• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Yu Yu Hakusho is a very standard shounen. On one hand, it's a product of its time, yet it still advanced the genre with its variety in fights and stuff. Felt like the natural progression of battle shounen after other big names like Saint Seiya and DB/Z ended/were close to ending.

Then Togashi took all the tropes he helped further the definition of and turned them on its head with HxH. That may make YYH sound like a regression, but really they're just pretty different and hard to compare. The only arc in HxH that really follows some kind of shounen formula is Greed Island, whereas with YYH, the entire series does.

I'd say go for it, though. It's among my favorite series in the genre and I know that isn't an unpopular opinion. Just don't expect HxH.

The best thing about YYH are the character interaction. but also the amazing dub that makes yusuke one of my favorite characters ever.

Another thing about YYH is Smile Bomb is the most nostalgia-inducing OP in anime and possibly all music ever, even if you've never heard it before.

Daingurse

How does yu yu hakusho compare to hunter x hunter? I want to start reading a good manga that has already ended.

I've been watching the series again myself on Blu Ray, it's still one of the best battle shounens ever made. A lot more traditional than Hunter x Hunter though, Yusuke's power is fucking clutch. Dub is also one of my favorites ever.

Why is this so good? It has no right being that good.

Lol, I agree. Timeless OP.

The best thing about YYH are the character interaction. but also the amazing dub that makes yusuke one of my favorite characters ever.

I remember the Cartoon Network/Toonami(?) commercial for YYH

Never would have given it a chance but the eng voice acting of Yusuke made me laugh (in a good way) so I had to check it out.

The beginning of the manga is very character centric before it goes into battle mode.
I think its like 5+ chapters without a single punch thrown.I would watch the anime first, then read the manga. The manga (especially in the beginning) has little stories/chapters not told in the anime.

Also isn't the ED music the same song as the last arc's (only the second half of it), or are you guys talking about the episode preview music.
I remember JoJo Season 1 splitting their ED theme (YES song) up into 2 parts playing one half in the beginning and then switching it up at the halfway point.

Either way I can understand if you don't like that part of the song, but I wouldn't say it completely sucks when it's the same song as the last arc (or at least it sounds like it is)

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Forgot to mention, but from the latest episode I'm happy we finally got to hear some of the old soundtrack used during the hunter exam and York New arc. Some of those tracks weren't ever used in the chimera ant arc so it's nice to see their return!

FluxWaveZ

Forgot to mention, but from the latest episode I'm happy we finally got to hear some of the old soundtrack used during the hunter exam and York New arc. Some of those tracks weren't ever used in the chimera ant arc so it's nice to see their return!

Yeah, though some of the new tracks during the Chimera Ant Arc were pretty good and probably won't be used outside of it.

One of my favorites, mainly because of the scenes it accompanied, was this; wonder if it'll return once again.

It's pretty good, height of the series is the Black Chapter arc in my opinion until the end which was bullshit imo.

Solid series overall, but in my opinion Hunter x Hunter is much better. It's more cohesive and has a stronger sense of continuity and character development.

You'll probably like it if you like Hunter x Hunter and vice-versa. Very similar. YHH even does a lot of things outside of the conventions of shonen manga, even though Hunter x Hunter does this on a whole nother level.

Listen to this man. Some people will try to tell you that the Dark Tournament is the best arc, but they're wrong.

I still maintain that dub Yusuke is the best goddamn shounen Protagonist of all time, his wise ass quips never gets old.

I love Yusuke, but I don't think he's the best. He's great though, and probably has my favorite dubbed voice for a protagonist ever aside from maybe the cast of DBZ and Gurren Lagann.

I would be so hyped if they remade Yu Yu Hakusho. Deserves the Hunter x Hunter treatment.

Mortemis

Banned
I would be so hyped if they remade Yu Yu Hakusho. Deserves the Hunter x Hunter treatment.

Imagine if the HxH Madhouse team loved Togashi's work, they decided to work on YYH after HxH is done. The old anime is still good, but man. I'd need to wait for a dub though, can't feel it without english Yusuke.

Moaradin

Watch the YYH anime and with the dub, it's great. And I don't know how much a new anime remake could improve. I guess the animation could be a little better since the old anime is probably starting to look a little dated, but the pacing was great and there was hardly any filler.

Unbounded

Probably the latter and they just chose a bad translation for the subs.
No way Knov/Morel are above chimera ants as a mission.

At least on Knov, he was doing pretty well against the Royal Guard despite running at like 40%.

