• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

Yonafunu

It is consistent with the story but the plot should have been planned so the yakuza delinquent with a chameleon riding on his back defeated the hulkesque giant monster instead.

Why?

The Youpi fight is probably my favorite among the invasion battles.

OmegaX

Funny how half the members aren't even 3 star Hunters.
Even Ging is a two star hunter.

Acording the the wiki:

"3 Star (Triple Hunter) - Given to hunters who have made extraordinary contributions to society over several fields. This is the rarest and most difficult rank to obtain, and is considered a great honor. The number of 3-Star hunters is about 10."

I'm guessing most 3 star hunters must be very old and have a varierty of interests other than fighting.

upandaway

Acording the the wiki:

"3 Star (Triple Hunter) - Given to hunters who have made extraordinary contributions to society over several fields. This is the rarest and most difficult rank to obtain, and is considered a great honor. The number of 3-Star hunters is about 10."

I'm guessing most 3 star hunters must be very old and have a varierty of interests other than fighting.
Just saying in case someone starts thinking certain thoughts, y'all anime watchers please stay far far far away from the wiki.

daniels

I think many of the surviving people of the chimera ant arc deserves a 3 star rank
especially morel and maybe gon :) Exceptions are knov :( and hmm knuckle is also difficult
i mean he put in the work but at the end made in my opinion a huge mistake ..even if it fits his personality.

daniels

I know Knov wussed out, but without him no one would have done jack shit.

yeah true his metal gear episode was awesome :) i honestly would not know what rank i would give knov and knuckle and that is actually pretty cool^^
But i think morel is without a doubt the most deserving that dude has stamina and put in some work lol and it has nothing to do with that he is now one
of my faviourt anime charakter ever ^^°
RFi1CHM.jpg

Hellraider

It is consistent with the story but the plot should have been planned so the yakuza delinquent with a chameleon riding on his back defeated the hulkesque giant monster instead.

Why? To have another predictable, generic battle-shounen fight and outcome?

Youpi's anti-trope conclusion that we got was original, amazing and rewarding. Why would you want to see what you have witnessed in dozens other anime of its genre?

antibolo

Banned

No. Shattering our shounen expectations is what HxH is all about.

Why?

The Youpi fight is probably my favorite among the invasion battles.

I agree. Lots of development on Youpi and Knuckle's parts. Also we got to see Hotel Rafflesia in action so it's always a win for me.

edit: not my favorite but it's really good

I know Knov wussed out, but without him no one would have done jack shit.

My brother hates Knov because he wussed out, but honestly it's a reasonable reaction. His fight or flight instinct took in and he knew he was beaten so he ran away, it doesn't mean he's worth less than the other characters, at least in my opinion. Also, as you said without Knov the whole mission would have gone (further) to shit anyway. Also he saved Shoot and Morau, so he gets points for that.

Acording the the wiki:

If I'm not mistaken Ging is qualified to receive a triple star license but he hasn't yet. Maybe it has to do with him missing his Hunter's License? lol

also I'm sure everyone knows this but rank really doesn't mean shit in the long run. Hisoka is un-ranked and he slaughters powerful hunters (Bushidora, single star) like there's not tomorrow lol

edit: Morau is a single star hunter right?

Yonafunu

Hisoka rated them as the strongest ones though. Hisoka ass pull sensing ability> official Hunter ranks

Star ranks don't necessarily have anything to do with strength, though. It's your contributions to society and the Association that matter.

ElFly

No. Shattering our shounen expectations is what HxH is all about.

It shattered my expectations by being an anticlimatic lame ending to a super prolonged fight and providing absolutely no payoff to the build up and hype that knuckle got.

He definitely doesn't care. I'm pretty sure he's actually qualified to become a Triple Star Hunter. He just doesn't give a shit.

I am not sure if it matters whether he cares or not. He isn't a triple hunter prolly cause Kite isn't a star hunter or maybe because his achievements are only on archeology and videogames (lol).

Marow

Strong World and Film Z are pretty good too (would still say Baron was the best though) but that's 3/12, given I haven't seen all of them but no one really bothers to mention any of the other ones anyway so I assume they are standard movie quality.

I should get onto watching the HxH movies to see just how terrible they actually are
I realize this is a bit offtopic, but I can't help but chime in. I actually did a "Shounen Movie Marathon" for One Piece, Naruto and Bleach earlier this year. It was pretty fun to relive some memories of each series, must say, but the movies were very inconsistent in quality. It's mainly "Great" or "Terrible", with very few in-between. Either way, here are the movies I'd recommend:

One Piece Movie 4 - Dead End Adventure
One Piece Movie 6 - Baron Omatsuri and the Secret Island (Note: this isn't very One Piece at all, but it's a great movie by the director of The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and Summer Wars, and also my favorite OP movie)
One Piece Movie 10 - Strong World
One Piece Movie 11 - Film Z
One Piece 3D - Mugiwara Chase (Note: I realize the 3D might turn you off, but it's very well-made and it's much more dynamic than the usual animation)

The rest are rather boring, sadly. If anything, give the first two a watch. On the other hand, I highly recommend the special OVAs as they're also pretty good.

