• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

Honestly, I'm not bother by spoilers. Heck, I tend to spoiled future events for myself.

Forgive me, Akainu-senpai! Forgive me! T.T

I barely watch animes. All I watched till Shingeki no Kyojin's first episode was Naruto. And I revisited a few that I didn't finish when they were on air. But yeah, I barely watch any nowadays.

No dude, part of HxH's fun is not knowing what happens since they play with a lot of the usual Shonen tropes.

Abandon thread or at the very least don't read unless we are quoting your progress thru the series.

Namikaze1

No dude, part of HxH's fun is not knowing what happens since they play with a lot of the usual Shonen tropes.

Abandon thread or at the very least don't read unless we are quoting your progress thru the series.
Too late. :p

Don't worry, I haven't spoiled much yet. It was just some side characters' future and all I spoiled myself on. I couldn't help it, they were interesting characters. Though I made sure to stay away from the main characters' pages.
I needed to know more about Ponzu!

So progress report:

I got done with the Heaven Arena Arc or whatever you guys call it. I'm not gonna start Yorknew City till either later tonight or tomorrow. So far my favorite character is Hisako. Dude is insane and a complete badass. My favorite episode involves my favorite fight so far: Hisako vs Gon. I lost it when Gon finally landed that first punch. The look on Hisako's face said it all. Then the shwing! happened. I had to stop watching from laughing so hard. I finally understand the Hunter x Hunter and Naruto comparisons. It feels like Kishimoto blatantly took a whole lot of shit in the Hunter Exam arc for Pre-Shippuden Naruto. There were just so many things I couldn't help but notice that the series borrowed from HxH.

So far, I'm enjoying the ride. Much more than I did with Kill La Kill. Every episode just keeps getting better and better though I make sure to skip the recap episodes.

Moaradin

Too late. :p

Don't worry, I haven't spoiled much yet. It was just some side characters' future and all I spoiled myself on. I couldn't help it, they were interesting characters. Though I made sure to stay away from the main characters' pages.
I needed to know more about Ponzu!

I would stay clear of everything else until you catch up. Luckily that's pretty minor in the grand scheme of things. Do post your impressions though! It's fun reading thoughts from people watching for the first time.

So far, I'm enjoying the ride. Much more than I did with Kill La Kill. Every episode just keeps getting better and better though I make sure to skip the recap episodes.

The later arc will show it's age but if you power thru the initial concept it will be a fun ride.

(Thats all I'm saying')

Moaradin

That's the problem if they are condensing 3 chapters into 1 then it isn't going to be the same, thats why i read the manga

Lol you quoted a post from 3 years ago when this show was just starting. From what I know, this anime is a super faithful adaption and nothing is left out. There are a few things that were changed around but for the most part it's super accurate.

Apparently they skipped a line from the manga regarding this episode.

All of those people standing around Pouf died because of his poisonous scales. I'm too lazy to go back and check

Namikaze1

So I'm just a few episodes into Yorknew City arc. Please tell me there are better, stronger Shadow Beasts later on in the arc. The first four went out like bitches.

Namikaze1

Keep watching. :)
-_-
I just...
I expected better ones not equally crappy ones. Whoever is missing better actually put up a fight cause the rest sure as hell didn't.

The Phantom Troupe though are freaking beasts. Kurapika (I'm just gonna call him Kura from now on) gonna need to train some more, a lot more to take them all down. I can't imagine how much stronger the leader is.

Namikaze1

So Kurapika rose up several ranks in my favorite HxH characters list. That fight with Ubogin (the hell is up with these weird names?!) came close in beating out Hisoka vs Gon for me. I'm gonna take a short break before watching the next episode.

The anime is quickly becoming one of my favorite animes. It's definitely my Anime of the Year (don't care that the new version came out in 2011)

Nibel

So Kurapika rose up several ranks in my favorite HxH characters list. That fight with Ubogin (the hell is up with these weird names?!) came close in beating out Hisoka vs Gon for me. I'm gonna take a short break before watching the next episode.

The anime is quickly becoming one of my favorite animes. It's definitely my Anime of the Year (don't care that the new version came out in 2011)

Good brah. You are doing the right thing.

