• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

mhs004

Is this series any good?

I was thinking about watching it but it looks a bit "kiddy?"
Since it has those two kids as the main characters.

I like fighting stuff like DBZ and Fullmetal Alchemist to put things into perspective.
That is what I thought when I first started but kept watching it because everyone told me how awesome it was. Then Hisoka was introduced and me seeing it as kiddy stopped. Shonen of forever.

Was the poster posted?
tumblr_mtljcn1WF81qbxqfpo1_1280.jpg

bigkrev

Moving from Sunday morning to Wednesday late night seems like a real negative for the show. Means that the kids audience is going to drop to zero. Which, based on the last few months, is probably a good thing.

Malajax

What does this mean for crunchyroll?

It means that it will broadcast on Wednesday mornings? Or whatever the time difference is. There really is no impact on Crunchyroll here.

Peeps on twitter believe that this is a sign for the end... Which is true. They don't have much more to adapt so long as there aren't anymore manga chapters, so it's likely to end this season or the next.

LogicStep

So what are the odds that the anime will end with this arc? Are the remaining arcs good/as epic? Because so far this show has being going up and up since the start for me. Maybe they'll animate what's left.

Raxus

So what are the odds that the anime will end with this arc? Are the remaining arcs good/as epic? Because so far this show has being going up and up since the start for me. Maybe they'll animate what's left.

The final arc is a miniarc and is a good place to 'end' the series for reasons I can't disclose. Odds are good they are going to animate it and maybe do an OVA for a special side chapter.

It depends on Togashi. After the Chimera Ant arc I believe there are two smaller arcs they can animate.

vareon

MCXC Pioneer said:
It depends on Togashi. After the Chimera Ant arc I believe there are two smaller arcs they can animate.

One, IIRC.

Please, no more. The first movie was one of the worst anime movies I've seen in a long time. It was like some strange parody of the series. GON IS IMPULSIVE! KILLUA IS HESITANT! LEORIO IS LEORIO! KURAPICA...REVENGE!

I am still baffled at their ability to make a story about the Phantom Troupe boring.

Will still watch it when possible, but with lowered expectations.

LogicStep

The arcs being smaller mean they aren't as epic? I see quite a few people saying this current arc is meh but I'm loving it. The enemies are super strong and so are the good guys.

New002

I started watching this recently on crunchyroll and just wrapped up episode 96 yesterday. Needless to say I am enjoying the show :)

Rootbeer

Banned
Gonna really miss having it to look forward to on Saturdays... Weds just isn't the same.

I hope this is not the last arc. Hope they adapt the next one as well, as it has a more suitable stopping point at its end for the show :( Still sad to even think about the possibility of it ending at all, but what can ya do.

upandaway

Gonna really miss having it to look forward to on Saturdays... Weds just isn't the same.

I hope this is not the last arc. Hope they adapt the next one as well, as it has a more suitable stopping point at its end for the show :( Still sad to even think about the possibility of it ending at all, but what can ya do.
Manga spoiler
This arc doesn't even really truly end until the arc after it ends. Ending the anime before then is leaving the ant arc unfinished.

Tizoc

I don't think that's how the ability works at all. Otherwise it would be too strong. What if Netero was a member of the Ryoda or The Ant King? Would the chain be faster and stronger than them just because they have a Spider Tattoo?
Kurapika said that Uvo was a test for his ability. He knew how strong is the chain and he guessed Uvo was the strongest member of the Ryodan in raw muscle strength. So, if the chain could restrain him, it would be able to restrain anyone because in Zetsu state nobody can do anything other than try to break the chain with their muscles alone.
Chain jail doesn't make the chain as strong as it needs to be to restrain any member of the Ryodan. It makes the chain really strong (but not indestructible) and it puts the person being restrained in a forced Zetsu state like Knuckle's APR but only if that person is a member of the Ryodan.

Ah my bad then, I don't remember much of how Kurapika's ability works ^^;

Einhander

The current arc in the manga is the Dark Continent Expedition arc, and there's only one chapter out, so it's really just the other arc that they can animate after Chimera Ant.