Wiseblade

About that chart... Aren't the two chapters in 2013 the Kurapika backstory? I wouldn't even count those. Just give Togashi his unbroken year award.

phaze

Star ranks don't necessarily have anything to do with strength, though. It's your contributions to society and the Association that matter.

I need to lie down cause I misread the post I quoted and miswrote my own. But yeah you're right of course.

Zeliard

This is nothing but truth. I personally found the pacing and focus on pointless side characters bad before the palace arc.

The pacing wasn't actually the only thing I found to be poor about the Chimera Ant arc. I also didn't like where they took Gon's character. Having only seen the anime and not read the manga, I didn't at all feel his incredible anger re: Kite was justified at all.

Both Kite's character and the Gon-Kite relationship simply wasn't built up nearly well enough to condone his demeanor in that arc. It was something I would have accepted had it happened to Killua or someone the anime had truly and properly conveyed as being very close and important to Gon, but I really didn't get that impression out of Kite.

So the whole enraged Gon/Super Saiyan Gon thing not only didn't strike a chord with me, but I frankly felt it just came off as ridiculous and almost comical. Gon goes from generally happy-go-lucky and carefree goofy kid to willing to throw everything away and descend into madness and possible death for a character the audience didn't have a proper connection to.

What I really do like about the Gon character in general is that the anime (and presumably manga) conveyed that his morals are quite questionable, in that he doesn't really take the time to consider whether something is truly right or wrong. He's basically just a stupidly powerful child who just goes by gut instinct, regardless of the consequences. This can be very interesting characterization, especially for a protagonist, and it has good potential. But it hasn't been demonstrated to any appreciable degree yet and I think the sort of stuff demonstrated in the Chimera Ant arc just squanders it.

I appreciate that the power Gon demonstrated versus Pitou has serious drawbacks, and that's all well and good, but doesn't change the notion that his anger never really felt justified.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
The stupid changes they made to the Kite-Gon relationship is the only problem I have with this adaptation.

It made no sense and cheapened the best arc.

Jigolo

The pacing wasn't actually the only thing I found to be poor about the Chimera Ant arc. I also didn't like where they took Gon's character. Having only seen the anime and not read the manga, I didn't at all feel his incredible anger re: Kite was justified at all.

Both Kite's character and the Gon-Kite relationship simply wasn't built up nearly well enough to condone his demeanor in that arc. It was something I would have accepted had it happened to Killua or someone the anime had truly and properly conveyed as being very close and important to Gon, but I really didn't get that impression out of Kite.

So the whole enraged Gon/Super Saiyan Gon thing not only didn't strike a chord with me, but I frankly felt it just came off as ridiculous and almost comical. Gon goes from generally happy-go-lucky and carefree goofy kid to willing to throw everything away and descend into madness and possible death for a character the audience didn't have a proper connection to.

What I really do like about the Gon character in general is that the anime (and presumably manga) conveyed that his morals are quite questionable, in that he doesn't really take the time to consider whether something is truly right or wrong. He's basically just a stupidly powerful child who just goes by gut instinct, regardless of the consequences. This is potentially very interesting characterization, especially for a protagonist, and it has good potential. But it hasn't been demonstrated to any appreciable degree yet and I think the sort of stuff demonstrated in the Chimera Ant arc just squanders it.

I appreciate that the power Gon demonstrated versus Pitou has serious drawbacks, and that's all well and good, but doesn't change the notion that his anger never really felt justified.

There's the problem. Not your fault because Madhouse fucked this up.

Moaradin

Not only would that go against Knuckle's character, it would also completely ruin Youpi's character arc.

EmiPrime

I loved the chimera ant arc but I kind of agree with that having dipped into the manga after I had exhausted the anime to see the changes. They inexplicably botched the start of the 2011 anime series (Kite should have been in episode 1) and it really bit them in the arse later. It was a bit odd to see Gon so wound up about the death of someone he had completely forgotten about up until their reunion a week ago rather than the man who tells Gon that his dad is still alive and inspired him to become a Hunter (he gives him his hunter license).

All this is in chapter 1 if anyone wants to see for themselves.

How was their relationship in the manga?
Madhouse completely skipped the part where they first met, which convinced Gon to become a Hunter. I guess part of the reason is because they wanted to rush through the earlier parts ala FMA:B, but there are sooooo many arcs until this adaptation picks up where the original left off. It's not like FMA:B where story gets a major deviation as early as a few episodes in.

It was shown in the original adaptation if you don't want to read the manga.

Biochet

2009 must have been a brutal year for the hxh bros

also maybe he intended the CA arc to drag so that he could introduce as many characters as possible as well as develop the ones that already exist, like maybe in future arcs(yeah rite) we could see what happens to palm and the new changes to the association after neteros thing and welfin and the koala and all the other ants, and the most important character in the history of characters ma boi hisoka.

