• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

Like gon and killua have become so strong over the series and they can't even beat up one ant soldier . It just didn't make sense to me . Plus it's starting to kinda drag. I've watched around 80 episodes in around a week and they just flew by but the past few episodes have been kinda dull

Uh? They beat up several ant soldiers.

The start is slow yeah.

vareon

Once the king gets born the arc takes a nose dive, the only one redeeming episode is that fight. If I could go back in time, I'd just have watched that one episode and the last episode and I would barely have missed any plot, just 18 hours of the narrator hamming stuff up because they can't be arsed to animate any of it. All the big one-on-one battles between the guards and the hunters doesn't happen with two exceptions, it all builds to just fade away.

New arc is already far better and all they've bloody done is hold a vote!

But you'd miss King and Komugi's entire relationship which is kind of the point of this arc.

And I will argue that the "big one-on-one battles" is just something our mind was conditioned by every other shounen manga/anime. If we follow the story, only Gon wants to actually fight the guards. The mission is to draw the guards from the King while Netero kills him.

Like the one where Morel faces Pouf. Pouf just wanted to get out. Morel needed to hold Pouf as long as possible. Hence no epic battle ensues.

I agree the new arc is easier to enjoy as it moved way faster than Chimera Ant, but Chimera Ant gets a lot of unfair criticism (aside from very valid ones) for being not what it seems to be.

phaze

I'm at the ant chimera arc , I really loved the show before this but I feel this part is getting stupid . Does it get better ?

As a person who thought that the first 2/3 of the arc were excruciatingly boring and stupid I would say yes. Things pick up a bit at some point and though the last 10 episodes can still be badly paced and dull, the denouement to the arc is good and probably the best two episodes of the show are in there. (Even if you may not like some things that happen during them.)

giri

But you'd miss King and Komugi's entire relationship which is kind of the point of this arc.

And I will argue that the "big one-on-one battles" is just something our mind was conditioned by every other shounen manga/anime. If we follow the story, only Gon wants to actually fight the guards. The mission is to draw the guards from the King while Netero kills him.

Like the one where Morel faces Pouf. Pouf just wanted to get out. Morel needed to hold Pouf as long as possible. Hence no epic battle ensues.

I agree the new arc is easier to enjoy as it moved way faster than Chimera Ant, but Chimera Ant gets a lot of unfair criticism (aside from very valid ones) for being not what it seems to be.
It seems to be terrible.

There's a lot of ways that the relationships and delaying could have been handled. You an allude to the time elapsed. i don't need to see it in real time.

It's a shame because i think the arc could have been much much better.

Just finished episode 135. I like to wait for arcs to finish airing in their entirety so I can avoid waiting and just marathon at my convenience. But I'm conflicted as to where the best place to stop is. 135 felt like a brilliant ending for the characters exclusive to the Chimera Ant arc, but it leaves me curious to know how some of the unresolved things end up. To those who've watched after 135, is there a good episode which also does a good job of setting things up to where I can take a break until the next arc concludes? Or should I just stop at 135?

smurfx

get some go again
Just finished episode 135. I like to wait for arcs to finish airing in their entirety so I can avoid waiting and just marathon at my convenience. But I'm conflicted as to where the best place to stop is. 135 felt like a brilliant ending for the characters exclusive to the Chimera Ant arc, but it leaves me curious to know how some of the unresolved things end up. To those who've watched after 135, is there a good episode which also does a good job of setting things up to where I can take a break until the next arc concludes? Or should I just stop at 135?
watch 136 as that episode closes the ant arc for good and gives you a hint of the new arc.

Jigolo

"Oh, you meant you."

"I have issues, but yours are just as bad."

lol that part was funny.

Hunter x Hunter 139

I thought it was a slow episode this week that was mainly just clarification about exactly how Alluka's powers work. It's expected that Killua knew about her powers in more detail than the other family members since he is the one who spent the most time with her. I wonder who is going to be the one to ask for Gon's return (is it going to be Hisoka? lol). I'm sure the requests will be heavy for granting that wish. The circumstances that Killua faces if he fails, oh man. I mean Gon is essentially being brought back to life.

Anyway I'm glad we've past all the dialogue and I'm ready to get back into the swing of things. If you think about it the show has mainly been talk talk talk since around episode 134.

rexor0717

"Oh, you meant you."

"I have issues, but yours are just as bad."

So I didn't quite get that part. Was Hisoka questioning why Illumi would be so terrible to his brother even though he apparently loves him? I could use a bit of clarifying.
Goddamn I aint a fan of no cutesy animes.

But even I thought the last scene was adorable as all hell.
Yeah, that put a big smile on my face. This show is too good sometimes.

lol that part was funny.