Yorknew Arc is pretty ace; Kurapika's ability is pretty neat and the whole thing has a lot of crime thriller elements to it. I'm sure other posters can analyze that arc better than me, but yeah: I liked it a lot. There is still a lot of great content in that arc for you to watch :)

Chimera Ant didn't end up with a bang but with a whimper. The next arc is about 30 or so chapters if I remember? So I could see it being finished off in 13 episodes but I'm probably wrong on chapter number.

Namikaze1

Fuck, I can't watch another episode tonight. This is too much for me. My emotions dammit! As much as I liked Pitou, she had it coming. Gon annihilated her. Goddamn, she stood no chance against him.

You know what this arc lacked? Hisoka. I miss that guy. ;_;

Namikaze1

So my impressions so far:

Greed Island Arc:
Not a fan of this arc. It felt like a step back from the excellent Yorknew City arc. The arc's antagonist is so forgettable the only thing I can actually remember of him is his alias. Hell, that particular part of the arc was rather dull compare to Gon meeting Razor and trying to get a win out of him. At least Razor was connected to Ging, somewhat advancing the story. The bomber was just that. Forgettable. Overall, the whole arc felt like a long ass training montage. Yes, I know that Ging designed Greed Island to be a training ground for Gon.

Chimera Ant Arc (so far):
Kite, man. Such a badass. I cried when they showed that shot. You know the one. There were some things I didn't like and those involved some events taking placed after Gon and Killua escaped the forest and before the palace assault. That whole Palm date thing I felt was unnecessary. And then there's the whole sending a small group to deal with an army of Nen using Chimera Ants. And waiting a whole month before dealing with the threat? I mean I know they have to scout and all but man they took their time doing so and because of that, the Queen Ant was able to give birth to Meruem.

Edit: one more thing. Bisky needs to show up more often. The interactions between her and the boys, specifically Killua, are hilarious.

So my impressions so far:

Greed Island Arc:
Not a fan of this arc. It felt like a step back from the excellent Yorknew City arc. The arc's antagonist is so forgettable the only thing I can actually remember of him is his alias. Hell, that particular part of the arc was rather dull compare to Gon meeting Razor and trying to get a win out of him. At least Razor was connected to Ging, somewhat advancing the story. The bomber was just that. Forgettable. Overall, the whole arc felt like a long ass training montage. Yes, I know that Ging designed Greed Island to be a training ground for Gon.

Chimera Ant Arc (so far):
Kite, man. Such a badass. I cried when they showed that shot. You know the one. There were some things I didn't like and those involved some events taking placed after Gon and Killua escaped the forest and before the palace assault. That whole Palm date thing I felt was unnecessary. And then there's the whole sending a small group to deal with an army of Nen using Chimera Ants. And waiting a whole month before dealing with the threat? I mean I know they have to scout and all but man they took their time doing so and because of that, the Queen Ant was able to give birth to Meruem.

Edit: one more thing. Bisky needs to show up more often. The interactions between her and the boys, specifically Killua, are hilarious.

the dodgeball game was great in Greed Island

the King was born way ahead of the predicted time, they thought they had a while longer, so were trying to be as careful and thorough as possible. The reason why they only sent such a small group should be explained.

I'm jealous of you, Namizake, so very jealous! To watch everything without the agonizing waits that we all experienced. I imagine the pacing issues many of us complained about is hardly noticeable when you are doing a marathon. I'm looking forward to my rewatch of the whole series in about a year's time.

Namikaze1

the dodgeball game was great in Greed Island

the King was born way ahead of the predicted time, they thought they had a while longer, so were trying to be as careful and thorough as possible. The reason why they only sent such a small group should be explained.
I agree that the dodgeball game was great but it was one of the few shining moments in a rather dull arc. I know about NGL and their issues with the other nations. My problem lies in the Hunters letting more people die while they spend a month scouting and in Gon and Killua's case, trying to get wooden seal halves from Morel's students.

I'm jealous of you, Namizake, so very jealous! To watch everything without the agonizing waits that we all experienced. I imagine the pacing issues many of us complained about is hardly noticeable when you are doing a marathon. I'm looking forward to my rewatch of the whole series in about a year's time.
Sometimes it pays to wait. :)
I can't imagine how the manga readers feel, having to wait for so long till the manga comes out of hiatus only to return to said status soon after.

Unbounded

So, Uvogin was a master enhancer and clearly had some insane raw power compared to most, if not almost every character we've seen thus far.

