• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

saher

Banned
I vote for YuYu remake, if its done by the same people who did HxH it should be amazing

or 20th Century Boys

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Marathoned the 1st three season on netflix in a week.

1st season: pretty damn good.
2nd season: horribly boring, forced myself to finish.
3rd season: holy shit. I am a fan now.

How is the 4th & 5th seasons. Do they keep up the momentum from the 3rd?

Kieli

How does Netflix organize the episodes?

Usually, we refer to one season of an anime every 13 (or sometimes 26) episodes. Otherwise, we can also refer to an "arc", which constitutes all episodes that make up a particular segment of the show.

Episodes 1 - 21: Hunter Exam Arc
Episodes 22 - 26: Zoldyeck Family Arc
Episodes 27 - 36: Heavens Arena Arc

Is that where you are at now?

shira

You can't marathon the ant arc. Your brain would melt

kirblar

There are three distinct sections of the Ant arc:
Opening-> Birth of King, TRAIN TRAIN TRAIN, and The Assault
Marathoning it in chunks would work. 76-92 is the first section, 93-110 the second, 111-136 the third.

the current chapters of the manga aren't badly drawn (pretty detailed).... text is quite dense though especially since it is weekly, progress would be more slower then someone who is use to the anime (which usually tosses in 3-4 chapters in one episode)

I actually feel that because of how dense the text is it seems like I'm getting as much content as an episode of HxH. That and it takes me 15-20 minutes to read and understand the chapters lol

I vote for YuYu remake, if its done by the same people who did HxH it should be amazing

or 20th Century Boys

I've been waiting for a YuYu remake for years. it needs to happen!

You can't marathon the ant arc. Your brain would melt

I disagree, marathoning the ant arc is the best way to do it!

I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would want a Yu Yu remake, that would be a colossal waste of time considering the original anime is pretty damn good as is already.

Get the team to do a Rurnouni Kenshin remake and I am game.

"She's the only mom I have"

wave_of_feels-18739.gif

Jigolo

Man I am going to miss this anime so much. I'm starting my rewatch/read along right now! (except this time on Netflix) and reading my actual volumes.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would want a Yu Yu remake, that would be a colossal waste of time considering the original anime is pretty damn good as is already.

Get the team to do a Rurnouni Kenshin remake and I am game.

Repeat it so the gods may hear it.

antibolo

Banned
Toei's latest victim is World Trigger

R.I.P

That Sailor Moon remake is also a fucking abomination. The way they're half-assing through this timeless classic is unforgivable. What's the fucking point of making a remake if you're going to have worse animation. I hope it gets cancelled and then promptly forgotten.

Zeliard

I disagree, marathoning the ant arc is the best way to do it!

I don't think I could have watched the Chimera Ant arc week-to-week. The pacing would have driven me insane. Even watching episodes consecutively, it was like holy fuck, get to it already. Character-building is one thing; intense repetition and prolongation with no benefit is another, and it was especially bad in the latter half of the arc. Shame because the scenarios and Ant designs were otherwise stellar.

Jigolo

So here's what I found in differences between the volumes and the 2011 anime. (Other than the Kite and Hisoka censorship)

Vol 1 (Ch 1-8) are covered in episodes 1-5 [5 contains Ch 9 and 2 pages of Ch 10 though]

- The pinky promise with Mito was not in the manga
- The boys were never eaten by the frog-in-waiting was not in the manga
- Kurapika and Leorio never faced the dinosaur with strawberries on it's back was not in the manga
- Hisoka's fight with the examinee's was different
- Of course dialogue changes
- Anime missed the part where Gon told Mito what's up (booo)

Overall pretty faithful with some padding here and there but it's not really bad padding.

Kurtofan

There were some minor differences for the first arc, including some filler showing how they spent their 50 hours in the tower but after that it was super faithful.

jordisok

Can't believe there's only a few eps left :'(.

So I've only really watched the anime, and I own the first 2 volumes of the manga I bought recently to get a feel for it, time to switch to reading the manga??

Kieli

So I've only really watched the anime, and I own the first 2 volumes of the manga I bought recently to get a feel for it, time to switch to reading the manga??

VizManga offers digital subscription with the latest chapters of HxH + ~160 pages of other manga every week.

It's only $26/year. That's a toonie a month.

Jigolo

Vol 2 (Ch 9-17) / Episode 6 - 8 and half of 9

- They omitted the whole sushi part of the phase 2
- Also omitted when Netero and Beans receive the call on the blimp (Netero is drinking from a huge straw)
- Killua badassnes was censored

upandaway

Can't say I liked the anime for the Hunter Exam arc. The first anime changed things too, but I liked them way better.

In general I think the 2011 version only becomes good in Heaven's Arena and amazing in Yorkshin

Kieli

Hunter x Hunter - Episode 143

I don't quite get what happened in the end. Why did Hisoka leave?

How come Illumi let Killua go even though he didn't divulge how the rules apply (or don't apply) to him?

kirblar

I don't quite get what happened in the end. Why did Hisoka leave?

How come Illumi let Killua go even though he didn't divulge how the rules apply (or don't apply) to him?
Cause it wasn't worth interfering once Alluka's healing was revealed - he was worried about getting killed, but left it alone once it was clear Gon would be saved with no impact on him.

