• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

Ah, I liked the explanation of why Netero made someone like Pariston vice-president. Because he didn't want a yes-man, but someone totally opposite to him, so thing would be *interesting*.

dan2026

I always assumed the male or female thing with Alluka is the result of the two personalities, or beings.

Alluka the normal child is female.

The wish granting thing is male.

Nibel

Nibel x Hunter 138

Well, that sure was creepy. Does this basically mean that Alluka is able to 'reset' Gon? Because from what I've understood any kind of wish can be granted which must make her the strongest Nen user on earth. I wonder what kind of requests will pop up until then and I imagine that the last few requests will be terrible - and those requests that will be asked for after possibly healing him must be even more terrifiying.

Not sure why they decided to go with that weird black border for the flashback. It didn't ruin the episode or annoy me, but they've done flashbacks differently in the past and this episode breaks ranks.

The voting situation seems like having the sole purpose to delay Pariston's rise to power. But why? Also, I'm really curious to see why Pariston is being described as 'beast that can't be tamed'. Didn't expect the arc to have so much stuff up for discussion right at the beginning.

Erigu

I always assumed the male or female thing with Alluka is the result of the two personalities, or beings.
Doesn't seem to be it: Alluka was considered male even before the rest of the family found out about those powers.

Alluka is biologically male but probably identifies as female as stated by the fact that the rest of his family refers to him as male but his 'room' and toys are things a girl would play with and I'm assuming he's closest to Killua so maybe Killua refered to him as female out of love and respect?

demidar

Alluka is biologically male but probably identifies as female as stated by the fact that the rest of his family refers to him as male but his 'room' and toys are things a girl would play with and I'm assuming he's closest to Killua so maybe Killua refered to him as female out of love and respect?

Yeah that's probably the best explanation because it's the simplest. Killua is the only one who's close to Alluka and respects her identification as female despite her biological sex being male because Killua treats Alluka as an actual person with feelings and thoughts. The rest of the Zoldyck family don't give a shit (because she's not human/a monster or something like that) and just refers to Alluka as a he, as if she doesn't have the mental capacity or capability to identify her own gender (because they think she's a monster/not human).

Mael

Yeah that's probably the best explanation because it's the simplest. Killua is the only one who's close to Alluka and respects her identification as female despite her biological sex being male because Killua treats Alluka as an actual person with feelings and thoughts. The rest of the Zoldyck family don't give a shit (because she's not human/a monster or something like that) and just refers to Alluka as a he, as if she doesn't have the mental capacity or capability to identify her own gender (because they think she's a monster/not human).

Actually that makes sense!
I thought that Alluka was male and the "other" was female or something because it's been known that all Zoldick's children were male to begin with so I assumed it was a translation error or something (like in our localisation we got Jin instead of Ging till it was written down because the translators didn't know at the time and there wasn't any material showing how it was spelled).
But this explanation is actually very good and is the most consistent, to think that Togashi put this kind of commentary in HxH!

Kickz

I just caught up with this and finished the Chimera Ant arc, and I have a nagging question... So whats the deal with Togashi setting up great enemies and a cast of good Hunters and then a fight never materializes?? In Yorknew City most of the Spiders never got 1 vs 1 matches and in the Ant arc we never got any serious fights other than a few min of Gon going insane, and Netero poisoning everyone... Anyone else annoyed this keeps happening?

Mael

I just caught up with this and finished the Chimera Ant arc, and I have a nagging question... So whats the deal with Togashi setting up great enemies and a cast of good Hunters and then a fight never materializes?? In Yorknew City most of the Spiders never got 1 vs 1 matches and in the Ant arc we never got any serious fights other than a few min of Gon going insane, and Netero poisoning everyone... Anyone else annoyed this keeps happening?

This isn't Naruto or Bleach that have shit pacing and where you can predict pretty much everything from the character design and the power matchup.
In the ant arc there was an obvious matchup going to materialize but in the end only 1 didn't really happen (Pufu Vs Morau/Knov)

Jigolo

How many doors did they have to go through to get to Alluka? lol

BTW: any manga reader want to chime in on where it is safe to read up to?

Because characters are more than simply matchups? It's like when people see new OP characters and are like "Okay, Zoro will probably fight so and so", that's a weird way of thinking. They serve more purpose than simply being opponents

vareon

By the time you get to Chimera Ant, everyone should know that HxH is not a manga that sets up big 1vs1 fights. If they don't need to fight, they won't.

