• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

Wiseblade

I still enjoy it.

Perhaps not as much as I did, but its still worlds better than a lot of the crap that still lingers in Jump. (Naruto and Bleach I'm looking at you)

However my interest has been supplanted by a new(ish) series called Nanatsu no Taizai (Seven Deadly Sins)
It has that magic of early One Piece and I would recommend it to anyone.
Ugh, Seven Deadly Sins is overrated garbage. The honest truth is that One Piece is still the best of its kind, partially because the competition is all terrible.

Dresden

Seven Deadly Sins is okay, but it doesn't live up at all to Kongou Bancho, the author's previous series (and one of the manliest things ever).

This is from the first chapter:

SKDVZq5.jpg

And it only gets manlier from there.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Seven Deadly Sins is okay, but it doesn't live up at all to Kongou Bancho, the author's previous series (and one of the manliest things ever).

God, that series was so fucking manly

Wiseblade

Watch yourself there son.
That's dangerous talk.
It's the truth. The only things that come close to challenging OP are Magi (which has gone off the rails in the most recent arc) and HiatusxHiatus. Every other adventure shonen is mediocre or terrible.

Yonafunu

It's the truth. The only things that come close to challenging OP are Magi (which has gone off the rails in the most recent arc) and HiatusxHiatus. Every other adventure shonen is mediocre or terrible.

I wouldn't call it garbage, but it definitely doesn't come close. Nice art though.

Soriku

The car drives him?

Killua is such a boss, hope they explain
how that thing he pulled out actually worked, was it just implanted by his brother to keep Killua out of dangerous situations? Once he flipped the switch he easily killed the ant.

how that thing he pulled out actually worked, was it just implanted by his brother to keep Killua out of dangerous situations? Once he flipped the switch he easily killed the ant.

Well...
Ilumi's needles have always targeted the nerves or something somehow. We've seen it transform and instantly/cleanly kill people. Illumi even made himself look perfectly like Hisoka and it was enough to fool the Spiders.

Well...
Ilumi's needles have always targeted the nerves or something somehow. We've seen it transform and instantly/cleanly kill people. Illumi even made himself look perfectly like Hisoka and it was enough to fool the Spiders.

Good points.

I'm hoping they reveal
exactly what his intention was though, but at the moment it just seems like it was to keep Killua from fighting people he wasn't certain he could beat.

Jigolo

Good points.

I'm hoping they reveal
exactly what his intention was though, but at the moment it just seems like it was to keep Killua from fighting people he wasn't certain he could beat.

That's my bet. I don't think he wants his little brother to die.

remz

I would presume Illumi stuck it in a pressure point or something and implanted it with Nen or somesuch so he could manipulate Killua.

His intention I thought was just making Killua into a good assassin. The Zoldycks are progessional assassins, so it makes sense to have Killua run away from stronger opponent that could be handled by like Silva or something, maybe. As it's strictly work there's no point having him die to a stronger opponent for a job.

Regarding that scene this week, it was awesome, but I can't help but feel the music was a little inappropriate? When I read the manga I had a drastically different tone in mind.

It should also be remembered that Illumi has a really twisted kind of love for Killua so it make sense he would do something so fucked up in the name of protecting his little bro.

Tizoc

^Yeah Illumi always seemed like a crazy fucker to me for the longest time.

WHY IS THERE NO ANIME FOR KONGOU BANCHOU YET?! HAS JAPAN FORSAKEN BANCHOUS?
Seriously Kongou's the manlies and bro-est of all these Shonen heroes.

The car drives him?

No,
pudding does!

I still enjoy it.

Perhaps not as much as I did, but its still worlds better than a lot of the crap that still lingers in Jump. (Naruto and Bleach I'm looking at you)

However my interest has been supplanted by a new(ish) series called Nanatsu no Taizai (Seven Deadly Sins)
It has that magic of early One Piece and I would recommend it to anyone.

OP to me is about the Journey and adventures than the destination, those saying 'it doesn't go anywhere' just want to find out WTF One Piece is, which shouldn't be their aproach. If they're interested in the crazy adventures of this cooky crew then they'll enjoy it.

Thank you for reminding me that I'd been intending to read that and for some reason haven't done so yet.

It should also be remembered that Illumi has a really twisted kind of love for Killua so it make sense he would do something so fucked up in the name of protecting his little bro.

Yup, Illumi is a loving, fucked up, twisted, abusive brother, but those last 3 don't invalidate the loving part.

Well, it does have good action, but not the typical 1v1 shonen fights. The series is more about getting to know the world and all the people and creatures in it.

FMA:B is my most favorite but I still love HxH.