Busaiku

So the timeslot change will probably mean that it gets rushed, or it just ends abruptly.
It's definitely not lasting another year or so in late night.

Soriku

So the timeslot change will probably mean that it gets rushed, or it just ends abruptly.

Uhh I hope not. On the upside this should mean less censoring. But if the Chimera Ant arc doesn't get rushed I'm not sure if they'll be able to do the next arc as well...

Busaiku

The show doesn't really have anything going for it besides decent ratings, which won't be factor since it'll be a late night show.
Blu-Rays don't sell, merchandise doesn't move, the comic is in constant hiatus, so with the move; there's nothing really that'll keep it afloat.

Rootbeer

Banned
Just paid off my Kurapika Figma :3 Hopefully getting it next week.

Some retailers still have Gon and Killua if anyone else wants to snatch them before they are gone!

Einhander

Uhh I hope not. On the upside this should mean less censoring. But if the Chimera Ant arc doesn't get rushed I'm not sure if they'll be able to do the next arc as well...

There isn't very much left to cover after the Chimera Ant arc. The next arc is only one that you can create several episodes for, so I don't see why they couldn't finish all the available material from the manga. The question of them bringing back a new season when the current arc is complete is one to ponder on, but that'll take a long time given Togashi's frequent hiatuses.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I was rewatching the original series, and I had completely forgotten about that awesome ending it had, with the second opening song and video montage of the series, ending with Hisoka sending Kurapika a text saying the spiders are still alive. So good. <3 <3

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Finally all caught up on the series and this thread. This series definitely knows how to set stakes and the pacing is very well done. If I had a complaint, it's that I've lost count of the number of times something like this has happened:

Big Burly Men: "LOL a bunch of kids."

*Gon and/or Killua do some awesome shit*

Big Burly Men: "OMG WTF"

Seriously it's like a constant trope. We get it, Togashi. Appearances can be deceiving. I get that it builds up the main characters but at this point it's just overused.

Another complaint I had was at the end of the Yorkshin City arc, when Gon and Killua run into the Troupe at the auction but they're like "Meh we don't care about you guys anymore." But... as far as I know, Kurapica is still trying to kill the Spiders. And the Troupe knows Gon and Killua are working with Kurapica. Why would they suddenly not care? I felt it was a sloppy end to a great arc.

Also, the whole "Defeat Knuckle/Morel to go to NGL" thing was a bit dumb. It might make sense that Netero is some keikaku-planning mastermind and set it all up beforehand, but how would he even know Gon/Killua would already be out of the NGL? For all he knew, them and Kite were still in the NGL. Felt like a cheap way to get some more "training" in.

I'm also confused at how strong the first wave of Ants were. Thematically I get trying to raise the stakes and not make the initial wave of enemies total pushovers, but I don't understand how Rammot could be born so strong without the Queen eating any Nen users. One Jajanken from Gon should have split him in two. The "well bugs have tough skin/skeletons" explanation doesn't carry it that far.

Well, I'm climbing down from my soapbox now. :p This is my favorite anime I've seen this year by far, so I'm not just hating to hate. Just had some questions.

The show doesn't really have anything going for it besides decent ratings, which won't be factor since it'll be a late night show.
Blu-Rays don't sell, merchandise doesn't move, the comic is in constant hiatus, so with the move; there's nothing really that'll keep it afloat.

The movie was #1 at the box office the weekend it came out, dunno if that means anything though.

but how would he even know Gon/Killua would already be out of the NGL
I thought they touched this in the last 1-2 eps. Netero is extremely perceptive of what's happening around. He even knew Morel was badmouthing him. He's probably really good at reconnaissance considering one of his simple tricks was to use Nen with his hand as a scope. Pitou couldn't even detect his presence despite the overpowered range of her En.

upandaway

Another complaint I had was at the end of the Yorkshin City arc, when Gon and Killua run into the Troupe at the auction but they're like "Meh we don't care about you guys anymore." But... as far as I know, Kurapica is still trying to kill the Spiders. And the Troupe knows Gon and Killua are working with Kurapica. Why would they suddenly not care? I felt it was a sloppy end to a great arc.
They no longer look at Kurapika as a threat as far as killing him goes, since they assume they can do it easily. The only problem is that they can't do it unless they free Chrollo.