Hunter x Hunter 139

I thought it was a slow episode this week that was mainly just clarification about exactly how Alluka's powers work. It's expected that Killua knew about her powers in more detail than the other family members since he is the one who spent the most time with her. I wonder who is going to be the one to ask for Gon's return (is it going to be Hisoka? lol). I'm sure the requests will be heavy for granting that wish. The circumstances that Killua faces if he fails, oh man. I mean Gon is essentially being brought back to life.

Anyway I'm glad we've past all the dialogue and I'm ready to get back into the swing of things. If you think about it the show has mainly been talk talk talk since around episode 134.

Isn't the difficulty of the tasks dependent on the previous wish? The person after Gon comes back is the one that is seriously screwed.

The end and denouement to the Chimera Ant arc is amazing, but it clearly could have used some editing.

Kirblar I thought you were cool.

It breaks my heart to see people talking shit about the chimera ant arc :'( Maybe if you guys read the manga you would see it's true brilliance.
(not directed at you Kirblar)

Isn't the difficulty of the tasks dependent on the previous wish? The person after Gon comes back is the one that is seriously screwed.

Yeah, but Illumi said that Killua would be the one to fulfill the tasks after the wish was made by someone else.

Anyway, this episode was definitely slow, but I think it was necessary to fully understand how Alluka's power worked. Alluka's VA is pretty good, but a little too high pitched for my tastes, although Alluka is *technically* female.

Now that we have the explanation of powers out of the way the pace should pick up a bit. Next episode brings a character I really like, so I'm excited!

did illumi believe the person killua loves the most is him?

yeah, that's why he was surprised when Hisoka said Gon would die

Hunter x Hunter 139

MVg7dSC.jpg
Probably the most priceless reaction in this show recently.

Hunter x Hunter 139

A bit in the slow range, though that's my view as manga reader, I understand new people will need time to process all the info: from Pariston manoeuvres in the Election, to Alluka's power explanations to Illumi's plans and Hisoka involvement, to new info brought by Killua.

FluxWaveZ

A lot of this is about people trying to outsmart each other. I like it.

Killua would get messed up if the responsibility fell on him to fulfill Alluka's requests after the wish for Gon's recovery was made.

kirblar

It breaks my heart to see people talking shit about the chimera ant arc :'( Maybe if you guys read the manga you would see it's true brilliance.
I read the Manga first. The part of the story with Gon/Killua infiltrating really went overly long there. (I was very happy to see Killua's dart game over and done with in an ep.)

I read the Manga first. The part of the story with Gon/Killua infiltrating really went overly long there. (I was very happy to see Killua's dart game over and done with in an ep.)

yeah I know you read it, I amended my post.

I can understand why the beginning may have been disliked by some, but the palace invasion and everything after that is undeniably fantastic.

Although I really enjoyed the beginning of the arc as well. I have to disagree with you about Gon and Killua's infiltration, but I didn't read it in it's original run (I'm not sure if you did), so I guess I can see it being dragged out with week waits in between.

Jigolo

Yeah that part was pretty good. A few really funny parts this episode I thought.
Killua's mom being so touched by how cruel his wish was really got me
Haha yeah. Not surprising though as I remember she said something along the lines like this back when the crew went to the Zoldyck household. Don't quite remember what it was.

BtL4xpbCQAAgYej.png:large

Pretty amazing episode most of which is how I wish most of the anime was, and the Zoldick family are great underrated characters all around, even the mom. Was confused on the powers and the alluka needs saving line but I guess it will be explained in the future.

Tuck

yeah I know you read it, I amended my post.

I can understand why the beginning may have been disliked by some, but the palace invasion and everything after that is undeniably fantastic.

Although I really enjoyed the beginning of the arc as well. I have to disagree with you about Gon and Killua's infiltration, but I didn't read it in it's original run (I'm not sure if you did), so I guess I can see it being dragged out with week waits in between.

Ant arc started really well but it began to REALLY drag around the attack on the palace - this arc has been much better so far, though I if I'm not imagining it, they repeated the same set of rules for Alluka at least three times.

Ant arc started really well but it began to REALLY drag around the attack on the palace - this arc has been much better so far, though I if I'm not imagining it, they repeated the same set of rules for Alluka at least three times.

Why do you think it began to drag? Was it because of the narrator, or just that there wasn't enough action? I really like it because everything is so tense, and all the characters are great. It didn't need as much action for me because everything was so well thought out, and each characters goals were clear so they didn't fight if they didn't think it was necessary, but when it did have those action scenes it delivered big time. We also saw some really great Nen abilities in the ant arc.

also I really liked the underlying themes, and each character had somewhat different motivation for fighting

I liked the narrator too.

also what beaniedude said

jgminto

zngkK4R.png

Awww! While Alluka's power is totally creepy, her relationship with her brother is so adorable. I hope we'll get a happy ending for both them and Gon, I'll be pretty devastated if something happens to her. Also cool to get more trans characters in anime, Togashi has done some cool stuff with gender with some of the characters.

