• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

So er... does that mean that everyone is infected with the poison now?
Like... all those people waiting for selection were just standing there as the King and Pouf were chilling near them.
IS EVERYONE GOING TO DIE!?

dan2026

The King's character arc is so deliciously wonderful.

He started as a creature of pure violence, arrogance and unthinking cruelty.

He evolved into a thoughtful, calm and respectful individual, capable of empathy and kindness.

Bit of a weird question but does anyone know what sort of hat Kite wears?
What is it's name?

Kite-2011.jpg

Weird episode overall. The animators seemed to be conflicted on whether or not to make Pouf look like a bug or not, with his bug like features vanishing multiples times oddly. The awkward poison aspect ruined many of the moments because we got blood getting in the way of other really emotional scenes. It was the first time we could truly connect on multiple levels of Pouf as he bared it all for all to see laying out everything and being fully analyzed from inside and out by us. His character could truly be understood and this new light of him made him the most human character of them all with actual believable emotions. His dedication to the cause was on a level only ever seen by Killua in the anime whose fully that way to Gon, but here reflected by Pouf just made it really brilliant and stunning.

Unfortunately, I think there were other issues with the episode, that whole event could have really only took five minutes and then time spent on other things with the arc. Just way too dragged out as once the 17 minute mark came and we were still just with them, it was like is this ever taking off?

Confirming the fan theorized bomb feature was saddening. The Poison bomb has been the second major weakness of the arc, its just disappointing because this extra nonhuman element is taking out the key players too fast. When things like this happen in media it is typically considered weak writing because it shows the writer is just rushing to get to the next plot arc with the least amount of effort put into creatively closing these loose ends and delivering a powerful climax with great insight on the world and characters.

Jigolo

Weird episode overall. The animators seemed to be conflicted on whether or not to make Pouf look like a bug or not, with his bug like features vanishing multiples times oddly. The awkward poison aspect ruined many of the moments because we got blood getting in the way of other really emotional scenes. It was the first time we could truly connect on multiple levels of Pouf as he bared it all for all to see laying out everything and being fully analyzed from inside and out by us. His character could truly be understood and this new light of him made him the most human character of them all with actual believable emotions. His dedication to the cause was on a level only ever seen by Killua in the anime whose fully that way to Gon, but here reflected by Pouf just made it really brilliant and stunning.

Unfortunately, I think there were other issues with the episode, that whole event could have really only took five minutes and then time spent on other things with the arc. Just way too dragged out as once the 17 minute mark came and we were still just with them, it was like is this ever taking off?

Confirming the fan theorized bomb feature was saddening. The Poison bomb has been the second major weakness of the arc, its just disappointing because this extra nonhuman element is taking out the key players too fast. When things like this happen in media it is typically considered weak writing because it shows the writer is just rushing to get to the next plot arc with the least amount of effort put into creatively closing these loose ends and delivering a powerful climax with great insight on the world and characters.
You've been consistent with your criticism of the arc. IIt'sas if you want HxH to follow the standard shounen rules of the main protag (Gon) defeating the main antagonist (Meruem). Like OP and Naruto for example.

You should know better after 130 episodes that HxH isn't always about that. That's why I love the show so much. This entire arc Gon and Meruem never even interacted with one another and it's still the best arc in the entire show.

Philippo

Man this arc is such a rollercoaster of emotions, never felt something similar in any other anime/manga.
The King's character developement is crazy.
And Togashi really is a cynical person, that poison thing is really cruel.
But you can feel it's coming to an end (even without the announce of the new arc starting next month), everyone has already completed its purpose.
Still, i'm expecting something very powerul for the ending.

Personally, I feel like Meruem is going to
die playing against the girl. I mean, that would be the most original ending to an arc considering most anime ends with some epic battle. Plus his death was predicted. Looks like Netero won afterall?

You've been consistent with your criticism of the arc. IIt'sas if you want HxH to follow the standard shounen rules of the main protag (Gon) defeating the main antagonist (Meruem). Like OP and Naruto for example.

You should know better after 130 episodes that HxH isn't always about that. That's why I love the show so much. This entire arc Gon and Meruem never even interacted with one another and it's still the best arc in the entire show.

I liked the arc setup of Greed Island the taking down of bomber and that whole team up was incredible, or their rise through the Heavens Arena, this arc with its multiple paths is just really strange.

Hopefully next arc is a return.

andymcc

Banned
I liked the arc setup of Greed Island the taking down of bomber and that whole team up was incredible.

