• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

I believe Gon-san is on the same level as Netero in his prime and Mereum before he came back.
Gon basically did what took Netero decades of constant training in an instant.
That list is kind of whack anyway as you can see Komugi is on the same level as Leorio despite being completely unable to fight, or Razor and Hisoka being on the same level.
But hey, Togashi approved power levels for arguing who is the stronkest

icy_eagle

I figured they were all mostly even, but with specializations. I'd figure Pouf was the weakest, since his "magic" when chasing Killua was just talking trash. The other 2 would've murdered Killua where he stood. Youpi is probably the strongest in terms of brute strength/power, since he had no nen specialization, except getting a progressively murder-ier body.

Pouf at that time had offered the majority of himself to the king, significantly reducing his strength, and on top of that, Killua was fighting a clone. You can't really measure Pouf's strength off of that.

And that chart doesn't say anything about any royal guard being stronger than the others. They all score the same where it matters when discussing fighting strength strictly; skill, strength & nen. It's not that reliable anyway, Netero's got max scores yet the king is obviously above him. It's also quite outdated at this point. And anyways, HxH has mostly focused on clever uses of nen, rather than power levels as such.

Philippo

Great episode, funny to see Meruem forgiving Pouf (that sly bastard really keeps saving itself), while everybody else is panicking out because they're fucked.
Can't wait to see the King and Komugi first encounter.

I believe Gon-san is on the same level as Netero in his prime and Mereum before he came back.
Gon basically did what took Netero decades of constant training in an instant.
That list is kind of whack anyway as you can see Komugi is on the same level as Leorio despite being completely unable to fight, or Razor and Hisoka being on the same level.
But hey, Togashi approved power levels for arguing who is the stronkest

I'm not really sure if you can say that, as we have no idea how strong Netero really was. I'm not even sure if Netero could have been stronger than the king at all. But yeah, like I said before idk how trustworthy that list is in an actual battle.

Sorry if double post

Yonafunu

Probably above Netero seeing as Pitou said Gon-San was as strong as the King, who was stronger than Netero when they fought

Pitou never said Gon was as strong as the King, Crunchyroll just translated it as such. Pitou literally said "his fangs would reach the King". To the Royal Guards, pretty much everyone is considered a threat to the King, so it's very hard to tell how strong Gon-san really is going off of Pitou's words.

Unbounded

Hunter_x_Hunter_Official_power_level_chart.png

Even though Togashi made it idk if I would take it to heart
How is Zushi lower than Komugi?

Kieli

You can't just add up the total and say one is better than another.

Knuckle and Shoot can still run circles around Gon (don't know about Killua post-Godspeed) even if their total is smaller.

And what the heck is wrong with Razer being at the same tier as Hisoka? It doesn't mean Hisoka is suddenly a scrub or that his potential is going to remain there.

Yonafunu

This is why I don't like that chart. It forces HxH into a power level discussion, when it's anything but. This series doesn't work like that, so the list is worthless.

Yeah. Nen ability isn't always about combat. There are many abilities out there that can be used to beat stronger enemies, if used properly. Owl (Shadow Beasts) is probably really weak physically, but he caught Nobunaga and could have probably squished him to death. Komugi's ability is like zero combat.

Unbounded

those numbers really don't mean anything in an actual fight, no point in talking about them

I don't disagree that they mean nothing in an actual fight, but some of the numbers just don't make any sense to begin with.

Unless Komugi is shown being able to knock a regular person out with one punch, I stand by my statement.

Pitou never said Gon was as strong as the King, Crunchyroll just translated it as such. Pitou literally said "his fangs would reach the King". To the Royal Guards, pretty much everyone is considered a threat to the King, so it's very hard to tell how strong Gon-san really is going off of Pitou's words.

are you looking at the official (volume) translation or a scan? The scans that are online vary between saying his fangs would reach the king and that his power had reached the king, after just looking. I haven't read the official translation though.

edit: I just read the Viz translation, which does indeed say "As I feared, his fangs might even sink into the king"

Yonafunu

are you looking at the official (volume) translation or a scan? The scans that are online vary between saying his fangs would reach the king and that his power had reached the king, after just looking. I haven't read the official translation though.

edit: I just read the Viz translation, which does indeed say "As I feared, his fangs might even sink into the king"

Pitou says it in the anime too.

Right, so after this episode, I'm leaving another 5 episode gap before watching again. Not gonna stay week after week for buildup...buildup...buildup. Got too hyped after last week.

Daingurse

what do they mean by spirit? interesting to see that hisoka has more talent than chrollo.

I see it as willpower or resolve myself. Also, not surprised Hisoka has a genius level of talent.

Right, so after this episode, I'm leaving another 5 episode gap before watching again. Not gonna stay week after week for buildup...buildup...buildup. Got too hyped after last week.

There's only like 3 episodes in the arc, this shit is going to be reaching a resolution soon. Might as well keep watching.

idk does it feel that sometimes the animation doesn't look as crsip as it did in the previous arcs

granted we do get some amazingly animated episodes in this arc but at times we get some animation that looks more low budget then the rest of the episodes

Radec

The sad thing is that we will never see Hisoka vs Kuroro and how Hisoka beat the shit out of him in this series.

kewlmyc

^ I'm confused. They already fought? Is this a spoiler?

idk does it feel that sometimes the animation doesn't look as crsip as it did in the previous arcs

granted we do get some amazingly animated episodes in this arc but at times we get some animation that looks more low budget then the rest of the episodes

Could it be because it was moved to the late night slot? I just started watching about 2 months ago, but I heard last year it used to air in the morning or something. The timeslot change could have affected the budget if it was moved to a timeslot where a lot less people would be watching it.

