• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

Philippo

I just hope you won't hit any random manga spoilers by searching for it, it might be better to hold off on it for now just to be safe. It should be ok but y'know.

Yeah i saw some small pages from the manga, of course by not clicking on them i didn't see nothing, phew.

Anyway, i was wondering why nobody blatantly told Gon Kaito was dead when they first showed his corpse to the kid? I mean it was already pretty obvious by then, and it would have prevented Gon from a breakout.

Kyuur

Yeah i saw some small pages from the manga, of course by not clicking on them i didn't see nothing, phew.

Anyway, i was wondering why nobody blatantly told Gon Kaito was dead when they first showed his corpse to the kid? I mean it was already pretty obvious by then, and it would have prevented Gon from a breakout.

Was he obviously dead? We only saw his head dismembered, the characters did not. I think Nen is capable of controlling an alive person like that.

The difference between optimism and denial can be quite a fine line, indeed.

Philippo

Was he obviously dead? We only saw his head dismembered, the characters did not. I think Nen is capable of controlling an alive person like that.

Yeah, i mean here the guy is already a fucking zombie. And even if they had doubts, they could have easily try to feel his heartbeat.
I guess it's just a plot mechanism, normally anyone would have tried to tell it to Gon, instead of listening to him going "I'll save him" for 50 episodes.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Seems (character name spoiler)
Alluka
's design has been leaked. Looks a bit different from what I saw from the manga (lamer color scheme?), but it's not bad. Excited he/she will finally be introduced though, the final spoiler I know about.

Yeah, i mean here the guy is already a fucking zombie. And even if they had doubts, they could have easily try to feel his heartbeat.
I guess it's just a plot mechanism, normally anyone would have tried to tell it to Gon, instead of listening to him going "I'll save him" for 50 episodes.

this video reminds me, In order to use Hotel Rafflesia, does Shoot have to strike the opponent with his actual arm, or can he use his Nen hands to do it? I've never been able to tell with the information we have, although I'm not sure if we know at this point.

I guess all publicity is good publicity lol

Yonafunu

this video reminds me, In order to use Hotel Rafflesia, does Shoot have to strike the opponent with his actual arm, or can he use his Nen hands to do it? I've never been able to tell with the information we have, although I'm not sure if we know at this point.

His Nen hands are good. He uses them to seal Youpi's eye, remember?

shira

giphy.gif

I hope Machi is not busy

Philippo

And you reminded me of another thing: is it ever explained what the fuck are those hands? Are they nen-related? Are they... i don't even know what to think of them.

His Nen hands are good. He uses them to seal Youpi's eye, remember?

In the anime, it shows him touching Youpi's eye with his actual arm, and in the manga, we don't see which one he gets hit with :/

And you reminded me of another thing: is it ever explained what the fuck are those hands? Are they nen-related? Are they... i don't even know what to think of them.
the wiki says they're made of nen, but idk how reliable that is

giphy.gif

I hope Machi is not busy

Machi is one of my favorite Troupe members. Those Nen threads tho.

What else would they be? He wasn't born with 5 different hands.

.....probably

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'd be interested in exploring a little bit of Shoot's backstory. I'm wondering if he lost his arm before he discovered Nen, and that drove him to create the Nen ability he has, or if he sacrificed his arm in order to obtain the Nen he has, or if he just lost his arm after he already created the ability

Jex

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. There is no doubt there have been pacing issues here and there in the adaptation, but story-wise I enjoy the multiple perspectives and details that are shown throughout this arc. I am not of the opinion that everything that happens needs to progress the story forward in a large series like HxH. I enjoy things like the Phantom Troupe and Morel vs Cheetu for seeing the world built (how is Nen used by people other than our primary protagonists and antagonists?).

I would see this, as Turin said, as epic and grandoise. Each plot thread is carried through from beginning to completion, and I enjoy every moment of it. I don't find myself, like some others do, simply waiting for them to shift to Gon/Killua/Netero/Mureum's storylines. It's just a difference of opinion, not some golden rule of storytelling.

The problem here is that Togashi doesn't seem to be that interested in telling a satisfying three act story* with acceptable pacing because it doesn't feel like he knew where to stop. More and more plotlines and characters are just layered on top of each other without really adding anything of significance to the central thrust of the arc. None of the side characters are badly written and their fights aren't poorly thought out they're just...extraneous.

Your argument is that there's nothing wrong, so to speak, with adding more layers to this story because you enjoy these additional layers (e.g. characters and plot lines). My counter position to this line of thinking is: well then what's too much? What's too epic for you? Suppose, for example, that the Chimera Ant arc was twice as long as it currently is, filled with twice as many perspectives of the conflict and storylines and fights. Would that be too much for you? How about four times as much? Eight times as much? Perhaps you can see where I'm coming from when I say that I feel like this arc is already four times longer than I'd like.

