• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

Acerac

Banned
I think it'd be for both, since there's no dub thread. Don't worry about spoilers - I've already seen the entire thing. There's really no other place to talk about the dub outside of the Toonami thread when it's airing except here.

Fair enough, I'd have thought somebody would make one for the dub given how it is the show that is actively airing and it'd be impossible to discuss it here without getting spoiled. I get that some people don't care, but I know it'd sure scare me off from the thread if I wasn't up to date.

Making a new thread seems like a bunch of effort though and I know I'm sure as hell not gonna do it. At a certain point it requires somebody to bother and if nobody cares enough to it is what it is.
Dub doesn't really have a dedicated thread. I see people talk about it here and in the Toonami thread.

I pity those people.
If people up in here are only watching the dub, be very careful, because there are spoilers all over this place.

People are openly posting gifs from the end of the series, there is no being careful while being in this thread.

Lulubop

Well you've now seen my favorite part of the series :) I really love that moment, and that transformation especially. So much so, that I had to buy this thing lol:

I have no idea how many times I've seen episode 131 at this point, but I still can't watch it without tearing up at the very least. Without fail, during that moment when Gon is talking to Killua in the blink of an eye, and he says, "I finally get to feel the same as Kite back then. . . I feel like I've been redeemed some . . .". I fucking lose it every time lol. The music, the animation, it's very beautiful scene. But like I said, l can't not tear up watching it!

403ee485c07c16223ae536986294e45f5f765824_hq.gif

It really just reinforced Gon's mindset, showing all the guilt and pain he's put on himself. This fucking kid had such a burden placed on his mind, that he was completely consumed with revenge and felt 100% responsible for Kite's death due to his own lack of strength. A 12 year old kid shouldn't have to deal with what Gon was put through :(

But man, Gon really shows how terrifying a child can be. Good thing Nen ain't a thing, because I don't need kids running around with this kind of power. I can't blame you for liking Killua more at this point, but all the flaws in Gon's personality are what made me enjoy his character and find him even more interesting. The seeds were planted for this kind of behavior from Gon long ago. Gon's sense of morality has always been a bit skewed (didn't give a fuck that Killua was an assassin lol). And Gon has always been extremely reckless, and prideful to an insane point (Hanzo, Bomber encounter). Hell, many common shonen character traits present in Gon set him up for immense pain during the Chimera Ant arc. That arc made him endure so much. It really should have been obvious from the beginning where things were going to go with Gon. And yet, I NEVER could have predicted such a character shift for Gon. The little dude was threatening innocent lives and taking hostages for Christ's sake! But even Gon's vengeance at the end of the day had a child-like naivety to it . . . I found the whole thing to be simply fascinating, and that moment of the Chimera Ant Arc cemented Gon as one of my favorite anime protagonists.

Very well put

So I just finished the York New Arc, a few questions:

1) The Phantom Troupe leader can't use Nen anymore, what happened? when did Kurapika put a restriction on him? Is that even possible? what restriction was it? a Nen user can take other Nen user capabilities away?

2) Was it hinted that other type of Nen users can remove whatever seal he has?

3) How many PT members ended up dead? The Prophecies said half of them would end up dead but I only saw Uvogin and the big nose woman die.

1) The Phantom Troupe leader can't use Nen anymore, what happened? when did Kurapika put a restriction on him? Is that even possible? what restriction was it? a Nen user can take other Nen user capabilities away?

3) How many PT members ended up dead? The Prophecies said half of them would end up dead but I only saw Uvogin and the big nose woman die.
I actually think the Phantom Troupe members end up changing their fates at around the point where they're being read to them or some point. I think Kurapika put the restriction on Chrollo during the cab ride, either that or the airship ride. The capabilities of Nen just keep getting more and more complicated as this whole thing goes on, you start seeing more destructive forms of Nen in the next two arcs.

1. Kurapika put the restriction on Chrollo when he used the Judgment Chain on Chrollo. If Chrollo uses nen, then Chrollo will die.

