• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

Daingurse

¯_(ツ)_/¯

I might go as far as to say I despise that arc, so I guess I'll never understand the appeal.

Have you gone into why you don't like it before in this thread? Can't remember. I like hearing people's reasoning. I personally find it hard to understand people who don't dig the Ant arc lol.

It's been discussed to death in like every HxH thread. Majority of the complaints boil down to
the shitty pacing due to Narrator because Togashi randomly decided that tell > show.

Ferrio

Banned
Have you gone into why you don't like it before? I like hearing people's reasoning. I personally find it hard to understand people who don't dig the Ant arc lol.

I can, but my argument would be pretty shit as I last watched it a year ago. Rundown of things that I remember (inaccurately maybe?)
First off everything prior to Meruem being born was fine, after that's when I start getting my gripes.

Reason of hate:

The Meruem and the Komugi scenes are by far the worst anime scenes I've ever watched. Both characters are uninteresting. Komugi is a pile of sadness that they really push hard on you, to the point of caricature. Meruem is a standard "Oh I learned to love" character which is pretty damn cliche. That cliche alone isn't bad, but they didn't really do a good job in selling it imo. This all wouldn't be a big deal if there wasn't so much screen time devoted to them together or if the viewers could follow along with their games. You get to watch them play a fictional game that they never tell you the rules, so you never get any frame of reference as to why she so great at the game. Establishing a game with a set of rules the viewer could follow along and feel more invested in the characters would of been great. Instead you watch the same scene over and over, Meruem loses, monologues about how he could lose to a human while Komugi blows snot everywhere trying to remind you how pitiful she is.

The heavy handness of the whole military regime, atom bomb, and emotional pandering. No subtlety at all. I mean the best fight in the arc ends with "nuclear bombs are bad" Really?

The royal ants were horrible. Menthuthuyoupi was boring, Shaiapouf was anime cliche humor 101, and Neferpitou the only good one was pitifully underused. She was puffed up to be a badass but she's reduced to playing doctor and being the punching bag to one of the worst anime powerups I've ever seen.

The final "fight" between Gon and her was an extreme let down. Besides it being one sided (and one sided fights are never fun), but the actual power-up felt extremely lazy, uninteresting, and honestly looked incredibly stupid.

Reason to like:
-Komugi dies in the end.
-Seeing Netero and the others use their nen for the first time fun.
-Introducing Kite then killing him off in brutal fashion was a great way to establish the enemy.

Overall I think there was just a lot more thought put into Greed arc and it's characters. The island's rules were very flesh out, and the author followed them all the way to the end which is no easy task. The villian was well suited for the arc, he wasn't badass but still was a very real threat to the protagonists. The end battle was also my favorite in the series. It wasn't one sided, showed how much Gon could be a badass without ridiculous powerups and the villian was ultimately defeated by the group's ingenuity in following GI's unique ruleset.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I think that arc WAS better but I've never understood the hate for GI.

This read did remind me that I've never watched the dub, so I'm going to do that when I get home later. I just lived with the original audio of both series for so long, I hadn't watched the dub. Worried though since I'm going to be picky about voices in this show.

I'll tell you why I hate Greed Island:

The bomber sucks and is the most forgettable character in the show. I don't even remember his name.

There just isn't much going on in the arc aside from the razor showdown and the bisky training

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Can we just agree to disagree on the Chimera Arc already. I feel this is one of those arguments that goes nowhere.

It's the best arc

vypek

I love Greed Island arc. I don't hate Chimera Ant arc but there were a few things that bothered me about it like the many chapters of awful art, some deaths and the fact that it felt like it took an excessive amount of chapters for what actually took place. Not awful but not my favorite. Of course, this was from the manga and I'm slowly watching the anime on Toonami so maybe I will like it more in that form.

The excessive narration during the arc actually didn't really bug me since it kind of came off like a Case Report taking place after the mission had already been completed.

Given how anarchronic the arc ended up getting come time for the palace invasion, I think it worked in it's favor.

When do I get to see the really OP Nen fights? It's like they were teased when Killua's dad and granddad fought Chrollo and Kurapika's excellent fight with Uvo, but it's usually just these quick fights right now.

When do I get to see the really OP Nen fights? It's like they were teased when Killua's dad and granddad fought Chrollo and Kurapika's excellent fight with Uvo, but it's usually just these quick fights right now.

The closest you're going to get is during the Chimera Ant arc, which has a straight up brute force throwdown.

Daingurse

I can, but my argument would be pretty shit as I last watched it a year ago. Rundown of things that I remember (inaccurately maybe?)
First off everything prior to Meruem being born was fine, after that's when I start getting my gripes.