He got to keep all his toys.

I don't think I could have watched the Chimera Ant arc week-to-week. The pacing would have driven me insane. Even watching episodes consecutively, it was like holy fuck, get to it already. Character-building is one thing; intense repetition and prolongation with no benefit is another, and it was especially bad in the latter half of the arc. Shame because the scenarios and Ant designs were otherwise stellar.

gotta disagree with you. the ant arc is my favorite, and the story telling is fantastic. Different strokes though.

Episode 143

Hisoka <3
Morel being modest too.

phaze

Yeah I didn't understand it either,

Hunters drop dead left and right but none of the Zodiacs seem to give a shit. This organisation doesn't make a shred of sense.

Hoping we will see more of Kurapika soon.

That Sailor Moon remake is also a fucking abomination. The way they're half-assing through this timeless classic is unforgivable. What's the fucking point of making a remake if you're going to have worse animation. I hope it gets cancelled and then promptly forgotten.

never got to watch the remake but that is unfortunate

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member

Hunters drop dead left and right but none of the Zodiacs seem to give a shit. This organisation doesn't make a shred of sense.

It's confusing. When Ilumi threatened to kill Gon after the exam and asked Netero if that was cool he also said something along the lines of "Whatever floats your boat dude." But that attitude seems to be contradicted somewhat now with these events. It's weird but maybe I'm not getting something.

EmiPrime

I marathoned the whole thing in a space of a few weeks and I really loved it. I hope Netflix put up more anime, I don't know if I would have discovered this otherwise.

I read ahead to see what happens at the end of the arc and I kind of wish I hadn't. The drawing is kind of atrocious compared to the production values of the anime.

kirblar

It's confusing. When Ilumi threatened to kill Gon after the exam and asked Netero if that was cool he also said something along the lines of "Whatever floats your boat dude." But that attitude seems to be contradicted somewhat now with these events. It's weird but maybe I'm not getting something.
Netero's Lasseiz-Faire attitude towards the whole murder thing is a big source of the debate over the direction of the organization.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Netero's Lasseiz-Faire attitude towards the whole murder thing is a big source of the debate over the direction of the organization.

I see. I thought the Rule 4 thing actually forbids hunters from hunting hunters in this Hunter x Hunter show.

Moaradin

I marathoned the whole thing in a space of a few weeks and I really loved it. I hope Netflix put up more anime, I don't know if I would have discovered this otherwise.

I read ahead to see what happens at the end of the arc and I kind of wish I hadn't. The drawing is kind of atrocious compared to the production values of the anime.

Watch the rest on Crunchyroll or something! I can't imagine stopping halfway in that arc.

kirblar

I see. I thought the Rule 4 thing actually forbids hunters from hunting hunters in this Hunter x Hunter show.
You're not actually a Hunter until you pass that Nen test. :p

Also - note the complete and utter disregard for everyday citizens.

EmiPrime

Watch the rest on Crunchyroll or something! I can't imagine stopping halfway in that arc.

Oh I am all caught up on the anime through other means. No way I could stop, it was just too good!

Has Crunchyroll improved at all for UK people? Last I checked it was a bit crap.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
You're not actually a Hunter until you pass that Nen test. :p

I still think that's a weird distinction. The people who passed the exam do think they're hunters up until passing that test. They have a license and clearly enjoy some of the benefits that comes with it and I'd imagine some of the Nen users that pass who don't give a fuck would love laughing at people who only passed the preliminary exam.

Big One

Banned

Yeah you probably should. The recent chapters have been some really epic shit (it's going to be even better once animated imo).

Btw I wouldn't be too sad, the ending will probably be on a high note if I had to guess what they're going to do for it aka there WILL be closure.
I'm guessing, however, they're going to omit Ging talking about the Dark Continent, cause if they didn't that'd be a BIG tease for the fans of the anime.

Episode 143 spoilers!
Wait what just happened? Why did Illumi let Killua go? Why was Killua crying? Because he actually cares for Illumi too?

Edit: Oh was it because if Something heals someone, she doesn't ask for anything big back on her subsequent wishes? Would make sense as Killua seems to have no qualms about asking her to heal that bird before. He'd be adamant about it if there were big consequences.

Yonafunu

Yeah you probably should. The recent chapters have been some really epic shit (it's going to be even better once animated imo).

Btw I wouldn't be too sad, the ending will probably be on a high note if I had to guess what they're going to do for it aka there WILL be closure.
I'm guessing, however, they're going to omit Ging talking about the Dark Continent, cause if they didn't that'd be a BIG tease for the fans of the anime.

Probably shouldn't talk about that, even if you're tagging it.

Especially if you're not tagging it as manga stuff.

I felt this way as well. While the Chimera Ant arc was pretty damn good, it could have had half the number of episodes. I was specialy bothered by it because I've always praised HxH for having shorter arcs, with awesome pace. I was lucky to watch them consecutively.

I think that's a bit of the point: to show how the organization is flawed, and how they desperately need some new direction to it. I kinda like the whole political aspect to it, and I wish it could have been better fleshed out.

Top Bottom