• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

Looks like the Queen is already getting a lot more than she bargained for when she started combining Chimera Ants with people. Have fun naming all these god damn things. It probably only gets worse from here on out.

casiopao

I had a girlfriend once...I miss...certain...um...things, but yeah I can see how that would take up some time. It depends on my time and how much I enjoy a show. I watch stuff fast, but I guess not as fast as you do. Having a job doesn't help though. Can't exactly watch anime at work with an office full of people.

I'm fine, I've been watching anime a lot longer than you think I have been. I like the depth and world building a lot with this. 80 eps in and they ain't even done building up this world. It's like the world in and of itself is it's own fully developed character.

Hehe lol. I am boss in my own company so sometimes when i had no job to do, i end up watching a few episode in my room lol.

But yeah, GF, Pet, Job and family is eating tons of my previous free time lol. I end up backlogging tons of game now.T_T Hell, my novel time is more or less dead now.T_T

Hehe lol. I am boss in my own company so sometimes when i had no job to do, i end up watching a few episode in my room lol.

But yeah, GF, Pet, Job and family is eating tons of my previous free time lol. I end up backlogging tons of game now.T_T Hell, my novel time is more or less dead now.T_T
Yeah between work and trying to get more work as a freelance photographer on top of dealing with life shit, which is honestly just straight up depressing I have very little free time these days.

casiopao

Yeah between work and trying to get more work as a freelance photographer on top of dealing with life shit, which is honestly just straight up depressing I have very little free time these days.

Guess, thats the reality of life.T_T I would want to rake as much money as possible when i am young here lol. And then, i can enjoy my retirement while playing games lol.^^

Guess, thats the reality of life.T_T I would want to rake as much money as possible when i am young here lol. And then, i can enjoy my retirement while playing games lol.^^
I would like that...don't see it happening though. You know, with the diversity of the Chimera Ant designs I can see why Togashi phoned it in when it came to drawing them weekly.

casiopao

I would like that...don't see it happening though. You know, with the diversity of the Chimera Ant designs I can see why Togashi phoned it in when it came to drawing them weekly.

T_T

Nah. Togashi bad art is more or less all by himself lol. In his YuYuHakusho venture, there are also numerous time the art goes batshit doodle lol.

And if i am not mistaken, in HxH manga, sometimes u will see teh characters looks more bishi than ever and that is because his wife help him lol.

T_T

Nah. Togashi bad art is more or less all by himself lol. In his YuYuHakusho venture, there are also numerous time the art goes batshit doodle lol.

And if i am not mistaken, in HxH manga, sometimes u will see teh characters looks more bishi than ever and that is because his wife help him lol.
I need to see Kurapika designed by his wife. Dafuq at that purple Koala bear looking thing and why the fuck is he wearing a fucking suit? You hit him with a tree *Yare Yare Daze* This motherfucker just killed this other motherfucker with some fucking water. "Try harder in your next life." Why is this winged humanoid rabbit thing wearing a g-string? Togashi please.

I finished this a couple months ago. Had never heard of it before starting.

I absolutely adored this show, right through Greed Island. I love the power system, I loved the characters and the relationships. I was really excited about Kurapika's revenge story and Gon vs Hisoka that was building up and the whole thing with Killua's family. I was really truly excited.

And then fucking Chimera Ants. the slowest, worst paced, least interesting, fillery piece of crap that I've ever seen ever. 70 episodes of shitty animal things, 70 episodes of build up to nothing. 70 episodes of constant unending unrelenting exposition, 70 episodes of Tell, Don't Show.

The only, and I mean only redeeming factor was Meruem as a villain but that is NOT enough. Not for 70 episodes. And then a throwaway 10 episodes at the end for Killua's family and Gon/Ging. That's it.

I understand that the manga kept going, but for no resolution for Hisoka or Kurapika or for like 90% of the other storyline threads that they hinted at and teased at constantly and I could not have been less satisfied. Like.... honestly Chimera Ants was torture. If it hadn't built up so much good will from the first few arcs that had such excellent pacing and storytelling I would have stopped, but I kept giving it the benefit of the doubt. For there to be an arc that is longer than all the previous arcs put together? And for it to be that inconsequential and poorly told? I don't even know what to say. I was at a complete loss for words.