2. I don't remember if it is hinted at before, but the rest of the Troupe are going to go look for a nen exorcist.

3. Because they knew about the prophecy, they could change it. So only Uvo and Pakunoda died.

I actually think the Phantom Troupe members end up changing their fates at around the point where they're being read to them or some point. I think Kurapika put the restriction on Chrollo during the cab ride, either that or the airship ride. The capabilities of Nen just keep getting more and more complicated as this whole thing goes on, you start seeing more destructive forms of Nen in the next two arcs.

Yeah I am already confused with these restrictions and conditions, and the more conditions the more powerful due to how specific they get like Chrollo's technique had like 4 or 5 conditions? what were they? that battle was high level amazing but I feel I didn't appreciated as much since my understanding of what was going on was beginner level.

1. Kurapika put the restriction on Chrollo when he used the Judgment Chain on Chrollo. If Chrollo uses nen, then Chrollo will die.

2. I don't remember if it is hinted at before, but the rest of the Troupe are going to go look for a nen exorcist.

3. Because they knew about the prophecy, they could change it. So only Uvo and Pakunoda died.

That judgement chain technique did Kurapika make it PT only? in fact are all his techniques PT only? cause if that's the case he is useless against any non PT from now on.

Yeah I am already confused with these restrictions and conditions, and the more conditions the more powerful due to how specific they get like Chrollo's technique had like 4 or 5 conditions? what were they? that battle was high level amazing but I feel I didn't appreciated as much since my understanding of what was going on was beginner level.

That judgement chain technique did Kurapika make it PT only? in fact are all his techniques PT only? cause if that's the case he is useless against any non PT from now on.
Dude Nen only gets crazier from here on out, you still haven't even seen the true potential of Nen yet. It's like Jojo's Bizarre Adventure tier weirdness.

Ok guys question:
So when Netero hit Meruem with the loving embrace before the Zero Hand did that result in Meruem's current love and respect for humanity? Cause it seems like Meruem was reborn into a slightly different person after that.

Lulubop

Ok guys question:
So when Netero hit Meruem with the loving embrace before the Zero Hand did that result in Meruem's current love and respect for humanity? Cause it seems like Meruem was reborn into a slightly different person after that.

No, it was like a warm and nurturing grasp. Probably to feel comfortable and hesitant to think about trying to escape

It's really interesting how Meruem became more human as this arc went on and how Gon turned into a Frankenstein monster.

That's one of the reasons why I love this arc. One of Meruem's first act is killing a child, but by the end, you get him. But Gon goes in the opposite direction, becoming more of a monster.

At least one of Chrollo's conditions is that the person he "borrows" the ability from must stay alive. f that person dies, then he'll lose the ability*

The Judgment Chain is not just for the PT. It is for anyone, but he can only activate it when his eyes are scarlet.

Chain Jail is the only chain that is specifically for the PT.

Ok guys question:
Which episode are you on now? If you're on 136
it's partly because he's about to die.

I'm on 135 and Chimera Ant arc seems to be reaching it's natural conclusion. Is the
gungi match
what people bitch about? I think it's sweet. It's just two people doing what they love and live for.

I'm on 135 and Chimera Ant arc seems to be reaching it's natural conclusion. Is the
gungi match
what people bitch about? I think it's sweet. It's just two people doing what they love and live for.

I always get 135 and 136 mixed up.

No one bitches about their last gungi match. It's one of the most, if not the most, beautiful thing in the entire series.

And stick around after the credits

Then why do people hate this arc? This shit was awesome.

The narrator/pacing, mostly.

