• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

ss-hikaru

LOL Ging is all like "this is bad" but then falls asleep XD

Pariston's speech made it sound like Leorio was on par with the Zodiacs in terms of strength...maybe just in comparison to himself and Cheadle? Although given Hisoka's assessment earlier in the arc the Zodiacs are plenty strong right? Don't worry Pariston, I laughed at your little joke (or maybe more at the fact that you never say what you mean which is starting to get really amusing).

I find the Alluka stuff more interesting than the election stuff so this episode was a little boring for me.

antibolo

Banned
We should be grateful to the Greed Island arc, because without it we'd be watching the Yorknew and Chimera Ant arcs back-to-back, which would be super depressing.

The Greed Island arc was a good, cheerful break from the grimdark of Yorknew, before going into the even darker arc that follows.

LogicStep

Is it coming to an end? This can't be. :( i love everything Hunter, this arc has been fantastic ans Ging is a beast, he can see and tell so much that others have no idea.

Kieli

LOL Ging is all like "this is bad" but then falls asleep XD

Pariston's speech made it sound like Leorio was on par with the Zodiacs in terms of strength...maybe just in comparison to himself and Cheadle? Although given Hisoka's assessment earlier in the arc the Zodiacs are plenty strong right? Don't worry Pariston, I laughed at your little joke (or maybe more at the fact that you never say what you mean which is starting to get really amusing).

I find the Alluka stuff more interesting than the election stuff so this episode was a little boring for me.

Yes, Pariston is a very responsible, kind, and truthful person. He would never tell lies. Just look at his mien. Is that not the face of an angel?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Was he arrogant? At multiple times I recall him acknowledging the power difference between him and the king and even pitou.

If anything I thought he was very gracious to an enemy who regarded humans as mostly cattle.

Nibel

Meruem would have fucked the entire humanity if he'd won - Netero did what he had to do, and giving a fuck about Meruem's development is a part of that.

Astral

The fight just brought out a very unpleasant side of Netero, which I suppose was necessary considering his opponent. At that point I had already grown to really like Meruem. I hated seeing him go. I didn't want Pitou to die either but holy shit did she die lol.

daniels

Netero had to deal with the king no matter what and no matter the means.
He basically had ben dealt a shitty card. He didnt really had any choice but to use every means necessary no matter what.
But in the end i think it worked out fine even for the ants.. the surviving ants are now more or less free and a part of the world just as much as any other species.
I liked to think over the course of the ant arc we got to see a new species being born, evolve and starting to find its place in the world.
Thats why i loved the 136 epsiode so much :D a lesser anime would have stopped the arc after the "villain" is defeated but not Hunter x Hunter not Togashi :)

Jigolo

I just finished the Chimera Ant arc. Is it ok to hate Netero?

badmove2_by_aims773-d71etlu.gif

kewlmyc

The fight just brought out a very unpleasant side of Netero, which I suppose was necessary considering his opponent. At that point I had already grown to really like Meruem. I hated seeing him go. I didn't want Pitou to die either but holy shit did she die lol.

What was the bad side that was brought out of him? The fact that he knew he had to end his opponent by any means necessary or the world gets screwed?

antibolo

Banned
They locked all the voters in a room together so that Pariston can't play games with the turnout.

About that... Killua and the Hunters that have gathered to protect Gon are missing from the locked room election, aren't they? I assume that they account for less than 5%, but it's still kinda weird.

Astral

What was the bad side that was brought out of him? The fact that he knew he had to end his opponent by any means necessary or the world gets screwed?

He was absolutely ruthless. It was almost scary. Meruem was becoming more and more human. I honestly believe they would've been able to come to an understanding. I was even rooting for him lol. Maybe I just like Meruem too much.

He was absolutely ruthless. It was almost scary. Meruem was becoming more and more human. I honestly believe they would've been able to come to an understanding. I was even rooting for him lol. Maybe I just like Meruem too much.

You got problems, dude. Meruem seemed pretty set on the whole enslavement thing.

blakep267

just finished the chimera ant arc. So many feels komugi x meruem

The King was such a great character, and that arc had some many great eps. The slow motion narration ep, Netero going all out, mereum and komugi playing random game that I don't know

So I started watching Yu Yu Hakusho because I was sad that Hunter x Hunter was ending, and then I reached the end of that and now I'm sad that YYH is over :p
Yusuke and Kurama are probably my favorite of all the shonen protagonists I can think of now

Zeliard

You got problems, dude. Meruem seemed pretty set on the whole enslavement thing.

That wasn't actually the impression I got from that whole scenario. At that point, yes, Meruem was arguing for the pleasant enslavement of humanity in a zoo-like environment as he enacted some form of benevolent dictatorship, which is clearly morally unacceptable, but my view of that whole thing was that Meruem was at the point where he was potentially able and even willing to be talked down.