The only thing they could do is maybe capture him until Chrollo's free, but they still don't know 100% of his abilities. I don't think they have any way to induce Zetsu on him, so if they accidentally kill him or he does something while he's trapped, who knows what'll happen. Even we don't know all of Kurapika's abilities, we're still missing one. That's why they're ignoring him completely, and if he comes at them after Chrollo's free, they'll deal with it then.

About Rammot and the first humanified wave, yeah they're already way stronger physically than any human. Jajanken didn't even kill Bomber, even if he was guarding, so a tough ant without Nen control won't be split apart from it either. But he was hurt really really badly.

OmegaX

There are 2 reasons for that: Nen inflicted on a person can become stronger if the Nen user dies. They are worried that if they kill Kurapika then it will be impossible to remove his Nen from Chrollo or maybe Chrollo could die from it. Second, they feel grateful to Gon and Killua for not fleeing from Pakunoda when they had the chance, even though they could have kept Chrollo captive that way. I remember Phinxs thinking both reasons to himself when he talks to Gon at the auction.

Also, the whole "Defeat Knuckle/Morel to go to NGL" thing was a bit dumb. It might make sense that Netero is some keikaku-planning mastermind and set it all up beforehand, but how would he even know Gon/Killua would already be out of the NGL? For all he knew, them and Kite were still in the NGL. Felt like a cheap way to get some more "training" in.
Didn't Killua call Kaito's friends on the phone when he escaped the NGL carrying Gon and one of them replied that "help was on the way"? I assumed they had already contacted the Hunter association.

I'm also confused at how strong the first wave of Ants were. Thematically I get trying to raise the stakes and not make the initial wave of enemies total pushovers, but I don't understand how Rammot could be born so strong without the Queen eating any Nen users. One Jajanken from Gon should have split him in two. The "well bugs have tough skin/skeletons" explanation doesn't carry it that far.
This one I can agree. Insects are much stronger and durable than humans proportionally to the size of their bodies but Togashi fucked up making his universe one in which humans can push through doors that weight 4 Tons without even using Nen.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I thought they touched this in the last 1-2 eps. Netero is extremely perceptive of what's happening around. He even knew Morel was badmouthing him. He's probably really good at reconnaissance considering one of his simple tricks was to use Nen with his hand as a scope. Pitou couldn't even detect his presence despite the overpowered range of her En.

Yeah, I guess I was just more confused at the time than I am now. It just seemed odd.

They no longer look at Kurapika as a threat as far as killing him goes, since they assume they can do it easily. The only problem is that they can't do it unless they free Chrollo.

The only thing they could do is maybe capture him until Chrollo's free, but they still don't know 100% of his abilities. I don't think they have any way to induce Zetsu on him, so if they accidentally kill him or he does something while he's trapped, who knows what'll happen. Even we don't know all of Kurapika's abilities, we're still missing one. That's why they're ignoring him completely, and if he comes at them after Chrollo's free, they'll deal with it then.

There are 2 reasons for that: Nen inflicted on a person can become stronger if the Nen user dies. They are worried that if they kill Kurapika then it will be impossible to remove his Nen from Chrollo or maybe Chrollo could die from it. Second, they feel grateful to Gon and Killua for not fleeing from Pakunoda when they had the chance, even though they could have kept Chrollo captive that way. I remember Phinxs thinking both reasons to himself when he talks to Gon at the auction.

Even still, it's not like Kurapica is absolutely no threat. Gon and Killua could have ran back and told him that they were at the auction. I guess they're counting on them not doing that based on their "We won't run away since we don't want our friend to kill anymore" memory.

I forgot about them getting that memory though, thanks for jogging my memory.

This one I can agree. Insects are much stronger and durable than humans proportionally to the size of their bodies but Togashi fucked up making his universe one in which humans can push through doors that weight 4 Tons without even using Nen.

Agreed.

Soriku

New episode was alright. Not much happened but the informant deal in NGL was kind of interesting.

The episodes should be coming out every Wednesday now, yeah?

Top Bottom