• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

As fun as it was to have finally ep where something really meaningful happens I was kinda let down. After all that build up the battle was too one sided. Couple of moves and that's it. Also I am still finding it really hard to care so much about what happened to Kite. He didn't have enough screen time to get me emotionally invested in his destiny.

MCD

As fun as it was to have finally ep where something really meaningful happens I was kinda let down. After all that build up the battle was too one sided. Couple of moves and that's it. Also I am still finding it really hard to care so much about what happened to Kite. He didn't have enough screen time to get me emotionally invested in his destiny.

I read somewhere here that they omitted the part with Kite teaching Gon about Hunters and his father.

What a piece of garbage.

A fitting ending to a terrible arc. I really miss the writting style of Hunter Exam / Yorkshin.

Hell, even the Arena arc with all that overloading Nen mumbojumbo and that annoying "Deceitful sloppy guy lemme-fix-my-glasses" teacher was better than this.

Unfortunately, I think that is a PONR for the series. Probably we'll have to wait for more super powers and earth-destructing fights with guys surrounded by ki flying everywhere.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I feel kind of bad for people who aren't enjoying/loving this show. Do you kick puppies too!?

Figurine is awesome though.

I read somewhere here that they omitted the part with Kite teaching Gon about Hunters and his father.

Well any extra time would have helped at least a bit. Now it just seems little weird and out of character for me how Gon is willing to lose everything to take revenge for a guy he knew for something like a week. Especially when before this it seemed that he was rather okay with the fact that you can die in battle.

It's been a few years since I've watched anime at all. I think the last anime I've seen was Puella Magi Madoka Magica back in '11. Just a few weeks ago I was itching to watch some anime, and I was looking through some of the top animes on a few sites. For whatever reason, Hunter x Hunter's cover stood out to me because it had this old anime style look to it. I was more interested in why so many people liked this anime over wanting to watch it. I had no prior knowledge about it being a remake of an old anime, but I still gave it a shot. 3 weeks later and I've watched all 131 episodes... I guess you could say I'm a little obsessed now.

It's like watching all of my favorite anime's as kid all rolled up into one awesome anime. I decided not to read the manga just to keep some sort of surprise for the next episodes.

Episode 131 blew my mind. I still don't understand how that happened... and by that I mean
Gon's transformation
. It'd be awesome if someone could explain it to me.

Philippo

I can't even express myself, yo this shit was a pure work of art.
The colors, the pacing, the soundtrack, the fucking brutality, those silent exchanges between Gon and Killua... you teased me Gaf, i thought i was prepared but ultimately i understimated the powerful of these scene.
If i ever had any doubt in the past, now this is definitely my favorite anime ever.
I can understand the complaints, but to me it felt completely in tone with the rest of the arc and the series in general, and i'm sure Togashi will put some crazy compromises to allow Gon to get his nen back (like restarting all his auro growth and training from zero, maybe he'll even get a change of category?).
Also, bonus to Killua for keep on being the emotional deliverer of the show (that Pouf attack too, so badass), i fear the ripercussions this will have on him.

God, i'm still so astonished i could write an essay on this episode.

:3, saraba mai waifu

Best waifu ever, you'll be missed :(

Gon x Beast Mode

rNH1oDd.gif

I don't know why but the first thing i thought was Dark Souls.

Jigolo

oh god that kick is so brutal. pitou struggles to breathe after that whole time and it's agonizing to watch.

This episode is so freaking incredible. There are so many moments to GIF

upandaway

oh god that kick is so brutal. pitou struggles to breathe after that whole time and it's agonizing to watch.

This episode is so freaking incredible. There are so many moments to GIF
It's pretty crazy by itself but even crazier in the context of the arc and what the ants showed before. Hell Pitou didn't even die until he Jajanken'd like 20 times to the face.

Any of the hunters so far would've been out after 1 of those by normal Gon

No, it was moved up but not omitted.
Parts of it were definitely edited.
If anyone is interested, it's just the first chapter of the manga (doesn't Viz have that for free online?).

The whole episode, what Gon did was incredibly impactful and sorrowful as it's a twist on the usual power up: instead of the main character powering up and beating the big boss, you have Gon powering up because he wants to die like Kaito, and uses his power against the bodyguard of the boss, who himself dies happily the King.

It's basically a commentary on Gon throwing away his life for something objectively useless, but subjectively important: his redemption, and it's supposed to be a "oh fuck, this is too sad to bear moment" , not a "he beat him! HELL YEAH!!!!!" moment.

I really like how Pitou becomes an almost maternal character in the very end, yet is killed for murdering Gon's father figure. All the while, he's breaking the heart of the person closest to him.

The chimera arc is filled with irony and the themes, it's very well written.

