• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

Jex

Ehh. I can see why someone would use adjectives like bloated and unfocused, I'm not blind. there is a bit of that, but... it also could be said it was epic and grandiose.
The unfocused part could be discussed, it felt to me the plot followed a natural progression and the author just went wherever it had to go. There were some unpredictable stuff but real life also can be unpredictable.

The problem with the way Togashi wrote this arc is that he didn't decide what element of the story was important. Is it Gon and Killua's training and experiences? Is it Gon and Kite's relationship? Is it about the Queen? Or about Ramont seeking to be a powerful warrior? Colt's attempt to find some humanity? What about Palm, Knuckle, Shoot, Morel, Knov, Meleoron, Cheetu, Kougami and Welfin etc etc etc.

Togashi tells this story as if each of these characters is equally important and awards them insane amounts of storytime but when you're trying to tell any kind of story you can't simultaneously tell the tale from the perspective of 40 different characters. You actually have to chose which story and which characters are really important and worth focusing on but Togashi refuses to do that this arc and instead tells the story of every single character who happens to be involved.

But that doesn't work, not all the characters are created equal and you can't make us care about all of them, nor should you try to. We've all reacted very well to the 'big' events in this arc but they're few and far between because the story is filled with enormous amounts of dead weight. You can cut half these characters/fights out of the arc and it would make no difference to the major events involving of Gon, Killua, the King etc. We actually don't need to see what the Phantom Troupe are up to, or Morel vs Cheetu or Leol and we definitely don't need to see Ikalgo vs anyone. It's all part of the bloat that seeps from every pore of this arc.

Not that the story itself has much momentum anyway considering how uneven the pacing is. We move from a lengthy investigation phase, to a build of tension, to training, then fighting, then lots more training to the infamous attack on the palace.

The anime adaptation, of course, certainly hasn't helped matters by dragging out dozens of episodes with really obvious padding e.g. flashbacks, scenes that go on about 10 seconds longer than they need to, more pointless narration then you can waive a stick at etc etc. Last week 16 or so pages of manga (which takes about 1 minute to read) became 20 minutes of anime. That was just one example of many unnecessary steps taken with this adaptation.

Kyuur

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. There is no doubt there have been pacing issues here and there in the adaptation, but story-wise I enjoy the multiple perspectives and details that are shown throughout this arc. I am not of the opinion that everything that happens needs to progress the story forward in a large series like HxH. I enjoy things like the Phantom Troupe and Morel vs Cheetu for seeing the world built (how is Nen used by people other than our primary protagonists and antagonists?).

I would see this, as Turin said, as epic and grandoise. Each plot thread is carried through from beginning to completion, and I enjoy every moment of it. I don't find myself, like some others do, simply waiting for them to shift to Gon/Killua/Netero/Mureum's storylines. It's just a difference of opinion, not some golden rule of storytelling.

DominoKid

The problem with the way Togashi wrote this arc is that he didn't decide what element of the story was important. Is it Gon and Killua's training and experiences? Is it Gon and Kite's relationship? Is it about the Queen? Or about Ramont seeking to be a powerful warrior? Colt's attempt to find some humanity? What about Palm, Knuckle, Shoot, Morel, Knov, Meleoron, Cheetu, Kougami and Welfin etc etc etc.

Togashi tells this story as if each of these characters is equally important and awards them insane amounts of storytime but when you're trying to tell any kind of story you can't simultaneously tell the tale from the perspective of 40 different characters. You actually have to chose which story and which characters are really important and worth focusing on but Togashi refuses to do that this arc and instead tells the story of every single character who happens to be involved.

But that doesn't work, not all the characters are created equal and you can't make us care about all of them, nor should you try to. We've all reacted very well to the 'big' events in this arc but they're few and far between because the story is filled with enormous amounts of dead weight. You can cut half these characters/fights out of the arc and it would make no difference to the major events involving of Gon, Killua, the King etc. We actually don't need to see what the Phantom Troupe are up to, or Morel vs Cheetu or Leol and we definitely don't need to see Ikalgo vs anyone. It's all part of the bloat that seeps from every pore of this arc.

Not that the story itself has much momentum anyway considering how uneven the pacing is. We move from a lengthy investigation phase, to a build of tension, to training, then fighting, then lots more training to the infamous attack on the palace.

The anime adaptation, of course, certainly hasn't helped matters by dragging out dozens of episodes with really obvious padding e.g. flashbacks, scenes that go on about 10 seconds longer than they need to, more pointless narration then you can waive a stick at etc etc. Last week 16 or so pages of manga (which takes about 1 minute to read) became 20 minutes of anime. That was just one example of many unnecessary steps taken with this adaptation.

