• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

The character animation in this episode was surprisingly spotty, as were some of the proportions (that table) but I guess they're reserving their effort for later parts of this arc.

I really think a lot more could have been done with the direction, especially with regards to Pariston, but eh, I wasn't really expecting much. He's basically just a caricature of a incredibly slimy populist politician and I've always felt that was a little too on the nose.

From a world building/story perspective there's a lot of "narrative hand waving" to explain certain things like the spontaneous appearance of the Zodiacs (it sure would have helped to have them fight the Ants!) and Hisoka's inability to keep up with major international news.

I also find it pretty strange that there's even 661 Hunters in the Association. With 18 missing, and the fact that some have died during the series, I find it strange that there's just so many in existence, especially when during the very first arc of the show that some years no one even becomes a Hunter. But whatever.

The ED song is awful.

This is the next arc and the last one they will be adapting.
It makes sense that didn't get involved with the ants because they knew Netero. I also think the lack of hints at the zodiacs is because of how Ging is apart of them and since people didn't talk too much about Ging I wouldn't expect them to talk about people on his level.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
New opening was cool, but the ending sucks. I didn't like it at all. Probably the second worst ending in the series so far. As for the episode itself, it was interesting to say the least, because we got to see the Zodiac's attitudes and Gin's intellect. Everyone assumes he's an idiot, but in reality he's a skilled critical thinker. It was also nice to see all the returning characters to go and vote! The bit with Hisoka and Illumi was great to transition into the next episode about the Zoldyck's.

Edit:

Gonna definitely miss the piano outro for the ending now. ;(

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
I too only watch the anime. We're definitely gauging these guys differently. This is how I've interpreted everything I've seen thus far.

- Chrollo can likely beat Zeno. Of course this is not confirmed at all but Zeno did admit if he tried to fight seriously, Chrollo most likely would've won.
- Hisoka is confident he could beat Chrollo. I'd put them on par with each other. ( I REALLY WANT TO SEE THIS FIGHT)
- During the infiltration, Pitou and Zeno were able to see just how strong they each were when their nen touched. Zeno did not seem intimidated at all. Not until he felt Meruem's aura did he start shaking in his boots.
- IMO if Zeno wasn't intimidated by Pitou, I would imagine he doesn't think he is outclassed in anyway unlike with Meruem (and Netero [as he admitted]). I'm not saying he would win in a fight against Pitou but I don't think he would be bodied either.
- Thus why I think niether Chrollo nor Hisoka would be destroyed by the RG.

This is where the reasoning falls apart. Hisoka cannot beat Zeno nor was Zeno not being intimidated by Pitou a correlation to Pitou's strength against Zeno, Pitou was simply unable to engage because he always goes after the immediate threat and she was completely outclassed by Netero. Anyway, in this episode, you clearly saw Hisoka being confident about fighting either the ant king or Netero so if nothing else, Hisoka's confidence is completely ill-informed.

If you want to stack it in terms of power class where each level above is higher than the level below:

Meruem (post-op)
Meruem, Gon (post-op)
Netero
Royal Guards
Zeno, Chrollo
Zeno's Son, ???, etc...
Hisoka, some Zodiac, etc...

Mael

I too only watch the anime. We're definitely gauging these guys differently. This is how I've interpreted everything I've seen thus far.

- Chrollo can likely beat Zeno. Of course this is not confirmed at all but Zeno did admit if he tried to fight seriously, Chrollo most likely would've won.
- Hisoka is confident he could beat Chrollo. I'd put them on par with each other. ( I REALLY WANT TO SEE THIS FIGHT)
- During the infiltration, Pitou and Zeno were able to see just how strong they each were when their nen touched. Zeno did not seem intimidated at all. Not until he felt Meruem's aura did he start shaking in his boots.
- IMO if Zeno wasn't intimidated by Pitou, I would imagine he doesn't think he is outclassed in anyway unlike with Meruem (and Netero [as he admitted]). I'm not saying he would win in a fight against Pitou but I don't think he would be bodied either.
- Thus why I think niether Chrollo nor Hisoka would be destroyed by the RG.

considering what we know of the RG and Hisoka/Chrollo.
Regular Yupi would have crushed them the instant they posed a threat to the King.
Hisoka/Chrollo have nothing that can even harm Yupi anyway.
The only one who probably would have been less of an issue is probably Pufu but could they even score a hit against a foe that can accurately sense his opponent and can have no corporal form as far as they're concerned?
All the royal guards are basically well above Netero before he did his training from hell.
Zeno can't touch Netero, his comments implied as much.
Chrollo is probably above Zeno in a serious fight but Silva is certainly above Zeno
He says as much.
And Hisoka is confident he could beat anyone anyway (he would have creamed himself fighting against the King even if the fight lasted less than 2 seconds).

Philippo

Wow, strangely addictive episode, Togashi knows how to keep his fans hooked.
Ging has some crazy foresight, maybe it's a Nen ability? I love how he just basically want to fuck up Pariston's chances.
Lovely to see basically every Hunter (from Menchi to Bisky or Wing) showing up, and of course Hisoka (with Illumi), it's been so long i started to miss this twisted fucker <3
Can't wait to see where it goes, sadly by the end of the year series will be finished :/

Oh, and while OP new video is cool, i'm death sick of Departure.

edit: and give me more of Rabbit, she's new waifu material after
Pitou :(
. So strange to find attractive girls in an anime that doesn't push them in yo' face (like every other basically)

WOW, I have a feeling this could be my favourite arc. I am so excited for this.

Was the arc completed in the manga or is he continuing with this arc now?

vareon

The very small screentime of Gon in the OP gives me the chills, holy shit. We've finally come to this point ;_;

You know what, my country just had a presidential election today and now I'm watching the start of the election arc. So hyped.