Decent start and memorable last three minutes. Much of the middle was pretty dull with typical writing issues present
like random unexplained powerup de novo just appearing conveniently and subconsciously, character embracing impure motive that makes one want to support anyone else but him (thoughtless ruthless revenge and murder even after Pitou apologized is just plain cruel), and just really dragged out moments focusing on random leaves being blown away or walking slowly. I like characters getting powerups from friendship and teamwork or at least training and such, like Killua showed, Gon's is just the type I dont like in series. Being powered by bad vibes just doesnt sit well with me

GODSPEED Killua deserves an award. He delivered many of the actually great moments making me get all emotional at the thought of him seeing his friend go through this weird situation and take on such an atrocious form that no doubt has consequences, and the arm too. I hope he can go on an arc to help get Gon back to normal, certainly some nenmaster can reverse the effects and regenerate his arm and youthful self? Killua's va needs best fem va performance of the year award too.

andymcc

Banned

(thoughtless ruthless revenge and murder even after Pitou apologized is just plain cruel),

Pitou literally tried to chop his head off right before his attack. Was he supposed to grab her by the hand, force another apology and then join his shonen team fun and adventure brigade for the rest of the series?

Pitou literally tried to chop his head off right before his attack. Was he supposed to grab her by the hand, force another apology and then join his shonen team fun and adventure brigade for the rest of the series?

He didnt need to do his jankan punch to squash her head in. I think Killua even thought it was too much. I think he could have just spooked her off from trying again and she would have left.

andymcc

Banned
He didnt need to do his jankan punch to squash her head in. I think Killua even thought it was too much. I think he could have just spooked her off from trying again and she would have left.

she is biologically aggressive to any sort of being that would pose any sort of threat to her king. Gon, at that point, was stronger than the king. She is going to try to kill him no matter what (ex. her Nen still tried to kill him even though her brain was effectively destroyed).

OmegaX

Are you even watching the same anime as the rest of us or are you just muting everything except Killua's lines? ]
Pitou herself had already decided to murder Gon the second she was certain that Komugi was safe. She was convinced that Gon was a threat to the King and nothing, not even death, would stop her from trying to eliminate him. There was no way that she would have just run off from her duty.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
All I want is Gon to rip Pitou's fucking head off. I can wait 50 more episodes as long as that happens.

PITOU, TIME TO FACE THE MUSIC

tumblr_mxau1jnJHl1t3v1cuo3_500.gif

tumblr_mzrzdiLvQ91r3ifxzo2_250.gif

tumblr_mzrzdiLvQ91r3ifxzo3_250.gif

Fuck

Yes

Pitou, it's time to die.

And the wait for Gon to punch the fuck out of Pitou continues.

Obnoxious recap aside, this episode might be my favorite on this arc. But I still have some blue balls.

FIGHT ALREADY

When Gon was starting his Jajanken I was like

gaijin4koma2_peersblog_1200684608.jpg

"Gon I'm a wimpy prissy and wah wah we can't kill Pitou because reason"

gaijin4koma_peersblog_1200684654.jpg

If Gon doesn't go full ham on Pitou then this arc can go fuck itself.

3h3WRAl.png

LtNDbKz.png

tumblr_n67d0h5kCO1tufbypo1_1280.jpg

Philippo

What exactly did Gon give up that resulted in his transformation?

Most surely all of his aura, possibly a lot of his muscles destroyed by the rapid grow, maybe his nen distribution channels (don't know how to call it srry) is damaged as well.
Oh, and a missing arm as extra.

upandaway

Most surely all of his aura, possibly a lot of his muscles destroyed by the rapid grow, maybe his nen distribution channels (don't know how to call it srry) is damaged as well.
Oh, and a missing arm as extra.
I don't think anything was destroyed as a result of his growth (physically or otherwise). Pretty sure he's very healthy in that form. He did give something up though, in a literal sense, to get that growth.

If what he gave up is enough to maintain that form forever, he won't suffer any consequences beyond the initial condition.

We don't know yet. Killua and Pitou both assumed that it's something close to losing his nen or his life.

Yeah, that's what confused me the most. I thought they said it was Nen he gave up. If he gave up his nen, he wouldn't be able to use his Jajanken, right?

I thought it was definite thing when both, Pitou and Killua, assumed he gave up his Nen. It's a bit of a relief to know we still don't know what it is for sure.

Kieli

I think Pitou already died/was dying after the first Jajanken. It's just that it takes Gon a bunch more to smash her skull (which is crazy).

VariantX

No. That simply wasn't going to happen. Pitou had 100% intentions of killing Gon once she identified him as a threat to the king while she was fixing up the girl.
When Gon cashed in his remaining years of life and potential just to obtain the power (equal to the king) to kill Pitou it only confirmed the suspicions she had earlier. Not to mention that her nen, even after getting killed by Gon, still was trying to kill him

Jigolo

I think Pitou already died/was dying after the first Jajanken. It's just that it takes Gon a bunch more to smash her skull (which is crazy).
That's the way I see it too. He was beating a dead horse basically. Then when Killua got there he referred back to the moment when him and Killua faced those 3 ants along with Kite.