I could easily see them cutting the length of this arc in half, or more, and basically losing nothing of value. When you can remove that much material from a story and still have it function as before then you have to question why it was so long in the first place.

*You're certainly free to tell other kinds of stories than the traditional three act story, but you probably shouldn't break away from the formula unless you're confident in your abilities to do something interesting.
The Phantom Troupe episodes in this arc were pretty good though.

It was certainly enjoyable because hey, it gave us a bit more information about the Troupe and we got to see some more fights and it gives a scope to the conflict with the Chimera Ants. But it was also completely unnecessary. If we're going to get some time with the Troupe I'd much rather see them built into an arc where there get actually fleshed out (more so than here) and where the arc actually involves them insofar as their actions affect the wider story.

Here it just felt like fanservice, which I certainly enjoyed but which just filled the arc with yet more characters having more fights that really don't impact the story. We already have plenty of that here.

Kieli

It was certainly enjoyable because hey, it gave us a bit more information about the Troupe and we got to see some more fights and it gives a scope to the conflict with the Chimera Ants. But it was also completely unnecessary. If we're going to get some time with the Troupe I'd much rather see them built into an arc where there get actually fleshed out (more so than here) and where the arc actually involves them insofar as their actions affect the wider story.

From that short 2-episode diversion we got to see their abilities (may be relevant in the future) and got to know that Killua's brother is trying to find him.

fertygo

Cutting half of content is bit too much.. thing can be much faster in this adaptation if they don't have mentality for chasing certain episode count with not dragging thing with stretched out 1-2 weekly manga chapter into 20 minute anime episode.

Kieli

Cutting half of content is bit too much.. thing can be much faster in this adaptation if they don't have mentality for chasing certain episode t count with not dragging thing with stretched out 1-2 weekly manga chapter into 20 minute anime episode.

Agreed. The pacing really suffered for that. Also, the narrator was extremely intrusive.

The pace was fine until episode 110. That's when I felt it shit the bed.

My counter position to this line of thinking is: well then what's too much? What's too epic for you? Suppose, for example, that the Chimera Ant arc was twice as long as it currently is, filled with twice as many perspectives of the conflict and storylines and fights. Would that be too much for you? How about four times as much? Eight times as much?

There are definitely good arcs in shounen that are longer than this.

Daingurse

One of the few things in the episode that disappointed me, Gon-san's reveal. Having read the manga after the Netero vs. Mereum fight, the reveal panel of Gon's transformation is absolutely striking. That image was ingrained in my brain, so I was simply disappointed to see no real visual emphasis in the anime. Literally the only other issues I had with the episode were other nitpicks, things that I thought the manga portrayed better. That's it lol.

The problem here is that Togashi doesn't seem to be that interested in telling a satisfying three act story* with acceptable pacing because it doesn't feel like he knew where to stop. More and more plotlines and characters are just layered on top of each other without really adding anything of significance to the central thrust of the arc. None of the side characters are badly written and their fights aren't poorly thought out they're just...extraneous.

Your argument is that there's nothing wrong, so to speak, with adding more layers to this story because you enjoy these additional layers (e.g. characters and plot lines). My counter position to this line of thinking is: well then what's too much? What's too epic for you? Suppose, for example, that the Chimera Ant arc was twice as long as it currently is, filled with twice as many perspectives of the conflict and storylines and fights. Would that be too much for you? How about four times as much? Eight times as much? Perhaps you can see where I'm coming from when I say that I feel like this arc is already four times longer than I'd like.

I could easily see them cutting the length of this arc in half, or more, and basically losing nothing of value. When you can remove that much material from a story and still have it function as before then you have to question why it was so long in the first place.

*You're certainly free to tell other kinds of stories than the traditional three act story, but you probably shouldn't break away from the formula unless you're confident in your abilities to do something interesting.

Here it just felt like fanservice, which I certainly enjoyed but which just filled the arc with yet more characters having more fights that really don't impact the story. We already have plenty of that here.

I like this about him, to be honest. That's why I'm such a big fan of his work. All these world building and focus on side characters.

Brutalx2

So...I've got a question. Did Gon sacrificed his life energy to get enough aura to murder pitou? And by sacrificing his life energy he grew older? I kinda didn't fully understand what happened.

Kieli

So...I've got a question. Did Gon sacrificed his life energy to get enough aura to murder pitou? And by sacrificing his life energy he grew older? I kinda didn't fully understand what happened.

I think he did something similar to Kurapika, albeit to the max.

kirblar

He basically hit the "UNLOAD EVERYTHING" button on his body's fuel tank. He was using all his future growth, life energy, and ability to produce Nen all up at once, resulting in the growth spurt and insane power level.