The final battle of Greed Island was a Divide and Conquer style team-up battle as well, but, the difference between the two, is that the assault on the Royal Palace didn't go as plan and the team had to react differently from the beginning. The plan got severely altered because of both Youpi being on the stairs AND the use of Dragon Dive.

What does a group of hunters teaming up and prevailing over the bad guys say? How does that convey a theme or idea better than literally almost every other battle shonen out there? In the end, the major players on the Hunters side, Gon and Netero, both basically acted in their own self-interest first and perhaps "to triumph over evil" after that.

Unbounded

Random thought: Shouldn't Komugi have suffocated by now?

Forget for a second that they put her in a freakin' crate and just shoved her off to the side.

Her mouth was covered, and her nose is filled with snot. Where else can she breathe from?

I now feel bad for the King. I know I shouldn't, but I can't help it.

I think this is Togashi's way of trying to get us to empathize with Meruem. The kings memory and going around trying to regain his memories back makes him seem more innocent and with his En providing him the knowledge to give mercy and understanding of someone's situation puts the king in a good light.

demidar

I think this is Togashi's way of trying to get us to empathize with Meruem. The kings memory and going around trying to regain his memories back makes him seem more innocent and with his En providing him the knowledge to give mercy and understanding of someone's situation puts the king in a good light.

Authors attempting to get the audience to empathize a villain is always weird to me, doubly so in shounen manga. I mean, Meruem killed (decapitated?) a kid just cause he could, dunno how I feel about empathizing with a child murderer.

Moaradin

Authors attempting to get the audience to empathize a villain is always weird to me, doubly so in shounen manga. I mean, Meruem killed (decapitated?) a kid just cause he could, dunno how I feel about empathizing with a child murderer.

He did it because he literally didn't know any better. Humans were just food to him.

Nibel

Nibel X Hunter 134

Oh boy, setting everything up for a big emotional finale.

Again, the King was the focus of this episode - or should I say Meruem? It kind of feels wrong calling him 'King' when a) there isn't a real kingdom to reign over anymore and b) more importantly that word 'King' seems way to abstract and not fitting for him anymore since he developed not only human characteristics but also a real personality. To me, this is one of the better characters I've encountered in all manga/anime and it is remarkable how Togashi pulled it off to change him from a brutal and relentless monster to a reflective and thoughtful being capable of sharing kindness.

The beginning of the episode kind of gave it away, and we all know how things will end for Meruem due the Rose bomb. I can already sense how bittersweet that last episode of this arc will be.

Then there is Pouf - and seeing him on the ground crying since Meruem values a human being more than him is what he deserves. Togashi plays a lot with the dictatorship imagery, and Pouf is that kind of fella who follows his leader with blind loyality into every direction - and in his case, his loyality has reached a level that leaves no space for logic and sanity. Because of other animes, I was used to the fact that every character has a special ability or a certain strength to fight and kept wondering how strong Pouf is when his real power - his unbreakable loyality - was right under my nose. Loyality pushed him to perfom manipulation at a high level, playing off characters against each other - hell, it even pushed him so far trying to manipulate Meruem himself just for his own sake. He never cared much for Meruem's wishes but more for his role as leader and king of a Chimera Ant paradise, built on the back of humanity. He might be the most evil character of this arc and dying the most horrifying way of being poisoned but not knowing it is what he deserves.

Also, I felt a lot for Welfin. Seeing him standing there and his crippled legs shaking was one thing, but the face when he realized that suddenly he was part of the food chain just like the humans he ate himself was pretty terrifying. Like always, Mad House understands it perfectly how to showcase certain emotions and you could really feel how Welfin struggled with the fact that death was upon him. Him losing his complete hair due the amount of stress and losing his mind was hard to watch, but I'm glad that he's still alive. Who would have guessed that Togashi would not only develop Welfin to a important character but also let him be the one who gives out the most valuable information?

'Komugi' - I knew right off the bat that this will have a impact on Meruem, and boy: how fucking fantastic Madhouse did that! They perfectly illustrated how Meruem put the puzzle pieces together in his head and how it changed his entire nature immediately. Seeing Pouf devastated and Meruem ignoring Welfin's statement was the icing on the cake. He always put emphasis on him being the King and yet at the very end right in front of Welfin and Pouf he has put down his crown since he found something more important to him.

Really excited to see how this entire arc will end next week. The key events that will happen are probably predictable, yes, but I can't wait to see it all animated and with great music in the background.