Is there any chance of this story being finished in the anime later or are we stuck with the storytelling equivalent of blue balls for all eternity?

casiopao

I need to see Kurapika designed by his wife. Dafuq at that purple Koala bear looking thing and why the fuck is he wearing a fucking suit? You hit him with a tree *Yare Yare Daze* This motherfucker just killed this other motherfucker with some fucking water. "Try harder in your next life." Why is this winged humanoid rabbit thing wearing a g-string? Togashi please.

Togashi: Yes fall into the abyss more, MOARRR!!!

Man, i would love to see u watch Toriko anime and then continue the manga lol. It is also really good series. The food and description of the food will make u keep drooling.^_^

zero_suit

Do not question his greatness.

Man, i would love to see u watch Toriko anime and then continue the manga lol. It is also really good series. The food and description of the food will make u keep drooling.^_^
Is that where the food is supposed to be so good it's blowing off peoples clothes?
Do not question his greatness.
He seems to be like Michael Madsen's character from Reservoir Dogs.

casiopao

I'm on what appears to be the last ep ... this can't be the end! :O

Fucking loved this wild ride.

U can now join us on Hiatus x Hiatus on the manga train lol.^_^

Is that where the food is supposed to be so good it's blowing off peoples clothes?

He seems to be like Michael Madsen's character from Reservoir Dogs.

Lol. U are talking about Shokugeki no Shoma. Toriko is battle manga+food. Imagine a world where food and Gourmet is everything. Thats the show.^_^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eAjmGhgMJw

Try checking that video. It shows how insane Toriko world can be.^_^

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I finished this a couple months ago. Had never heard of it before starting.

I absolutely adored this show, right through Greed Island. I love the power system, I loved the characters and the relationships. I was really excited about Kurapika's revenge story and Gon vs Hisoka that was building up and the whole thing with Killua's family. I was really truly excited.

And then fucking Chimera Ants. the slowest, worst paced, least interesting, fillery piece of crap that I've ever seen ever. 70 episodes of shitty animal things, 70 episodes of build up to nothing. 70 episodes of constant unending unrelenting exposition, 70 episodes of Tell, Don't Show.

The only, and I mean only redeeming factor was Meruem as a villain but that is NOT enough. Not for 70 episodes. And then a throwaway 10 episodes at the end for Killua's family and Gon/Ging. That's it.

I understand that the manga kept going, but for no resolution for Hisoka or Kurapika or for like 90% of the other storyline threads that they hinted at and teased at constantly and I could not have been less satisfied. Like.... honestly Chimera Ants was torture. If it hadn't built up so much good will from the first few arcs that had such excellent pacing and storytelling I would have stopped, but I kept giving it the benefit of the doubt. For there to be an arc that is longer than all the previous arcs put together? And for it to be that inconsequential and poorly told? I don't even know what to say. I was at a complete loss for words.

Is there any chance of this story being finished in the anime later or are we stuck with the storytelling equivalent of blue balls for all eternity?

I'll be honest, I hated the Chimera Ant arc at first too. I hated everything about the ants and what they were doing. But once
Komugi came into the picture and the hunters were staging their plans to take out the king... well it got really damn good from there. I absolutely loved the huge shift in narrative exposition and of course the ultimate conclusion that shattered every shounen trope out there. Well played, Togashi.

I'll be honest, I hated the Chimera Ant arc at first too. I hated everything about the ants and what they were doing. But once
Komugi came into the picture and the hunters were staging their plans to take out the king... well it got really damn good from there. I absolutely loved the huge shift in narrative exposition and of course the ultimate conclusion that shattered every shounen trope out there. Well played, Togashi.

But... subverting a trope for the sake of subverting a trope doesn't automatically make it good storytelling..
It has to be done well and according to every rule of media I've ever seen talked about on the internet Chimera Ants fails at each step

If this whole arc had taken out like... 50% of the narration and lingering shots on nothing it could've been fine. But they don't let you interpret any scene, they painstakingly tell you every facet of every feeling of every character. It's like having a book read to you one page at a time and each page takes 20 minutes. With long breaks between every sentence.

balgajo

Somehow I liked Chimera Ants from the start.... Before it I was liking HxH but was watching it manly because Hisoka is awesome. When they are first teleported to NGL the atmosphere suddenly change and things go crazy...

But... subverting a trope for the sake of subverting a trope doesn't automatically make it good storytelling..
It has to be done well and according to every rule of media I've ever seen talked about on the internet Chimera Ants fails at each step

If this whole arc had taken out like... 50% of the narration and lingering shots on nothing it could've been fine. But they don't let you interpret any scene, they painstakingly tell you every facet of every feeling of every character. It's like having a book read to you one page at a time and each page takes 20 minutes. With long breaks between every sentence.

