• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Next tuesday.
So the 26th?

I stopped reading the manga during the Chimera Ant arc years ago. Seeing the whole story animated was fantastic. Some scenes really left an emotional impact (I got a little teary-eyed when tiny baby Kite was born) and story events surprised me. Only thing that bothered me was the extensive narrator exposition and dragging on near the middle. With the anime ending soon, I'll have to start reading the manga again.

HxH really is a step above the other Shonens I've watched. While One Piece has some interesting elements and does build a large(r) world, it's hampered by beating you over the head with messages/themes that are more simple compared to HxH. The use of multiple perspectives and critical thinking is quality writing.

Any other Crunchyroll series I should look into? Fuck Naruto and Bleach. I'll probably check out Kill la Kill. Wish they had Monster, I'd give that a re-watch.

phaze

^I'm moderately offended.

So the 26th?

Any other Crunchyroll series I should look into? Fuck Naruto and Bleach. I'll probably check out Kill la Kill. Wish they had Monster, I'd give that a re-watch.

Kyousougiga

also ... Kyousougiga

besides that ... Kyousougiga

but seriously, give it a try ...

Outside of that:

Fate/Zero
Gurren Lagann
Madoka Magica
Durarara
Gankutsuo

Very well regarded but have not seen it yet. Shinsekai Yori, Mushishi

Jigolo

Vol 4 (Ch 27-35) / Episode 16 - first half of 20

- Geretta beheading was censored

This whole part was pretty damn close to 1:1 as far as I could tell. Some of my favorite scenes of the series were in these episodes.

*Hisoka's bloodlust (Gon's fear)
HorribleSubs_Hunter_X_Hunter_-_16_720p.mkv_snapshot_10.40_2012.01.23_00.17.08.jpg

*Gon saying "Never~!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHHsX-kNUP8

Jigolo

Vol 5 (Ch 36-44) / Episode second half of 20 - first 2 min of 27 (OMIT 26, ALL FILLER)

- When the boys and Pokkle exchanged emails in the manga they had no idea what the hell that was. Probably considering these chapters came out in the late 90's early 00's. They didn't even question it in the 2011 anime. Found this part really funny.
- When Satotz spoke to Gon about Ging that was handled a bit differently (since he doesn't have Ging's hunter license in the anime yet)
- Leorio opened the Testing Gate alone while in the anime all 3 of them helped.
- Milluki didn't burn Killua with the cigarette he was smoking while torturing him in the anime. In the manga he did.

Was there any point in that episode that dealt with the NGL underground leader Gyro?
The one they showed a flashback episode dealing with his origin.

After that, they mentioned he might still be alive & is never brought up again.

Hey guys, I found this on Netflix recently. Now I base most of the animes I watch on how complete they are. As in is there a lot of story missing which will be found in the manga? There's 5 seasons on UK Netflix now. Is it worth watching?

Ps I'm just coming off Kill a Kill which had the entire season and story on Netflix. I liked that. The anime itself was a tad weird but a hilarious weird. Loved it.

Jigolo

Was there any point in that episode that dealt with the NGL underground leader Gyro?
The one they showed a flashback episode dealing with his origin.

After that, they mentioned he might still be alive & is never brought up again.

Besides the flashback episode there hasn't been an episode that really dealt with him other than Welfin and Ikalgo mentioning him a bit. I'm sure he isn't a wasted character so just be patient.

Hey guys, I found this on Netflix recently. Now I base most of the animes I watch on how complete they are. As in is there a lot of story missing which will be found in the manga? There's 5 seasons on UK Netflix now. Is it worth watching?

Ps I'm just coming off Kill a Kill which had the entire season and story on Netflix. I liked that. The anime itself was a tad weird but a hilarious weird. Loved it.
This one is as pretty damn complete as can get right now. Togashi is still writing so the complete story is far from finished. Still it's worth getting into. Netflix only has about 100 episodes I believe and there will be 148 total for the 2011 anime with a really great ending point. Like I said he is still writing the manga but in a way the story will feel complete with the way they end the anime. I recommend it.

The best way this can be described as being as good as One Piece but not backing down on death & violence.
At times, this is Berserk/Fist of the North Star violent.

The best way this can be described as being as good as One Piece but not backing down on death & violence.
At times, this is Berserk/Fist of the North Star violent.

