• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

kirblar

It bothers me as well, but more as a means to hate the villains of the arc, which is the mark of good villain writing. Hunter x Hunter is pretty good at truly making you wish the antagonists got the most painful deaths ever, which I think the recent special chapters actually did better than anything in the chimera ant arc. It's something Togashi is good at.
I think that boils down to the "one is a victim, one million is a statistic" thing- apocalyptic threats aren't as interesting as personal ones are.

Acerac

Banned
As a counterpoint to the person who said this arc made him quit the show, I'd like to throw out that I've found this arc to be the most enthralling I've ever seen in any anime that I can remember. I've been literally moved to tears in half of these episodes and am practically giddy in anticipation of catching up to where I was in the manga so many years ago. I only remember one more plot point, after that it'll be purely new to me and I CAN'T WAIT.

I am currently at ep 86 and I will have to say this is already my favourite Shounen anime arc when I read the manga years ago I loved it but the anime just turns it up by a million the music the non shit art everything about this is pure perfection. My only regret is I decided to start it now because once I catch up the wait is gonna be too much for me :(

dan2026

Ah next episode is the one I've been waiting for.

Date time!

Going to be weird seeing it juxtaposed with The King tearing people new arseholes though.

Radec

What. The. Heck.

They build these children up, give the boy who has no father a chance to shine despite his poverty and living conditions, to only get brutally murdered and eaten with his sister. This is disgusting sadistic crap.

It's amazing how one episode or chapter can kill the entire thing for someone. I'm out.

lol, stick with kids stuff.

Moaradin

Love how this arc is handling the ants. It's so weird feeling sympathy for these creatures after all the murdering they've done :lol

A few of them anyways.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

Man...this show...this show just nails it every time. Don't be shocked if I'm caught up by next week. The characters have really grown on me. They sorta felt like typical shonen tropes at first, but I actually buy their friendship at this point. Considering everything they've gone through, it's believable.

Blades64

Banned
I'm really loving the Chimera Ants arc, but so far the York New City arc was the best for me.

In this current arc do we get to see Kurapika and Leorio anytime again?

Jigolo

Not mine:

tumblr_mrcxwa4Q9C1qgau84o1_500.gif

tumblr_mrcq5dFhmz1sqkqlko1_500.gif

tumblr_mrcq5dFhmz1sqkqlko2_500.gif

KLonso

I haven't read the manga so I have no idea, but so far it seems to me like Hunter x Hunter is following a pattern with its arcs, alternating between super-serious and more lighthearted arcs.

FleenerW

Anime-only viewer here, but I have a few spoiler questions for the manga readers about this arc:
Are there any fights similar to Kurapika vs. Uvogin? Full ones I mean. I know Hunter x Hunter isn't a traditional battle manga, but the fights that are finished off-screen or are built up and never happen can be disappointing. I know a little about Gon vs. a Royal Guard later on, but the battle seems underwhelming and anti-climactic with the Super Saiyan power-up. Similarly, do we really ever see much of Netero's moves? Some of the Zoldyck family appears later, right? Is Illumi around for this arc?

dan2026

Anime-only viewer here, but I have a few spoiler questions for the manga readers about this arc:
Are there any fights similar to Kurapika vs. Uvogin? Full ones I mean. I know Hunter x Hunter isn't a traditional battle manga, but the fights that are finished off-screen or are built up and never happen can be disappointing. I know a little about Gon vs. a Royal Guard later on, but the battle seems underwhelming and anti-climactic with the Super Saiyan power-up. Similarly, do we really ever see much of Netero's moves? Some of the Zoldyck family appears later, right? Is Illumi around for this arc?

Yes quite a few.
Some finish in unexpected ways though.

When is the English dub gonna get made?

Last I heard an American company had licensed the series.
So its only a matter of time.

Rootbeer

Banned
I love the Japanese voices so much... not sure I could handle any other dub :p I understand how anime fans have felt for decades now! This is the first anime series I've followed episode-to-episode and it really enhances your devotion to things like that.

But yeah if they localize it for the west, at least that opens the door for some more merchandise being readily available here :p That I'd be in favor of.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I like English dubs when they're done right. The thing I worry about dubbing HxH is casting a perfect voice for Gon and Killua since they're still kids and the main characters of the show. A voice where it wouldn't annoy you and still keep Gon's positive attitude. In the original 90's dub,tthey sounded like old ladies. And the dub was terrible too.

yami4ct

I like English dubs when they're done right. The thing I worry about dubbing HxH is casting a perfect voice for Gon and Killua since they're still kids and the main characters of the show. A voice where it wouldn't annoy you and still keep Gon's positive attitude. In the original 90's dub,tthey sounded like old ladies. And the dub was terrible too.

I think they'll be able to get a good voice for Gon pretty easily. He's a pretty common archetype and I think there are quite a few ways to play him that'd all work pretty well.

Killua and Hisoka are the two I'm most worried about. I can't even begin to think who'd be good casting for them.

Moaradin

Just depends on who is dubbing them really. If it's Funimation, I could easily see them doing a great job. If someone like Viz dubbed it, I wouldn't have much confidence.

Rootbeer

Banned
HxH 93

Loved this ep since it adapts one of the most wtf parts of the manga for me. They did leave out some lines I liked in the manga but it's fine. And in the VIZ manga Gon calls the women who visit the island "cougars" whereas here he calls them "fanatics", while neither seems to make a lot of sense to me, cougars sounds more suggestive and I'd have preferred that. :p

Next ep is gonna be pretty emotional!

Since I didn't have a laptop for like a month I kinda fell behind. Where is the anime currently at in the story and was the king born yet and if so when?

zero_suit

HxH 93

Loved this ep since it adapts one of the most wtf parts of the manga for me. They did leave out some lines I liked in the manga but it's fine. And in the VIZ manga Gon calls the women who visit the island "cougars" whereas here he calls them "fanatics", while neither seems to make a lot of sense to me, cougars sounds more suggestive and I'd have preferred that. :p

Next ep is gonna be pretty emotional!

Really? That's awesome lol.

So I have just started watching the Greed Island arc and have to say, not really enjoying the concept.
I had a massive post as to why I didn't like it, involving Ging the selfish father and if they wanted to discourage people killing each other for cards they could, I don't know, make it so that the people don't actually die in real life...

But then the troupe arrived and it got a lot more interesting. But how can everyone use magic? And all those NPCs!
I'm sure all these will be answered.

Rootbeer

Banned
So I have just started watching the Greed Island arc and have to say, not really enjoying the concept.
I had a massive post as to why I didn't like it, involving Ging the selfish father and if they wanted to discourage people killing each other for cards they could, I don't know, make it so that the people don't actually die in real life...

But then the troupe arrived and it got a lot more interesting. But how can everyone use magic? And all those NPCs!
I'm sure all these will be answered.
I'd recommend sticking to it... I'm not as hard on it as you but it may be my least favorite arc. Though I do like the training stuff in it and a few other bits (such as
the brief segments with the spiders and solo killua
)

For my part, I do really like the concept, it's just the new characters introduced as well as just the overall way the arc progressed didn't gel with me. biscuit is an exception. But this is coming from a former obsessed M:tG player

Top Bottom