Narration worked very well to me. Easily one of the best things I saw on this decade. This shit really made my heart go crazy. And also that episode where the teleport guy tries to sneak in... Man, what a blast...

I still cannot wrap my head around the idea of people not liking the Chimera ant arc, to me its up there with Kyoto Arc (Rurouni Kenshin) Dark Tournament (Yu yu Hahukso) Soul Society (Bleach) Water 7, Ennies Lobby (One Piece) Chuunin Exam (Naruto) as the GOAT shounen anime arcs

casiopao

I still cannot wrap my head around the idea of people not liking the Chimera ant arc, to me its up there with Kyoto Arc (Rurouni Kenshin) Dark Tournament (Yu yu Hahukso) Soul Society (Bleach) Water 7, Ennies Lobby (One Piece) Chuunin Exam (Naruto) as the GOAT shounen anime arcs

Ummmm..... People had different taste?^_^

Chimera Ant arc is longer than the others in HxH but the payoff at the end was so damn good.

I definitely have my complaints about the CA arc, but the ending of it is great. Plus when I heard Kite's voice actor, I immediately went "CHAR!" :D

Hah, there it is. The narration was too on the nose and the situations could have been easily conveyed through action versus explanation, just like the prior arcs.

I definitely have my complaints about the CA arc, but the ending of it is great. Plus when I heard Kite's voice actor, I immediately went "CHAR!" :D

Hah, there it is. The narration was too on the nose and the situations could have been easily conveyed through action versus explanation, just like the prior arcs.
I fucking knew I heard him some where!! Dude!!!!

How is the English adaptation?

I read the manga and rewatched the anime a few months back. I now feel like watching the English version.

How is Hisoka?

Sadly that video is blocked for me. I saw another one where he fights Togari.

Does he not sound a bit too old?

Will it be coming out on blu-ray soon?

I would love to buy them with dual audio

vypek

It's cool to see someone reacting to the stuff as they go through it. I'm on the first run of the anime but I am going through it weekly and this thread always makes me want to speed up and do some marathons

Sadly that video is blocked for me. I saw another one where he fights Togari.

Does he not sound a bit too old?

Will it be coming out on blu-ray soon?

I would love to buy them with dual audio
Hisoka doesn't seem too young though. You can't be that young and be that ripped, besides Hisoka seems well travelled. Even if he's 18 minimum the guy has a ton of experience.

But none of the prior arcs were like this. The first 60 episodes were incredibly well paced, it was one of my favourite things about it. No single event took too long, they allowed me to interpret scenes on my own. Sure there was narration but it was nowhere near to the same extent as in Chimera Ants.

Hisoka doesn't seem too young though. You can't be that young and be that ripped, besides Hisoka seems well travelled. Even if he's 18 minimum the guy has a ton of experience.

I think he is around that age, but the voice sounded a lot older. As long as his interactions with Gon sound good, then I will be happy.

I think he is around that age, but the voice sounded a lot older. As long as his interactions with Gon sound good, then I will be happy.
There's probably a specific moment I'm going to want to see dubbed, but dubbed Hisoka is perfectly fine. I still need to see the original OVA cause I heard Hisoka is really good in that one.

There's probably a specific moment I'm going to want to see dubbed, but dubbed Hisoka is perfectly fine. I still need to see the original OVA cause I heard Hisoka is really good in that one.

cool.

Just saw that the BR will come out later this year.

I think I will hold of watching the dub until then.

Daingurse

The Toriko anime is pretty weak. I wish they would reboot it, because the Toriko manga is awesome and deserved better. I'd just stick to the manga.

But none of the prior arcs were like this. The first 60 episodes were incredibly well paced, it was one of my favourite things about it. No single event took too long, they allowed me to interpret scenes on my own. Sure there was narration but it was nowhere near to the same extent as in Chimera Ants.

I really love the narration style of the Chimera Ant arc. It made feel much more invested in each character, bcause Togashi was really getting in everyone's heads. It took me a bit of time to get acclimated to the Chimera Ant arc, both the pacing and narration style really took some getting used to. But now it's easily my favorite arc in this series, and I hold it high above all other battle shonen arcs.