Unfortunately I'm still rather new to anime scene so I have no idea what you're talking about haha. I've only watched a few anime - kill la kill, Gurren Lagann, DB and Deathnote. Gave up on the last one near the end. Found knights of sidonia on Netflix too so I'll give that a watch.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Unfortunately I'm still rather new to anime scene so I have no idea what you're talking about haha. I've only watched a few anime - kill la kill, Gurren Lagann, DB and Deathnote. Gave up on the last one near the end. Found knights of sidonia on Netflix too so I'll give that a watch.

Just watch it, man. It's good stuff.

Nibel

Hunter X Hunter is probably better than all of these. It's also much longer.

Death Note has a fantastic first half, then it tanks in the second half.

Another anime that many anime newcomer should watch is Attack On Titan which should be on Netflix as well.

Enjoy!

Zero2kz

Just started watching this about a week ago. Already on Episode 114.

Have not seen the original anime or read the manga. So far the Chimera Ant arc is the weakest in my opinion. But still overall enjoying it.

kirblar

Just started watching this about a week ago. Already on Episode 114.

Have not seen the original anime or read the manga. So far the Chimera Ant arc is the weakest in my opinion. But still overall enjoying it.
Chimera Ant Arc suffered from pacing issues likely caused by the IRL stop/starts.

But the payoff is incredible, and I think it did need to have that longevity in some ways, storytelling-wise.

Zeliard

gotta disagree with you. the ant arc is my favorite, and the story telling is fantastic. Different strokes though.

I was disappointed in the Chimera Ant arc, honestly. I was totally on board right up until the palace invasion, at which point the pacing just went to absolute shit. Keep in mind that I came into the HxH reboot late so I haven't exactly kept up with the real-time discussion, but suffice it to say that even in marathoning the thing, I still found chimera almost intolerable to sit through. Had I been watching it week-to-week, I honestly think I would have just given up on it.

It was just so dreadfully slow, and not only that, but the focus often went towards characters the audience was far more likely to consider less meaningful. And I'm someone who completely values character development over plot progression. This was something else entirely. The narrator was absolutely dreadful; not only did he frequently interrupt the pace with his monotone delivery of obvious sentiments, but he insulted the audience's intelligence along with it. The majority of what he said could be sussed out by the viewer given the character development that had already taken place. His insights were often very superficial.

I understand that the prolonged narration was a part of the manga with this arc, but what works in written text doesn't necessarily work when transferred to another medium. Extensive narration and exposition in television or film is just bad storytelling. Show, don't tell.

It's a shame too, since Meruem was an absolutely phenomenal villain, and right up there with Hisoka as the best in the series so far. I also thought the general Chimera Ant arc concept was well-conveyed and made for an interesting wrinkle, given how powerful these entities were. The Royal Guard were distinctive and well-drawn, and I thought their various interactions and feelings towards the King were well-thought-out. And the actual ending of the arc was perfect and poignant. I consider the Chimera Ant arc to have both the highest highs and the lowest lows of the series as a whole so far.

kirblar

I do think the CA arc needed trimming in some sections (the Dart game was completely unnecessary) but I think it needed to have heft in order to get across the character changes that follow it. The arc was figuratively/literally sending the boys to war. And when Killua comes back, he suddenly refocuses on his family in a way that he didn't ever do before.

There's too much drag in CA arc. So much delay before they actually invade. Too much talking in circles in the middle of fights. A lot of the fights there could have been shortened. Eg, Shoot vs Youpi was dragged faaaaaar too long.

Kieli

I was disappointed in the Chimera Ant arc, honestly. I was totally on board right up until the palace invasion, at which point the pacing just went to absolute shit. Keep in mind that I came into the HxH reboot late so I haven't exactly kept up with the real-time discussion, but suffice it to say that even in marathoning the thing, I still found chimera almost intolerable to sit through. Had I been watching it week-to-week, I honestly think I would have just given up on it.

It was just so dreadfully slow, and not only that, but the focus often went towards characters the audience was far more likely to consider less meaningful. And I'm someone who completely values character development over plot progression. This was something else entirely. The narrator was absolutely dreadful; not only did he frequently interrupt the pace with his monotone delivery of obvious sentiments, but he insulted the audience's intelligence along with it. The majority of what he said could be sussed out by the viewer given the character development that had already taken place. His insights were often very superficial.

