• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

upandaway

I'm just gonna drop by here to say I started HxH yesterday and am at episode 50 now. This show is awesome. Will be the first shonen I stick with past episode 100.

Now I'm gonna back out since apparently sick shit goes down that I don't wanna have spoiled.
You can post an LttP thread if you wanna discuss it! Will be in time to let people know about the Netflix thing too. Did HxH ever get an LttP thread

edit: oh it already got a thread for the netflix

[/spoiler]
Ok, that's a valid point.
But I can easily say his encounter with Kite could of been adjusted just slightly to touch on this, and definitely didnt require the ant arc.

But that is what happened. It flowed logically and it was entertaining

The Phantom troupe amongst others already did this to Gon, everything that is motivated by hatred/jealousy/greed is basically already against Gon's mindset. I would definitely argue it was more about the mutilation/death and puppeteering of someone who he considered a close friend. Kites death in another horrible way from another set of enemies could of provoked the same result.

The Troupe absolutely did not break Gon. Even without what happened with Pitou, the Troupe didn't break him. In the Chimera Ant arc, Gon threatened to kill a n innocent bystander to get what he wanted. The only other shonen protagonist to do something like that was Light Yagami

I argue that heavens arena was about Gon's grudge with Hisoka primarily, followed by the need for cash to continue the search for his father. I will concede this arch was important for power development as they were introduced to Nen properly for the first time, but this was byproduct of his grudge with hisoka and his journey to find his father. The ants are extraneous imo. There was no real payout for watching that arc for me.
As for Greed island, it's IMO 100% about following a lead his father left for him. Gaining power was a byproduct of both of these arcs as it should be.
The CA arc was also following a lead left by his father, except his dad is a cowardly deadbeat dad and sent him to the wrong place intentionally.

You're right, one's own perception is the most important factor when critiquing a work. So my perception is that the ant arc was extraneous. I've already made that clear. I'm just trying to get some perspectives other than my own. I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for. I guess I'm just hoping to read some information that changes my perspective. I guess I'll know it when I read it. I love it when someone can provide a counter argument to me so great that it changes my view.

I'd say the point of the Chimera Ant arc is to show that normal shonen tactics aren't always going to work. If they do work, there is a huge downside.
Gon's blundering got Kite killed. His main attack is inadequate with dealing with the ants. In Naruto, Naruto can use all of these special attacks without consequence after he got the right power ups (Sage Mode and properly utilizing the Fox's chakra). In this, Gon's powered up form brought him to the brink of death. Also, in typical shonen, the protag would fight the main villain. In CA, Gon fought an underling. The old badass guy fought Meruem sacrificed himself to unleash the combined might of humanity: technology (and our assholish nature). In the end, the CA arc ended not with a physical fight like DBZ or Naruto, but with the battle over a soul that Gon barely had any part in. Come to think of it, I don't even think Gon had any interaction with the King.

That said, I can understand some criticisms of the last arc. Pacing issues, overuse of the narrator, etc. If they had more authority, they could have cut down on a lot of stuff and made it a tighter, more enjoyable experience. But anime rarely does that.

HxH 141

Hey new episode! No one has commented still??

We have some action in the ep, but to be honest, it's cheap, using lots of trick in stills to give the feeling of animation instead of the real deal (like in for example Space Dandy). It seems they don't have a lot of budget, with the series finishing soon.

FluxWaveZ

That was a great episode. Really into what's going on right now; it's hilarious how
Leorio is currently number 3 to be elected just 'cause he punched a dude

Also, that Illumi "u wot m8?" scene was pretty good.

HxH 141

Hey new episode! No one has commented still??

We have some action in the ep, but to be honest, it's cheap, using lots of trick in stills to give the feeling of animation instead of the real deal (like in for example Space Dandy). It seems they don't have a lot of budget, with the series finishing soon.

seems that way

subtle things like leaf/grass movement that where more apparent in the Ant arc are now missing

still Hisoka and Illumi comedic scenes are still the best

HxH 141

Tsubone keeping pace with god speed

Togashi creates such awesome old characters, in fact, those types of characters tend to be the most terrifying.

HxH 141

WUnHykU.jpg

Such an absolutely priceless face. He simply does not give a fuck who he trolls, I love Hisoka so much. I also cannot imagine that battle at the end going well at all.

Raxus

Who is the Tommy Pickles looking dude?