Jex

I thought they rushed the explanation of the rules last week, but this week they hit you over the head so many times with them that you couldn't miss it. A weird choice.

kirblar

Awww! While Alluka's power is totally creepy, her relationship with her brother is so adorable. I hope we'll get a happy ending for both them and Gon, I'll be pretty devastated if something happens to her. Also cool to get more trans characters in anime, Togashi has done some cool stuff with gender with some of the characters.
HxH is definitely in the feminist/progressive sphere, which is awesome. (Although considering his wife, it's not all that surprising. :p ) The cultural "subtlety" influence is there in the non-Hisoka characters like Alluka and (imo) Kurapika, but I think that's a good thing- they're allowed to be people first, with characteristics second.

Feltrol

Banned
Was it confirmed that all the Zoldyck children are male? That's one curious relationship between Killua and Alluka.

I honestly think it would've been better if Alluka was a girl, if that's the case. :(

Another possibility is that Alluka's family refers to her monster side as masculine and since that's all they see her as that's all they use. Whereas Killua cares for her human side which is feminine.

Shun

Was it confirmed that all the Zoldyck children are male? That's one curious relationship between Killua and Alluka.

I honestly think it would've been better if Alluka was a girl, if that's the case. :(

It's hinted that Alluka is biologically male and is mentally female. Killua is the only one who understands this and corrects people cause no one else treats Alluka as a member of the family or even a human, only a monster or a tool.

The rest of the family is just too cold and dejected to understand that and classifies Alluka by her biological sex.

Erigu

Another possibility is that Alluka's family refers to her monster side as masculine and since that's all they see her as that's all they use. Whereas Killua cares for her human side which is feminine.
No, the rest of the family was referring to Alluka as a boy before they even knew what was up with him/her, so that doesn't seem to be it.

It's hinted that Alluka is biologically male and is mentally female. Killua is the only one who understands this and corrects people cause no one else treats Alluka as a member of the family or even a human, only a monster or a tool.
The rest of the family is just too cold and dejected to understand that and classifies Alluka by her biological sex.
It's a possible explanation, but I don't know that I'd say it's "hinted".

Radec

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS, 'kay ?

can't wait for the upcoming episodes.

HxH is definitely in the feminist/progressive sphere, which is awesome. (Although considering his wife, it's not all that surprising. :p ) The cultural "subtlety" influence is there in the non-Hisoka characters like Alluka and (imo) Kurapika, but I think that's a good thing- they're allowed to be people first, with characteristics second.

and for a mangka he actually draws black characters really good (Canary)

Love the guy

Philippo

Can i say i didn't understood a flying fuck about Alluka's powers in this week episode?
Illumi, Killua and Milluki explanations made it too confusing. Like i still doesn't know how the death system works and how is Illumi worried for himself.
Hisoka's reactions were too good though.
And i don't know what creeps me more: Nanika or Alluka's ambiguous gender.

I guess ill just rewatch it a couple of times today.

Mrcapcom

Can i say i didn't understood a flying fuck about Alluka's powers in this week episode?
Illumi, Killua and Milluki explanations made it too confusing. Like i still doesn't know how the death system works and how is Illumi worried for himself.

If I got this correct if Killua makes a wish and doesn't fulfill Allukas requests not only will he die but the person he loves(cares for) the most and a certain amount of people hes spent alot of time with which would include almost everyone hes been with in the whole series including hisoka/illumi/zoldeck family etc.

So basically illumi is like hey hisoka watch my bro cause if he doesn't know what he's doing kill Alluka if you don't we are both going to die just off of Killua not doing the requests

jgminto

Why?

lol I think they explained it as simply as possible.

If you don't fulfill 4 requests then you and the person you love most will die. The difficulty of the requests depends on how big the last wish made was.

If the wish beforehand was something that required a lot of power then in addition to you and your most loved dying, the people who you've spent the most time with(the number depending on how big the last wish was) will die.

Killua is going to make an incredibly huge wish in bringing Gon back, Illumi surmises that Killua is going to try and take on the 4 requests(which would be impossible to fulfill after such a huge wish) after he gets someone else to make the wish. Because of this its possible that even someone Killua only spent a couple of hours with could end up dead as a result of him failing.

MilkBeard

So basically Alluka grants a wish. Depending on that wish, the resulting questions that she will ask of someone in return will be more severe or less severe in relation to how big a wish it was.
If the requests are failed, then the person dies, along with the person they cared for most, followed by the person (or people) that they spent the most time with. Based on the example given during the conversation between Hisoka and Illumi, the girl's lover died because he was the person she cared about most. And her classmates died because she had spent the most time with them. Her mother did not die because she started to care about someone more, and also because she spent less time with her than with her classmates. Also the more people die in these categories depending on how big the wish was.

EDIT: Beaten by The Silver, who explained it about is easy to understand as it gets.

Top Bottom