• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

Moaradin

Kite is awesome. I grew attached to him pretty quickly in the anime even though he wasn't around that long. Just a cool character.

antibolo

Banned
I just thought the chimera arc end was a great demonstration of Hunter x Hunter's biggest strength, which is to surprise us with the complete opposite of what our preconceptions of the shounen fighting genre are leading us to expect. I was also an interesting reflection on the human condition (spoiler tagged for people who haven't finished the arc):
Meruem is "perfect" being, born with limitless power and intelligence, who initially believes that power is everything, but as he develops and eventually faces death, he realizes that power is empty and meaningless compared to love and peace of mind. Meanwhile, Netero (as representative of humanity) is the real monster, he completely refuses to discuss peacefully with this new form of sentient intelligence when offered the chance, and appears pretty happy with himself when he nukes Meruem out of desperation.

kirblar

I'm interested, have you read the manga? Because it'd be weird to see anime only watchers be so attached to him considering the disconnection caused early on.
You're making up an issue that doesn't exist except in your own head. The adaptation change affects the nature of Gon's relationship, not the reader's.

You're making up an issue that doesn't exist except in your own head. The adaptation change affects the nature of Gon's relationship, not the reader's.

It does affect the viewer's appreciation of
Gon's reaction regarding Kite's fate though. Some would even ask "why is he overreacting? They only knew each for a short time".

upandaway

I'm gonna have to say that I think it does change things too, purely based on some of the posts in the thread that questioned why Gon is feeling the way he does. I never saw that before the anime.

Siegcram

It does affect the viewer's appreciation of
Gon's reaction regarding Kite's fate though. Some would even ask "why is he overreacting? They only knew each for a short time".
Even then, he still safed his life when Gon was a kid. And has a deep connection to Ging.
I don't really see how it's hard to understand why Gon would feel strongly about his fate.

Jex

I am about to get into the fabled Chimera Ant arc...

Is it overhyped or is it truly OMG?

It's an overblown mess of an arc, that's for sure.

RE: Kite and Gon, I don't have much to add beyond saying that this conversation wouldn't even exist if they hadn't butchered the introductory arc in the name of expedience. I've always felt like that was a complete and utter mistake, one that's far harder to forgive considering some of the horrendous padding later on.

I am about to get into the fabled Chimera Ant arc...

Is it overhyped or is it truly OMG?

It's starts being uninteresting. A mere bug hunt...

But it will grow slowly but surely in a bigger ball of plot, new characters, new situations, complications, new views in the enemy side, etc.

Then it will change direction to a big, a huge encounter, so big it will need lots of setup, lots of plans, and a huge focus on tension and the calm before the storm. Then the storm will be done, and it will be great, but the author will show it to you with a exacerbated detail, each lightning and each drop of rain. Too much and too slow for some people.
There is a big payoff in the end, both in emotional and spectacular ways.

Hunter x Hunter 142

Hisoka doing Spiderman is great
Killua is serious fighting against his own brother
Needlezombies run in a funny way
I like Bushidora design, and it's ingenious how the election arc and the Alluka arc seem to mix
Gotoh... ¬_¬

nasax

HXH 142 spoiler

I knew Gotoh was going to die beforehand because I read the manga but it still sucks. :( I liked that character

upandaway

The puzzle pieces are starting to fit together, I also thought it was pretty genius how it happened.

Tsubone and Amane are the secret best new characters haha. I was surprised when they showed Canary knows about Nen, kinda caught me off guard but makes total sense considering her introduction.

The puzzle pieces are starting to fit together, I also thought it was pretty genius how it happened.

Tsubone and Amane are the secret best new characters haha. I was surprised when they showed Canary knows about Nen, kinda caught me off guard but makes total sense considering her introduction.

when

FluxWaveZ

Dammit,
Hisoka. Logically, I guess the clown's too powerful to have died in that fight, but damn.

Really great episode. The election facet of the arc seems to be coming together in a nice way with the whole Alluka thing. I feel that people wouldn't feel too hot about Killua given that fourth commandment if they knew who he was protecting and what he was trying to do, though.

