• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

Nibel

Feels X Feels 135

tumblr_m3nrsjtfLm1r9oud5.gif

There are no words currently. Beautiful, bittersweet ending.

About the pomp: I assume they did this to emphasize that the arc is basically finished.

Nibel

Apparently there was a commercial break right before the preview - so the episode basically ends with the after-credits scene, then comes the break and then the preview (I've read this on Reddit).

Jex

Really, really well-done by the animation staff.

Are you referring to the animators, because if so I don't know about that. The character animation was, by and large, pretty weak throughout this episode (and much of this arc) which kind of undercuts a lot of the character focus stuff they were trying to accomplish.

Luckily the actual direction/storyboarding/VA etc managed to carry most of the weight and effectively deliver a satisfying conclusion. It still felt more workmanlike than actually inspired, but it did the job well enough.

This episode was actually one of the few times during the arc that I think they managed to properly adapt the source material, pacing wise. They wisely chose to keep all the important King/Komugi stuff into a single episode was the right decision, as was trimming some of the lengthier rambles about the King's Nen.

kirblar

Are you referring to the animators, because if so I don't know about that. The character animation was, by and large, pretty weak throughout this episode (and much of this arc) which kind of undercuts a lot of the character focus stuff they were trying to accomplish.

Luckily the actual direction/storyboarding/VA etc managed to carry most of the weight and effectively deliver a satisfying conclusion.

This episode was actually one of the few times during the arc that I think they managed to properly adapt the source material, pacing wise. They wisely chose to keep all the important King/Komugi stuff into a single episode was the right decision, as was trimming some of the lengthier rambles about the King's Nen.
The storyboarding. I can't really judge animation quality unless its purple-bricks blatant.

Jex

Apparently there was a commercial break right before the preview - so the episode basically ends with the after-credits scene, then comes the break and then the preview (I've read this on Reddit).

This makes sense. I didn't think they would be so careless, especially after changing up the OP/ED.

Jex

There was one moment of noticably good character animation. That was when Komugi started crying.

Yeah, at least they brought it out for that sequence.

I know that, arguably, I'm asking a little much for them to roll out some great character animation for a rather dialogue heavy episode of a shounen action series but, at one time, Madhouse had some pretty amazing talent working there. Of course, I know that many of them have long since left, but still. A man can dream.

RoyalFool

Banned
Surprised by the love for the episode, the complete cop out for pouf's demise was enough to make it one of the worst episodes of the entire arc - that guy needed to be bitch slapped hard, alongside that bloody narrator.

Quite liked the ending, but my general feeling is that the whole nuclear bomb/radiation deux ex being cannon will damage the story moving forward. Doesn't matter how strong you are, what amazing god-like nen powers if a well timed bomb can render it all useless.

I also didn't like the implied sex between the second in command and palm, felt that was miscalculation and not inline with the general tone of the show.

Why the fuck didn't they detonate one of those bombs in the chimera nest (which was in the middle of nowhere) back when they infiltrated it?

Adored the previous arcs, really hope whatever we get of the next one is back to previous form (and pace)

Yonafunu

I know that, arguably, I'm asking a little much for them to roll out some great character animation for a rather dialogue heavy episode of a shounen action series but, at one time, Madhouse had some pretty amazing talent working there. Of course, I know that many of them have long since left, but still. A man can dream.

I agree, but I also agree with their decision to not use this episode for a lot of the top-notch character animation. As you said, it's just two people playing a board game.
More importantly, the character art was on-point pretty much the entire episode. Looking at the preview, it looks like next episode will be the same, which is great.

Why the fuck didn't they detonate one of those bombs in the chimera nest (which was in the middle of nowhere) back when they infiltrated it?

even then, i thought by the time they discovered it, pitou was born? her en would have prevented anyone getting that close.

More importantly, it was in the middle of a freaking forest. Millions of animals would've been poisened, and in turn would've spread that poison. That's basically killing the entirety of NGL.
Why do you guys think Netero took Meruem to a barren military testsite?

