• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

Rootbeer

Banned
tumblr_mr16v9yMED1sbnl9po5_1280.png

I can't wait for the next episode!!

I'll pass the time by listening to OST 3 I guess :3

*edit* Ooooo, page 16 :D

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Just watched episode 1. Gotta say, really surprised. I had heard so many good things, but avoided this series because the character designs turned me off. Same thing happened with One Piece and I grew to love that, hoping the same things happens here. I'm going to try and watch a few episode a day so I can catch up a bit.

King looks like a hipster Cell.

really curious if Gon can/will fight the king in the end. it still feels like its way too soon for him to have the 'power level'. dude probably gets beat by the 3 pro hunters somehow.

Gon does seem to go nen berserk mode or something in the intro though.

vareon

So, Phantom Rouge...

It's probably the most terrible thing to have a Hunter x Hunter on its name. This is what you get if you take HxH's characters and put it in the most generic shonen story ever.

It doesn't even have Togashi's "finger pointing up" shot!

So, Phantom Rouge...

It's probably the most terrible thing to have a Hunter x Hunter on its name. This is what you get if you take HxH's characters and put it in the most generic shonen story ever.

It doesn't even have Togashi's "finger pointing up" shot!

At least we got some more "Killua always runs from fights he thinks he won't win". Which lines up pretty well with where the anime actually is. So....there's that.

Oh man I so fucking love the King I was planning until waiting until this arc is finished to start watching again but I can't contain myself..I may as well see how the new version of greed Island is, since the art in the OVA was kinda weird.

I just saw Phantom Rogue and it wasn't as bad as expected. It wasn't the "looks like a Kurapika movie but is about Gon and Killua" movie people said. I just don't like the typical shonen tropes used at the end.

kirblar

It's intentional, Togashi designed the King as a homage to Cell from DBZ
I feel like I miss out on a lot of injokes/references because of my lack of exposure to things like DBZ/YYH growing up. Although there's some things I definitely recognize, just through casual exposure.

Acerac

Banned
I've never seen somebody rock Kuwabara pants like Knuckle has. I was honestly taken aback when I saw it.

The hairstyle goes without saying, of course.

I've been watching this show and am loving it so far.
I did just watch Episode 38, the one where Gon listens to the message Ging left him.
I've gotta say... Ging is a dick.
Worst father.

No one mentioned it, but new movie incoming (Dec 2013, JPN).

Hunter x Hunter -The Last Mission-:

The strongest Hunters that once existed in the Hunters Association were split into “light” and “dark”, and each walked down their respective paths. The “dark” side begins moving in order to massacre all Hunters! What actions will Gon take when the many crimes of Netero and the Hunters Association are unveiled...!?

The production of the second movie was announced at the end of the Hunter × Hunter: Phantom Rouge film when it premiered in January. The movie took the #1 spot at the box office when it opened.

Rootbeer

Banned
Wait, the many crimes of Netero, what the fuck?

I'm guessing this movie wasn't actually written by Togashi.

Based on the description I can't think of anything they are pulling out of the manga for this story, it sounds all new. But Togashi must be involved creatively somehow right? I can't imagine him not having some input on Netero's background. Just because it's not an adaptation of manga chapters doesn't invalidate it for me.

I know I'm in the minority but I found a lot to like about Phantom Rouge. My main problems with it is that it covers a lot of character stuff that is done better in the Chimera ant arc, and the story is pretty standard compared to what we see elsewhere in HxH.

I really loved the new music and the more polished looking animation though. The new characters were also worthwhile and, while underserved, really dug the Kurapika stuff.

There was a lot of talk that Phantom Rouge was out of canon and almost like an alternate version of events that doesn't take place within the context of the televised anime... but I'm not sure I agree after seeing it. I didn't notice any big contradictions, it could easily have happened even if it does tread on a bit of covered ground (particularly with Killua). I get that it is based off of a scrapped story but they seem to have adapted it in such a way that it still fits.

