• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I think I just put two and two together...I think...based on something that happened this episode.

Don't click if you dont want to be spoiled by a possible spoiler in the next few eps...but this thing happened this episode and I'm a non-manga reader. I'm also just speculating.

Youpi was bleeding before he confronted Welfin so maybe he was further weakened by what is afflicting Pouf?...and then Pouf was coughing blood too...I don't know why though. It can't be radiation, as they werent there when the king had a direct hit. I figured Youpi was just excited...but they wouldn't show Pouf coughing blood for nothing.

You do know that the area hit by a nuclear strike is still contaminated even after the bomb explodes, right? Youpi and Pouf ran right into the aftermath.

Jex

some people are talking about how there's a lot of padding and pacing issues, but this arc has been pretty 1:1 with the manga IMO, with Madhouse making exceptions where it would be useful to prolong some some scenes. Of course, there are also exceptions to this, but I guess this is just my opion.

This is straight nonsense because it doesn't take into account the pace of the adaptation or the number of inserted or elongated scenes. About 6 pages of manga got turned into 20 minutes of anime earlier in this arc, with one double page spread in particular turned into 10 minutes. That's something you can read in 10 seconds. This makes the manga and the anime "experiences" different even if they're covering basically the same material.

At the start of this anime the pacing was something more like 40 pages per 20 minutes.

Well I guess that's that then.
For some reason I keep on thinking Ikalgo or Palm is Pouf in disguise. They just seem so shifty. Ikalgo popping up and going "QUICKLY GO TO THE BASEMENT"
And now Palm being all mysterious and saying they have to hide her.

I still don't like Welfin. They can give him as much character and backstory as they like but he really was unnecessary in the grand scheme of things.

This is straight nonsense because it doesn't take into account the pace of the adaptation or the number of inserted or elongated scenes. About 6 pages of manga got turned into 20 minutes of anime earlier in this arc, with one double page spread in particular turned into 10 minutes. That's something you can read in 10 seconds. This makes the manga and the anime "experiences" different even if they're covering basically the same material.

At the start of this anime the pacing was something more like 40 pages per 20 minutes.

The spread in the Manga had a large emotional impact though, which is harder to do in a ten second time frame. I agree that part was too long, but it had to have been extended in order to get any similar kind of feel. If I hadn't already read the source material, I would have been more comfortable with the time extensions, but overall I don't think it detracts much from the experience of the arc, especially since now it can be watched all at once. But once again, this is just how I feel.

I also might just be a bit biased and defensive because I absolutely adore this arc.

Kieli

The spread in the Manga had a large emotional impact though, which is harder to do in a ten second time frame. I agree that part was too long, but it had to have been extended in order to get any similar kind of feel. If I hadn't already read the source material, I would have been more comfortable with the time extensions, but overall I don't think it detracts much from the experience of the arc, especially since now it can be watched all at once. But once again, this is just how I feel.

I also might just be a bit biased and defensive because I absolutely adore this arc.

Same feeling could have been achieved with quick cuts and many simultaneous angles of Gon's breakdown. Boom, covered it in 5 seconds.

But they want to finish at 135 for whatever reason as well as get all of that zinger in 131, soz...

Akainu

Ah man, I'm on episode 107 now and

Knov turns out to be this big ass wuss; damn it and I thought he was gonna be like this badass mofo!
Knov went into enemy territory filled with monsters alone, BY HIMSELF, and completed his mission far more well than anyone imagined. How is he a wuss?

phaze

Well at least
it seems Netero didn't die a pointless death.

I was wondering earlier why were they devoting so much time to Gyro, (speculation)
with that angle returning in this ep it looks like either Meruem or Pouf will turn out to be his reincarnation. Earlier I thought it was going to be king for sure but now Pouf looks like a more likely candidate.

phaze

dude gyro already appeared in the anime. he was reborn as an ant and immediately gained his memories and left. it was all in the episode about gyro. watch episode 80 and you'll even see a familiar name mentioned.

