• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

That's a weird translation if it's actually a name.

Yeah I'm not sure if the translators made a mistake and took the name as the literal meaning or if that was the original intention of the author. It did bug the hell out of me though since I'm sure many people wouldn't think Killua was calling Alluka by another name.

Nibel

Nibel x Hunter 139

Did Killua just reveal that he can basically use a wish that is similar to a if/else query in programming?

IF we don't leave the mountain in one and a half hours THEN kill mother
ELSE give me a kiss on the cheek

Seems like nobody else than him knows that? Wonder what else he knows.

All in all, a slow episode and again unnecessary flashback borders, but still pretty good stuff and a lovely final picture. And then there is Pariston with a new idea how do push the voting towards the ending. Dude becomes more and more the most terrifying person on the show for his weird behaviour..

Philippo

Ok thanks for the clarifications guys, i just didn't understand the beloved one segment, but probably that's because while reading english subs and translating in italian in my mind i tend to loose some pieces, especially when is so information-heavy.

Erigu

I mean, really?
???
Again: why would English speaking viewers need more information (like an onscreen info box) than Japanese viewers?
As far as Japanese viewers are concerned, Alluka's other personality is referred to as "Something". Same thing for English speaking viewers. So what's the problem?

Erigu

Because you keep "Nanika" as the name, and explain in an info box that "Nanika" translates to "Something".
0PBzPFc.jpg

If you say so...
it really is quite blatant

The translations surrounding Nanika make absolutely no sense. Nanika translates to "Something", but that needed an onscreen info box, not a permanent replacement.

Doesn't Killua refer to it as Nanika in the manga? I would consider Nanika a name for all intents and purposes, regardless of the fact that it translates to something.

edit: this is more n reference to hypemaster's quote

???
Again: why would English speaking viewers need more information (like an onscreen info box) than Japanese viewers?
As far as Japanese viewers are concerned, Alluka's other personality is referred to as "Something". Same thing for English speaking viewers. So what's the problem?

probably because Nanika sounds like a name, and doesn't sound like Something

Erigu

it really is quite blatant
I'll just point out that Killua has another sibling whose gender is somewhat ambiguous, and that we're talking about a world with supernatural powers (even the power to grant any wish). I can see other possibilities, from weird family rules to supernatural sex change.

Doesn't Killua refer to it as Nanika in the manga?
Depends on the translator.

I would consider Nanika a name for all intents and purposes, regardless of the fact that it translates to something.
But it's a rather important fact, here: they call that second personality "Nanika" precisely because of what "nanika" means. So translating the word simply makes sense, here, in my opinion.

probably because Nanika sounds like a name, and doesn't sound like Something
To someone who doesn't understand Japanese, I guess it might, but that's why we have translations. ^^;

Killua himself said that he considers black eyes Alluka to be something, then he decides to name it "something". I can't understand the big deal about this.

I'll just point out that Killua has another sibling whose gender is somewhat ambiguous, and that we're talking about a world with supernatural powers (even the power to grant any wish). I can see other possibilities, from weird family rules to supernatural sex change.

Depends on the translator.

But it's a rather important fact, here: they call that second personality "Nanika" precisely because of what "nanika" means. So translating the word simply makes sense, here, in my opinion.

To someone who doesn't understand Japanese, I guess it might, but that's why we have translations. ^^;

Kurapika also is gender ambiguous by appearance, Kalluto has nothing to do with this.
Killua refers to Alluka as a she, while the rest of the Zoldycks refer to her as male. Alluka is definitely biologically male, so the best inference is that Killua knows her well enough to know she likes to identify as female.

I'm not disputing the fact that translating the word doesn't make sense. I guess it makes more sense to me to leave Nanika as the name because I don't speak japanese, so it sounds more like a name to me.

Erigu

Alluk-a
Killu-a
Silv-a
Nanik-a
Mah-a

Zen-o
Kallut-o
Kiky-o

Illum-i
Milluk-i
Not following you, there... The only pattern I know of in that family is the one regarding Killua and his siblings: three morae, the middle one is "ru" (transcribed as "llu"), and the remaining moare follow a shiritori pattern.
i - ru - mi - ru - ki - ru - a - ru - ka - ru - to
"Nanika" doesn't fit.

Kalluto has nothing to do with this.
How do you know?

Alluka is definitely biologically male
How do you know?