Reason of hate:

The Meruem and the Komugi scenes are by far the worst anime scenes I've ever watched. Both characters are uninteresting. Komugi is a pile of sadness that they really push hard on you, to the point of caricature. Meruem is a standard "Oh I learned to love" character which is pretty damn cliche. That cliche alone isn't bad, but they didn't really do a good job in selling it imo. This all wouldn't be a big deal if there wasn't so much screen time devoted to them together or if the viewers could follow along with their games. You get to watch them play a fictional game that they never tell you the rules, so you never get any frame of reference as to why she so great at the game. Establishing a game with a set of rules the viewer could follow along and feel more invested in the characters would of been great. Instead you watch the same scene over and over, Meruem loses, monologues about how he could lose to a human while Komugi blows snot everywhere trying to remind you how pitiful she is.

The Mereum and Komugi scenes gave the Ant arc a lot of depth for me, and really played into The King's character. Because of their interaction Mereum was constantly being tugged between his ant and human halves. It was very interesting to observe. The game served it's narrative purpose for me as well. I never even cared that I didn't understand the whole rule-set, it didn't matter to me. The character development that was fleshed out while they played the game.

The heavy handness of the whole military regime, atom bomb, and emotional pandering. No subtlety at all. I mean the best fight in the arc ends with "nuclear bombs are bad" Really?

Didn't feel heavy-handed to me at all. And the message was not "nuclear bombs are bad". The message conveyed was mankind's overall capacity for cruelty and violence, and the fact that we as a species reign supreme as far "the worst". I just don't really agree with you here, II loved how all this stuff was handled.

The royal ants were horrible. Menthuthuyoupi was boring, Shaiapouf was anime cliche humor 101, and Neferpitou the only good one was pitifully underused. She was puffed up to be a badass but she's reduced to playing doctor and being the punching bag to one of the worst anime powerups I've ever seen.

The Royal Guards were all great characters for me. I really enjoyed each one for different reasons. Youpi's rapid evolution as a person was fascinating to me. Shiapouf's insane devotion to the King, and emotional instability was surprisingly relateable to me. And Neferpitou getting curb stomped is one of my favorite things ever, so we're really not going to agree there. That was pure distilled catharsis. And that transformation is one of the BEST I've ever seen in a manga/anime. It was setup throughout the entire series quite well, and made sense within the rules of Nen.

The final "fight" between Gon and her was an extreme let down. Besides it being one sided (and one sided fights are never fun), but the actual power-up felt extremely lazy, uninteresting, and honestly looked incredibly stupid.

Agree with none of these points. It's the best moment in the whole series for me, the power-up was not lazy, and design wise I actually really like the transformation. I especially think it looks badass in the manga panels.

Looks like you have gone over your points before, as these did seem to jog my memory. I do respect you listing out all your points, but honestly don't really agree with any of your negatives. Hell, some of your negatives are reasons why I love the arc in-fact lol.

This really is some "hate it or love it" shit lol. This arc is so damn polarizing, that I think that's really all that can be said. I really am having trouble thinking of another shonen arc where opinions are so strongly divided.

HStallion

The CA is when we see what Nen can really do. There are like a dozen Nen battles with a couple that are down right insane.

ZERO HAND!

Bisky likes what she saw of Hisoka. Yo Hisoka! Stop looking at Killua and Gon's asses, fucking BAKA HENTAI!!! "Look kids I can hop in the air!" Gon and Killua: "We've never seen this shit before, but let's copy it and out do him." Legit fucking lol.
Ging Freecs: "Hey Razor if you see my son here feel free to beat the shit out of him."
Tsegerra just had his spine shattered by a fucking Nen infused dodgeball.
Gon is going super saiyan, he's now officially in the wrong Shounen series.

Fandangox

The most OP fights are in the chimera ant arc, and a fight that is currently manga-only is just bonkers.

HStallion

Do Gon, Killua and "I'm staring at your asses and you fucking know it" Hisoka team up for this?

I believe everyone but Hisoka is involved but I loved the strategy involved between the groups as they are running and chasing each other.

I believe everyone but Hisoka is involved but I loved the strategy involved between the groups as they are running and chasing each other.
Is Bisky at least doing shit? Don't get me wrong I love Killua and Gon, but this show at least does a really good job with the side characters.

Fandangox

Is Bisky at least doing shit?

A-the-cat-behind-the-curtain-soon-meme.jpg

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I watched the dub on toonami up to episode 16. Then I binged the entire series in a week

Moaradin

Weekly episode for Chimera ant arc is going to be agonizing for the Toonami folks.

I watched the whole thing weekly as it was airing and I loved every second of it.

Toonami folks are used to much shittier pacing with Naruto and One Piece so I don't see the CA causing much problems. We're still years away from that though.

Top Bottom