The chart is stupid because

1 it makes people compare powerlevels, while we know HxH isn't like that,
2 they do it without noticing that 5 points from the total is "spirit", the resolve or willpower or guts of someone, which can skew scores (like with Komugi)
3 the gradient from 0 to 5 is small and it makes people think that some character are almost up to par when we know there should be a bigger difference

Could it be because it was moved to the late night slot? I just started watching about 2 months ago, but I heard last year it used to air in the morning or something. The timeslot change could have affected the budget if it was moved to a timeslot where a lot less people would be watching it.
might be who knows

still lower budget or not I am glad good studios like these exist that actually have talent compared to the atrocious sub par (plastic looking) animation studio that is Toei animation

they only stay significant due to animating OP and the old image that they animated top series like DB and Sailor Moon

dan2026

Power levels mean dick in HxH anyway.

With Nen being as varied as it is, some nobody could wipe out the biggest badass with some sneaky technique.

ReiGun

I think it's pretty easy to understand the chart isn't meant to be read as "This character is better than this character and will always win in a fight because over 9000" but rather just showing the potential and basic stats of everyone. We all know fights in HxH are based as much on circumstance, experience, and matchups as they are raw stats, so I'm not seeing what the chart hurts or why it's rustling folks' feathers.

Yonafunu

Pitou says it when Gon is in the room with him and Komugi yeah

No, I mean when Gon is transforming. She says almost the exact same thing again, but for some reason Crunchyroll decided to translate it differently.

The words used in Japanese are the exact same, so it's just Crunchyroll being inconsistent for whatever reason.

edit: To clarify, my Japanese vocabulary is very small, but this is what I'm talking about;

The first time Pitou's thoughts about Gon's power come up it's when she's still healing Komugi, and she thinks "his fangs may reach the King's throat".
The second time is while Gon's transforming, and she thinks "(I was right,) his fangs will reach the King" or "have reached the King", something to that effect. Now while Crunchyroll translated it with those same words the first time, the second time was translated as "his power is now equal to that of the King", which is not exactly the same thing. It's weird because the words used are the exact same both times in the Japanese.

No, I mean when Gon is transforming. She says almost the exact same thing again, but for some reason Crunchyroll decided to translate it differently.

The words used in Japanese are the exact same, so it's just Crunchyroll being inconsistent for whatever reason.

edit: To clarify, my Japanese vocabulary is very small, but this is what I'm talking about;

The first time Pitou's thoughts about Gon's power come up it's when she's still healing Komugi, and she thinks "his fangs may reach the King's throat".
The second time is while Gon's transforming, and she thinks "(I was right,) his fangs will reach the King" or "have reached the King", something to that effect. Now while Crunchyroll translated it with those same words the first time, the second time was translated as "his power is now equal to that of the King", which is not exactly the same thing. It's weird because the words used are the exact same both times in the Japanese.
Oh I see, I don't know any Japanese, so I didn't make the connection. It may have been for dramatic effect, or something akin to that.

Edit: the way Pitou says it and the emotion conveyed makes it seem that Gon-san would have been able to harm the king to some degree, albeit he may not be as strong, although I don't think you were disputing this

Just got into this show; always thought it was a slice of life / friendship is forever with my pet frog type manga/anime. Pleasantly surprised it's a battle shonen; even more surprised/happy it's by Togashi Yoshihiro.

Just got into this show; always thought it was a slice of life / friendship is forever with my pet frog type manga/anime. Pleasantly surprised it's a battle shonen; even more surprised/happy it's by Togashi Yoshihiro.

What episode are you in? Might wanna avoid this thread. Big spoilers everywhere.

smurfx

get some go again
yeah dude stay away or just post your thoughts on episodes and skip the responses until you catch up. you should especially skip the next couple of weeks since this arc is nearly ending. would like to hear new people's reaction to episodes so please post your reactions.

yeah dude stay away or just post your thoughts on episodes and skip the responses until you catch up. you should especially skip the next couple of weeks since this arc is nearly ending. would like to hear new people's reaction to episodes so please post your reactions.

I'm thoroughly enjoying it thus far. As I had stated earlier, I initially didn't realize it was a battle shonen but instead was a slice of life/pokemon style anime. Once I got past the first 10 episodes and it started becoming more battle oriented I warmed up to it.

I think the battles and skill explanation (a staple of battle shonens) is well thought out for the most part. I'm not sure on the arc names, but I'm currently on the card battle arch. Presently I'm not enjoying it as much as the previous arc dealing with Phantom Troupe. As far as main character goes, at first I hated Gon but I've warmed up to him a little. I'm more interested in Killua though to be honest.

ReiGun

Why are you guys still calling Pitou a she? I'm pretty sure he's male.

Pitou's gender is supposed to be ambiguous, but I believe the anime team stated they treated the character as female.

As a non-manga reader, when I first saw Pitou, I saw a woman. Even looks like s/he has breasts in the opening.

Top Bottom