On one hand I agree, but I do like the concept of humanizing those that commit inhuman actions, which isn't anything new in fiction or even reality. Kind of makes the whole "gray vs gray" thing more believable IMO. No matter what atrocities someone has done, no human is purely black or white.

Of course, empathizing and forgiving aren't the same thing, so it's still nice to see villains get what they deserve.

kirblar

Because in the real world, your enemies (usually) think they're the good guys too.

Morality isn't about the actions you do in some kind of circumstantial vacuum. Harming or killing another being may always be relatively immoral compared to a hypothetical alternative, but the moral character changes vastly once you consider the circumstances in which an agent is prompted to make decisions and the degree of freedom an agent has to make decisions, because morality is a product of will. The King being essentially an infant and knowing only his inherited drives, can't have any means to will or consent to act in a 'moral' way. If he were a human adult, it would be a lot less morally ambiguous.

demidar

On one hand I agree, but I do like the concept of humanizing those that commit inhuman actions, which isn't anything new in fiction or even reality. Kind of makes the whole "gray vs gray" thing more believable IMO. No matter what atrocities someone has done, no human is purely black or white.

Of course, empathizing and forgiving aren't the same thing, so it's still nice to see villains get what they deserve.

Yeah, that's fair enough. HxH seems like it does a pretty good job of avoiding comeuppance avoidance, it's just this single example spurred my thoughts.

Yonafunu

I mean, he's pretty evil regardless if you're on the ant or human side. He played both sides like his violin and essentially got Pitou killed. Plenty of humans got murked too.

He's definitely the most wicked and antagonistic of the Ants. With Pitou being second and Youpi being third for the Royal Guards.

I know, thinking about it now, he's pretty bad. I always thought "damn, what a dick" but never explicitly "evil". It's probably because his motivation comes from his intense loyalty and love for the King. He really thinks it's the best thing to do. Sure, it also has a lot to do with his own desires, but he was completely willing to sacrifice himself for his plan, which kinda evens it out for me.

Really the fact that I could see all of the things Pouf has done and still not consider him really "evil" is just an immense testament to Togashi's characters and writing. They're all very complex.

kirblar

I know, thinking about it now, he's pretty bad. I always thought "damn, what a dick" but never explicitly "evil". It's probably because his motivation comes from his intense loyalty and love for the King. He really thinks it's the best thing to do. Sure, it also has a lot to do with his own desires, but he was completely willing to sacrifice himself for his plan, which kinda evens it out for me.

Really the fact that I could see all of the things Pouf has done and still not consider him really "evil" is just an immense testament to Togashi's characters and writing. They're all very complex.
Togashi explicitly doesn't make value judgements about the vast majority of the characters. It's part of what makes the series work.

Soriku

Pouf is kind of a dick, but he seemed to do more plotting than actually acting things out.

I didn't think he was that evil either.

Jigolo

Hunter x Hunter 134 GIFs

Plenty of GIFs today for HxHGAF since the arc is almost over ;_;

ib0Xj3hml3nYWC.gif

ibpI3DGC1mj99n.gif

i3h2fbw1NGrqO.gif

ijdm0JNSVVaAv.gif

I put all the big ones in gfycat:

Intro (first 2 min): http://gfycat.com/FlamboyantAdoredArmyworm

Pouf hiding sickness: http://gfycat.com/ExaltedMarvelousAlabamamapturtle

Meruem's En: http://gfycat.com/MassiveSaneDoe

Meruem's Power: http://gfycat.com/SorrowfulTalkativeBluewhale

Meruem's Forgiveness: http://gfycat.com/SereneWellgroomedAttwatersprairiechicken

Meruem is hungry: http://gfycat.com/HonoredWarmheartedEel

Hunter x Death Note: http://gfycat.com/OpenHollowIberiannase

Meruem can see the light: http://gfycat.com/ForthrightAngryGrunion

Fuck me I don't know if I'm ready for tomorrow.

Moaradin

It was almost exactly a year ago when I started watching this anime. Just caught the beginning of this arc. Gonna be sad once it's over :(

Biochet

The calm before the storm my friend, the calm before the storm.

Interesting fact, this arc started April 21, 2013

Wow, can't believe it's been a whole year.

At least we got one decent fight and a mini massacre.

Still hopping pouf gets butchered.

They did good in rearranging events so that everything related about Meruem and Komugi was in this episode and the stuff with the other characters in the next one.

Oh god my heart ;A;

Top Bottom