What I really do like about the Gon character in general is that the anime (and presumably manga) conveyed that his morals are quite questionable, in that he doesn't really take the time to consider whether something is truly right or wrong. He's basically just a stupidly powerful child who just goes by gut instinct, regardless of the consequences. This is potentially very interesting characterization, especially for a protagonist, and it has good potential. But it hasn't been demonstrated to any appreciable degree yet and I think the sort of stuff demonstrated in the Chimera Ant arc just squanders it.

This, very much this. I think that 99.9% of the fanbase agree with this. They really fucked this up. I'm thinking someone forgot to insert it in the first episode, tbh.

smurfx

get some go again
2009 must have been a brutal year for the hxh bros

also maybe he intended the CA arc to drag so that he could introduce as many characters as possible as well as develop the ones that already exist, like maybe in future arcs(yeah rite) we could see what happens to palm and the new changes to the association after neteros thing and welfin and the koala and all the other ants, and the most important character in the history of characters ma boi hisoka.
wonder how many of those characters he developed in the chimera ant arc will get killed later on.

Madhouse completely skipped the part where they first met, which convinced Gon to become a Hunter. I guess part of the reason is because they wanted to rush through the earlier parts ala FMA:B, but there are sooooo many arcs until this adaptation picks up where the original left off. It's not like FMA:B where story gets a major deviation as early as a few episodes in.

They didn't skipped it. They just showed it in a different place, time-wise.

The same.

Moaradin

Gon meeting Kite for the first time was shown in multiple flashbacks in the CA arc. I agree that it was a mistake to not put it in the first episode, but Gon's motivation does not change.

Gon meeting Kite for the first time was shown in multiple flashbacks in the CA arc. I agree that it was a mistake to not put it in the first episode, but Gon's motivation does not change.

Putting it in the first episode would also could have been a problem, as it is in the manga.

In the manga there wasn't a lot of impact because after 8 years, people didn't remember how the hell was Kite, lol.

Yonafunu

The same.

Nope. Kite saved Gon, sure, but they never interacted beyond that until the Chimera Ant arc. Kite didn't know that Gon was Ging son until then, and Gon didn't know Kite was Ging's student. They didn't know each other, Gon didn't even recognize Kite.

In the manga they introduced themselves back when Kite saved Gon. Kite told Gon about his father and gave him the Hunter License. Kite made him go out and find Ging. I'd say it's a pretty big difference.

jordisok

The kite thing is weird, it definitely would've benefitted from having them meet in episode 1.

Though I kinda figured watching the anime that Gon's anger about Kite was as much because he just couldn't understand the situation. Either the motivation behind the Ants, or the fact he'd convinced himself that Kite could be saved/was still alive, it's known he often thinks about things in quite simple terms and a big part of it was just personal illusions being shattered.

Shouta

The first HxH series handles Kite and Gon's relationship better by adjusting the order of events during their encounter and adding a little bit. It does a lot. It's the first 15 minutes of the first episode so I'd highly recommend checking it out for a better understanding of their relationship. Both the 2011 and Manga versions are pretty short and don't really make it out to something other than a single encounter. The 1999 version makes it feel like a significant meeting in Gon's life and a catalyst for his journey.

The first HxH series handles Kite and Gon's relationship better by adjusting the order of events during their encounter and adding a little bit. It does a lot. It's the first 15 minutes of the first episode so I'd highly recommend checking it out for a better understanding of their relationship. Both the 2011 and Manga versions are pretty short and don't really make it out to something other than a single encounter. The 1999 version makes it feel like a significant meeting in Gon's life and a catalyst for his journey.

I want to read it, but I'll wait til the series is finished to start
(gonna need to fill the void)

As someone who had never read the manga, I just assumed because Kite was a friend of Ging's and a great hunter, Gon had tremendous respect for him, and that through Kite's mentoring would allow Gon to become an even better Hunter than he was now. Gon costing Kite his life because of his weakness was why he was so hard on himself. He knew he was weak and that he need a different faster way to compete on the same level as Pitou with his(her) blood-lusting aura. Gon was his typical self before the invasion (went on a date, training with Killua, etc...), but when it came time to fight at the palace, he poured all his hate and rage into his fists because he believed he could possibly die fighting for revenge, and he didn't want to be caught off guard exposing him and his friends like the first time they ran into Pitou. Later, that same hate and rage and thirst for vengeance would start to be the only thing he sees...

I guess what I'm trying to say is, for me, I was hooked and felt Gon's regret and rage so it felt natural to me that he would want, no... need to put it all on the line to defeat what seemed like an unbeatable opponent, who wasn't even as strong as Mereum, but still more than skilled enough to kill him and possibly more of his friends.

It was one of the many highlights of the arc and in hindsight I can see why some people may have issues with Gon's motivations because of Madhouse's exclusions, but being along for that week to week ride oblivious to the manga content, it was the fastest, most intense/suspenseful 22 minutes ever. And it didn't let up until the end of the arc.

It may have been ruined, but for me, that means it went from potential being F**kin' great to only being what I saw...

...which was freakin' badass!

And the comments, gifs and fan art that came out here on GAF as each episode in the arc released, was pretty epic, week to week. I don't think there was a single complaint. Just chills and an unexplainable level of excitement whenever Gon would go "Killua levels" of dark! (x100)

Top Bottom