• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

Remaking Yu Yu hakusho would be a waste of time imo, its pretty much perfect as is.

Rurouni Kenshin now..there's a series that could use a HxH 2011 style remake

I rewatched Rurouni Kenshin last year. It... didn't hold up that much for me. Except for the earlier parts of Shishio arc, it felt pretty childish. I don't know if it's the same in the manga, but there are so many episodes where trouble is brewing until Kenshin arrives and whoops everyone.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I rewatched Rurouni Kenshin last year. It... didn't hold up that much for me. Except for the earlier parts of Shishio arc, it felt pretty childish. I don't know if it's the same in the manga, but there are so many episodes where trouble is brewing until Kenshin arrives and whoops everyone.

You should watch samurai x reflection ova, its the story of kenshin-batousai the manslayer aka shinto before he became who he is as we know now, its a really great story thats super dark and mature, also has alot of blood and gore but its a beautiful love story.

I just finished watching YYH, but I watched the sub version. The show was good for the most part, but the last arc was pretty bad. Is the dub version that much better?

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

You should watch samurai x reflection ova, its the story of kenshin-batousai the manslayer aka shinto before he became who he is as we know now, its a really great story thats super dark and mature, also has alot of blood and gore but its a beautiful love story.
Oh and dont watch the OVA dubbed, its different from the series dub and is complete garbage

I just finished watching YYH, but I watched the sub version. The show was good for the most part, but the last arc was pretty bad. Is the dub version that much better?

Personally I find the dub as the optimal way to watch that particular series I watched the sub some time after finishing the dub for the first time and it just didn't feel right.

Frog-fu

Banned
I think it's just as dark if not more so than HxH.

Some of the characters (
manga version Mukuro
) had gruesome backstories.

True, some characters had particularly dark background stories, but I think for the most part YYH was a standard affair monster bashing with the occasional dark revelation. I think HxH is actually almost always dark even when it doesn't make that obvious. That's just my opinion though.

M3d10n

The live action movie was awesome. It cuts all the bullshit.

Who's hyped?

tumblr_n8eug2S6Iq1s8tufmo2_500.jpg

"I'm hyped!"

Jigolo

Hunter x Hunter 138

Alluka's power is truly terrifying. It's going to be interesting how Killua will be able to control that huge handicap he will place on himself to try and save Gon. I loved that scene when Silva said Alluka wasn't family. Killuas reaction to that was awesome.

Pariston reminds me of that person that tries to twist things and make up some kind of scheme to get his way. Plays the good guy that everyone seems to like for the public but for those in the know like the Zodiacs he just always seems like he's up to something and always finds a way to get there without stepping out of bounds entirely or bending the rules. I mean I don't really think his scheming is necessary since it looks like he will clearly get the majority vote when the voter turn out is above 95% but hey I guess he wants to be 100% certain.

Cheadle clearly knows that if anyone can 1-up (or outsmart, per se) Pariston it's going to be Ging.

faint.

I expected the anime to label Alluka as either a male or female this episode, although I guess I expected her to be considered a male after Illumi's comments last week.

I can understand Pitou being labeled as a male since she's an ant, but when Killua says sister and his mother calls Alluka a he I don't even know anymore. ._.

I will clear this up before hand the reasoning of why they say him,her and it when referring to Akulla. Note these are not really spoilers but some people might complain so I'll put them in the spoiler tags.

First off Akulla is Male like every other Zodiack offspring. Killua is the only person who refers to Akulla as a female and only refers to him as his sister. As for It rather then a gender is done by some members of the Zodiack family. So remember no matter how cute Akulla might act he has a dick.

Soriku

Alluka's power is one of the best and definitely the most terrifying in the series. Imagine if they used his/her power to kill the King. The next denied request would be a massive bloodbath.

Jex

Well, I can't say I'm a fan of they way they handled that flashback. Specifically, I mean the HUGE black border (which occasionally characters stand in front of and at others times it's in front of them. Why is it inconsistent) + out of focus blur on the edge of the box. We're not idiots, we understand the events are happening in the past, we don't need to you to smear the screen in crap. So distracting.

Everything else was fine.

Well, I can't say I'm a fan of they way they handled that flashback. Specifically, I mean the HUGE black border (which occasionally characters stand in front of and at others times it's in front of them. Why is it inconsistent) + out of focus blur on the edge of the box. We're not idiots, we understand the events are happening in the past, we don't need to you to smear the screen in crap. So distracting.

I usually don't agree with most of your points, I have to completely agree here. Completely unneeded and was just annoying choice.

fertygo

Holy shit, that creepy as fuck.. give me chill, great eps, the border thing is bad but I'm too engrossed to bothered with it.

smurfx

get some go again
happy to see alluka finally animated. although they didn't show the squished bodies of the first person to deny her requests.

Ghost King

Neo Member
illumillukilluallukalluto that's why in the previous preview the narrator said the names of the brothers, so you can guess the name of the missing bro/sis.

138- I love every scene when Pariston and Ging are, It's difficult to know what those characters are thinking It makes it more interesting.
The explanation of Alluka's powers in this episode was clear, when they explained this in the manga it was really confusing for a lot people.