I mean, let's think for a sec:

He was able to fight pouf and keep him contained for a decent amount of time. If he'd realized what was going on, (which again, he was running on a lack of sleep), he could've easily killed pouf in his smaller state.

Had he succeeded in defeating pouf, he wouldn't have lost his pipe, and he would've been able to help the others against Youpi even more than he did with his pipe already missing.

As for Knov? Eh....

I mean, Knov could fight pretty damn well, but seeing him basically shit himself so hard his hair fell out, iunno...

At least on Morel, he was doing pretty well against the Royal Guard despite running at like 40%.

I mean, let's think for a sec:

He was able to fight pouf and keep him contained for a decent amount of time. If he'd realized what was going on, (which again, he was running on a lack of sleep), he could've easily killed pouf in his smaller state.

Had he succeeded in defeating pouf, he wouldn't have lost his pipe, and he would've been able to help the others against Youpi even more than he did with his pipe already missing.

As for Knov? Eh....

I mean, Knov could fight pretty damn well, but seeing him basically shit himself so hard his hair fell out, iunno...

ftfy

Knov was crucial to the operation. Without his 'Hide and Seek', it would have been wayyyyy harder to invade the palace. Shoot and Morel probably would have died if Knov wasn't there.

also without Knov they would have probably found out that Netero was picking off all the ants in the area, and blown his cover.

YHH is great but I didn't to get finish it because of Cartoon Network's weird ass schedule for the show. It pissed me off. All the characters are the great and so is the action.

Jigolo

Japanese version flows much better imo even if I can't understand the lyrics. Smile bomb is a fucking amazing track. I get all the feels just listening to it again, why did you bastards bring it up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzTIoFvHDvA

YYH is a GOAT show in the first half no doubt. Second half isn't even close to how good the first half was.

EDIT: ahh man now you guys have me watching one of my favorite scenes of YYH. I think it was the first time they played approaching darkness, it was when Tarukane (Gonzo) thought yusuke and kuwabara were killed by landmines. So badass. Episode 23 Min 20:25

Daingurse

EDIT: ahh man now you guys have me watching one of my favorite scenes of YYH. I think it was the first time they played approaching darkness, it was when Tarukane (Gonzo) thought yusuke and kuwabara were killed by landmines. So badass. Episode 23 Min 20:25

I can picture that scene perfectly, with their powerful auras. Yusuke and Kuwabara thought they were the shit, and I couldn't blame them.

This was another track I loved:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEiFqhWsOyU

Unbounded

ftfy

Knov was crucial to the operation. Without his 'Hide and Seek', it would have been wayyyyy harder to invade the palace. Shoot and Morel probably would have died if Knov wasn't there.

also without Knov they would have probably found out that Netero was picking off all the ants in the area, and blown his cover.

Hehe, my bad.

I wasn't saying how useful Knov was in general, I was talking about how useful Knov would've been in the combat situation.

Actually, now I'm thinking it over, the entire situation would've gone COMPLETELY differently if Morel and/or Knov was available at 100%.

Were Morel at 100% instead of 40%, he could've figured out Pouf's game and taken him out when he tried escaping the Smoky Jail, of course there'd have been the risk of Pouf attacking the rest of the team.

Assuming Knov could've been there, he would've been able to use his hide and seek ability to pursue Pouf outside of the smoky jail, and potentially defeat his weaker self.

I'm fairly confident that those two would've been able to do this very, very quickly and efficiently. If this happened, then once Knuckle got his hit off on Youpi, they could've used hide and seek combined with Deep Purple in order to stall him until Knuckle's ability took effect. Youpi would've been a quick kill afterwards.

As for Pitou? I don't think this would've been any different. S/he would've still gone down the same way, I feel.

Meruem though? He would've died with the Rose. Both Pouf and Youpi would have already been down for the count.

Overall a pretty similar situation, except now Knov doesn't have nen PTSD/Cancer/whatever the hell it was, Komugi would still be alive, Morel still has his pipe, Welfin wouldn't have aged 100 years, and all of the civilians would've still been alive as well.

So I say that Knov is directly responsible for the death of hundreds of thousands of lives.

You suck, Knov.

farisr

Watch the YYH anime and with the dub, it's great. And I don't know how much a new anime remake could improve. I guess the animation could be a little better since the old anime is probably starting to look a little dated, but the pacing was great and there was hardly any filler.

Honestly, I'd be totally up for a remake myself. And the pacing, though there may not have been filler (haven't read the manga) but some parts really should've been over with quick, could use some Hunter X Hunter early episodes treatment.