Jex

Pariston is Pouf v2.
Ehh Pouf displays some obvious weaknesses that Pariston doesn't appear to share. Pariston is also extremely popular, commanding the vote of the majority of the Hunter Association, demonstrating an ability to influence and control people that Pouf never displayed.

Ging is a cool guy, but do they ever explain why he doesn't seem to give a fuck about Gon, or just has a really weird perspective on fatherhood?

Really curious why these zodiac dudes are eager for the director position, especially when most of them seem like guys that rather be out in the field then behind a desk. Management position sucks irl.

demidar

What was shown in the new OP gets me hyped.

It's nice to be back in the wider world, where all these different factions can interact.

Heyt

Banned
The art direction on the opening is great. I did not like this episode much since politics focused plots are not my thing for anime but it was a good choice for the series to go with it for setting up the rest of the arc and giving us a better sense of the magnitude of recent events.

Ruuppa

So the
little girl from the new OP is Killua's brother? The author's penchant for girly boys is confusing me to no end!

kewlmyc

hisoka.png

DNfAcVl.jpg

New opening was cool, but the ending sucks. I didn't like it at all. Probably the second worst ending in the series so far. As for the episode itself, it was interesting to say the least, because we got to see the Zodiac's attitudes and Gin's intellect. Everyone assumes he's an idiot, but in reality he's a skilled critical thinker. It was also nice to see all the returning characters to go and vote! The bit with Hisoka and Illumi was great to transition into the next episode about the Zoldyck's.

Edit:

Gonna definitely miss the piano outro for the ending now. ;(

dude the piano outro was such a great transition. They stuck with Hyori Ittai, so they should have stuck with the other ending. New one sucks, even more than the 4th ending.

Good as always. I am not feeling Ging's voice though.

He did.

Ging's voice is great IMO.
I'll have to go back and read it.

Interesting, fun episode. From the opening and the last moments of the episode, it seems that the Zoldycks might be a focal point of this arc, with Killua being the one at the forefront of it all.

I'd say this arc is like half politics and half Zoldyck family issues (and boy what issues)

Well, Killua
says she is his sister, while everyone else in the family refers to her in the masculine

Yeah
it's either her being trans or there's some other confusing thing there.

Ging's voice is perfect. Sounds like a man who's been through it. I'm curious about Netero's will. I'm assuming Ging and him were real close. I think Ging is doing this to Gon as a way to strengthen him so he can get on his level and they can truly bond as equals. It's his form of tough love. You've seen how he made that whole game on Greed Island just for him. Ging is a genius it seems.

Mrcapcom

Anyone going to Otakon this year? I'm still on point for going as Morel I don't have the skill to make the pipe so I'm doing it post "whats his power" Morel when the pipe was wrapped up:

Otakon Rules is that I can't have a prop higher than 6'6'' so I'll maybe make it around 5ft or so

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Yeah, I watched the episode last night and meant to comment here but I am excited for this arc, togashi really loves his girly boys.

Wiseblade

I know I'm late but...

Chimera Ant Arc END

Just as drawn out drawn out than I remember. When I read the manga, Youpi vs Knuckle felt like it went on forever. It really soured me on the entire arc. The post-rose events actually felt longer in the anime when I have to listen to all the dialogue rather than read it, so it all balanced out.

Election/Alluka Arc starts no-THEY PUT IT IN THE OP HOLY CRAP

Tuck

Maybe i misread, but didn't one of the Zodiac says they where above the level for chimera ants mission?

I wasn't sure if they meant that, or that the ant mission was actually beyond their capabilities and so Netero should have called for them.

Philippo

I wasn't sure if they meant that, or that the ant mission was actually beyond their capabilities and so Netero should have called for them.

Probably the latter and they just chose a bad translation for the subs.
No way Knov/Morel are above chimera ants as a mission.

137 was fun and I thought kinda funny. Change of tone is nice. Liked the new opening.

Some random thoughts. Ging is as asshole dad, lol. Seems an interesting guy. Like the Zodiacs, though they looking kinda weird, hehe.

It was nice seeing Hisoka. Trouble is a brewing! I do find it weird he wouldn't watch the news.

And I just want to see my man crush Kurapika again ;)

Big One

Banned
How does yu yu hakusho compare to hunter x hunter? I want to start reading a good manga that has already ended.
It's pretty good, height of the series is the Black Chapter arc in my opinion until the end which was bullshit imo.

Solid series overall, but in my opinion Hunter x Hunter is much better. It's more cohesive and has a stronger sense of continuity and character development.

You'll probably like it if you like Hunter x Hunter and vice-versa. Very similar. YHH even does a lot of things outside of the conventions of shonen manga, even though Hunter x Hunter does this on a whole nother level.

still think negima has the best drawn shounen fights ever in manga form, shame the manga had an identity crisis and was canceled.

So what does a director of the hunter association even do? Seems like the job hunters would least want to do, seems like a desk job >.<

How does yu yu hakusho compare to hunter x hunter? I want to start reading a good manga that has already ended.

Yu Yu Hakusho is a very standard shounen. On one hand, it's a product of its time, yet it still advanced the genre with its variety in fights and stuff. Felt like the natural progression of battle shounen after other big names like Saint Seiya and DB/Z ended/were close to ending.

Then Togashi took all the tropes he helped further the definition of and turned them on its head with HxH. That may make YYH sound like a regression, but really they're just pretty different and hard to compare. The only arc in HxH that really follows some kind of shounen formula is Greed Island, whereas with YYH, the entire series does.

I'd say go for it, though. It's among my favorite series in the genre and I know that isn't an unpopular opinion. Just don't expect HxH.

Top Bottom