Nibel

Surprised by the love for the episode, the complete cop out for pouf's demise was enough to make it one of the worst episodes of the entire arc - that guy needed to be bitch slapped hard, alongside that bloody narrator.

First off, showing him dying would have taken time from the Meruem/Komugi scenes. You can't fit everything in just 20 minutes.

Secondly, I think the way he died was appropriate. Look at it this way:

- Pitou was someone who used a lot of physical violence. Therefore, seeing her getting annihiliated was the appropriate way for her to die. If you use physical violence to reach your goals, you should also die by it.

- Pouf was someone who used a lot of mental tricks. We know that he had a certain amount of physical strength, but what makes him really powerful is his intelligence and his dedication to scheme intrigue after intrigue to reach his goal. Also, his most valuable attribute is his loyality.

Now, what is more terrible fate to a character like Pouf: dying through physical violence knowing that he did his best to protect the king/serve his cause (remember, Pitou was 'happy' that Gon used his power to kill her)? Or realizing that everything he ever achieved and everything he believed in is meaningless because Meruem is more interested in spending time with the human he hates the most?

The moment when Welfin said Komugi's name and changed Meruem's nature was the moment when Pouf died. That mental breakdown he had, realizing that everything is lost and that there is nothing he can do anymore to serve his purpose as royal guard - that's the moment he dies in a metaphorical sense.

His corpse was just shown as kill confirmation. He didn't even bother with following Meruem. Also, check his facial expression: that terrified look. He died in mental horror - the worst kind of death that can happen to someone like him.

Quite liked the ending, but my general feeling is that the whole nuclear bomb/radiation deux ex being cannon will damage the story moving forward. Doesn't matter how strong you are, what amazing god-like nen powers if a well timed bomb can render it all useless.

Well, that's the point. Nen is a weird thing: its power is infinite and finite, really depends on who uses Nen how. The whole fight between Netero and Meruem is basically Netero playing with Meruem. Physical strength, basically the main attribute that Meruem's Nen boosted within his body, is a antique power compared to what the humans have created. The point was to show that no matter how strong the ants get, the humans already have created something incredibly terrifying that surpasses anything the ants can come up with at this point of their evolution. Just like in our real world, nuclear bombs are the most powerful kind of weapon that exist and cause the most severe damage.

I also didn't like the implied sex between the second in command and palm, felt that was miscalculation and not inline with the general tone of the show.

Did she ever sleep with him though? I don't quite remember.

The NGL is a country. A lot of people live there in harmony with nature, and killing them that way was no option. Besides, the world would have learned about the ants and that the Hunter Association used bombs which would have probably caused further trouble.

The bomb was only meant for Meruem since he was the most powerful. Remember, the first mission was to kill the queen before she gave birth to Meruem, but he was born way too early which killed her. And before they could do anything, he already infiltrated the palace and they began the natural selection process.

The only valid option was to get him to a abandoned desert where the gouverment tests weapons (in secret I suppose).

Jex

I don't think this is a very interesting question because there's just too many reasons to list, but probably the most obvious reason is no-one had any idea what kind of threat the Chimera ants would become. You don't just drop the bomb on every threat.

It wasn't until far too late that they discovered that the Ant's had learnt Nen and after that point there's practically no way that a direct attack would have worked. The only reason it even works later on is because the King is separated from his guards and caught by surprise.

There are plenty of strong criticism you could lob at this arc but I don't think this is one of then.

She can be my avatar forever (thanks to the nice guys over at the avatar request thread)

Love how she was used to change the kings character.

