• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

Kyuur

Thank god the animation came back. I was worried the Hisoka v. Gotoh fight was going to be animated poorly. I should trust in Madhouse! Great episode content wise as well. Tsubone is such an awesome character.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Killua was using Nen abilities, he just didn't know what they were.

And Gon used Zetsu early on, but that's not really the point. As said, there are too many users of Nen for it to be kept plausibly secret. Then there's the Heavens Arena matches and there had to be survivors and maybe even footage of the Phantom Troupe's rampage on Yorknew. People have to know there's something up with that. I blasted through the series this month and that was one of the only details that bothered me.

And Gon used Zetsu early on, but that's not really the point. As said, there are too many users of Nen for it to be kept plausibly secret. Then there's the Heavens Arena matches and there had to be survivors and maybe even footage of the Phantom Troupe's rampage on Yorknew. People have to know there's something up with that. I blasted through the series this month and that was one of the only details that bothered me.
People have to be particularly talented to use nen.

Wing: "We keep Nen a secret because we don't want bad guys using them. Yes, I am saying this on a tower full of arenas where people fight with Nen in front of thousands."

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
People have to be particularly talented to use nen.

Again, not the issue in terms of the secrecy thing. If it's a super high barrier entry it makes even less sense to hide it from the public as it's not easily obtainable. Then there's little stuff like the Leorio telepunch being broadcasted on the Hunter site. You'd assume everyone with a Hunter's license would be able to access that unless they'd block one of their main communication channels for people who haven't yet passed the secret exam. It's very nitpicky, but it's mostly because everything else was really well developed that something like this stands out.

Jex

I never got how they are supposedly able to keep Nen a secret when you've got the Heavens Arena broadcasting matches where dudes clone themselves.

"Don't think about it too hard" is the only answer I can imagine making any sense. There's no logical consistency in a universe where matches between high level Nen users are regularly broadcast of TV and Nen still being some big secret. It's just something you have to accept.

Heck, people have presumably be using Nen across the world for a very long period of time and, while some of it is invisible to the naked eye some of it isn't, and the results of it are obviously visible. To think that this isn't well known is odd indeed.

In this case Raxus is right, even Zeno says when he was born Netero was already an old man .

I love that line. "that geezer was a geezer even when i was a newborn" or something to that effect

The puzzle pieces are starting to fit together, I also thought it was pretty genius how it happened.

Tsubone and Amane are the secret best new characters haha. I was surprised when they showed Canary knows about Nen, kinda caught me off guard but makes total sense considering her introduction.
You read the manga no? They mention it there too.

I'm pretty sure that all Zoldyck butlers know about Nen.

The real big plot hole is how the hell did Killua live his entire life in a closed environment full of superpowered Nen users and still not know what Nen is after all this time.

Anyway, the entire HxH world as a whole doesn't make sense regarding the secrecy of Nen. There's no way in hell that such an incredible power that everyone has the potential to tap into could not be public knowledge. It's mentioned that the Hunters are the primary enforcers of the secrecy of Nen, but there are waaaay too many non-Hunter Nen users for that to be realistically enforceable.

I mean we have to remember that regular people can't see or feel Nen unless their aura nodes are open (with the exception of conjured objects). It would make sense for people to just think these people are incredible fighters without being able to see any of their abilities. Hisoka just looks like a guy throwing cards, no one can see his bungee gum. Gotoh's coin nen is the same trick we saw before, he just added aura. It especially makes sense since noone in the Zoldyck household is a Conjurer, so Killua would never have seen anyone just make something from thin air, and he would have never seen anyone's aura. Now if Kite was a Zoldyck and materialized his Crazy Slots, then it would start to be weird, but you have to remember than In also exists to conceal conjured objects. We saw Hisoka use his abilities to an extent before we even knew what Nen was, and it was just assumed he was a skilled fighter. My thoughts anyway.

I really liked this episode, HxH still going strong. Hisoka did some work, it was nice to see that fight animated, and the scene with Killua blasting down the road and Tsubone chasing him was amazing animated! I really love Tsubone's Nen especially the name
Rider's High
. Illumi's Needlemen was super weird, especially their running lol.

also, I'm just wondering, was this much emphasis put on the Seirin group in the manga?
I don't remember it being too important.