Uh... I quoted you earlier because I agree with you regarding the CA arc, lol. I was saying it should have been like the other arcs. XD

Daingurse

Sasuke was ass-pull personified. That's one of the main reasons I quit Naruto. That and the absurd power creep.

I've been watching Shippuden again with my little brother recently, and it's been very entertaining overall lol. But man, the power creep going on is pretty crazy. It's also the worst kinda power creep too, because I can't believe the level of power Sasuke and Naruto are wielding right now, even though it's fun to see how much the powers have escalated. I also can't believe the Naruto/Sasuke relationship at all lol.

Dark_castle

When I first read the CA arc in the manga, I too disliked the beginning, and thought HxH is going downhill after the relatively weaker Greed Island arc. It's made worse with the horrific art in the beginning of the arc, making it hard to stay interested for long. But I didn't want to give up on the manga, and by the time Mereum comes into picture, I'm getting more and more intrigued by the plot, and before I know it, it's my favorite arc of the series, tied with Yorkshin City arc. I especially love how this seemingly brutal, heavy fighting arc is secretly a love story in disguise. Chimera Ant arc definitely rewards readers/watchers who stayed through a lot of slower pace trudge until the end with very satisfying climax.

I also can't believe the Naruto/Sasuke relationship at all lol.
Haha, it's so bad in comparison to Gon and Killua. Truest bros with a very believable friendship. Togashi has been on point with how character relationships have grown with a lot of the players in the show (and props to Madhouse for conveying it in animated form).

Ohhh, I thought you were saying it had the same problem as the other arcs. My bad. And yay for agreement!

df4dee8105c43c1cd2afdc85f297e0dfca1f5ab9_hq.gif

Daingurse

Haha, it's so bad in comparison to Gon and Killua. Truest bros with a very believable friendship. Togashi has been on point with how character relationships have grown with a lot of the players in the show (and props to Madhouse for conveying it in animated form).

Yeah, I can't observe them interacting without thinking of Gon and Killua, and that is a very harsh contrast indeed hahaha. Seeing them fight together in-perfect sync was too much, because I can't see any true friendship or bond between them. Sasuke still doesn't like you Naruto lol! Oh well, it's fun watching it with my brother, and it does feel good to finally finish what I started 12 years ago. God did I love Naruto . . .

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
The attitudes towards killing in HxH are all over the place though. Sometimes it's the worst thing imaginable, other times its just, like, a rule violation in a game (and nothing more). Or a moral failing of the killer that the killer needs rescuing from.

It's weird.

casiopao

The Toriko anime is pretty weak. I wish they would reboot it, because the Toriko manga is awesome and deserved better. I'd just stick to the manga.

I really love the narration style of the Chimera Ant arc. It made feel much more invested in each character, bcause Togashi was really getting in everyone's heads. It took me a bit of time to get acclimated to the Chimera Ant arc, both the pacing and narration style really took some getting used to. But now it's easily my favorite arc in this series, and I hold it high above all other battle shonen arcs.

Ohh i agree that the anime lacks a lot but the introduction each episode is sooo good.^_^ It really gives the wonder of Gourmet World. And of course, the food looks even better in color.^_^

Dark_castle

I've been watching Shippuden again with my little brother recently, and it's been very entertaining overall lol. But man, the power creep going on is pretty crazy. It's also the worst kinda power creep too, because I can't believe the level of power Sasuke and Naruto are wielding right now, even though it's fun to see how much the powers have escalated. I also can't believe the Naruto/Sasuke relationship at all lol.

Naruto and Sasuke's friendship really made little sense. I find it hard to understand why Naruto would somehow get so attached to Sasuke, like they're complete opposite characters who share little in common. That is not to say Gon and Killua are very identical people, far from it, but they really do feel like they complement one another, it's as if they are a single person being split into two.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

I actually loved this part of it. Maybe I'm in the minority but I really liked getting to know the finer details.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

I couldn't unhear Char the whole time :(

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The attitudes towards killing in HxH are all over the place though. Sometimes it's the worst thing imaginable, other times its just, like, a rule violation in a game (and nothing more). Or a moral failing of the killer that the killer needs rescuing from.

It's weird.

The Hunter association doesn't really attract normal people. In fact it tries its hardest to dissuade and even kill off weaklings. They let a guy like Tonpa come every year may to fuck over rookies for example. Though seeing some of the threats they face its not surprising that they don't and can't just hair anyone. That and Nen is apparently totally unknown to the general public despite things like the Heavens Tower showing off Nen fights.

Top Bottom