Not a fan of the frame in the flashback, too. The series had flashbacks before and they weren't used.

Well, this was Explanations x Explanations, and a bit more of Pariston being a smart pain in the ass. I liked when Killua turned his dad's promise over him to win the argument, and the big dog in the room. There is a bit of retcon? with Killua thinking "how did I allow having my little sister locked away? Surely it was Illumi's needle" when truly I think Alluka's character wasn't still in Togashi's mind.
Overall it hasn't advanced the plot a lot, but we are still in the setup phase.

RoyalFool

Banned
Really loving this new arc, despite the lack of any fights and it mostly being dialogue.

Which is odd considering I hated the last dozen episodes of the previous arc for almost the same reason. I think the key difference is the characters talking, rather than that fucking narrator.

That little sister is scary as hell, but I don't quite get the rules. At first it said if you don't give it 4 of her requests demands you and someone you love dies, fair enough.

Then later it said the requests increase based on the size of the previous wish she granted, OK - makes sense.

But then towards the end it said the number of people who die is based on the size of the previous wish - but it sounds like it's just random people who die, rather than loved ones. How does that work?

Trying to figure out how much shit Killua will be in when he gets his wish, at first I figured it'd just be the next poor sap wanting a wish who'll pay the price.

Also - I want to know what shit goes down if you dare wish for infinite wishes :D

My prediction for this arc..

Leorio will be the one to cure Gon - he left 200 odd episodes a go to become a doctor right? If his growth is anything like Killua/Gon he's bound to be able to do it by now. Can't see them using the little sister for it, the repercussions will be insane.

Alluka will ask three requests. If you grant her requests, she will give you a wish. Now, the severity of the requests depends on how "big" the previous wish was so in the first case, Alluka just asked to be picked up and go up stairs and go up. If the previous wish was big, then the next requests will be severe such as asking for organs. If someone refuses four requests, they will die in addition to the person they love, but this is also dependent upon how big the previous wish was, so in addition to one who refuses to grant any requests and the one they love most, it will continue down a list of who they love. I think in this episode, 67 people died because of the failed requests.

Jex

Well, this was Explanations x Explanations, and a bit more of Pariston being a smart pain in the ass. I liked when Killua turned his dad's promise over him to win the argument, and the big dog in the room. There is a bit of retcon? with Killua thinking "how did I allow having my little sister locked away? Surely it was Illumi's needle" when truly I think Alluka's character wasn't still in Togashi's mind.
Overall it hasn't advanced the plot a lot, but we are still in the setup phase.

Well that's pretty clear I think, he's just chucking in characters wherever he wants. Frankly the whole "needle" thing was always a weird way to change Killua's character anyway.

Re: the explanation for Alluka's power: I actually think it was slightly rushed in this episode and non-manga readers might have had some trouble understanding it even though it's relatively simple. Maybe if we'd had slightly less shots of identical doors opening they could have fit it in?

Yonafunu

The one part I felt was a bit unclear/rushed was the rule about the loved ones, but that should be cleared up next week.

And I actually really liked the black borders during the flashback. It was the combination of the borders and the reliance on a lot of (medium) close-ups that made it work for me (which was obviously the intention).

I expected the anime to label Alluka as either a male or female this episode, although I guess I expected her to be considered a male after Illumi's comments last week.

I can understand Pitou being labeled as a male since she's an ant, but when Killua says sister and his mother calls Alluka a he I don't even know anymore. ._.

I think boy who identifies as a girl.

Soriku

Then later it said the requests increase based on the size of the previous wish she granted, OK - makes sense.

But then towards the end it said the number of people who die is based on the size of the previous wish - but it sounds like it's just random people who die, rather than loved ones. How does that work?

As I understood it, the minimum punishment is that you and your loved one dies. As Alluka's requests get more and more extreme, so does the punishment; so not only would you and your loved one die, many other people would as well.

It's not clear just who is affected though, and whether those 67 people (65 excluding the requested person + their lover?) who died had some sort of connection to the person who couldn't grant the request, or were truly random and just were in the general surrounding area.

Soriku

The episode implied that since Alluka's last granted wish was giving Killua's brother Milluki a high-end computer, the requests afterwards shouldn't be too extreme right?

How did Milluki fulfill the requests before he got the computer? The requests should've been extreme at that point right? lol.

The episode implied that since Alluka's last granted wish was giving Killua's brother Milluki a high-end computer, the requests afterwards shouldn't be too extreme right?

How did Milluki fulfill the requests before he got the computer? The requests should've been extreme at that point right? lol.

He probably just put in some poor sap be in the same room as Alluka like what Illumi did. Seems like the best time to wish is right after the severe request and punishment was just handed out. He might have requested the computer after all those 67 people died, too.

Soriku

He probably just put in some poor sap be in the same room as Alluka like what Illumi did. Seems like the best time to wish is right after the severe request and punishment was just handed out. He might have requested the computer after all those 67 people died, too.

Oh...do the requests become less extreme if a wish isn't granted?

Top Bottom