or some shit wasn't he? The only other being stronger than him at the time was his brother, who also got beaten. Point is he destroyed a whole planet because fuck them. Nobody else at the time could've done that if memory serves correctly. Point was that every time there's a "strongest being ever" in Shonen action the next one is much stronger.

But... Gon did win? Entirely because of his power boost?

Gon leveled so much, Pitou could not overcome the vast difference in power like a real ant not being able to stop a boot from crushing it. Gon was able to close the gap and completely trounce Pitou because of the condition he placed on himself, a condition nobody in their right mind would even attempt to do let alone have the willpower to go through with it.

Zaptruder

Banned

Killua remains awesome.

What the transition changed showed was that Gon still retained his presence of mind. He wasn't berserk, even though the transformation made him look like he'd totally lost it.

Top Bottom