:lol Complety missed/forgot it if so. Will watch that episode again.

smurfx

get some go again
:lol Complety missed/forgot it if so. Will watch that episode again.
actually i don't know if that was in the anime. it was in the manga for sure and it happened a long time ago too so its not spoiling anything. the anime did things different.

Knov went into enemy territory filled with monsters alone, BY HIMSELF, and completed his mission far more well than anyone imagined. How is he a wuss?

The only creatures that really posed a threat to him were Pitou, Pouf and Youpi. He ran because he became overran by fear at the sight/feeling of Pouf's nen; which is kind of understandable. I say he's a wuss for completely losing the will to fight as a result and leaving his teammates to do it all themselves while he stays hidden in his little spacial rooms. He looked down on Gon and Killua for running away from Pitou, neither of which really wanted to run but understood the situation for what it was…well Killua understood. Gon is Gon. Also he never regained his composure while everyone else who encountered the nen of the three aforementioned (and some went through near death experiences) were able to.

That's one thing I don't like about manga being adapted into anime. They could have adapted this a lot better and fixed the pacing issues. The narrator's role could have been pulled back a bit and let the visuals and animation and characters speak for themselves. They need to trust the audience more. Or maybe we're just not their audience.

I think I just put two and two together...I think...based on something that happened this episode.

Don't click if you dont want to be spoiled by a possible spoiler in the next few eps...but this thing happened this episode and I'm a non-manga reader. I'm also just speculating.

Youpi was bleeding before he confronted Welfin so maybe he was further weakened by what is afflicting Pouf?...and then Pouf was coughing blood too...I don't know why though. It can't be radiation, as they werent there when the king had a direct hit. I figured Youpi was just excited...but they wouldn't show Pouf coughing blood for nothing.

All three were bleeding, though and all present at ground zero.

upandaway

actually i don't know if that was in the anime. it was in the manga for sure and it happened a long time ago too so its not spoiling anything. the anime did things different.
It was. The anime showed it far earlier than in the manga, back when Kaito, Gon and Killua went into Gyro's HQ after the place was overtaken by ants.

The placement made a bit more sense than in the manga, but it was also easier to forget because it was pretty much the beginning of the arc.

kewlmyc

It was. The anime showed it far earlier than in the manga, back when Kaito, Gon and Killua went into Gyro's HQ after the place was overtaken by ants.

The placement made a bit more sense than in the manga, but it was also easier to forget because it was pretty much the beginning of the arc.

My memory is bad, so I'll just ask. Is Gyro the
Koala Bear? He's the only ant I remember that they focused on for a bit that didn't die onscreen or become a good guy.

upandaway

My memory is bad, so I'll just ask. Is Gyro the
Koala Bear? He's the only ant I remember that they focused on for a bit that didn't die onscreen or become a good guy.
Gyro was reborn, regained his memories immediately, and left. We don't know anything about him except that he was still around in the country when Gon/Killua came in with Knuckle and the rest.

kewlmyc

Gyro was reborn, regained his memories immediately, and left. We don't know anything about him except that he was still around in the country when Gon/Killua came in with Knuckle and the rest.

I was only spoilering it just in case new guys were browsing the thread, but I'll stop. It's nice to know that he was reborn as the Koala Bear, but I was somehow expecting him to be Mereum for some reason.

upandaway

I was only spoilering it just in case new guys were browsing the thread, but I'll stop. It's nice to know that he was reborn as the Koala Bear, but I was somehow expecting him to be Mereum for some reason.
Wait wait, none of the ants seen so far are Gyro. He literally left immediately the second he was born. Sorry for not clarifying.

kewlmyc

Wait wait, none of the ants seen so far are Gyro. He literally left immediately the second he was born. Sorry for not clarifying.

Oh okay, thanks.

Still wonder what happened to the Koala Bear. I don't remember him dying and he had like an entire episode to himself. Wonder what happened to the sleazy diplomat and Leo's female friend as well. They just kinda vanished.