I'd say the action is used way better than like all the shonen I know in the greater context of the work, but that's like some weird vague comment and I'm not really sure how to elaborate on it. Like to go with the subversion thing I wouldn't go quite that far. I'd say it's a more extensive execution of how these tropes can be employed, like it seems to look at them in a way or to be very aware of what it is doing... it like preserves a kind of integrity or commonality found in a lot of shonen works while simultaneously making it into something that's both very different and complete in and of itself, which to me kind of suggests subversion as much as playing it straight, it's like striking a fine balance of those things among others, or something. I'm like not literate enough in this genre to have a very coherent analysis but that's the kind of 'vibe' I get.

FMA does a lot of things really well, in fact that's kind of the astounding thing about it. Hunter x Hunter does a lot of things right too, but it seems a little more purposeful in a way, though that may be too strong of a word. It's kind of like there's some interrelated premise or perspective on what it's doing, like there's maybe one big master lens you could kind of view it all through if you knew what that was in particular, and in that way it seems more 'focused' I think.

Well, it does have good action, but not the typical 1v1 shonen fights. The series is more about getting to know the world and all the people and creatures in it.

FMA:B is my most favorite but I still love HxH.
? Heavens arena, phantom troupe, greed island were all one on ones, even chimera ants, unless Im misunderstanding.

Cwarrior

This made me ask question my self "why am even reading Seven deadly Sins" I've been reading the wrong manga by this author this whole time.

kirblar

Idk. If HxH was a typical shonen, the Heavens Arc
would involve Gon and Killua being at the top. They left after they accomplished their own goals (punch Hisoka, learn Nen) then just went home
I loved how the hierarchy was set up, explained and teased, and then completely ignored by the protagonists.

You could rename the series Anti x Climax.

Jigolo

I loved how the hierarchy was set up, explained and teased, and then completely ignored by the protagonists.

You could rename the series Anti x Climax.

That's why Togashi has to continue HxH. He didn't even explore the 20 upper levels of heavens arena and that highest floor which probably belongs to the strongest nen user in all of HxH.

He could probably do 3-4 more arcs before finishing the manga.

bigkrev

That's why Togashi has to continue HxH. He didn't even explore the 20 upper levels of heavens arena and that highest floor which probably belongs to the strongest nen user in all of HxH.

He could probably do 3-4 more arcs before finishing the manga.

At this point, aren't they forbidden from ever returning to the Arena, due to not participating in any fights in the required time period?

Tizoc

Is the Phantom Rouge movie, which I assume is an adaptation of the Killua and Gon meeting the Ryodan for the first time, any good?

Tizoc

Aha well gonna avoid them then...but man I want a new episode already
bad enough I gotta wait for THAT episode XP

Rootbeer

Banned
Is the Phantom Rouge movie, which I assume is an adaptation of the Killua and Gon meeting the Ryodan for the first time, any good?

People have their problems with it. I enjoyed it. It also has some of the best music in this version of HxH.

Rootbeer

Banned
HxH 95

They did a fantastic job with this ep!

Dat next episode preview... I forgot this part was coming up! It's going to be awesome. Wonder if they can fit it all into one ep though?

HxH 95
So good. Loved the Morel and Knuckle fight against Cheetu. Hope that smug ant gets what's coming to him.
And the fact that the Attack on Titan thread has 5 times as more views as this one makes me sad.

HxH 95
So good. Loved the Morel and Knuckle fight against Cheetu. Hope that smug ant gets what's coming to him.
And the fact that the Attack on Titan thread has 5 times as more views as this one makes me sad.

Yeah this series is leagues better but ah well.

I love how Morel almost pissed himself when Gon went into scary mode.

CrazyDude

I am guessing at this rate that show will catch up to the manga at around 135 episodes. I wonder what will happen then? Not chapter has been released over a year. I wonder if they will stop it there? It's shame that Togashi can't pick up the slack already.

kirblar

I am guessing at this rate that show will catch up to the manga at around 135 episodes. I wonder what will happen then? Not chapter has been released over a year. I wonder if they will stop it there? It's shame that Togashi can't pick up the slack already.
There's an absolutely perfect stopping point that felt like it really was intended to be a possible last chapter of the series.

And then we got trolled with the first chapter of a new arc.

CrazyDude

There's an absolutely perfect stopping point that felt like it really was intended to be a possible last chapter of the series.

And then we got trolled with the first chapter of a new arc.

Yeah if they are going to stop, then that is the best place to stop.

Moaradin

This episode was perfect. The animation was so good here. Shit is getting so good.

Episode 96 preview:
Holy shit the Phantom Troupe yeeeees!

dan2026

Comparing One Piece to Hunter x Hunter is just embarrassing at this point.

In what way?

One Piece is still a very entertaining series, that the author actually cares about enough to continue.

Personally I would struggle to say which one was better.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
The animation in this episode was off the charts!

Wow!

Fantastic episode. LOVED it. Honestly, I wish the previous episode captured this exact tone because imo it was exactly like the manga, if not even better. Nice pick of music too that didn't feel out of place like Killua's big moment. Mad House doesn't disappoint.

Top Bottom