I will admit that I couldn't stop the tears by the time the special ending credits started playing lol

It's a great moment that brings tears to almost everyone's eyes. Go on youtube and watch the reactions to that episode and you'll see people getting emotional.

komugi.... arigato

Pacing during the palace invasion and the narrator seems to be the biggest reasons
I'll admit the pacing is a bit...long winded, but for the most part this arc's fucking legit, it's a bit emotionally taxing, but I'd rather feel something during an arc than feel nothing at all. The way I came to love and care about these characters was astonishing. And the final scenes in 135...fuck me that shit's beautiful and emotionally heavy at the same time.
Komugi gave up her future to die with Meruem.
1240393095655.jpg

tumblr_md1e1mEE751r5xg8x.gif~c200

Jigolo

There's A LOT of symbolism you probably didn't catch in the chimera ant arc now that you've finished. One of the reasons it's one of the greatest ever.

Moaradin

A lot of people just don't like the style of storytelling that arc had. Common criticisms is the use of the narrator and the focus on secondary characters like Ikalgo, Meleoron, and Welfin. It's just a very divided and pretty much impossible to have a conversation about since I loved the very things those people hated about it :p

I just think this arc has the best payoff out of anything I've seen in anime. The last stretch is just amazing storytelling.

There's A LOT of symbolism you probably didn't catch in the chimera ant arc now that you've finished. One of the reasons it's one of the greatest ever.
Please show me. This is one of the best anime arcs I've seen. It's right up there with the Kyoto Arc and Dark Tournament and Chapter Black arcs. Togashi knocked it out of the park.
A lot of people just don't like the style of storytelling that arc had. Common criticisms is the use of the narrator and the focus on secondary characters like Ikalgo, Meleoron, and Welfin. It's just a very divided and pretty much impossible to have a conversation about since I loved the very things those people hated about it :p
How does one hate octobro and Meleoron? The whole arc is about connecting through getting in touch with your humanity, which is exactly what they did.

Oh yeah, how did you like
Meruem dying from radiation poisoning?
Well it was already proven that you can't fucking fight the dude to death so he had to go out some how. Getting somebody stronger than Netero to fight him would've been some Deus ex shit in my opinion. Honestly by the time that actually happens it's actually a sad moment. Do you feel sad when Freiza and Cell die? Fuck no. When
Meruem dies
he actually embraced humanity and stopped being a threat. You see him playing Gungi with Komugi and he's happy, he's drawn with the innocence of a child in my opinion and he
dies of radiation poisoning
. I cried.

I'll admit the pacing is a bit...long winded, but for the most part this arc's fucking legit, it's a bit emotionally taxing, but I'd rather feel something during an arc than feel nothing at all. The way I came to love and care about these characters was astonishing. And the final scenes in 135...

Have you watched 136 yet? I will give you 10 bucks
not really because I'm poor
if you can make it through that ep without crying. I fucking can't.

Lulubop

Well it was already proven that you can't fucking fight the dude to death so he had to go out some how. Getting somebody stronger than Netero to fight him would've been some Deus ex shit in my opinion. Honestly by the time that actually happens it's actually a sad moment. Do you feel sad when Freiza and Cell die? Fuck no. When
Meruem dies
he actually embraced humanity and stopped being a threat. You see him playing Gungi with Komugi and he's happy, he's drawn with the innocence of a child in my opinion and he
dies of radiation poisoning
. I cried.

Netero is probably the strongest human anyway, certainly the strongest hunter

Kieli

I believe Netero when he said he was no longer in his prime.

There are at least 5 Nen users who we can reasonably believe are in the same tier or possibly more powerful than him.

Ging. Maybe
Beyond Netero and maybe Botobai

Welkin & as his band of misfits are important because they'll set up the eventual Gyro arc (which I believe is where shit with Gon is going to go DOWN).

He is, but likely not more powerful than Issac.
Who's Issac?

There are at least 5 Nen users who we can reasonably believe are in the same tier or possibly more powerful than him.

Ging. Maybe
Beyond Netero and maybe Botobai

Welkin & as his band of misfits are important because they'll set up the eventual Gyro arc (which I believe is where shit with Gon is going to go DOWN).
Then why did Ging leave his son to be tormented during the Chimera Ant arc? I would assume the dude got a summons or some shit to show up and help deal with that shit.