I've just realised this show has had the same OP music since the first episode. GET A NEW SONG MADHOUSE!

Also, they're hitting the audience about round the head this episode, I feel.

That's being generous. There's been plenty of episodes that you could have entirely removed from this arc just by not padding the shit out of each and every episode.

I was talking specifically of this final part. There are other parts before where they could have condensed more, yeah. Though I suspect I wouldn't agree with the quantity with you.

Brannon

Had a feeling that
the radiation would play a part in all of this.

Will be interesting to see
Pouf lose it

MCD

Episode 133

I was pretty pissed when
the old man's death was for naught but now...

Yeah, I am satisfied.

Akainu

The only creatures that really posed a threat to him were Pitou, Pouf and Youpi. He ran because he became overran by fear at the sight/feeling of Pouf's nen; which is kind of understandable. I say he's a wuss for completely losing the will to fight as a result and leaving his teammates to do it all themselves while he stays hidden in his little spacial rooms. He looked down on Gon and Killua for running away from Pitou, neither of which really wanted to run but understood the situation for what it was…well Killua understood. Gon is Gon. Also he never regained his composure while everyone else who encountered the nen of the three aforementioned (and some went through near death experiences) were able to.
And yet he still stayed around and provided support. That's all that really matters. A wuss would have just completely dropped out.

Yonafunu

Guys seriously, stop talking about the manga. It's annoying. Why the hell are y'all talking about the Gyro stuff?

The episode was great. I really really liked it.

Jigolo

Guys seriously, stop talking about the manga. It's annoying. Why the hell are y'all talking about the Gyro stuff?

The episode was great. I really really liked it.

Yeah me too as well as last weeks episode. I'm all emotional now since I know the inevitable is happening soon.

Big One

Banned
Wait, did the anime ever explain that Gyro was eaten and reborn as an ant? I don't ever recalling it did. I know it did in the manga, like right after they had his backstory.

This might be why certain people are confused here if the anime didn't state this like the manga did.

kirblar

Wait, did the anime ever explain that Gyro was eaten and reborn as an ant? I don't ever recalling it did. I know it did in the manga, like right after they had his backstory.

This might be why certain people are confused here if the anime didn't state this like the manga did.
I remember being just as confused reading the Manga.

gtmax

I just watched episode 80 again. Unless i missed it there was no where they showed Gyro turining into an Ant and leaving. Unless that Minotaur dude was Gyro but he addressed Gyro in the second person so he couldn't have been him.

What i love about the show is that they don't give you everything. God what i would have given to see Kite-o roll a high number lol.

Yonafunu

that's ridiculous, why would they have an episode about him and not show that

edit: oh shit you're right

based Yonafunu comes to the rescue again

lol

Just to be clear, it's really not a big deal. The arc is very close to done, so we'll have seen it in two weeks.

upandaway

Manga spoilers:

Gyro being reborn as an ant and walking away hasn't been shown in the anime yet.
Welp.

I think that's a bit really really dumb but okay. I don't like it when the anime isn't faithful to the manga, it's just worse. If I was an anime watcher I would treat this the same as manga people telling me about Kite's changes in the beginning of the series before the beginning of the Ant arc, and I'd rather be told about it (which also happened in the thread)... but sorry for those who don't agree with me, I'll edit the posts (though it's probably too late)

Yonafunu

Welp.

I think that's a bit really really dumb but okay. I don't like it when the anime isn't faithful to the manga, it's just worse. If I was an anime watcher I would treat this the same as manga people telling me about Kite's changes in the beginning of the series before the beginning of the Ant arc, and I'd rather be told about it (which also happened in the thread)... but sorry for those who don't agree with me, I'll edit the posts (though it's probably too late)

I'm pretty sure it's still coming, so I'm cool with it. I get that they want to wrap everything regarding the Chimera Ant arc up in one swoop. It's also a pretty good cliffhanger to end the arc with.

phaze

welp completely confused with the Gyro stuff. Staying away from spoilers for now. Will check them out after arc finishes.

Top Bottom