Kickz

Yea I guess I see what you guys are saying, it is kind of weird though since I am used to most shounens following this type of format. Its still a shame though since I am always intrigued to see what these characters will do in a heated fight, will a good guy die, powered up final moves/twists etc..

Yea I guess I see what you guys are saying, it is kind of weird though since I am used to most shounens following this type of format. Its still a shame though since I am always intrigued to see what these characters will do in a heated fight, will a good guy die, powered up final moves/twists etc..

HxH goes against/put's twists on those Shonen troupes which is why its so interesting and unpredictable.

Jex

I mean, lets go even further back then the NewYork/Spider Arc, if you look at the Battle Tower Arc Gon and Killua don't even bother trying to "get to the top" of the competition, they just go do something else. Unconventional things happen fairly regularly.

kirblar

Bingo.

kirblar

So were Killua's claws from before also a nen ability?

Assuming Alluka's stuff is also a nen ability, that is.
Probably, but he likely wasn't aware that was what he was doing.

They seemed to be wanting to buff him up physically/mentally as much as possible before giving him access to Nen.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
And Killua knowing about how Alluka's power works doesn't really mean he knew nen then either. It just seems like a game to him when they were younger.
Well, he asked her how it works and she told him. Considering he was a younger child, it fell under the "this is the way life is" or "magic" category. Since his siblings were all older, for the most part, during that time, their minds were easily poisoned by the parents or whoever. Same with the kids who came up after Killua, while Alluka was locked away.

Einhander

HxH 138

Holy shit. What an episode. More riveting Zodiac debates, but more importantly,
Alluka's terrifying ability.
To go back to the Zodiac debates, I thought it was funny when
Kanzai got pissed off and leaped over the table to hit Pariston, but was blocked by Geru, Saiyu, and Ginta. It was also funny seeing Mizaistom hold up a yellow card for the obvious soccer gag.

New avatar of my man, Mizaistom. :D

Every time I see Silva I can't help but want to see him in an actual full fight, the guy just oozes badass I wonder if he could roll with Ging.

Brannon

I wonder if you can riddle your way out of Alluka's more extreme requests? Like if she says 'give me your spine', you can say that it is yours and it shall bend to your will forever more. I mean, every Nen power has a catch, right?

upandaway

Creeeeeeeepy episode holy crap. Pariston's just creepy as hell and Alluka is nightmarish. That squish... the way it's all so methodical and structured (with cute chibi visuals for the explanation!) in a monotone way really adds to how mesmerizing it is. I can't imagine anyone watching the second half of the episode without his mind going crazy, with opinions and implications and speculations and trying to understand everything.

My first reaction to Alluka's ability was that if it's a nen ability, it's impossibly powerful. As in, there's no way Alluka's nen is strong enough to carry out the requests or the punishments. Nen conditions aren't something you just decide and it magically happens, even Kurapika had an entire chain (Judgement Chain) in order to enforce his death condition on himself. It could be that the requests and the wishes granted are carried out using a pool of nen from the people involved (like the requester, the granter, the loved ones). The way of carrying out wishes is still rooted in realism (like how she used Manipulation to get the money) so that seems like the most probably explanation to me. Knowing who are the special loved ones, in order to kill them, is also something similar to Pakunoda's mindreading ability.

For the people who want to carry on with the manga after the anime finishes, I'd recommend at that point to reread this arc in the manga before going on to the next one. There are plenty of reasons, but the big ones are just the things like Alluka's explanation and the vote turnouts (percentages etc) that are a bit easier to catch in the manga.

this assassin family is sure... weird. IS alluka's thing classified as nen as well?
It sure seems like it, but we can't say that it is nen for sure.

(I tagged everything below for manga stuff, don't click)

Correct me if I'm wrong people who have access to the manga right now, but I thought this wasn't known at this point and was only revealed/clarified later on? That
Alluka and Nanika are entirely different personalities.

Yonafunu

Correct me if I'm wrong people who have access to the manga right now, but I thought this wasn't known at this point and was only revealed/clarified later on? That

You're right.

