• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

Since I haven't read the manga, I thought it bizarre that they dedicated an episode to Gyro so long ago that he is easily forgotten. It seems a waste of animation time/manpower if he isn't going to be a significant chimera. We'll see.

Blame Togashi for setting him up as this big thing and yet not doing anything with it at all for years

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Today's episode:

This episode was very awesome. The music and the facial expressions were top notch. You could see both sides of the King swirling violently through him. It was incredible. Pouf lost. That's all there is to it! More refreshing than seeing his head stomped in.

Also, very hyped to see how the arc ends. Cannot wait. Now I'm hoping the King doesn't die or that the chain death effect doesn't show itself in a odd way (dead komugi)

demidar

Blame Togashi for setting him up as this big thing and yet not doing anything with it at all for years

Yeah, half an episode was dedicated to Gyro's backstory and he has yet to make an appearance which had me really scratching my head.

Then again, One Piece pulls characters from years prior so whatevs I can deal.

Jex

This episode was incredibly, incredibly implausible. I mean, who believes blimps could carry out the bombing campaign we saw in the opening of the episode? They're incredibly slow and easy targets which would get shredded by anti aircraft weaponry!

andymcc

Banned
This episode was incredibly, incredibly implausible. I mean, who believes blimps could carry out the bombing campaign we saw in the opening of the episode? They're incredibly slow and easy targets which would get shredded by anti aircraft weaponry!

I guess they gotta make genocide whimsical somehow

Jex

Anyway, aside from that nonsense, this was a very solid episode all round and one of the very few times this arc I didn't feel the padding too heavily (besides the intro with it's shitty high school level political commentary). If the entire arc had been more consistent overall I'd probably be more forgiving, I guess.

The narrator can still go "die and a fire" though, regardless of the episode. I don't need to be told what's going on when I can already see it and the characters explain it out loud. I'm not stupid and even the kids demographic isn't that slow.

kewlmyc

Good episode. Welfin's reactions were golden and the utter look of defeat from Pouf was priceless. It's shocking how much the King has changed. Too back he's pretty much fucked if the intro is anything to go by.

Also, lol at aging 100 years in one second.

fertygo

Goddamn man all the feels in the end.. King is such a incredible character, regardless how fucked up the pacing has been.. this arc does have all the highest moment.

Soriku

The king was this close to fucking him up, and at the end this shit happens?

Maybe Killua will swat his ass.

The poison will swat his ass.

And it was poison not radiation.

Anyway, very good episode. They handled Welfin's thoughts well, and the King's last line was awesome.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Gon's change in #131 sure confirmed beyond doubt who his biological mom is, if it wasn't obvious before.

Since I haven't read the manga, I thought it bizarre that they dedicated an episode to Gyro so long ago that he is easily forgotten. It seems a waste of animation time/manpower if he isn't going to be a significant chimera. We'll see.
(I have never read the manga.)
It was so long ago, so I don't exactly know why I think this, but I always thought that Gyro would end up being the Meruem. Human king -> ant king. And it would justify randomly spending so much time on Gyro.

Daingurse

Really enjoyed this episode, loved the way certain things were adapted from the manga.
Seeing Pouf die in front of Welfin, was especially something I appreciated. Just didn't have a great mental image when I read it, what they showed was perfect though.

The way they set up Gyro, I assumed he was going to be incorporated into the King, and that his personality was going to make The King an absolute terror. With the manga on-going though, perhaps Gyro could easily become relevant again.

I guess I'm the only one who actually likes pouf, not like in the sense that I want to hang out with the guy or even root for him, but he's the most interesting to watch act and react to situations of all the ants save, the king. The attack on castle sections of this arc wouldn't be nearly as interesting, and the king and komagi dynamic nearly as meaningful with pouf around. I tend to to be more drawn to the well used second tier villains who aren't dosed in main villain plot armor so the writer doesn't have to make him look cool, bad ass or even scary, he can be a wild card. His twisted love/loyalty/manipulation is so fun to watch.

He's the straw that stirs the second half of the Chimera Ant arc's drink!!

Blair

Banned
I guess I'm the only one who actually likes pouf, not like in the sense that I want to hang out with the guy or even root for him, but he's the most interesting to watch act and react to situations of all the ants save, the king. The attack on castle sections of this arc wouldn't be nearly as interesting, and the king and komagi dynamic nearly as meaningful with pouf around. I tend to to be more drawn to the well used second tier villains who aren't dosed in main villain plot armor so the writer doesn't have to make him look cool, bad ass or even scary, he can be a wild card. His twisted love/loyalty/manipulation is so fun to watch.