Anyway, tangent off... I'll take as many HxH movies as they come up with as long as the quality stays as good or hopefully better than Phantom Rouge. It was a passable effort that gave me some more time with some of my favorite characters, for that I appreciate it :d

I could even envision a scenario where Togashi, wanting to retire from drawing the manga due to his age and history of illness, just writes plotlines (maybe accompanied by character sketches, designs, etc.) to adapt into films or more anime seasons... I don't want that, but I'd rather that happen than nothing.

P.S.:
tumblr_mr8443lFZF1ruqy3do1_500.jpg

Erigu

Based on the description I can't think of anything they are pulling out of the manga for this story, it sounds all new. But Togashi must be involved creatively somehow right?
I wouldn't assume he is.

There was a lot of talk that Phantom Rouge was out of canon and almost like an alternate version of events that doesn't take place within the context of the televised anime... but I'm not sure I agree after seeing it. I didn't notice any big contradictions, it could easily have happened
When though?

I get that it is based off of a scrapped story
Not really, no. The only part that was once planned but got scrapped is Kurapika's flashback.

Rootbeer

Banned
I wouldn't assume he is.

When though?

Not really, no. The only part that was once planned but got scrapped is Kurapika's flashback.
I think it is a safe assumption that he would be creatively involved. He's not going to write and draw this story for 15 years just to hand it off so freely. Not many artists would.

When: Well I can pinpoint a close enough point where it takes place, just not an exact period of time. Sometime before Greed Island... that's the best I can surmise :p I do think it's crappy how very little planning went into where it belongs in the timeline. But outside of exactly where it takes place it doesn't pose any story breaking contradictions. What if it happened while Gon and Killua were on their way to the auction? It didn't happen that way in the show but it could have.

Also I was looking at a list of all the episodes and their airdates... this show has been airing nonstop since episode 1 (with a week skipped here and there, but seldom). We're talking about a nearly continuous 92 episodes and counting. Wish more shows could pull this off. (I don't watch too many anime shows, so maybe this is really common)

Erigu

The 2 Togashi did of Kurapika's past, which are also the last 2 chapters he's done period.
Oh, right, I forgot that story got published in two parts...
I'm not sure why you'd reach that conclusion though. I don't know why that story didn't get published back when it was written, but it did get published eventually. I think it's pretty safe to consider it canonical.

I think it is a safe assumption that he would be creatively involved. He's not going to write and draw this story for 15 years just to hand it off so freely. Not many artists would.
Most movies based off Weekly Jump series aren't written by the original authors.

kirblar

When: Well I can pinpoint a close enough point where it takes place, just not an exact period of time. Sometime before Greed Island... that's the best I can surmise :p I do think it's crappy how very little planning went into where it belongs in the timeline. But outside of exactly where it takes place it doesn't pose any story breaking contradictions. What if it happened while Gon and Killua were on their way to the auction? It didn't happen that way in the show but it could have.

Also I was looking at a list of all the episodes and their airdates... this show has been airing nonstop since episode 1 (with a week skipped here and there, but seldom). We're talking about a nearly continuous 92 episodes and counting. Wish more shows could pull this off. (I don't watch too many anime shows, so maybe this is really common)
The show has a set amount of content to go through. After they finish it, they'll probably just do more seasons in the future if the Manga ever goes off hiatus.

Kinda goes to show the benefits/drawbacks of the "writer/artist" model - do any big mangas actually split the duties?

The show has a set amount of content to go through. After they finish it, they'll probably just do more seasons in the future if the Manga ever goes off hiatus.

Kinda goes to show the benefits/drawbacks of the "writer/artist" model - do any big mangas actually split the duties?

You mean where there's both an artist and a writer? Plenty. Off the top of my head, Death Note is a big one.

Kickz

I am on ep 76, they just cleared Greed Island. And I gotta say I feel the show peaked for me back in the original Hunter Exam. Any reason I should continue on to the Chimera/Ant arcs? And are we gonna see my fav characters blondie and Leorio soon?

kirblar

I am on ep 76, they just cleared Greed Island. And I gotta say I feel the show peaked for me back in the original Hunter Exam. Any reason I should continue on to the Chimera/Ant arcs? And are we gonna see my fav characters blondie and Leorio soon?
Think of each arc as it's own little "Hunter x Hunter does *insert genre here*" Greed Island was the YGO/Digimon/etc arc....and yeah, suffered from an enormous problem of "there are no real stakes here." The Chimera Ant arc immediately rectifies that problem.