Lulubop

Ging. Maybe Beyond Netero and maybe Botobai

Botobai is said to be the closet to issac. To me that tells me that he's more powerful than Ging but Issac still comes out on top.

I think Beyond is more powerful tho. He's not a Hunter, and I believe Biscuit said top 5 Hunters anyway. Beyond has been sitting there for 50 years, just waiting for another Crack at DC. He must have been preparing the whole time, and he's about the age Isaac was in his prime. Additionally he's more physically imposing than Issac ever was

Sorry, Issac is Netero's first name.

Kieli

Botobai is said to be the closet to issac. To me that tells me that he's more powerful than Ging but Issac still comes out on top.

I think Beyond is more powerful tho. He's not a Hunter, and I believe Biscuit said top 5 Hunters anyway. Beyond has been sitting there for 50 years, just waiting for another Crack at DC. He must have been preparing the whole time, and he's about the age Isaac was in his prime. Additionally he's more physically imposing than Issac ever was

I wouldn't be surprised, given that he has some serious genetics working for him + having
survived 2 trips to the Dark Continent

Daingurse

I think Ging is stronger than Netero. Netero isn't in his prime anymore. Which is to me is kinda insane once you see how strong he is. Back in the day he was probably the strongest human on the planet. I can only see someone like Maha, and perhaps one other dude contesting that.

Closer in terms of overall experience, but not necessarily in strength. I think that was fan scanlation thing that mislead people, myself included. I believe Botobai will be a force, Top 5 Nen User possibly, but I honestly think the hype behind Ging as a Nen master is really high. When we finally see him cut loose, it's going to be a thing to behold.

Kieli

Who's Issac?

Then why did Ging leave his son to be tormented during the Chimera Ant arc? I would assume the dude got a summons or some shit to show up and help deal with that shit.

Did you watch the Election arc yet? This question was kinda addressed in the first episode of that arc.

I think Ging is stronger than Netero. Netero isn't in his prime anymore. Which is to me is kinda insane once you see how strong he is. Back in the day he was probably the strongest human on the planet. I can only see someone like Maha, and perhaps one other dude contesting that.

I can't imagine what sort of hatsu you would even need to contend with Guanyin Boddhisattva. Not to mention at 130+ years old, his meditation aura is massive. Like, almost Royal Guard level.

Jigolo

I think using spoilers would still be considerate lol.

The ending of the CA arc was so touching. Beautiful.
oh yeah, true

Please show me. This is one of the best anime arcs I've seen. It's right up there with the Kyoto Arc and Dark Tournament and Chapter Black arcs. Togashi knocked it out of the park.

How does one hate octobro and Meleoron? The whole arc is about connecting through getting in touch with your humanity, which is exactly what they did.

Well, there's a lot of stuff out there, really. It's been so long so I don't know the original stuff I've read from before but let me try to find at least a few links but I'm sure there's more stuff out there then what I'm about to post This arc brought out a lot bloggers writing their analysis of the arc. Meruem/Komugi, Ant/Humanity stuff, Rose stuff Gon stuff, Gungi game, the king and his royal guard. Togashi is a master writer

Here's an old MAL forum post that I can't seem to find the source for. This is the where I originally saw the post here
qvATdUD.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBsdQd3Wlzk

http://wrongeverytime.com/2014/08/04/imperfect-beings-hunter-x-hunter-and-the-chimera-ant/

(^read the comments, some other good stuff in there as well)

There's more stuff out there if you Google "chimera ant analysis" or similar search terms. There's a lot of depth to the arc

Moaradin

Election Arc is also great and a bit underappreciated imo. Killua shines in that arc and there's another moment that got me to tear up.

Election Arc is also great and a bit underappreciated imo. Killua shines in that arc and there's another moment that got me to tear up.

I know I shouldn't, but I like to use a couple of gifs of
the Zoldyck servants being squished/killed
as a way of showing that this isn't a normal shonen to people on the fence about the series. They think it's light hearted and tame until I show those gifs.

Top Bottom