This doesn't mean I'm saying the earlier episodes of YYH as a whole had pacing issues, just segments here and there (throughout the series) which seemed to drag on, really became apparent to me on a rewatch (thankfully I could just forward past it since I knew what happened but still). I didn't notice it earlier because I watched the series when I was younger right after DBZ, which had horrible pacing issues due to powerups and what not. But yeah, now I just don't have the patience for some of the things they pulled.

So long story short,

YYH with new animation, redubbed, with those pacing issues fixed and no filler would be so awesome.

GWX

I watched it the first time this year (hyped for HxH, of course). Loved it, but the animation and the drawings are quite dated. A remake treatment by Madhouse would do wonders to it, and I'd love to watch it again if that was the case.

edit: and Smile Bomb is the best song ever. Mecha mechaaa~

ss-hikaru

Lol'd at the new OP animation, Killua has pretty much taken over the role of main character XD Eh, I don't mind I like Killua more than Gon.

Also wooooooah Alluka appears! I'm really curious why Illumi thinks Killua will die due to something related to Alluka....since Killua and Alluka look like best buddies in the OP haha (if that's Alluka).

Pariston is Pouf v2.

I literally yelled out "DUDE LOOKS TOO MUCH LIKE POUF!" when he appeared. I mean, I was so glad Pouf was out of the picture and this dude arrives >.<

Read Level E. It's a Togashi manga that is kinda forgotten. Funny and way weird.

I really like the anime adaptation for this, I think it's still on Crunchyroll. Waiting waiting waiting for an R4 release...

Einhander

Hunter X Hunter 137

I loved the debate, and I love the Zodiacs and Ging. This is going to be a fun arc. And what the hell, HxH GAF, no Zodiac gifs yet?

bigkrev

I'm caught up again! It sounds like 150 is going to be the last episode for a while (but just to spite my OCD, it's gonna be 149 or 151), so I'm going to try to stay current till the end.

Loved this weeks episode, it was nice to see a relatively calm episode with plot progression, and to see all the old characters again. Kurapika was the most obvious absence, but didn't several of the spiders get Hunters Licenses during Greed Island? None of them showed up either

And while Smile Bomb is great, it doesn't hold a candle to the ED songs YYH had. Funi did a great job dubbing them, to the point where some are superior to the original version (Unbalanced Kisses, The Sun Will Shine Again). The only dud among them was Sayanora Bye Bye

http://youtu.be/mOsPF2llji4
It's basically perfect

Nibel

Nibel X Hunter 137

New opening is hype and so is the ending song. Seeing them all in suits is weird though, heh.

Love how the events of the past arc aren't just ignored and are still mentioned in this arc. I was kind of surprised that Hisoka didn't know anything about the Chimera Ants, and guess he didn't find Chrollo. The new plot and characters are pretty interesting and I love the setting of it.

Seems like we won't see Gon for some time.

upandaway

This episode was so hype. I felt like Pariston was creepier in the manga, but Ging and the Zodiacs were great.

My most looked forward to thing about this episode was actually Cheadle's voice and man they really nailed her.

bigkrev

Question I can't answer for myself because I fear spoilers- was the Chimera Ant arc completed in the manga before the airing of the first episode of this anime?

kirblar

Question I can't answer for myself because I fear spoilers- was the Chimera Ant arc completed in the manga before the airing of the first episode of this anime?
Yes. Chimera, Election arcs were finished, and the last Election chapter is very much a "could be used as ending if need be" chapter that they'll use as a hiatus for the anime. However, the post-Election Arc had its first chapter awkwardly released before the most recent long hiatus.

Moaradin

wiki says the last chapter of the Chimera Ant arc was released a few months after this started. Early 2012. The arc in the manga lasted many years because of the hiatuses though.

bigkrev

Yes. Chimera, Election arcs were finished, and the last Election chapter is very much a "could be used as ending if need be" chapter that they'll use as a hiatus for the anime. However, the post-Election Arc had its first chapter awkwardly released before the most recent long hiatus.

wiki says the last chapter of the Chimera Ant arc was released a few months after this started. Early 2012. The arc in the manga lasted many years because of the hiatuses though.

Conflicting opinions. I was asking because the apparent removal of Kite from the beginning of the show hurt this arc- but if it wasn't finished when they started, they might have thought they were never going to animate this story, so they dropped him to save time

Yonafunu

Conflicting opinions. I was asking because the apparent removal of Kite from the beginning of the show hurt this arc- but if it wasn't finished when they started, they might have thought they were never going to animate this story, so they dropped him to save time

Nope, kirblar is right. The anime started in the manga's most recent hiatus, which started pretty much immediately after the Election arc ended.
The Kite-stuff is just a weird decision without a good reason, it seems. It was in the old anime, so no excuses there.