"Don't think about it too hard" is the only answer I can imagine making any sense. There's no logical consistency in a universe where matches between high level Nen users are regularly broadcast of TV and Nen still being some big secret. It's just something you have to accept.

Heck, people have presumably be using Nen across the world for a very long period of time and, while some of it is invisible to the naked eye some of it isn't, and the results of it are obviously visible. To think that this isn't well known is odd indeed.

I'm going to agree here. 32 volumes of manga and we still don't have a clear idea if the general public knows there are a "magical" invisible life force that grants special abilities to a few lucky individuals. The Hunter association is public, there was an audience in the top floors of Heaven's arena where they only used nen, from time to time we can imagine there are incidents where civilians are involved with nen users, both good and bad... but Togashi has never depicted a scene where a normal person knew about Nen.
The only explanation I can give is that people in the world believe in magic and they consider it "normal" magic. So when Kastro used his double technique, he was just using magic. They also know of strange stuff like "magical beasts" like the race of strange beasts that can shapeshift, I suppose they consider it to be something like that.

The real big plot hole is how the hell did Killua live his entire life in a closed environment full of superpowered Nen users and still not know what Nen is after all this time.
That, too. It's a real plot hole, at first he didn't have any idea of Nen, but later he recognizes Nen's abilities of his family, like Gramps dragon (he shouldn't be able to see it!) or Illumi zombie-needles. And he was always with Gon & co. once he discovered nen, he never had an opportunity to happen off-screen.

That's what makes Hisoka so good to me. You never underestimate him if your favorite character has an encounter with him. I expect the same treatment from Togashi for Hisoka, though so I never got too attached to him.

Transmuters are awesome. Hisoka's ability has so many applications.

Hisoka, the dude is so versatile. Made it look so easy.

Chrollo vs. Hisoka will be amazing.

Nerd post

My interpretation of the fight is how Hisoka is super good at zetsu, it's a strong point overlooked by HxH fans.

Zetsu isn't only the "suppress your aura to hide and don't be noticed" thing, though that's the basic application, zetsu is also how your aura is hard to see and hard to notice its changes even to a nen user in front of you. Notice how Gotoh had to use Gyo to see how the coins were floating in the air (and see Hisoka's aura holding the coins in threads).

But what wouldn't he use Gyo all times in combat? It seems noobish for him to forget that basic lesson. My theory is that Gyo isn't a on/off switch, it's a gradient. You can always use up more and more nen in the eyes to do a stronger Gyo. Zetsu is the same, it isn't something that you use or not, but there are different degrees of zetsu talent, the more you have, the harder for the enemy is to see certain things and the more he has to compensate with a strong Gyo.

Hisoka used a strong zetsu in his first attack with the cards that was repelled in the previous episode, and no one noticed. The cards were carrying his sticky nen, and when the cards fall down to the ground all over the place, the nen was still there, little blobs of nen he can command in the middle of the fight to stick, stretch, etc, like mines in a battlefield. He used that pre-placed nen to jump out when he was about to be hit by second Gotoh's attack and later to use the stretching effect to move even faster than usual though the trees.

He used similar techniques in both Gon and Kastro fights, hiding his nen threads, so there is consistency in his technique. Though in those fights we believed it just worked because Gon was a noob and Kastro really not very above of a mediocre hunter level.

Killua's gramps also mentioned how one of the Netero's virtues was how subtle was his nen's subtle movement, making it hard to predict his next action, I think that's more or less the same.

Jex

You know what, the biggest plot hole in the series is?

Where do all the Chimera ant's clothes come from? Did they just come out of the eggs with those threads?

Yonafunu

Where do all the Chimera ant's clothes come from? Did they just come out of the eggs with those threads?

They take the clothes from the people they eat. It's why their clothes are always so mismatched.

Yonafunu

Except we clearly saw the Royal Guard all coming out of their eggs fully clothed.

Or have it imagined it? Not sure anymore.

I don't think we've seen any Chimera Ant being born in the manga, aside from Meruem. We saw Youpi being born in the anime, but he doesn't wear clothes in the first place. I guess maybe Meruem is wearing clothes?

I dunno, I always assumed they took clothes from their victims.

Yes.