I understand that the prolonged narration was a part of the manga with this arc, but what works in written text doesn't necessarily work when transferred to another medium. Extensive narration and exposition in television or film is just bad storytelling. Show, don't tell.

It's a shame too, since Meruem was an absolutely phenomenal villain, and right up there with Hisoka as the best in the series so far. I also thought the general Chimera Ant arc concept was well-conveyed and made for an interesting wrinkle, given how powerful these entities were. The Royal Guard were distinctive and well-drawn, and I thought their various interactions and feelings towards the King were well-thought-out. And the actual ending of the arc was perfect and poignant. I consider the Chimera Ant arc to have both the highest highs and the lowest lows of the series as a whole so far.

Absolute terrible decision on Madhouse's part to do a 1:1 adaptation of the Chimera Ant arc.

The narrator was acceptable in the manga (as you could dictate your reading pace or ignore him entirely). What takes perhaps 10 seconds of reading is stretched out into 5 unbearable minutes where you're getting lectured like a kid.

Awful.

But I suppose it gave them the excuse to stretch out the anime as long as possible before they'd have to stop working on it (which is why I avoid anime like One Piece like the plague).

Kieli

The Chimera Ant arc is not a 1:1 adaption. Most episodes were like 2-3 chapters.

Oh, I meant 1:1 adaptation in terms of style. What works for the manga (i.e. the narrator) absolutely does not work for a visual medium such as anime.

To ape the old adage: show, don't tell.

Moaradin

Oh, I meant 1:1 adaptation in terms of style. What works for the manga (i.e. the narrator) absolutely does not work for a visual medium such as anime.

Eh, I don't agree that the narrator doesn't work. I thought the narrator was required to properly portray that arc and I think it worked extremely well in the anime.

dan2026

But if they cut all the narration people would bitch that they are changing things.

For better or worse they adapted what was written on the page.

I personally don't care for all the excessive narration either, but thats what Togashi went with.

Maybe it's because I read the manga first that none of these things affected me during the anime's adaptation of the arc. I agree, it did suffer pacing issues, but nothing that off put me from watching it. The character development and interaction is fantastic during this arc, and I really do think the narrator was necessary for most of it, but it could have been cut down somewhat. This arc is the best to me because it takes the story telling of the series to new levels by (in my opinion anyway) being able to portray a plethora of characters in an interesting and thoughtful way. None of the characters were bad, some of them may have been irrelevant, but almost all of them were written in a way that was interesting. The premise for the arc had me hooked from the beginning as well. Just an amazing arc all around, from the start to the end, I never thought there was a bad moment. I respect your opinion, but I wish it was different lol.

edit: Not to mention it has some of the best action scenes in the series. Godspeed Killua vs Youpi/Pouf
Netero vs. Meruem
Gon "vs" Pitou

2dd.jpg

only things on par with those IMO are Kurapika vs Uvo and the Dodgeball game in GI

Eh, I don't agree that the narrator doesn't work. I thought the narrator was required to properly portray that arc and I think it worked extremely well in the anime.

Moaradin I want you to be my best friend please

So was I, until I saw the 21 episodes after episode 114. More than made up for the mediocre quality of most of the earlier chimera ant arc

The exposition of the arc is great. I love the part where Gon and Killua are travelling with Kite to find the nest.

There's too much drag in CA arc. So much delay before they actually invade. Too much talking in circles in the middle of fights. A lot of the fights there could have been shortened. Eg, Shoot vs Youpi was dragged faaaaaar too long.

this fight was barely one episode wasn't it? Or am I remembering it wrong? Regardless I loved seeing Shoot's Nen in action.

Nibel

How anyone can call the Chimera Ant arc 'the weakest' when it has the Netero vs Meruem and Gon vs Pitou fights is beyond me. Those two made up for the pacing issues which occurred much later in the arc, and then there is the fantastic payoff in the end.

Easily the best arc in the entire series.

EmiPrime

I can imagine the Chimera Ant arc pacing being very frustrating if you're being drip fed one episode a week but as I marathoned the whole thing it wasn't so bad. Definitely one of my favourite anime arcs.

I am up to Byakko vs Kuwabara in YYH and I am not really feeling it. It's a massive step down after Hunter X Hunter's dramatics.

blakep267

Marathoned the eps on Netflix a few days ago. Man, Killua is so badass. Gon is a little to goku-y for my taste. It sucks that I'm already caught up tho

Top Bottom