Yeah while I was catching up on this arc there were many parts where I just wanted them to get back to the main players.

It's not that the parts they used to flesh out the story were bad. As much as I disliked whenever they focused on Welfin, I enjoyed his "fight" w/ Ikalgo. But in the grand scheme it's just not really important.

The Phantom Troupe episodes in this arc were pretty good though.

Started this last week and finally got caught up. The tone for this anime changed so fast. So far yorknew arc is my favorite, the one right now is alright. It was a lot to sit through but wasn't as bad.

jboPz4UM4rlZLO.jpg

some fun pics were released back when uber gon happened in the manga.

This right here is one of my favorite pictures to come from the Gon transformation when it happened in the manga.

Ha! I usually only hang around in the gaming of this site. Time to venture out more I guess.

I thought the latest episode was done amazingly well. I think for the most part this anime has done a good to great job on all the scenes I wanted to see animated. I honestly hope the anime stops at the next arc. Its pretty much a perfect stopping point. They can resume once Togashi puts out more chapters. Useless filler would lead to nothing as another hiatus is inevitable. Only when is the real question.

Anyway if this is ever licensed here in USA; I will buy it in a heartbeat.

Ninjimbo

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. There is no doubt there have been pacing issues here and there in the adaptation, but story-wise I enjoy the multiple perspectives and details that are shown throughout this arc. I am not of the opinion that everything that happens needs to progress the story forward in a large series like HxH. I enjoy things like the Phantom Troupe and Morel vs Cheetu for seeing the world built (how is Nen used by people other than our primary protagonists and antagonists?).

I would see this, as Turin said, as epic and grandoise. Each plot thread is carried through from beginning to completion, and I enjoy every moment of it. I don't find myself, like some others do, simply waiting for them to shift to Gon/Killua/Netero/Mureum's storylines. It's just a difference of opinion, not some golden rule of storytelling.
I'm with you. I was able to marathon most of the series so maybe I don't count, but I haven't felt the show drag at all. I've been watching weekly for a couple of months now and not a single episode has felt like it was wasted. Even the episodes that focus on the other characters like the Phantom Troupe were great to me. The Chimeras were perceived as a global threat, so I thought it was awesome to see that threat carried out and then get extinguished by the Phantoms. It made the world seem bigger and it showed just how underhanded Netero and his group truly were.

I get the people who want to see Pito vs Gon and I understand how that might screw with a person's patience, but I've enjoyed this whole arc. God-Tier Arc all the way.

LogicStep

The whole episode, what Gon did was incredibly impactful and sorrowful as it's a twist on the usual power up: instead of the main character powering up and beating the big boss, you have Gon powering up because he wants to die like Kaito, and uses his power against the bodyguard of the boss, who himself dies happily the King.

It's basically a commentary on Gon throwing away his life for something objectively useless, but subjectively important: his redemption, and it's supposed to be a "oh fuck, this is too sad to bear moment" , not a "he beat him! HELL YEAH!!!!!" moment.

I really like how Pitou becomes an almost maternal character in the very end, yet is killed for murdering Gon's father figure. All the while, he's breaking the heart of the person closest to him.

The chimera arc is filled with irony and the themes, it's very well written.

I can't even express myself, yo this shit was a pure work of art.
The colors, the pacing, the soundtrack, the fucking brutality, those silent exchanges between Gon and Killua... you teased me Gaf, i thought i was prepared but ultimately i understimated the powerful of these scene.
If i ever had any doubt in the past, now this is definitely my favorite anime ever.
I can understand the complaints, but to me it felt completely in tone with the rest of the arc and the series in general, and i'm sure Togashi will put some crazy compromises to allow Gon to get his nen back (like restarting all his auro growth and training from zero, maybe he'll even get a change of category?).
Also, bonus to Killua for keep on being the emotional deliverer of the show (that Pouf attack too, so badass), i fear the ripercussions this will have on him.

God, i'm still so astonished i could write an essay on this episode.

Best waifu ever, you'll be missed :(

I don't know why but the first thing i thought was Dark Souls.

I agree with these two. Episode was fucking boss. Best anime ever. That shit was so satisfying. I've watched it like 4 times now. So good.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
It's been over 24 hours since I watched that episode and I'm stil kinda shook.