Creeeeeeeepy episode holy crap. Pariston's just creepy as hell and Alluka is nightmarish. That squish... the way it's all so methodical and structured (with cute chibi visuals for the explanation!) in a monotone way really adds to how mesmerizing it is. I can't imagine anyone watching the second half of the episode without his mind going crazy, with opinions and implications and speculations and trying to understand everything.

My first reaction to Alluka's ability was that if it's a nen ability, it's impossibly powerful. As in, there's no way Alluka's nen is strong enough to carry out the requests or the punishments. Nen conditions aren't something you just decide and it magically happens, even Kurapika had an entire chain (Judgement Chain) in order to enforce his death condition on himself. It could be that the requests and the wishes granted are carried out using a pool of nen from the people involved (like the requester, the granter, the loved ones). The way of carrying out wishes is still rooted in realism (like how she used Manipulation to get the money) so that seems like the most probably explanation to me. Knowing who are the special loved ones, in order to kill them, is also something similar to Pakunoda's mindreading ability.

[/SPOILER]

The special cases seem to be that they cannot control what they are capable of. Komugi, Lady Nostrade and now Alluka has no full control of their nen powers.

yeah man, seems spot on

HxH 138

Holy shit. What an episode. More riveting Zodiac debates, but more importantly,
Alluka's terrifying ability.
To go back to the Zodiac debates, I thought it was funny when
Kanzai got pissed off and leaped over the table to hit Pariston, but was blocked by Geru, Saiyu, and Ginta. It was also funny seeing Mizaistom hold up a yellow card for the obvious soccer gag.

New avatar of my man, Mizaistom. :D

Ooooh shit.
He holds up a card there...interesting. Didn't catch that when I read it.

Every time I see Silva I can't help but want to see him in an actual full fight, the guy just oozes badass I wonder if he could roll with Ging.
I doubt it. Ging is too cool for school. I'd like to see them fight though.

For the people who want to carry on with the manga after the anime finishes, I'd recommend at that point to reread this arc in the manga before going on to the next one. There are plenty of reasons, but the big ones are just the things like Alluka's explanation and the vote turnouts (percentages etc) that are a bit easier to catch in the manga.

It sure seems like it, but we can't say that it is nen for sure.

yeah we didn't know

As for the episode, I actually thought the black border was a nice stylistic choice. I'm really enjoying seeing this arc animated (but not as much as the ant arc), but that FUCKING ENDING is ruining it for me. I want the real Hyori Ittai back.

Next episode should be fun

idwl

I'm at the ant chimera arc , I really loved the show before this but I feel this part is getting stupid . Does it get better ?

Moaradin

I'm at the ant chimera arc , I really loved the show before this but I feel this part is getting stupid . Does it get better ?

Getting stupid? How so? I consider that arc to be the best in the series so far and I loved the rest so yes, imo it gets better.

idwl

Getting stupid? How so? I consider that arc to be the best in the series so far and I loved the rest so yes, imo it gets better.
Like gon and killua have become so strong over the series and they can't even beat up one ant soldier . It just didn't make sense to me . Plus it's starting to kinda drag. I've watched around 80 episodes in around a week and they just flew by but the past few episodes have been kinda dull

vareon

Like gon and killua have become so strong over the series and they can't even beat up one ant soldier . It just didn't make sense to me . Plus it's starting to kinda drag. I've watched around 80 episodes in around a week and they just flew by but the past few episodes have been kinda dull

Gon and Killua were never that strong to begin with, compared to other experienced and skilled Hunters.

rexor0717

Well, I think the arc had a great conclusion, but I really didn't enjoy most of its episodes. It gets super slow with narration heavy episodes. Some people liked them, I didn't. I still think its worth it for the conclusion though.

Goon

Honestly I hated the ant arc for the same reason that you did, but it gets way better near the end.

demidar

I think this is the first time I've seen someone disappointed there was no main character power creep.

RoyalFool

Banned
Honestly I hated the ant arc for the same reason that you did, but it gets way better near the end.

Once the king gets born the arc takes a nose dive, the only one redeeming episode is that fight. If I could go back in time, I'd just have watched that one episode and the last episode and I would barely have missed any plot, just 18 hours of the narrator hamming stuff up because they can't be arsed to animate any of it. All the big one-on-one battles between the guards and the hunters doesn't happen with two exceptions, it all builds to just fade away.

New arc is already far better and all they've bloody done is hold a vote!

Top Bottom