Great Grandpa Zoldyck aka one of the greatest nen users in history. Considering the chart it is hilarious he has gotten to the age (and strength) he can give zero fucks about what is going on.

According to the manga (he was edited out of the anime) the only person to fight him and survive was Netero. Gives you an idea how strong he was.

Great Grandpa Zoldyck aka one of the greatest nen users in history. Considering the chart it is hilarious he has gotten to the age (and strength) he can give zero fucks about what is going on.

According to the manga (he was edited out of the anime) the only person to fight him and survive was Netero. Gives you an idea how strong he was.
They do mention Netero being the only one to survive during the anime.

Philippo

Holy shit this episode.
Aside from the budget, it was asome and so tense.
Killua's reasoning in the car was the highlight and another show of Togashi's genius.
Hisoka king of trolls and Illumi scary as fuck.
I wasn't expecting things to escalate this quickly, can't wait to see where it goes.

Also lol@ Leorio being 3rd for punching the most hated one.

http://i.minus.com/iqXFAnyH7UcNO.jpg

here's a translated zoldyck family relationship picture from the manga. just in case anybody wanted to know what everything meant.

That's really useful (and weirdly funny) thanks!
Can't really imagine Silva and Kikyo(?) act in love ahah.

Tuck

Come on, it's not like an episode like this is common.

Eh, been noticing it for a while now. I can't recall the older episode's animation that well, and the show has neve had the budget of say, Korra. But the animation hasn't been so hot for quite some time now.

Which is sad but not the worst thing in the world. This arc is so damn entertaining despite that.

Marow

For some reason I had trouble following the scene transition in the latest episode, especially during the
car crash
. Everything just flashed by without much thought into it, it felt like. Strange, as I've even read the manga. The anime just left me confused. The cuts were very off in general this episode.

... at least Alluka is really moe. <3

Daingurse

Illumi looked quite gruesome, they captured the feeling of the panel well. I've always found Illumi to be a very disturbing character, not only because of his twisted thought patterns and behavior, but the sheer raw power backing it up too. Illumi has been setup well I believe.

Tsubone is holding it down, keeping pace with Killua's Godspeed. I also love her design frankly, just a really intimidating granny. Looking forward to Hisoka vs Gotoh, should be fun.

demidar

For some reason I had trouble following the scene transition in the latest episode, especially during the
car crash
. Everything just flashed by without much thought into it, it felt like. Strange, as I've even read the manga. The anime just left me confused. The cuts were very off in general this episode.

... at least Alluka is really moe. <3

Alluka is super adorable.

This fight between Gotoh and Hisoka hurts me because I like both characters. Can't you guys just shake hands and walk the other way? Please? :(

This episode made me wonder, but does Hisoka have any interest in fighting Biscuit, and if he doesn't, why not?

Also, I like that Goreinu and Tsezguerra are buddies after Greed Island. I wonder what Genthru is up to these days though?

upandaway

Illumi is intense. I love the concept of an inner mission, whenever the family has a conflict it's suddenly a no holds barren free for all with the only restriction being don't kill other family members. Totally fits them.

And yeah Tsubone is amazing, I love her. Makes her even better when she's contrasted with Amane's screwup in the car.

This episode made me wonder, but does Hisoka have any interest in fighting Biscuit, and if he doesn't, why not?

Also, I like that Goreinu and Tsezguerra are buddies after Greed Island. I wonder what Genthru is up to these days though?

Hisoka is weird. I always think of it as he doesn't want to fight strong people, he just wants to fight interesting people. Bisky may just be too generic/boring for him to care about.

I enjoyed this episode, and didn't even notice the animation quality until after you guys brought it up, but it's definitely down a few levels from normal. I actually just noticed that Hisoka and Illumi dress very similarly.

also that Hisoka face is fantastic

I've found some conflicting viewpoints about the nature of Kanmuru, but I think this episode proves that Danko Seka does increase his movement speed if the manga and previous episodes hadn't already.

smurfx

get some go again

maybe hisoka has never properly gauged biscuits power. he didn't really have any reaction to her when he met her at greed island. since she transforms then maybe her kid form seems weak to most hunters.

kirblar

maybe hisoka has never properly gauged biscuits power. he didn't really have any reaction to her when he met her at greed island. since she transforms then maybe her kid form seems weak to most hunters.
She is definitely concealing her power level in kiddy form.

Top Bottom