Not following you, there... The only pattern I know of in that family is the one regarding Killua and his siblings: three morae, the middle one is "ru" (transcribed as "llu"), and the remaining moare follow a shiritori pattern.
i - ru - mi - ru - ki - ru - a - ru - ka - ru - to
"Nanika" doesn't fit.

How do you know?

How do you know?

oh I see what you mean

I was more referring to the fact that the names ended with consistently similar vowels, not the pattern of the syllables themselves

why would kalluto be involved. I mean it's possible, but i don't see why.
and because killua is the only zoldyck who refers to alluka as female. he doesn't refer to nanika as female, only alluka. why would all the other zoldycks, including alluka's mother and father, be mistaken about this?

Erigu

why would kalluto be involved
Note that I'm not arguing that's definitely the case (I don't know), but I think it would be a bit odd to discard right off the bat the possibility of a connection when a given character has two younger siblings with ambiguous genders.

[Killua] doesn't refer to nanika as female, only alluka.
I don't remember Killua using any gender-specific terms for Something/Nanika, actually... I'd have to check.

why would all the other zoldycks, including alluka's mother and father, be mistaken about this?
It wouldn't necessarily be a mistake. As you said, Killua refers to Alluka as a female, and the rest of the family doesn't bat an eye. Maybe they disagree, maybe they're in denial...
What I mean is that I believe there would be other possible scenarios, and I don't think it's a good idea to jump to conclusions at the moment.

Note that I'm not arguing that's definitely the case (I don't know), but I think a bit odd to discard right off the bat the possibility of a connection when a given character has two younger siblings with ambiguous genders.

I don't remember Killua using any gender-specific terms for Something/Nanika, actually... I'd have to check.

It wouldn't necessarily be a mistake. As you said, Killua refers to Alluka as a female, and the rest of the family doesn't bat an eye. Maybe they disagree, maybe they're in denial...
What I mean is that I believe there would be other possible scenarios, and I don't think it's a good idea to jump to conclusions at the moment.

Yeah I mean I could be wrong, but I think at the moment it's the best explanation

also I don't think Killua refers to Nanika with gender specifics either, but I think it's because he differentiates Nanika and Alluka as different beings. Alluka to Killua a she, and Nanika is an it

Just finished Greed Island arc... No Chrollo still... And next arc is about ants? When does Chrollo come back guys? I don't think I'm up for watching more if he doesn't lol.

Jigolo

Just finished Greed Island arc... No Chrollo still... And next arc is about ants? When does Chrollo come back guys? I don't think I'm up for watching more if he doesn't lol.

Chrollo is awesome but if you're going to skip the one of the best arcs in anime history just because he's not involved, it's your loss :p

Tuck

He doesn't.
Leorio and kurapika are written out as well.

They'll all return, eventually, I'm sure. But in the manga, not the anime.

upandaway

I guess they could have called it "Thing" maybe. Personally I'm more comfortable with using Nanika here because it's clear cut who I'm talking about, but there's no way they weren't going to translate it.

I thought they rushed the explanation of the rules last week, but this week they hit you over the head so many times with them that you couldn't miss it. A weird choice.
HxH makes a point out of exploring rulesets and logic in their full scope and limitations (because it's a huge part of why characters act the way they act). The subtleties of the rules like how Alluka can't pester people whose name she doesn't know, or that she can't switch to a different person, or how the requests' difficulty resets after deaths, all that stuff needed to be layered out. It's already a complicated ability and if they explained all of that in a single explanation I imagine a lot more people will post that they didn't understand it.

If you mean to say it's weird that it was split in 2 episodes, I think it works better this way because Alluka's ability gets the full creepy introduction without overloading people with subtleties, just an overview of the core concepts of the 3 requests and the wish.

I enjoyed the episode. I wonder why no one acted surprised when Killua made a conditional wish. Did we happen to see "Something's" face when the wish was made. It could be that Killua was bluffing.

Is the next episode the last one for the anime?

I enjoyed the episode. I wonder why no one acted surprised when Killua made a conditional wish. Did we happen to see "Something's" face when the wish was made. It could be that Killua was bluffing.

Is the next episode the last one for the anime?

Milluki and Silva both expressed surprise when Killua made the wish, and we did see Nanika when he made it. His wish was even granted, did you watch the end of the episode?

No the next one isn't the last one

Top Bottom