KeRaSh

Quick question: When Gon and Killua entered the tower where Pitou was healing Komugi, Killua said something really weird to himself. I don't even know what it was anymore but someone here mentioned that it would be explained later in the arc. Did I miss that explanation or is it still to come?
I hope someone knows which scene I'm talking about...

farisr

Quick question: When Gon and Killua entered the tower where Pitou was healing Komugi, Killua said something really weird to himself. I don't even know what it was anymore but someone here mentioned that it would be explained later in the arc. Did I miss that explanation or is it still to come?
I hope someone knows which scene I'm talking about...

I don't have an answer for you, but are you talking about this scene?

Gon: Killua, Pitou is in that tower, let's go.

Killua in his mind:
Let's go? In what sense did you mean that.

Narrator: Killua barely managed to stop himself from asking the question.

Killua in his mind: If I ask that question, I won't be able to stop anymore... I won't be able to go back.

Narrator: If Killua would just ask, he would have his answer. Anyone with enough experience would easily arrive at that next step. But the fear of losing someone he cared for prevented him from taking that step.

KeRaSh

I don't have an answer for you, but are you talking about this scene?

Gon: Killua, Pitou is in that tower, let's go.

Killua in his mind:
Let's go? In what sense did you mean that.

Narrator: Killua barely managed to stop himself from asking the question.

Killua in his mind: If I ask that question, I won't be able to stop anymore... I won't be able to go back.

Narrator: If Killua would just ask, he would have his answer. Anyone with enough experience would easily arrive at that next step. But the fear of losing someone he cared for prevented him from taking that step.

Yes! Can someone chime in wether this will still be explained or if it is obvious what the question was and I'm just an idiot?

Brutalx2

Did Killua anticipated Gon's rage?

I thought that meant "Killua needed to ask Gon about how he was feeling", and this was why.

Something like that I think. I always interpreted this to mean that Killlua wanted to calm down Gon/bring him back to his senses so that he wouldn't do something that could cost him his life due to rage (what just happened), but just couldn't bring himself to contradict Gon out of fear of ruining their friendship.

I liked the fact that Killua and Gon were almost in line with each other power wise. Their training scenes were probably my favorite part of the whole series. With Gon's sudden power surge, that all pretty much ended... I actually want him to revert back to normal :(

LogicStep

I liked the fact that Killua and Gon were almost in line with each other power wise. Their training scenes were probably my favorite part of the whole series. With Gon's sudden power surge, that all pretty much ended... I actually want him to revert back to normal :(
I think Killua is stronger by a good bit pre transformation. Gon just went all hacks.

I like this about him, to be honest. That's why I'm such a big fan of his work. All these world building and focus on side characters.
I like this style also. George Martin(GRRM) sorta has the same style in focusing on characters in their works even if they wont be around all that long.

Killua this whole show has been ahead of Gon in practically every way until now.

I don't know, guys. When it came to strength, Killua was the clear winner, but Gon excelled at some things Killua couldn't. One being how quickly Gon came up with plans compared to Killua. By the time Killua figured out what Gon was planning all along, Gon's basically done fleshing out what he intended to do (ie when the troupe member, Nobunaga, kept them hostage and Gon thought of a way to escape). Gon is a great strategizer, and that could be just as deadly as a razor hand thingy Killua does.

Biscuit put it in a really good way. I can't remember what she said word for word, but it went something along the lines of Killua filling in what Gon lacked, and vice versa.

Tizoc

Looking at it in anime form...the long hair is ridiculous but only because it goes up. if it were wavering behind him like Sepheroth's hair maybe it wouldn't look so ridiculous.

Blades64

Banned
If I'm not mistaken doesn't Gon's aura capcity exceed Killua's? Also, in a combat scenario Gon doesn't think about his opponent's "strength" over him, while I feel like Killua over analyzes sometimes.

kirblar

If I'm not mistaken doesn't Gon's aura capcity exceeds Killua's? Also, in a combat scenario Gon doesn't think about his opponent's "strength" over him, while I feel like Killua over analyzes sometimes.
I think Gon's got more raw potential, but Killua's currently much better at utilizing it in normal combat situations because his brain doesn't seize up when overloaded with information. :p

Einhander

Let's do this. Almost time. Who will challenge Meruem, Pouf, and Youpi now? Will it be Killua to stand up to the plate and place the burden of victory onto himself?

kewlmyc

Let's do this. Almost time. Who will challenge Meruem, Pouf, and Youpi now? Will it be Killua to stand up to the plate and place the burden of victory onto himself?
I don't think Killua is in any mental condition to fight. At this point we might have to rely on someone new showing up to fight.

Kieli

That's what I think, as well. Gon has even more raw potential than Killua (who, let's face it, is the star-child even among the Zoldycks). It's just that Killua was raised an assassin and has a much better grasp of his abilities and how to develop/utilise them.

Top Bottom