How would've he had fared against the Chimera Ants?

I mean, what Gon did was basically a pure power boost to kill Pitou, and it's pretty clear that Uvogin was in another league in terms of raw power compared to Gon.

So was Uvogin at least comparable to Gon-San?

kirblar

Gon-San was King-tier, and a level that Gon would not have been able to achieve naturally, as he compressed all of his potential lifetime Nen "production" into an incredibly small timeframe. Ulvogin would have had nothing on either of them, but that's the case for all humans.

Hey, just a question for those more in the know than me, have the creators of the anime actually said they're going to be stopping when they reach the end of the next arc or is it just assumed? If not could they possibly do like other shows do and start making filler arcs? I'm not saying I want this, I just wonder what concrete announcements, if any, have been made about the future of the show.

So, Uvogin was a master enhancer and clearly had some insane raw power compared to most, if not almost every character we've seen thus far.

How would've he had fared against the Chimera Ants?

I mean, what Gon did was basically a pure power boost to kill Pitou, and it's pretty clear that Uvogin was in another league in terms of raw power compared to Gon.

So was Uvogin at least comparable to Gon-San?

I can see Uvogin at the very least drawing against Youpi, but have trouble with other RGs. He can definitely lay the smack down on lower ants.

kirblar

Hey, just a question for those more in the know than me, have the creators of the anime actually said they're going to be stopping when they reach the end of the next arc or is it just assumed? If not could they possibly do like other shows do and start making filler arcs? I'm not saying I want this, I just wonder what concrete announcements, if any, have been made about the future of the show.
There's a perfect stopping point right before the start of the next arc that was pretty clearly intended to function as a finale if necessary. Not using it for the Anime (and animating arcs individually going forward) would be sort of silly.

OmegaX

I can see Uvogin at the very least drawing against Youpi, but have trouble with other RGs. He can definitely lay the smack down on lower ants.
I think you are overestimating Uvogin's power. I'd say he was about Razor's level at most. Remember that even before using Chain jail, Kurapika was pretty much evenly matched with him.

Jex

Gon-San was King-tier, and a level that Gon would not have been able to achieve naturally, as he compressed all of his potential lifetime Nen "production" into an incredibly small timeframe. Ulvogin would have had nothing on either of them, but that's the case for all humans.

You don't even have to explain the reasons for it. After all, it's just classic power creep!

Remember, the Troupe were not able to beat even lower ants without suffering a bit of damage. I highly doubt Uvogin would be able to take on the royal guards, even if he could take out the ones only a level below them.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
wow

WOW

WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW

That was amazing. What a beautiful ending to this arc. No wonder why I like HxH so much!

Vitanimus

I know I'm running into a landmine with this thread but I just finished episode 100 after binge watching the series a week after my friend recommended it. It's SO GOOD. There have been minimal drops in quality that are super refreshing after mainly watching 13/26 episode series. I've enjoyed the Chimera Ant arc so far, kinda hoping it wraps up soon. I miss the hunter exam when the gang was all together. ;A;

Moaradin

I know I'm running into a landmine with this thread but I just finished episode 100 after binge watching the series a week after my friend recommended it. It's SO GOOD. There have been minimal drops in quality that are super refreshing after mainly watching 13/26 episode series. I've enjoyed the Chimera Ant arc so far, kinda hoping it wraps up soon. I miss the hunter exam when the gang was all together. ;A;

Ant arc is just beginning :D

You are at the point where it starts getting into the major stuff though.

Remember, the Troupe were not able to beat even lower ants without suffering a bit of damage. I highly doubt Uvogin would be able to take on the royal guards, even if he could take out the ones only a level below them.

I think this is more because they were scouting out abilities before doing anything. They all managed to dispatch their opponents with relative ease when they wanted to. That being said I don't think they would be able to take on the royal guard unless they ganged up one at a time, but even them I'm not so sure. I think they would have been able to at least deal with the royal guard as well as the chimera ant extermination did.

I remember Shalnark and Shizuku having a rough time, but their abilities are not combat oriented.

Feitan was just overly confident, and the Troupe even mentioned that he was pretty slow and rusty. He got hurt because he was surprised and got hit while using Ko (ZERO defense). He demolished the Ant with Pain Packer.

Jigolo

iHItKf4.jpg

Top Bottom