Jigolo

Think of each arc as it's own little "Hunter x Hunter does *insert genre here*" Greed Island was the YGO/Digimon/etc arc....and yeah, suffered from an enormous problem of "there are no real stakes here." The Chimera Ant arc immediately rectifies that problem.

Yup. That's the exact problem I had with the arc. Worst arc of the series in my opinion.

Chimera Ant even though it has just started, has been amazing from the start. The new characters, bringing back of old ones, character development... just about everything is great in this arc. And after last weeks episode I can't wait to see how the rest of the arc will play out.

Kokonoe

Banned
What. The. Heck.

They build these children up, give the boy who has no father a chance to shine despite his poverty and living conditions, to only get brutally murdered and eaten with his sister. This is disgusting sadistic crap.

It's amazing how one episode or chapter can kill the entire thing for someone. I'm out.

What. The. Heck.

They build these children up, give the boy who has no father a chance to shine despite his poverty and living conditions, to only get brutally murdered and eaten with his sister. This is disgusting sadistic crap.

It's amazing how one episode or chapter can kill the entire thing for someone. I'm out.

Take a breather and come back later. You know you'll want to.

mhs004

What. The. Heck.

Its almost as satanist as Pokemon and rock music.

Soriku

What. The. Heck.

Looool.

Don't worry dude it's just an anime.

Kokonoe

Banned
Take a breather and come back later. You know you'll want to.

I'm more of sharing my distaste then throwing around anger. That literally dropped all of my interest in HxH, there was no moment before it that was ever like that, and I don't like depressing stuff like children beating brutally murdered and eaten popping up out of nowhere. If the rest of the show was like that, then yeah, I could see it being all right although I wouldn't watch it.

KLonso

I really hope there is some point later on in the story where Leorio shows up as a main character again. It saddens me that my favourite character was all but abandoned after the first arc.

As a side note, I feel like it's really disingenuous to be calling them Chimera Ants at all by this point.

Rootbeer

Banned
I really hope there is some point later on in the story where Leorio shows up as a main character again. It saddens me that my favourite character was all but abandoned after the first arc.

He is in the Phantom Rouge movie that just came out in Japan on Blu-Ray, you can get a Leorio fix that way if you like!

What. The. Heck.

I felt similar, it was really harrowing for me. It's too good to drop over something like that though. If anything it should color your opinions of the villains we are dealing with here. You can see what the artist was going for though. Nature doesn't think about life the way we do, hell WE don't even think about all life the same. The humans are food to them, nothing more. Humans eat baby animals in huge numbers.

ZoddGutts

What. The. Heck.

Stick with One Piece.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I can see how that might be a drastic change of what you usually expect from HxH, but it really sets the overall tone and threat you'll see in the chimera ant arc. Everyone is a victim, including children.

The anime version fleshed out those kids though something I don't think they did in the manga.

kirblar

I can see how that might be a drastic change of what you usually expect from HxH, but it really sets the overall tone and threat you'll see in the chimera ant arc. Everyone is a victim, including children.

The anime version fleshed out those kids though something I don't think they did in the manga.
10-12 pages is a lot different than 10-12 minutes on screen.

I'm more of sharing my distaste then throwing around anger. That literally dropped all of my interest in HxH, there was no moment before it that was ever like that, and I don't like depressing stuff like children beating brutally murdered and eaten popping up out of nowhere. If the rest of the show was like that, then yeah, I could see it being all right although I wouldn't watch it.

It bothers me as well, but more as a means to hate the villains of the arc, which is the mark of good villain writing. Hunter x Hunter is pretty good at truly making you wish the antagonists got the most painful deaths ever, which I think the recent special chapters actually did better than anything in the chimera ant arc. It's something Togashi is good at.

Top Bottom