I don't think we've seen any Chimera Ant being born in the manga, aside from Meruem. We saw Youpi being born in the anime, but he doesn't wear clothes in the first place. I guess maybe Meruem is wearing clothes?

I dunno, I always assumed they took clothes from their victims.

I think Meruem is wearing some kind of vest, but for the most part he's unclothed. Pitou and Pouf wear clothes, but who the hell knows where those came from.

jgminto

If we're talking about Chimera Ant clothes...

ibqlz5mTbrI0Zq.png

smurfx

get some go again
so how do you think the zoldycks find their wives? do they marry butlers? they would be the best candidates since they all know the rules and are extremely loyal. i can't imagine silva going out on dates with different women. could there be arranged marriages with women from other assassin clans? maybe when they are 18 or something they are sent out on a mission to find a suitable wife?

kirblar

so how do you think the zoldycks find their wives? do they marry butlers? they would be the best candidates since they all know the rules and are extremely loyal. i can't imagine silva going out on dates with different women. could there be arranged marriages with women from other assassin clans? maybe when they are 18 or something they are sent out on a mission to find a suitable wife?
Is this stealth Killua x Canary shipping? :p

smurfx

get some go again
Is this stealth Killua x Canary shipping? :p
kind of. :p i think they do marry butlers based on the fact that killua's mom is from meteor city and so are other butlers like canary and gotoh. killua's mom could have been similar to canary and grew up with silva and eventually married him.

If we're talking about Chimera Ant clothes...

ibqlz5mTbrI0Zq.png

What happened to him?

I remember asking half way through the arc the same question and someone said all the characters would have there story wrapped up. But in the end there was no mention of him. Was kinda pointless introducing his character and then that was it. Unless he died and I just forgot about it.

Episode 142 might be one of my favourite episodes. As a Hisoka fan that intro was perfect. Showed how truly next level he is.

This is something i have wondered about too. Always assumed she was an assassin and they somehow met or that the family actually married within itself.

fertygo

Its one of those thing that the creator just wanna draw

See the Zodiac? their clothing also not make any sense =p

I already saw 6 episodes and it has some great moments. It is kind of dark in a very whimsical way, kinda like watching happy tree friends but without the gore. Will I see more of this?

Jigolo

I already saw 6 episodes and it has some great moments. It is kind of dark in a very whimsical way, kinda like watching happy tree friends but without the gore. Will I see more of this?

You've barely scratched the surface of the show if you've only seen the first 6 episodes. It's only uphill from there.

Kieli

it will soon get dark in dark way.

Careful about setting up expectations. Some people can tune out other people hinting at future things, but some will have their expectations hyped way too high and hate it.

Not saying that's what you're doing right now, but I thought it'd be a good springboard to chime in.

Edit: Can't wait until GoT passes the book. Book readers can eat shit.

You've barely scratched the surface of the show if you've only seen the first 6 episodes. It's only uphill from there.

it will soon get dark in dark way.

Careful about setting up expectations. Some people can tune out other people hinting at future things, but some will have their expectations hyped way too high and hate it.

Not saying that's what you're doing right now, but I thought it'd be a good springboard to chime in.

Edit: Can't wait until GoT passes the book. Book readers can eat shit.

Good good! That part where hisoka dissolves the guy's arms into petals was morbid. And then the derpy creatures of the swamp fucking up the contestants was great.

Good good! That part where hisoka dissolves the guy's arms into petals was morbid. And then the derpy creatures of the swamp fucking up the contestants was great.

Enjoy the ride then!

Not to overhype, but people actually got pissed at the part with petals. Everyone thought this would be heavily censored compared to the original series, but we all were eventually proven wrong.

Kieli

A lot of people like to use the word "deconstruction" to pitch Hunter x Hunter to a potential viewer.

I don't necessarily disagree with this label.

However, I notice a lot of the people coming into this thread don't really watch anime.

Is it really in our best interest to go for that angle when the guys don't really know what HxH is deconstructing in the first place?

if a dub was released who would you guys want to be VAs?

I can't really think of anyone suitable off the top of my head for the main characters :/

honestly the voice actors in the 1999 anime were pretty decent in the dub. Uvogin's VA was on point.

FYI, the petals was a censored scene that was actually more morbid. That censorship stops when the series starts getting really dark.

Top Bottom