The didn't remove anything, they moved it around. And it was a good decision.

I do not much care for Ging's voice at all, since I read the manga and he originally just looked like Yusuke I just expected a punk-ish sound like Okuyasu in JJBA. I actually like everyone else in the Zodiac's voice and I never expected the Cow/Ox to be as deep either.

The didn't remove anything, they moved it around. And it was a good decision.

No it wasn't. In the manga Kite appears at the beginning and is the whole reason Gon knows of his dad and the reason the plot for the series kickstarts, I don't think MADHOUSE originally even thought they'd get as far as they did and the first episodes pacing is unreally fast paced and it also incredibly cheapens the impact of Chimera Ant's early events because of this.

Nope, kiblar is right. The anime started in the manga's most recent hiatus, which started pretty much immediately after the Election arc ended.
The Kite-stuff is just a weird decision without a good reason, it seems. It was in the old anime, so no excuses there.

I thought that the election are finished I 2012? This recent hiatus was a little over 2 years no?

Hehe, my bad.

I wasn't saying how useful Knov was in general, I was talking about how useful Knov would've been in the combat situation.

Actually, now I'm thinking it over, the entire situation would've gone COMPLETELY differently if Morel and/or Knov was available at 100%.

Were Morel at 100% instead of 40%, he could've figured out Pouf's game and taken him out when he tried escaping the Smoky Jail, of course there'd have been the risk of Pouf attacking the rest of the team.

Assuming Knov could've been there, he would've been able to use his hide and seek ability to pursue Pouf outside of the smoky jail, and potentially defeat his weaker self.

I'm fairly confident that those two would've been able to do this very, very quickly and efficiently. If this happened, then once Knuckle got his hit off on Youpi, they could've used hide and seek combined with Deep Purple in order to stall him until Knuckle's ability took effect. Youpi would've been a quick kill afterwards.

As for Pitou? I don't think this would've been any different. S/he would've still gone down the same way, I feel.

Meruem though? He would've died with the Rose. Both Pouf and Youpi would have already been down for the count.

Overall a pretty similar situation, except now Knov doesn't have nen PTSD/Cancer/whatever the hell it was, Komugi would still be alive, Morel still has his pipe, Welfin wouldn't have aged 100 years, and all of the civilians would've still been alive as well.

So I say that Knov is directly responsible for the death of hundreds of thousands of lives.

You suck, Knov.

Dude no I love Knov. his ability is great. He knew he wouldn't be able to fight so it was probably a good idea that he stayed behind. Takes guts to admit you're outclassed. Granted it would have been way cooler if he had fought. But I wish the welfin thing didn't happen though, I hate that lol

Edit: I think you're right about all that you said, I just like knov

Mostly because his nen is sick

Also I think the Kite stuff should've been in the anime

I thought that the election are finished I 2012? This recent hiatus was a little over 2 years no?

Hiatus started on 2012, after the Election Arc ,and the manga has recently returned from this hiatus. There were two special chapters to promote the movie on 2013 though.

The wiki says that this was the longest hiatus, "starting issue 15 of 2012 (34 issues in 2012, 48 issues in 2013, 23 issues in 2014) until issue 23 of 2014"

Frog-fu

Banned
How does yu yu hakusho compare to hunter x hunter? I want to start reading a good manga that has already ended.

YHH is well worth getting into. It's a typical sh&#333;nen battle manga done right. It's got a fairly simple combat system and plot and doesn't draw anything out. It's also considerably darker than most of its genre, not quite like HxH, but dark enough. The anime and manga have some differences in the story but fortunately the manga isn't too long so you can read that before or after you finish the anime if you want to experience both. I personally prefer the anime and would recommend you go with it if you have to choose.

Popnbake

YHH is well worth getting into. It's a typical sh&#333;nen battle manga done right. It's got a fairly simple combat system and plot and doesn't draw anything out. It's also considerably darker than most of its genre, not quite like HxH, but dark enough. The anime and manga have some differences in the story but fortunately the manga isn't too long so you can read that before or after you finish the anime if you want to experience both. I personally prefer the anime and would recommend you go with it if you have to choose.

I think it's just as dark if not more so than HxH.

Some of the characters (
manga version Mukuro
) had gruesome backstories.

Top Bottom