My little brother didn't enjoy it as much as I did. He kept repeating that the transformation was "weird". But, honestly, I think it was amazing - and exactly what Togashi was leading up to. Obviously I still have to learn about the consequences before deciding if I actually liked the whole thing or not, but the episode itself was one of the best in anime history. So many great scenes, filled to the brim with all kinds of emotions. Holy fucking shit.

I was browsing through the Crunchyroll thumbnails for each episode in the show and I can't believe how far we've come. Considering the length of the Chimera Ant arc, too... I barely even remember Kurapika or Leorio.

I'm not sure if I'm thankful for being able to watch this adaptation of the source material first (instead of reading Togashi's scribbles), or if I'm disappointed at myself for having avoided the series previously. I love each and every arc in this show, and all of them for completely different reasons. Hopefully the next arc will move forward with this trend.

(I bought all the manga volumes released so far over the past few weeks. It's getting hard not to unseal volumes 29 through 32...)

Philippo

But where did Pitou's shoes go?

Btw wether Pitou's genderless or not, they sure gave a pair of noticeable breast (especially in this episode the first time she attacks Gon).

Also, would have liked an older VA to further show Gon's growth, i mean he was in his late 20's-30's.

I am so tempted to buy the manga to find out what the explanation for the transformation is and the repercussions on Gon, but I love the anime so much.

Has anyone started with the anime and then switched to the manga as their lead source of material? If so, is it worth doing or should I just stick with the anime????

Togashi's god awful drawing style does keep putting me off

MCD

I am so tempted to buy the manga to find out what the explanation for the transformation is and the repercussions on Gon, but I love the anime so much.

Has anyone started with the anime and then switched to the manga as their lead source of material? If so, is it worth doing or should I just stick with the anime????

Togashi's god awful drawing style does keep putting me off

I would go manga once they stop the anime.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Yeah I'm buying more volumes at Barnes and Noble, they're 40% off there

Yeah, I bought all 32 this morning immediately after you posted this. It was $172ish. Not bad. I wanted to buy a really nice knife (around $180), but this'll be just as good.

Kieli

Somebody (again, on Le Reddit) estimated that Gon was ~39 years old post-super saiyan.

Something about assuming if he's 183cm, how his hair is double-length of his height (based on figurine and a rough comparison to manga), how hair (in general) grows on average about 1.25cm/month.

So it takes 24.4 years to grow that much + 14 years old = 38.4 = 39 years old.

Makes sense (I think it's quite a reasonable age).

andymcc

Banned
Somebody (again, on Le Reddit) estimated that Gon was ~39 years old post-super saiyan.

Something about assuming if he's 183cm, how his hair is double-length of his height (based on figurine and a rough comparison to manga), how hair (in general) grows on average about 1.25cm/year.

So it takes 24.4 years to grow that much + 14 years old = 38.4 = 39 years old.

Makes sense.

I'm sure that Togashi painfully calculated the hair length to be like that rather than it being an artistically creative representation.

Kieli

I'm sure that Togashi painfully calculated the hair length to be like that rather than it be him taking an artistically creative representation.

You have just ethered every literature department in every University everywhere.

How do you feel, you monster.

Togashi is actually a pretty damn good artist when he feels like it. Too bad the times he feels like it are few and far between..

Also founded this post on AP forums from 2012 giving a comprehensive view as to why Man Gon is inline with Gon's development in this arc:

http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t=34380&page=153&p=2691112&viewfull=1#post2691112

Definitely an interesting take

It is, but the conclusion to that post is kindof quite a spoiler for the anime people at the moment :|

Moaradin

Togashi is actually a pretty damn good artist when he feels like it. Too bad the times he feels like it are few and far between..

Also founded this post on AP forums from 2012 giving a comprehensive view as to why Man Gon is inline with Gon's development in this arc:

http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t=34380&page=153&p=2691112&viewfull=1#post2691112

That's good but it does have some future spoilers at the end there. Beware.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
What exactly did Gon give up that resulted in his transformation?
Well, in the chapter it is explicitly stated that he can never use Nen again and he threw away all of his potential (which is a huge loss) and used his life force too. Basically at this point Gon is fucked for life, worse than Kurapika.

Kieli

I like the "restrictions" system. It's cool to add little conditions to your suite that, when fulfilled, enhance your stats/dmg.

I'm still not so hot on the fact that it allows you to punch way above your weight class, even given the sacrifices. *shrugs*

upandaway

I just hope you won't hit any random manga spoilers by searching for it, it might be better to hold off on it for now just to be safe. It should be ok but y'know.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

Edit: Possible spoiler towards the end

For anyone wondering, only the last link of this post is a spoiler. The rest is completely fine.

Top Bottom