Radec

Yeah, that's what confused me the most. I thought they said it was Nen he gave up. If he gave up his nen, he wouldn't be able to use his Jajanken, right?

I thought it was definite thing when both, Pitou and Killua, assumed he gave up his Nen. It's a bit of a relief to know we still don't know what it is for sure.

He can still use Nen if the condition he imposed to himself is to give up his Nen after he kills Pitou.

This is almost the same as with Kurapika that he cannot use his chains to someone other than the Ryodan.

Vengeance is served

I have literally been lurking this thread long enough to see you make ALL of those comments.

Feels soooooo good to finally see Pitou get her card punched. SO GOOD. I have no words to describe my joy.

But then, Gon is in a bad place. Homie was ready to go out like Kite. Killua is now on lifeguard duty.

Gon x Beast Mode

rNH1oDd.gif

I uhhh ... I can't be the only one seeing the Anti-Spiral here, am I?

G.ZZZ

See it through to the final episode of the (2011) anime. If you feel much the same, that's perfectly fine too.

I say this by having read the manga. It's the only bad part in all the arc, and it stink even more when you read the actual resolution of the arc that is perfect imho. I understand that Gon had to "save" himself, but there could've been ten thousand different ways to do it that would've felt less "deus ex". Ant arc is still by far my favourite in HxH because of all the different themes in it (human vs ant, selflessness vs selfishness etc...)

Philippo

I don't think anything was destroyed as a result of his growth (physically or otherwise). Pretty sure he's very healthy in that form. He did give something up though, in a literal sense, to get that growth.

If what he gave up is enough to maintain that form forever, he won't suffer any consequences beyond the initial condition.

No way he won't suffer some physical inability for sometime, kid grew of 20+ years in a minute and unintentionally, obviously his muscles must have ripped apart, it's not like Bisky who can control it. I heard the next arc is rather short, so maybe he'll stay at rest/coma during it. Anyway, i'm sure Togashi will make his reabilitation long and hard.

RangerBAD

No way he won't suffer some physical inability for sometime, kid grew of 20+ years in a minute and unintentionally, obviously his muscles must have ripped apart, it's not like Bisky who can control it. I heard the next arc is rather short, so maybe he'll stay at rest/coma during it. Anyway, i'm sure Togashi will make his reabilitation long and hard.

I think Togashi's rehabilitation is far worse. lol

upandaway

Well wait a second. His growth is completely natural, the fact it happened in a minute is physically identical to as if literally the time froze and he sat there for that amount of time. There are no side effects to what he did to his body. The only compromise to him will be what his initial sacrifice was that enabled the growth, and that's it.

Theoretically (though it's impossible), if Gon did this growth without sacrificing anything, or if right now someone made Gon's sacrifice not apply to him but still keep the result of the trade, then Gon will continue being healthy and sound in this grown up state, no downsides.

Philippo

Well wait a second. His growth is completely natural, the fact it happened in a minute is physically identical to as if literally the time froze and he sat there for that amount of time. There are no side effects to what he did to his body. The only compromise to him will be what his initial sacrifice was that enabled the growth, and that's it.

Theoretically (though it's impossible), if Gon did this growth without sacrificing anything, or if right now someone made Gon's sacrifice not apply to him but still keep the result of the trade, then Gon will continue being healthy and sound in this grown up state, no downsides.

Mmh yeah this makes sense, but he'll have to go back to his previous state, and that's something muscles usually don't do.

Also are we sure Gon actually put a condition like Kurapika? Or maybe is something else?

Tuck

I think people are putting too much thought into super saiyan gon... It happened because plot. Nen is so broad and lenient in its mechanics that anything that the author wants to happen can be explained with ease. Guess I can't fault people for doing so, but it just seems like hunter x hunter, like a lot of anime, isn't something you should get too hung up on the mechanics with.

upandaway

Mmh yeah this makes sense, but he'll have to go back to his previous state, and that's something muscles usually don't do.
There's no guarantee that this isn't a one way trip, but even if it isn't, and say Gon will go back to his normal body as a natural part of this effect, that will be flawlessly executed too with no side effects to his body. That's the whole point. If it can grow him by decades, it can also make him younger by decades. It's all in sacrificing something equal, but the ability itself is clean.

Also are we sure Gon actually put a condition like Kurapika? Or maybe is something else?
Not sure what you mean there. Either he gave something up for this or he didn't, and like Killua said, that's way too much for an ability with no conditions, he clearly did.

RangerBAD

Every time someone makes fun of Togashi's work ethic, he delays the next chapter by another year. :3

Don't look at me!

I think people are putting too much thought into super saiyan gon... It happened because plot. Nen is so broad and lenient in its mechanics that anything that the author wants to happen can be explained with ease. Guess I can't fault people for doing so, but it just seems like hunter x hunter, like a lot of anime, isn't something you should get too hung up on the mechanics with.

I thought of Yu Yu Hakusho, but it's a shounen thing and Toriyama proliferated it for sure.

Top Bottom