I saw that whole encounter with Meruem and Netero as a situation where both characters were in the right, to a certain extent. Meruem was formerly not only ultra-violent but remarkably arrogant and megalomaniacal and entirely willing and able to enact on those feelings, without remorse of any sort, and eventually through his interactions with Komugi was at a point where he was genuinely second-guessing not only his decision-making but his entire reason for existence. Netero meanwhile felt his purpose was purely to put this force of nature down and keep it from effectively destroying humanity, and to sacrifice himself for that cause if need be.

I don't criticize the Netero character for that action since Meruem and his followers had done such extreme damage by that point, but it did come across to me like Meruem genuinely yearned to change or to at least be shown a different path, and would have been pliable to effective argumentation. That Netero instead elected to use pure force was dramatic irony, as we knew Meruem sought change but also that Netero was largely unaware of that side of his character. It was just another bit of excellent characterization for Meruem, featuring a very difficult situation where both characters were basically trying to do the right thing and consequences were ultimately tragic.

upandaway

For one thing, the King was going to be the ruler of humanity no matter what negotiation it was. Even if we let go of the human zoo idea, he firmly believed that he was the best possible ruler to all creatures.

But okay, let's imagine if Netero agreed to sit down right there. Let's say best case scenario happened and the King agrees not to enslave or even rule humans. Doesn't matter, the current rulers of humans want him dead because he's a threat. And it's completely reasonable because the King's mind was extremely unstable (being like a month old). What comes out of his mouth is irrelevant to the conflict.
Even if Netero overstepped his authority to negotiate, someone else will attempt to kill the King later. And the King won't just give up his life willingly, so it'll be a repeat of the current situation (except the King would have an army at that point).

Netero couldn't have possibly sat down

Riposte

I forget, did Netero say how vaguely dangerous the mix between the mindset of ant and humans is in the anime like he did in manga?

shira

I think the problem was that Netero knew that the King was right he was the smartest and best person to lead the world, but then humanity would have been ceding a species right to the planet.

That Netero instead elected to use pure force was dramatic irony, as we knew Meruem sought change but also that Netero was largely unaware of that side of his character.

It was definitely an interesting clash of strong personalities. However, Netero's decision to force the fight was not from being unaware of Meruem's changing attitudes but was really because of it. If you remember, he comments on Meruem's apparent vacillation between his human side and his ant side and saw it as volatile rather than an opportunity.

I can definitely see Netero's side of the argument. He might be leaning towards his human side now, but whose to say where it will be a month from now - even if they have a productive chat. Meruem has only met a handful of people in his life so far and look how much Komugi affected him. Whose to say he doesn't end up someone else who does the opposite? Say perhaps some asshole narcissistic world leader that convinces him humans are scum after all? Meruem is already almost unstoppable and will only get stronger because of his ability to evolve so this might be their only chance to stop him.

You might say well just chat with him, what harm could it do but he just spent a month to prepare and psyche himself up for this match. With all these dangerous question marks hanging in the air he didn't want to do anything that would make him empathize and lose his edge. Kind of like boxers before a match. It's an interesting topic. What would you have done?

Edit - And remember even at the end of Meruem's redemptive arc he still threatens to decapitate Komugi if she throws their match. This is him at his most humane yet!

Astral

I think it's because of Meruem's evolving nature that he and Netero may have come to an understanding. Netero's heart was being swayed for a reason, and Meruem at that point respected and even admired Netero. It is true though that even had Netero sat down and negotiated, there were too many people that wanted Meruem dead. Netero had a job to do and he felt he had to carry it out before he grew to possibly like Meruem.

MCD

I forget, did Netero say how vaguely dangerous the mix between the mindset of ant and humans is in the anime like he did in manga?

I think he did. I remember him saying something to that effect. The narrator also mentions it again when the King finish his talk with Wolfen.

All in all, The King was a dangerous threat even if convinced. His mood swings could destroy humanity at any sec.

blakep267

I pretty much saw it as Meruem was "open" to being swayed fairly easily. Any reasonable argument would've changed him. Netero knew this, but sadly his job wasn't to do that. He was there to wipe them out. Ideally, meruem would go back on his ideas to enslave humanity and become some sort of enlightened leader, but that would require the people in power giving it up, which wasn't gonna happen.

What I find strange is that Netero never once brought up komugi to the king. He had a "weakness" that was obvious but netero never pressed it

Anyway we all know the answer was to have naruto talk to him. He can sway anybody's heart

Speaking about the Netero Vs Mereum fight, I think Togashi purposefully blurs the line between the hero and the villain in the encounter. Not only does he have Netero force the fight after Mereum was calling for a chat, but he defeats him using chemical warfare.

The whole thing plays out like a fucked-up version of War of the Worlds, with Netero laughing off the thought that the ants know what it is to be monsters, when humans have been around long enough to know what "monsters" are really capable of.

So I started watching Yu Yu Hakusho because I was sad that Hunter x Hunter was ending, and then I reached the end of that and now I'm sad that YYH is over :p
Yusuke and Kurama are probably my favorite of all the shonen protagonists I can think of now

Please tell me it was the dub you watched and yes Yusuke is in fact my favorite Shounen protagonist.

Top Bottom