Also, that smile at the end of the next episode preview's pretty good.

kirblar

Canary had to use her Aura to help power the Granny-Cycle.

Killua was intentionally left in the dark about Nen by his family since he was pegged as the heir/future leader (probably due to him inheriting his Father/Grandfarther's White Hair.)

tolkir

Seirin? Wtf

The New Hunters.

Seirin_High_anime_full.png

Maffis

Thinking back, was it the needle in Killuas head that made him murder Bodoro in the hunter exam? I always thought it was weird how everybody forgot about that. Or maybe I just don't remember it.

kirblar

Thinking back, was it the needle in Killuas head that made him murder Bodoro in the hunter exam? I always thought it was weird how everybody forgot about that. Or maybe I just don't remember it.
It's very likely, yeah, although it may have been there before the series ever started.

Akainu

Chimera Ant Ending Spoilers
Meruem's death wasn't anticlimactic. It was anti-trope. If it were every single other shounen the fight would have ended when Netero's bomb exploded. What we witnessed was a desperate attempt from the bad(?) guys to come back when the game was already over. Instead of ending with a bang it ends with a weep. It was original, it was emotional, it was brutal.
No it would have ended with Netero's Zero hand finishing him or something about friendship.

Meanwhile, Netero (as representative of humanity) is the real monster, he completely refuses to discuss peacefully with this new form of sentient intelligence when offered the chance, and appears pretty happy with himself when he nukes Meruem out of desperation.
What were you watching.
Meruem wasn't offering peace he straight up said he was going to put the human race in a zoo (basically a wildlife reserve), instead of just killing everyone. And that was after he came to respect him.

Hyun Sai

No. Killua needle was just self preservation. He killed Bodoro because Illumi fucked with his mind and he wanted to be disqualified. Simple manipulation.

Can someone explain to me what the deal with that Seirin thing was?
Are they just forming a coalition? Or are they splitting off from the Hunter organisation?
I'm confused.

Siegcram

Can someone explain to me what the deal with that Seirin thing was?
Are they just forming a coalition? Or are they splitting off from the Hunter organisation?
I'm confused.
It seems like a more combat-oriented version of the Zodiacs. Possibly some kind of police to track down rogue Hunters.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
I freakin hate that the episode after we see Gotoh using his nen ability, Hisoka murks him. I was at least hoping for interference
Edit: fuck you whoever posted the Seirin Kuroko pic. Shit made me laugh too hard in bed.

Also, another team? How many is that now. Let's see:

Hunter examiners
The Spiders
The loose knit team from theGreed Island arc (they don't really count)
Ant generals pre Mereum
Royal guard and King
Zodiacs and now Serin?

I mean holy shit, Capcom could make Hunter vs Hunter game right now if they wanted to. And that's not even including the main chars, Bisky, Zushi, Kite, etc.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Solid episode, but Gotoh...

I was seriously expecting him to get bailed out or injure his foe enough for a stalemate... But should've known that Hisoka does not fuck around.

That's what makes Hisoka so good to me. You never underestimate him if your favorite character has an encounter with him. I expect the same treatment from Togashi for Hisoka, though so I never got too attached to him.

smurfx

get some go again

canary is from meteor city so you better believe she knows about nen.

antibolo

Banned

I'm pretty sure that all Zoldyck butlers know about Nen.

The real big plot hole is how the hell did Killua live his entire life in a closed environment full of superpowered Nen users and still not know what Nen is after all this time.

Anyway, the entire HxH world as a whole doesn't make sense regarding the secrecy of Nen. There's no way in hell that such an incredible power that everyone has the potential to tap into could not be public knowledge. It's mentioned that the Hunters are the primary enforcers of the secrecy of Nen, but there are waaaay too many non-Hunter Nen users for that to be realistically enforceable.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I never got how they are supposedly able to keep Nen a secret when you've got the Heavens Arena broadcasting matches where dudes clone themselves.

Top Bottom