Pouf is the only ant with his head in the game IMO. While others waver with their human side, Pouf is all ant. My favourite character of the arc by far.

zero_suit

I hate him, but I definitely agree with this.

Daingurse

Pouf is the only ant with his head in the game IMO. While others waver with their human side, Pouf is all ant. My favourite character of the arc by far.

Pouf despite being framed as the most "ant-like" Chimera, came across as one of the most human Chimera Ants to me. He embodied the negative aspects of humanity, and his personal motivations were entirely selfish. Not a likable character by any stretch, but extremely entertaining to observe and watch. Kinda like Joffrey to me, the more evil Pouf became, the more I enjoyed him.

gtmax

I can't help think that the end episode will leave me unfulfilled. How can they wrap up everything in one episode? So many damn characters. Pouf will def not get to question Meleoron and Knuckle. I guess waht makes most sense is that the end simply won't address every single strand that needs to be tied up.

I think the fight with the old man and the King and Gon and Pitou were the best episodes i've ever seen on any medium. And i'm 37. I shouldn't like this kiddy drawn show as much as i do. But i'm a sucker for a story and good writing.

But really the episode where Gon went in and confronted Pitou was beyond words. Amazing.

that said, the highlight for me was anything with the Phantom Troupe. I'm gonna go back and watch that arc again. This is my 10yr old daughter first anime and i'm glad we got to watch it together. I'm ahead of her, making sure the episodes are appropriate but she's almost caught up to me. I can't wait to watch it from teh beginning again because the show has goten so far from what it was i don't even remember Gon being a powerless little kid.

I think the show, unlike Attack on Titan, wouldn't translate well into an English audience. There are episodes with just way too much narration and explanations. I loved everything but your average viewer here would blow a gasket at that.

Any word on when the next arc will start airing?

And this folks is the reason why the King is my favorite Shounen Viillian, the development he went through throughout this arc is even more unprecedented than Nintendo and Ea's partnership.

Yeah, half an episode was dedicated to Gyro's backstory and he has yet to make an appearance which had me really scratching my head.

Then again, One Piece pulls characters from years prior so whatevs I can deal.

I always thought the point was that Gyro was reincarnated as the King.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Hunter X Hunter 2011 Episode 133
Hmm It seems they all started bleeding at the same time..the effect of the bomb and being too close to it? I dont know if they established if the bombs were nuclear or not.

Big One

Banned
Ugh this Gyro stuff is killing me to see people's reaction to it. i can't believe the anime left out a very important part of his backstory. Maybe it's intentional though, but they left out the Kite/Gon backstory too at the beginning and that was shitty too so bleh...

Daingurse

Hmm It seems they all started bleeding at the same time..the effect of the bomb and being too close to it? I dont know if they established if the bombs were nuclear or not.

This is still up there I guess. I like to think of it as a low-yield dirty nuke, but it doesn't have to be a nuke. They started bleeding around the same time, but they are dying in I believe the proper order.

Shit, Youpi alone could have died the way he did and I wouldn't have any issue accepting it. He was in the epicenter of that shit, looked like hell. He morphed his body to endure it, but I knew there would be consequences.

kirblar

Basically,
It's a nuke in all but name, due to how sensitive the Japanese are to them because of their history. The effects of the poison are mimicking radiation sickness.

Daingurse

Basically,
It's a nuke in all but name, due to how sensitive the Japanese are to them because of their history. The effects of the poison are mimicking radiation sickness.

The thing Togashi made up is actually worse, because of the contagious angle. Punishes any and all, who try to care for the survivors. Which is quite fucked up.

foxuzamaki

Hunter X Hunter 2011 Episode 134
250px-Sweating-Man.jpg

foxuzamaki

Basically,

The thing Togashi made up is actually worse, because of the contagious angle. Punishes any and all, who try to care for the survivors. Which is quite fucked up.

This actually makes me worry for the other characters.

Off the top of my head... Meruem, Pouf, Youpi, Welfin, Knuckle, Meleoron, plus all those humans outside that Pouf had to re-hypnotize if his hypnotization thing is organic and not Nen.

foxuzamaki

Off the top of my head... Meruem, Pouf, Youpi, Welfin, Knuckle, Meleoron, plus all those humans outside that Pouf had to re-hypnotize if his hypnotization thing is organic and not Nen.

Would Pouf's spores count? the horrible thing is we might be speculating over nothing cause togashi might not even put that into play for the other characters

Top Bottom