Komugi <3

There's only one more arc, but it's short. After that, it's all caught up. We'd probably have to wait a year or two before new episodes begin

Adored the previous arcs, really hope whatever we get of the next one is back to previous form (and pace)

I don't think they realized how big a threat the Ants were gonna be, also you have to remember that NGL forbids all technology from entering their territory

Just watched the last episode and I am so glad they animated the whole arc.. Im a huge fan of the series and hearing this arc getting animated was great news and it didn't disappoint. Just a selection of my thoughts/highlight from the arc:

- Really loved Kite's character, imo, was more emotional connected in the anime series than the manga series and watching his power in use was great.
- Loved the whole dark theme to the arc, especially with past characters dying and dismemberment etc. Brings a different dimension after the overall-cheery Greed Island arc.
- Genei Ryodan/Spiders episodes were awesome.
- A lot of the fight scenes were great, especially involving Killua, Morau, Youpi, King/Netero
- The narration for the invasion was needed, especially with so many things going on and keeping track of everyone's thoughts and plans etc. I think you guys are glad that they didn't put a stop watch counter in the anime like they did in the manga.
- So much feels for various KingxKomugi episodes, last episode and Gon vs Pitou episode
- and finally, Killua is the best goddamn main character in Shonen anywhere! In this arc, he fully developed as a character and gained awesome abilties, and showed a lot of his fighting ability. In the invasion part alone, he was involved in supporting the whole group essentially with whatever way possible, more so than the others imo.

Great arc and a very fine anime adaptation!

Even in Madhouse's heyday, a standard manga adaptation of theirs such as Kaiji would rarely feature notable character animation.

Biochet

The way he died is perfect, like many other I wanted to see him get fucked up saw style but he died alone dragging his ass over his blood like the piece of shit he is, knowing that the king has denounced his loyalty and all his hopes and dreams crushed and everything he worked so hard down the drain justifies how he died.

Moaradin

Animation looked fine to me. For a scene like that with hardly any character movements, direction/storyboarding is a lot more important and they absolutely delivered on that front.

I just wanted to say some things about this episode.

Everybody already said how amazing and emotional it is. I almost cried again even though I already knew that this was happening.

But, this episode is a special moment for me. Hunter X Hunter is one of my favorite mangas of all time and for quite a long time I had already accepted that I would never see this arc animated.

Seeing the ending of this arc right now, in animated form, brings a smile to my face. Finally! I can complain about pacing and a lot of things about this arc but, at the end, Madhouse delivered. We have reached the highest point, even though there's a short arc next to this one.

Thanks Madhouse!

Now we wait 10 years for the next arc on the manga to end and hope to see Madhouse or another studio doing an anime adaptation of it
j/k. Only not really

ss-hikaru

I freaked out a bit when the King went to Komugi and did his evil/imperial laugh. I thought for a sec that he was going to use her to continue the Chimera Ant (royalty) line. I was so relieved when I realised he was just putting on the persona she was used to, to give her the impression that nothing had changed.

I was wondering during the last couple of episodes about how Gon and Killua would fit into the finale of this arc, but they didn't feature at all. And it worked perfectly. Also, YES! Pouf is finally dead hahahaha.

I feel that Madhouse have done a really good job with this arc. I realise that they dragged things out a lot, but it felt more like suspense than padding to me XD

"Komugi, are you still there?" ;_________;

Moaradin

Now that the arc is wrapping up, I wonder if we'll see Colt and the Queen ant baby again. It's been a while since we've seen that character.

MCD

Anyone feel like making "watch Hunter x Hunter" thread? Too lazy and my passion isn't as strong as some of the posters here.

Hunter x Hunter deserves more watchers.

The bomb wasn't deus ex.

Besides it's not like they can just drop bombs on every threat, Netero had to pull the king away so that innocent people wouldn't get killed.

demidar

The bomb wasn't deus ex.

Besides it's not like they can just drop bombs on every threat, Netero had to pull the king away so that innocent people wouldn't get killed.

Yeah, I think Netero himself said he was unlikely to win in a straight up fight so he probably opted for the implanted bomb to ensure success even on death.

smurfx

get some go again
we all saw how professional morel was when it came to hunting. you really think netero was going to come in and set off a bomb not giving a damn about the possible consequences? he was going to try doing things himself without having to resort to the bomb and when he failed he did what he had to do.

Moaradin

The bomb was the whole reason he lured the king to an abandoned military base. You can't just be dropping those bombs in populated areas willy nilly.

Riposte

Nen isn't like ki from DBZ in that it doesn't put you in a state where humans and their technology are nothing to you (if anything the king was kind of an exception). Nen isn't suppose to be "god-like" to begin with.

They drove that point home that the bomb was banned after all the horrific things it has caused. It also played with the whole theme that while humanity can be very cruel, even to our own, the fact that we are still capable of stopping ourselves from total annihilation makes as humans as well. It also plays nicely with Mereum's development from instinct driven killing machine to someone who can choose whether to not to kill.

Jenov

Epic of course, but the phantom troupe was still the most epic shit ever in this series IMO. I honestly got a LITTLE annoyed by all the crying in this arc. I mean the STREAMING tears down everyone's face over and over and over again.

The story was fantastic and it was a pretty creative ending, no doubt. Still second to phantom troupe though :D

Jenov

They drove that point home that the bomb was banned after all the horrific things it has caused. It also played with the whole theme that while humanity can be very cruel, even to our own, the fact that we are still capable of stopping ourselves from total annihilation makes as humans as well. It also plays nicely with Mereum's development from instinct driven killing machine to someone who can choose whether to not to kill.

Yes, I really liked how they did the story like that. They explained how humans have evolved so much further than the ants, even though it seemed the other way around at first. Very creative turnaround from the writing there, liked it a lot.

Namikaze1

So a friend of mine recommended this anime to me. I haven't watched any anime since Kill La Kill ended and this wasn't exactly on my radar. I started yesterday and am now 35 episodes in. This show, man. This fucking show! Just finished the episode where Gon punches Hisoka. Holy crap! There goes the rest of my week.

Yonafunu

So a friend of mine recommended this anime to me. I haven't watched any anime since Kill La Kill ended and this wasn't exactly on my radar. I started yesterday and am now 35 episodes in. This show, man. This fucking show! Just finished the episode where Gon punches Hisoka. Holy crap! There goes the rest of my week.

I'd love to read your impressions, but for your own sake, you should probably get out of this thread until you catch up. Here be spoilers!

Akainu

People like you is why Hunter x Hunter was robbed 1st/2nd place in the Anime of the Year thread. *spits*

Namikaze1

I'd love to read your impressions, but for your own sake, you should probably get out of this thread until you catch up. Here be spoilers!
Honestly, I'm not bother by spoilers. Heck, I tend to spoiled future events for myself.

People like you is why Hunter x Hunter was robbed 1st/2nd place in the Anime of the Year thread. *spits*
Forgive me, Akainu-senpai! Forgive me! T.T

I barely watch animes. All I watched till Shingeki no Kyojin's first episode was Naruto. And I revisited a few that I didn't finish when they were on air. But yeah, I barely watch any nowadays.

Jex

Even in Madhouse's heyday, a standard manga adaptation of theirs such as Kaiji would rarely feature notable character animation.

While that may have been true on certain projects others looked a lot better e.g. Death Note, Ippo, Gunsligner Girl, Shigurui etc. And that's not counting the crazy Yuasa stuff e.g. Kaiba (which is kind of cheating).
That wasn't theft, that was justice.

fertygo

While that may have been true on certain projects others looked a lot better e.g. Death Note, Ippo, Gunsligner Girl, Shigurui etc. And that's not counting the crazy Yuasa stuff e.g. Kaiba (which is kind of cheating).

That wasn't theft, that was justice.

Err I don't know why Ippo in this conservation, they manage that one same with this adaptation.. they putting one episode that can looked more impressive than next 10, we talking about show that abusing frame repeating, sure there's good cut inbetween but that's weird thing to said.. and off-action episode isn't something to write home, same for Death Note.. I don't really remember the show putting work in animation where the episode only consisting character chatting to each other. and the rest isn't long-running show.

Top Bottom